DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
i can't for the life of me figure out how to send more troops in the square where the enemy (and ally) is battling. or is this impossible?
You need to place them beforehand. This is why Standby/Sortie command can be useful to rotate and heal your forces while they remain on the board.
Depending on your Battalion Setting you can use one army to occupy multiple units if you have a good Tank.
You can then attack them with your Active Combat that are flexible in that you can attack anywhere where there is pressure or tricky opponents.

kidlat020

Jul 5, 2017
I really wanted to like it, but man being unable to move truly and utterly sucks. i mean, watch a random unit destroy one of your buildings and you're just there standing there and forced to do nothing because the game forbids you from making any move.

oh and if that's not enough, you can't choose which squad you're gonna use to defend. or if you'll defend multiple squads or just one.

gameplay sucks.

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
I'm ok with non-moving deployed units, but I just hate that all they do is encounter battles. You probably have your main squad on standby to attack stuff with, and a treasure hunter squad to join that battalion battle, but everything else is encounter battles only. I'm in chapter 5 now, and I still don't even know most of the hero units' tactical skills because they never had a chance to fight in full combat yet.

angryfacecharge

Jul 6, 2017
I really want to rant right now, but I'll just leave this as a cautionary tale because there might be some person who'll end up in the same spot as me one day.

View attachment 2819672

I know that obtuse mechanics that don't get fully explained until it fucks you in the ass out of nowhere and you realize you've been doing things wrong the entire time is part of the whole masochistic and autistic Venus Blood experience, but still.

tl;dr these things actually affect the Ether Core (the game over if this room explodes room). And on higher difficulties and later chapters, they hit like a motherfucker for the rooms.

In the spots early game, you can probably safely ignore these things. But for this particular case, it was a NG+ late game Law route and I was playing on hard difficulty. The whole time I thought that these only affected regular rooms, so I just figured that I'll just rebuild the rooms that get destroyed. Enemies are really aggressive and tanky on higher difficulties, so you'll have your hands full just intercepting them. But then I noticed that after a few turns, I got a random game over. I thought that I reached the turn limit, but no dice, I still had many turns to spare. I reloaded a couple of older saves thinking I got a corrupted save, but upon reaching the same point, instant game over out of nowhere. I even redownloaded the entire game thinking I might've gotten a corrupt and screwy download, but still the same results.

Two hours of trial and error and frustration later, I noticed the the Ether core had a sliver of health left, this is despite no enemy having reached the Ether core room yet. And then it all clicked. All this pain in the ass could've been avoided if the game had a simple "Ether core was destroyed!" prompt when it does. Instead, it just abruptly cuts to a game over screen with no explanation.

So if you're wondering why the game randomly shoves a game over screen to your face, then you're probably oblivious to the fact that the enemy is shelling your Ether cores without you knowing.

This is literally covered in the tutorial so I'm not sure how you can claim it isn't fully explained.

• Haha
Reactions: Kuzousagi and DuniX

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Max-Power Attack: More DMG done by attacks & taken by counters. Lowers reduction to DMG done by user (based on
HP)(max75).

I knew about the first part, but what is the second part of this skill description talking about?

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016
i mean, watch a random unit destroy one of your buildings and you're just there standing there and forced to do nothing because the game forbids you from making any move.
The point is not for you to move, it's to control enemy's movement. That's why you have traps and stuff.
oh and if that's not enough, you can't choose which squad you're gonna use to defend. or if you'll defend multiple squads or just one.
The Squads are ordered based on how they are ordered in the formation screen, top to bottom, likewise the enemy when it says whatever forces "number".
Of course you need to organize them before deployment. It's sometimes a good idea to leave some gaps between the deployed forces.
You can then use the Sortie/Standby to have some control when deployed.
Obviously in the first enemy turn you want to to set your battalion setting to 1 to engage as much as possible but after that you can be flexible with how you decide to engage and redeploy your forces where they are needed.

Last edited:

BlinkA1

Jul 5, 2018
haha, it's funny because i'm like the opposite, i never played the original baldur's gate games so i don't have any knowledge whatsoever of its predecessors, but i played the early access and liked the game a lot, to me, as a standalone game, is interesting and entertaining.
I completed both pillars of eternity games and both pathfinder games, i loved them and i also loved divinity 2.
I personally prefer turn based games in general, and it's one of the things i didn't like about PoE and pathfinder, though you can play the turn based style in pathfinder, it's not a game made to be played that way. I still liked both franchises though.
I'm now playing this game while waiting on BG3, and i like it a lot, just like I liked frontier and hollow, except for the whole birthing thing, i'm not big on fetishes, but to each their own.

Alright, that's understandable I suppose since you've never played the original Baldur's Gate Games made by Bioware. The newer Baldur's Gates is more like a Divinity Original game, they might as well call it Divinity's Gate or something?!

The VenusBlood Hollow Game is kinda better compared to this, but that's just me... Don't forget the tentacles too hahhaha!!!

Turn-based play-style has its place, however I prefer Real-Time Pause since I like my games to be faster that's why I really like about Pillars Of Eternity and Pathfinder Series of games. They were made originally for Infinity Engine Game Veterans to play with since we didn't get a proper sequel to Baldur's Gate and Dragon Age is kinda inferior and left us wanting for more...

Adding turn-based game play option was an afterthought since it was not the original design in the first place. Just a way to cater more people to buy their games and appease the hard core turn based players... Tactical Real Time Pause is still the most optimal way to play these games and only the veterans can really appreciate for what they are.

Although turn-based game play works best with games like XCOM and Heroes of Might of Magic games or others similar to it.

Tried playing Divinity Original Sin. I didn't really like the RPG systems and how the Merchants work in the game.

If you like Turn Based so much, try playing Blackguards although that game is kind hard...

SagingCoffee

Jun 26, 2021
This is literally covered in the tutorial so I'm not sure how you can claim it isn't fully explained.
Well fuck me, I just checked and it really is. But it's in a quick blurb that doesn't even have a demonstrative section to practice. But I maintain that its something that was still poorly implemented and could've easily went out of mind considering that:

1. The in-game (not the specific tutorial mode) tutorial regarding surface forces indicates that attacking surface forces are optional and not needed for a victory.
2. The amount of actual fights with a substantial amount of surface forces dedicated to shelling your rooms are few and nowhere near as dangerous as they were in that late game mission.

When you're dozens of hours deep into base and team building, you can't blame a person for losing track of all the potential cards an enemy has at their hand, especially for when its a trick thats not often used to that deadly extent. And fine, I'm all for punishing players for not adapting when the enemy suddenly changes tactics and deadliness for certain tricks, but for when they get screwed over, at least tell them why they got fucked. A simple "core is going critical" for when it's in danger or "core got destroyed" when it does will help amazingly. Not randomly booting you to a game over screen without even explaining why is what I'm getting at.

Memorin

Sep 6, 2017
Well fuck me, I just checked and it really is. But it's in a quick blurb that doesn't even have a demonstrative section to practice. But I maintain that its something that was still poorly implemented and could've easily went out of mind considering that:

1. The in-game (not the specific tutorial mode) tutorial regarding surface forces indicates that attacking surface forces are optional and not needed for a victory.
2. The amount of actual fights with a substantial amount of surface forces dedicated to shelling your rooms are few and nowhere near as dangerous as they were in that late game mission.

When you're dozens of hours deep into base and team building, you can't blame a person for losing track of all the potential cards an enemy has at their hand, especially for when its a trick thats not often used to that deadly extent. And fine, I'm all for punishing players for not adapting when the enemy suddenly changes tactics and deadliness for certain tricks, but for when they get screwed over, at least tell them why they got fucked. A simple "core is going critical" for when it's in danger or "core got destroyed" when it does will help amazingly. Not randomly booting you to a game over screen without even explaining why is what I'm getting at.
Unfortunately this is kinda like the Fire Emblem problem, except the very first VB game is way too old (and unprofitable) to revamp, so they had to start off with like, the third game in the series that uses this system, Frontier. Frontier does its best to explain everything, but the tutorial itself is like dozens of pages long before we even dive into team composition (team composition can be HUNDREDS of pages long especially if you dive into the details, no joke). So like, what can you do? This game has a depth comparable to that of competitive Pokemon.

Hollow builds on top of Frontier, but it has so many updates and revamps that even veterans find it a very difficult game (last two stages of Deus Mode is no joke if you're going for S rank), so assuming you never finished that game properly, your experience is only going to be more, how to put it, newbie UNfriendly with every new game. Gaia features a new style of gamplay and does explain most of the dungeon mechanics properly - in your case, it SPECIFICALLY tells you to beware of surface squads and that they will threaten you, so like bro that one is on you - but most is not all, and there are certain buttons that neither tooltips nor tutorial explain at all.

So yeah, it's a legacy problem. One that probably can ONLY be fixed by having a massive playerbase. You were never supposed to be told everything (that would take all the fun out of a game), and I bet the devs themselves didn't realize certain sections require extensive tutorials until the players point them out. Take Pokemon for example. The game itself features minimum tutorial and some mechanics were never explained even though they were clearly important. But since it has such a massive playerbase, it doesn't need to explain shit. They can simply let the players figure it out themselves and post it online. VB doesn't have that luxury unfortunately. It has EXTENSIVE guides and tutorials in both Chinese and Japanese language, mind you, but Western? Yeah you guys might wanna write those guides yourselves.

DuniX

Dec 20, 2016

Isn't chapter 3 basically your introduction to those mechanics?
I don't see how you could just skip that.

And it does warn you when they prepare attacks on your base, it's not the game's fault that you mindlessly skip it.
Fair enough about giving you a warning when the core is critical but that's about it.

First turn at the start of the stage should be about observing the enemy forces so it isn't something that you should simply forget.

Yokohama1501

Jan 15, 2019

I'd say your claims go both ways. If you were diligently playing the game, this mechanic is something you should be wary about, especially if it appears in every stage. Also the last 2 stages of the tutorial are practice for offense/defense respectively, but I'm not sure how much they cover.

SagingCoffee

Jun 26, 2021
Isn't chapter 3 basically your introduction to those mechanics?
I don't see how you could just skip that.

And it does warn you when they prepare attacks on your base, it's not the game's fault that you mindlessly skip it.
Fair enough about giving you a warning when the core is critical but that's about it.
I'm aware of the surface forces mechanic. The shelling type enemies too. What slipped my mind is the fact that they apparently affect the core. I'm not even sure if that chapter 3 tutorial actually says that they can damage the core, so they should be a priority in taking out. In fact, what I do explicitly remember is said chapter 3 tutorial saying that dealing with surface force enemies are optional, and its up to you whether you pursue them or not.

For something that can potentially cause an instant game over, you'd think they'd at least try to sell it with more urgency.

if it appears in every stage.
But the shelling type enemies don't appear every stage. And more often than not, it's some kind of backup/buffing/debuff type. And for the times they do appear, they were nowhere near as deadly as they were in that late game mission.
Difficulty spikes are a thing yes, and it was my fault for forgetting that they affect the core. But come on, there should be a more natural transition between "this is a mechanic that inconveniences your base and slowly chips away at the health of the rooms" to "if you don't kill this ASAP, you're gonna get an instant game over".

The game has so many stuff going on all at once, so your attention tends to get focused only on certain aspects. In fact, they actually do warn about stuff you can potentially overlook. For example, the game actually warns you if you're about to reach turn limit. But there is no indicator for something more common like your core taking damage/going critical. And hell, I can do without warnings like that too. But at least tell me why I got a game over. "Allied forces routed!" "Turn limit reached!" "Ether Core destroyed!". A simple prompt like that would've done plenty. Don't just abruptly cut to a black game over screen man.

Nemo de Nemo

Jul 30, 2020
So is it best to treat every VB game as it's own seperate entity but having nigh identical combat systems (squad building, mainly)?

adrienmage

May 26, 2018
Someone knows how to unlock more fighters to birth, I'm at chapter 3 and I still have the choice with the same at the beginning

Ragsmu

May 22, 2018
Someone knows how to unlock more fighters to birth, I'm at chapter 3 and I still have the choice with the same at the beginning
actually - new fighters options are open by unlocking new arcana and making it for the first time. Cradles are to increase births per mother.

4.30 star(s) 4 Votes