VN Ren'Py Abandoned Vinland [v0.1.8a Public] [HuitiemeGame]

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes

Seewolf

Feb 27, 2019
This game is really funny so far, I like the setting a lot. But why those silly horned Skyrim fantasy helmets, instead of realistic nasal helmets? The sword of the mc is also very much anachronistic, since it's a sword design of some centuries later. Early medieval swords had a different design, especially the crossguard was much smaller. Would be great, if such details like helmets and weapons were put more in line with the time frame this game tries to cover... Anyway looking forward to the next update.

Last edited:
Reactions: 215303j

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
This game is really funny so far, I like the setting a lot. But why those silly horned Skyrim fantasy helmets, instead of realistic nasal helmets? The sword of the mc is also very much anachronistic, since it's a sword design of some centuries later. Early medieval swords had a different design, especially the crossguard was much smaller. Would be great, if such details like helmets and weapons were put more in line with the time frame this game tries to cover... Anyway looking forward to the next update.
Thank you, unfortunately, those were the only assets I had when I've made the prologue. At least, the MC makes fun of the horns as well. Regarding the sword, it's supposed to be strange even within the story and not a simple sword. I've toyed with the idea of redoing the renders now that I have better assets, but progress is slow enough already :/

Seewolf

Feb 27, 2019
Thank you, unfortunately, those were the only assets I had when I've made the prologue. At least, the MC makes fun of the horns as well. Regarding the sword, it's supposed to be strange even within the story and not a simple sword. I've toyed with the idea of redoing the renders now that I have better assets, but progress is slow enough already :/
On the sword, there were special early medieval swords, which were called being of very high quality. The mc could have one of those, it would add historic flavour to your really nice game so far - I mean, in case you might find the time to remake a few items in order to make them fit more to the historic timeline. Don't get me wrong, apart from those anachronisms, I really very much like your game, the humour and the idea of it. (y)

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
As much as I like Ulfberht swords, I think they would be visually not distinctive enough.

I have already suggested the second sword from the left here:

This one:

It's a too early for the Viking period, instead belonging to the Vendel period, but it would fit the "ancient heirloom" story, which is supported by the saga's but not really be archeology as far as I know.

And it is visually distinctive from "normal" Viking age swords.

But I fully understand Huitie about not wanting to redo renders, and, (correct me if I'm wrong Huitie) this game is not meant to be absolutely historically correct but instead project a certain athmosphere that belongs to the timeframe portrayed but at the same time is light and humourous.

Personally I think of this game as a 3D adult version of Asterix, which I mean as really high praise.

And in Asterix it's also perfectly fine if e.g. Goths are wearing WW1 era pickelhaube helmets, because it's visually distinctive and on-point in the context.
I do suddenly wonder what FreyFrey would look like with Obelix trousers :unsure:

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
But I fully understand Huitie about not wanting to redo renders, and, (correct me if I'm wrong Huitie) this game is not meant to be absolutely historically correct but instead project a certain atmosphere that belongs to the timeframe portrayed but at the same time is light and humourous.
Exactly. I'm not saying I deviate from historical accuracy willingly, and I wish to keep the suspension of disbelief as much as I can, but there's just so much I can do with the assets I have, so let's just say the story happens in a parallel universe where some Vikings use pointy helmets and Vinland was discovered by a 6'5'' redheaded woman with a scarred face and big boobies. I mean, nothing really stops me from adding fantastic elements in the story, like dragons or AK47. Who's gonna bitch about helmets and swords when you see Vikings playing "capture the flag" with grenades and laser shields?*

* won't actually happen.

Maayyybe but if you look a bit below that you can see Huitty's face among my Patreon pledges ;)
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes