VN Ren'Py Abandoned Vinland [v0.1.8a Public] [HuitiemeGame]

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes

F1forhalp

SOTD: Celtic Frost - Morbid Tales
Donor
Oct 28, 2019
No one's judging, bro
it's about the sword k? :D
made mine to be a perfect fit for exactly my own arm length. too short, you lose reach, too long, you lose speed/agility.
you may want one hand free to steer the horse, so that's the right sword for me.
on ground, i prefer a heavy dagger over shield, for the off hand.

F1forhalp

Donor
Oct 28, 2019
View attachment 883789

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

..did you just Bean me there..?
-anyhoo to topic, usually vikings are said to prefer broad swords, and pretty likely they had then custom made for their personal use. i get sick when i see nowdays swords made for show, "um dis be viking k" made of W2 or the likes, or erm Damast (don't get me started on what people call damast) they didn't have that. no need to call it magic, usually it would be some blacksmith trying his best to somehow put together whatever iron was spare in his village.

Reactions: 215303j

F1forhalp

Donor
Oct 28, 2019
Except that longswords didn't exist in the Viking age... Grip lengths of Viking swords ranged from about 8.5 - 10 cm. As for Freydis having small hands, she's something like 190 cm tall, so I suppose her hands are not particularly dainty.

There is a longsword with a Viking-like hilt in the Nationalmuseet in Copenhagen, but that is a late medieval parade sword, not an actual Viking sword.
true, however there have been longswords around the viking heydays, just not up north. some really really old celtic longswords had been found, with half the scientists in argument if they'd be fake, because they showed what was it, too good technology, of something like that. layered iron, varying grade of carbon. best guess, they too used what they had.
that's why i was thinking this particular sword wasn't originally made for her. pragmatic vikings, if it's useful in any way, you rip it off that corpse. if it's iron, you take it anyway, because iron is sparse.

• Thinking Face

razgriz416

Feb 16, 2019
Pommel looks like it could have come off a Ulfberht (1000-1200 AD) sword, it is lobed, but not nearly uhm... "dumpling" shaped enough. Blade shape is similar to an Ingelrii (1100-1300 AD) sword. Ingelrii swords were fullered, but Ulfberhts generally were not (if they did have fullers, they were VERY short). It's mostly a Type X (but the tip is pointed, rather than rounded), which was common during the late viking age, until about 1400 AD. The crossguard has the correct features to be a gaddhjalt (or "spike hilt") but tapers in the wrong direction. Problem? Ulfberht, Ingelrii and Type X swords are all one-handed, and that's clearly hand and a half.

All of it's features are relatively period correct. That said... It's obvious that it was made by someone who's sword knowledge comes from movies. It's a mash-up of "sword features", which are all generally correct, but each one has a caveat that makes it... weird.

That said, it's a game, so who gives a shit?

• Thinking Face

F1forhalp

Donor
Oct 28, 2019
Pommel looks like it could have come off a Ulfberht (1000-1200 AD) sword, it is lobed, but not nearly uhm... "dumpling" shaped enough. Blade shape is similar to an Ingelrii (1100-1300 AD) sword. Ingelrii swords were fullered, but Ulfberhts generally were not (if they did have fullers, they were VERY short). It's mostly a Type X (but the tip is pointed, rather than rounded), which was common during the late viking age, until about 1400 AD. The crossguard has the correct features to be a gaddhjalt (or "spike hilt") but tapers in the wrong direction. Problem? Ulfberht, Ingelrii and Type X swords are all one-handed, and that's clearly hand and a half.

All of it's features are relatively period correct. That said... It's obvious that it was made by someone who's sword knowledge comes from movies. It's a mash-up of "sword features", which are all generally correct, but each one has a caveat that makes it... weird.

That said, it's a game, so who gives a shit?
the problem i see there, it's not a broadsword. blade is too lean, pommel would be somewhat bigger with any of the variants you mention, else the balance would be off. i'd go along with Thialf and say it's not really a viking sword. then again, it's useful so she'll use it. rite? :D

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
I think Huitieme posted somewhere that Freydis is 1.90 / 6'5 tall, so quite a bit taller than the average Viking (approx 1.75, still tall for the era) but not completely out of the realm of possibility.
Everyone's size as a reminder:
  • Adelaïde 155cm
  • Leif 167cm
  • Shanaw 172cm
  • Gudrid 173cm
  • Mydick 174cm
  • Thorfinn 175cm
  • Zaina 179cm
  • Olaf 180cm
  • Freydis 189cm
  • Thorvald 191cm

F1forhalp

Donor
Oct 28, 2019
Thialf soribru can't provide pictures of the sword, it's sent to smitty for a redo; i need a different guard and handle.
the dagger i might have a pic or two, it's some heavy allround knife.
i don't use camera or sillysmartphone, gonna ask waifu where she put hers.

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes