ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Backer units are hilarious and broken. Fairy Dragon Liese is a loli version of a loli character. Let that sink in. (I appreciate and salute your honesty, backers.) Also, she has Evade 70 and Tiny Physique 50, with a whopping 1 base Defense. Did someone say "perfect decoy"? Oh yeah, and she has Squad Boost 20 and Surround Null (Cross/Pierce/Wide/All Null) as leader skills.

Loli Ayame has All Attack, Multi-Ailment, Cancelling Attack (null Boost/Command/Formation effects), and Seal Attack (null Blast/Field skills and per-round healing skills). She strips all skill-based stat boosts and negates per-round damage and healing on hit, and she does it to an entire division at once. Hit all three enemy divisions in a battalion, and what are they supposed to do?

Loli Elea has Treasure Hunt 38. And one of her leader skills is Treasure Hunt 12. She also has Poison Field 12 and Amplification 15, and Poison Shell 10 is her other leader skill. Poison is the only "element" of damage that can't be resisted by skills like Spell Barrier (it's the VB equivalent of "piercing" or "true" damage). You specifically need the Poison or Undead types to nullify it.

I haven't even seen them all yet, and I can't wait to see the broken mess that is the other backer units.

viktor2104

Jul 30, 2017
I fucking hate how they lock the Harem ending with an option that goes all the way back to Chapter 4.

Also, Karvia was the reason I endured the entire grind fes, just to find out she has very few scenes (compare to other Dark Lords)

Reactions: Elementalix

Perveckt

Jun 18, 2020
I'm having difficulty figuring out why Leon's team can't seem to hold its own. Any one willing to help me understand why they are doing so bad? I have other teams that are doing great at this point so i think i have most of it figured out.

Sheep-san

Jul 18, 2017
I'm having difficulty figuring out why Leon's team can't seem to hold its own. Any one willing to help me understand why they are doing so bad? I have other teams that are doing great at this point so i think i have most of it figured out.
from a glance
-no type boost synergy. the "insert type" boost really helps. it's likely that command division is your only division stat buff on this team.
-you don't seem to be using your formation advantage
-priest can be an easy snipe depending on her skill
-leon isn't using any item... i'm guessing the others are not using anything as well

one of the fundamental strat is to have most units on the squad share at least one type and then boost the shit outta it. When you get in combat you'll notice a huge stat difference. Dragon, undead, night, human, demon boosts are some common ones to have. keeping a night/undead team is useful and use them to exclusively attack during the night for a stat boost is pretty nice early game.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
In the future, when asking for build advice, it would be useful to include where all the units are from. For example, Ersatz Ice Statue, Ersatz Living Statue, Ersatz Puppeteer, Clergy Priest, and Sprite Sword Genie. I had to look up that last one.

Anyway, several things stand out:
  • Leon works best in a Mech or Man party early on. Put him with units from the Ersatz category or units like Demihuman Cowgirl, Devil Devil Nurse, and Demihuman War Cat, who have Man Boost. Be careful with Devil Succubus, since she's a Night unit.
    • Don't be afraid to put Anora under his leadership. Her initial leader skills aren't as useful as his. Both of them have universal Boost/Command skills, and they work well together.
  • That entire division doesn't have Range Attack. While it's perfectly fine to build a division without it, this means everyone's taking full counterattack damage unless it's a party of Dragons.
  • Leon doesn't have any items equipped. That means he's taking counterattack damage and is being blocked by Defense Formation. Give him Range Attack to fix both issues, or give him Dragon Scales and Flank Attack.
  • Puppeteer is a good Destroyer, but she has the same problems as Leon. Worse, you don't get access to Tacticas to rehire her until later and her equipment selection is far less useful. Rather than fix her problems, it's better to capitalize on her strengths with Rank 3 Rampaging Beast Claws and Rank 3 Genin Robes and just accept that she's gonna take a beating. Her job as a Destroyer is to dismantle the enemy Guarder anyway (while also bombarding the unfortunate units around it).
  • Priest isn't doing that division any favors. She isn't boosting them or being boosted by them, and her healing isn't enough to justify her inclusion. Swap her out or make her the decoy (put her immediately before your Forward Guard unit).
  • Low priority: you don't need two Destroyers, and either one can be replaced with Ersatz Merkava, Ersatz Useless Maid, Demihuman Goblin Smith (with Defense Only or Range Attack), or Demihuman Kobold Engineer.
  • Even lower priority: Ice Statue is better with Judecca leading an Ice division. Small nitpick.

Last edited:

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
from a glance
-no type boost synergy. the "insert type" boost really helps. it's likely that command division is your only division stat buff on this team.
-you don't seem to be using your formation advantage
-priest can be an easy snipe depending on her skill
-leon isn't using any item... i'm guessing the others are not using anything as well

one of the fundamental strat is to have most units on the squad share at least one type and then boost the shit outta it. When you get in combat you'll notice a huge stat difference. Dragon, undead, night, human, demon boosts are some common ones to have. keeping a night/undead team is useful and use them to exclusively attack during the night for a stat boost is pretty nice early game.
To add to this, the best early-game types to build around are:
  • any/Mech as Tactica are unlocked (Leader Leon + Anora)
    • Anora can lead her own division, but it's difficult to boost her early, so she tends to be the decoy
  • Beast (Leader Noel + Lynette + Ratatosk is already an amazing starter trio; prioritize Demihuman over Beast category, but Beast Cerberus is a notable pickup)
  • Man/Nature (Leader Sprite Alraune for Command Man 15; can overlap with Beast, and there are more than enough units between them for two solid divisions; prioritize Sprite and Yamato categories)
  • Divine (Leader Sylvia; be sure to get Flank/Range Attack on attackers and Forward Guard on Clergy Sentinel)
    • This is a noteworthy division in that you will naturally unlock higher tier units from the Clergy category to swap in for your weaker ones. You can also form two solid divisions with a mix of units from both tiers later.
  • Ice (Leader Judecca; units from various categories like Beast Blizzard Bear, Yamato Yuki-Onna, Ersatz Ice Statue, and the Merc Vikings)
Other viable early types:
  • Demon/Night
  • Aqua (after unlocking Giant Tactica and with it, Beast Kraken; this is a solid Treasure Hunt division with the trinity of Merc pirates in Viking Guard, Pirate, and Buccaneer if you don't make Judecca field the Vikings)
    • Anora works as the decoy in this party if you give the Merc Viking Guard the Forward Guard skill
  • Human (this is by far the weakest available, but you can definitely get places with it, plus it naturally upgrades like the Clergy category)
After your first Dark Lord, Undead becomes more viable. Each Dark Lord easily forms a powerful division of their own as well. Human may seem great at first glance, but you need specific titles and items to get the most out of them, so be careful.

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017
Ahahahahahahahahahaha. Holy f*ck, this Alioth scenario. Fool's Lie 3 and Max-Power Attack 999? This is new, right?

EDIT: Recovery 100. F*ck. Self-Destruct 250. Double f*ck. Nothing like watching your units kill themselves over and over again. It's like trying to speed through Necrograd all over again. Also I like how they're positioned to get around Pierce Attack and Cross Attack even though TWO OF THEM HAVE SURROUND NULL. What does this even look like on Thanatos?

At least I get to listen to cool music.

Last edited:

Tarwion

Jul 21, 2017
I think there is something that im not getting about the game,i played through chapter 1 and first map of chapter 2(
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
)and it was honestly pretty straight forward to get S++ on the maps without a need to alter the divisions the game starts you with,all the while hoarding all the resources.And then the next map,the difficulty spikes,and i cant even beat it ,let alone get an S rating.I tried creating some custom divisions with a decoy and guard forward to protect it as i read online,but im still getting destroyed...

All the units that i have since chapter 1 are pretty much lvl 12-13,while the fresh recruits are 1,do levels matter a lot?If so how could i level up my low level units?

How many divisions should i even have?Is there too much or too little?

Should i have just 1 battalion that attacks while the rest just chill and defend?

Is there a reason not to deploy a division?

Is equipment important?I have yet to bother with it until i understand the stats/mechanics of the game better

How easily can i get softlocked if i make the wrong choices recruiting units?

Do units in a division have to share a type in order to maximize their potential?

Ragsmu

May 22, 2018
I think there is something that im not getting about the game,i played through chapter 1 and first map of chapter 2(
)and it was honestly pretty straight forward to get S++ on the maps without a need to alter the divisions the game starts you with,all the while hoarding all the resources.And then the next map,the difficulty spikes,and i cant even beat it ,let alone get an S rating.I tried creating some custom divisions with a decoy and guard forward to protect it as i read online,but im still getting destroyed...

All the units that i have since chapter 1 are pretty much lvl 12-13,while the fresh recruits are 1,do levels matter a lot?If so how could i level up my low level units?

Should i have just 1 battalion that attacks while the rest just chill and defend?

Is equipment important?I have yet to bother with it until i understand the stats/mechanics of the game better

Do units in a division have to share a type in order to maximize their potential?

level up is by fighting in general - also passive exp income from your military stat
you want as much army built as you can. 6 squads (2 teams of 3) is the minimum i would say.
attack and defense is depending on situation
Equipment is important - you want to use all the drops you can get.
if you are playing normal (which you are, no way you get s++ on hard lol) you can drop difficulty from event menu. and when you are on easy - you can just use "win the battle" button so no softlock. Hard is another story and full on suffering for those who know mechanics.
Units in division need to share type and have "type boost" skill to maximize potential

Reactions: Tarwion

ShinV

Aug 10, 2017

In order:

Click on Operation at the bottom right, then Internal Affairs. Invest in Military. This is how you gain passive exp. Until your second Dark Lord, one turn of passive exp gain with proper investment is enough to get your new units off the ground and viable.

Early on, you want four so you can attack with a full battalion and still be able to defend somewhere. Typically, you want to aim for at least six combat-viable divisions. This allows you to command two full battalions (one for conquest and another for base defense, though most of the time you will be using both to attack). Later, you will find it useful to have access to another full battalion's worth (nine total), but you will never really need more than that.

See above.

Yes. Any units that aren't useful in a fight are relegated to Internal Affairs. They have to be assigned to a division for that. Just dump them in your 30th, 31st, and 32nd divisions and forget they exist. It's not that important.

Equipment is very important. You basically want all your attackers to have either Flank Attack or Range Attack. If they already have either of those, then you want Critical Boost if they have high Speed, or Lethal Critical if they already have Critical Boost. If they have ALL of that, then it's not as important. Give them Dragon Scales if you can.

Easy difficulty has an instant win button. If you want to ease into learning VB, I recommend playing on Easy (obviously don't push the instant win button). There's no turn limit and no penalty for taking forever to clear a mission. Even if you wasted all your Tactica, you will always have OpsMage+Leon+Anora and Noel+Lynette+Ratatosk as backup divisions. Sylvia+Judecca is not optimal, but still viable if you want to start clean.

Yes, type-centric teams are a HUGE deal. See my previous posts.

Reactions: Tarwion

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
Is there some hidden mechanic for Godly Physique? The description seems like it is the same as hardy physique except it also protects from self destruct dmg. Why is it that it is so expensive to get like 1 or 2 points of this skill from medals?

ndbl1992

Dec 21, 2018
I finished Law Route and now NG+ to Chaos Route. Which option should I choose to collect all commander form of Sylvia and Leonhardt ?
Collect.PNG

Last edited:
4.10 star(s) 15 Votes