VN Ren'Py Abandoned Vinland [v0.1.8a Public] [HuitiemeGame]

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
In case you weren't around for the Big Controversy (TM) of the late "aughts," a minority of dweebs attempted to introduce BCE/CE as an alternative to BC/AD, because numbering systems are obviously the most pressing issue in modern religious conflict.
Most people, appropriately, didn't give a shit because the concept was dumb and "common era" was simultaneously meaningless and hypocritical.
Nowadays 90% of the time the former units are used it's to make an impotent political statement (i.e. the exact sort of thing "fedora atheists" thrive on)

EDIT: Hah, I didn't realize you were the game's dev! Makes it even more baffling that you would use "CE" when the characters you're writing about were themselves Christian converts who would have, of course, dated everything as AD

Last edited:

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
In case you weren't around for the Big Controversy (TM) of the late "aughts," a minority of dweebs attempted to introduce BCE/CE as an alternative to BC/AD, because numbering systems are obviously the most pressing issue in modern religious conflict.
Most people, appropriately, didn't give a shit because the concept was dumb and "common era" was simultaneously meaningless and hypocritical.
Nowadays 90% of the time the former units are used it's to make an impotent political statement (i.e. the exact sort of thing "fedora atheists" thrive on)
Well, thanks for the explanation. This is the first time I've heard about it, but it's always nice to learn new things. I think I'm siding with most people when I say I don't give half a rat's bottom about this controversy, and just thought, not being a native English speaker, that CE was the most correct form. Although there will be some poking at religion and christianism, it's more because it was an issue of the time (the year of the Vinland expedition correspond to the arrival of evangelization in the Norse) than me making statements one way or another. I have my opinions on religion, but I don't have a high enough opinion of myself to make a game about this.

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
Well, thanks for the explanation. This is the first time I've heard about it, but it's always nice to learn new things. I think I'm siding with most people when I say I don't give half a rat's bottom about this controversy, and just thought, not being a native English speaker, that CE was the most correct form. Although there will be some poking at religion and christianism, it's more because it was an issue of the time (the year of the Vinland expedition correspond to the arrival of evangelization in the Norse) than me making statements one way or another. I have my opinions on religion, but I don't have a high enough opinion of myself to make a game about this.
But what about the fedora ? :unsure:

redknight00

I want to break free
Staff member
Modder
Apr 30, 2017
Don't mind me, I'm just a simple janitor cleaning the off-topic posts.

• Sad
Reactions: Huitieme

sdibolcrif

Jun 24, 2017
Fair enough! I admit I'm a bit... impatient about the whole thing after how many arguments I've gotten in, heh.
Anyway, in that case, AD would be the most accurate - not only because the vast majority still use it, but more importantly for your game, it was simply the most commonly used at the time.
Alternately, if you have knowledge of Norse calendars/timekeeping, that would be the ideal system - both accurate and immersive

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Fair enough! I admit I'm a bit... impatient about the whole thing after how many arguments I've gotten in, heh.
Anyway, in that case, AD would be the most accurate - not only because the vast majority still use it, but more importantly for your game, it was simply the most commonly used at the time.
Alternately, if you have knowledge of Norse calendars/timekeeping, that would be the ideal system - both accurate and immersive
Changing from CE to AD would only cost me the time it takes to delete two letters and type to other letters, so I have no objection. But your idea about a Norse calendar? I love it! I don't even know how I didn't think of it first. I'd have to make some research, but if possible, it'd be great :D

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
Changing from CE to AD would only cost me the time it takes to delete two letters and type to other letters, so I have no objection. But your idea about a Norse calendar? I love it! I don't even know how I didn't think of it first. I'd have to make some research, but if possible, it'd be great :D
That got me curious and I'm doing my own research, so far I found that they used special events such as coronations to count the years, so I'm searching who was the king of Greenland in 1008 and when was his coronation

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
That got me curious and I'm doing my own research, so far I found that they used special events such as coronations to count the years, so I'm searching who was the king of Greenland in 1008 and when was his coronation
Well, that one is easy and kinda spoilery :p (But do search for it, then you're gonna impress people at fancy dinners about your knowledge of Greenland paramount chieftain circa 1008 AD :D)

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
From what I found Greenland was just settlements at that time, it wasn't until 1261 that it was submitted to Norwegian rules.
Since Erik The Red was Norwegian it would be logical to use the reign of the King of Norway as reference, but in 1000 Norway was capture by Denmark, so it would be year 8 of King Sweyn Forkbeard of Denmark's reign, or 8 years after the Battle of Svolder since they also used battles as milestone.

Reactions: Huitieme

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Granted all that research might have been for nothing since Norway adopted the Julian calendar around 1000 AD so Greenland probably did the same :p
But now, you know more about it than a lot of people do :)
Learning is fun \o/ (and there will be some smut down the line)

NeimadFR

Donor
Jul 1, 2017
But you could use the Julian calendar year mixed with the Viking Lunar calendar months it would be exotic

215303j

>CE

...Great. Do I need to own a fedora in order to appreciate this game?
Fedora's were not yet in fashion in 1008 CE.

You may need a woolen hat or maybe a helmet, if you are easily scared in battle.

Guyin Cognito

Gentleman Pervert
Donor
Feb 23, 2018
Hmm, multiple votes and a high score...
People seem to be responding well, but, it's only v0.1b...
Well, let's have a look at these sample pictur--OH MY GOD!
I didn't even realize I had a thing for full-body freckles, but apparently I do!
Download faster, you stupid machine!
PC: "I'm going as fast as I can. You know you're the one who chose this connection speed..."
I'm the human, and you're the inanimate object! You do as I say!
PC: *sigh* (Just wait for the uprising. Any day now...)

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

Busy week
Hello my little Vikings!
Last week has been quite busy with real life work and social events, so I don't have a lot of news, except that now that the Scholar Gudrid path is done, I can finally start working on Freydis' path :)
Yeah! Yeah! Freydis! Freydis!
I hear ya, lil' fellas! Once this part is done, I'll only have to do two more (shorter) and I'll be ready for a release. So... See you in 2024? :x
Quick peeking

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes