4.60 star(s) 34 Votes

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
You're more than welcome!

If I can give some small comments on this render:

- Each crew member would have his own chest. These chests were used as benches for the rowers to sit on and would contain their personal belongings.

- Barrels should be transported laying down (and not standing up like in your render). They should also be properly lashed:

(go to ch. 6 Securing against sliding and tipping)
That's great stuff! And I wish I thought about this before setting to rendering chapter 1, as of now there would be hundreds of renders to update to reflect this information... :/

There actually is a chest in Gudrid's path, as part of the plot, but I think I'll have to count on your suspension of disbelief for the rest. That being said, I'll start preparing the new renders for the following parts (and maybe work on the old ones after this release).

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
Nice info, only extra thing I could add is the sail being made of multiple different cloths to make it multicolored probably wasn't a thing back then and just was added in the later legends.

215303j

That's great stuff! And I wish I thought about this before setting to rendering chapter 1, as of now there would be hundreds of renders to update to reflect this information... :/
I don't worry about that.
I doubt there are even Daz assets which have properly lashed barrels.

And I like Gudrid's chest(s)! :p

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
Nice info, only extra thing I could add is the sail being made of multiple different cloths to make it multicolored probably wasn't a thing back then and just was added in the later legends.
That's the only asset I had for the ship :(
And it's all in a full block (sail, ropes, keel, etc.). Luckily (?), we won't stay too long on the ship. I mean, it's called "Vinland", not "Shipland" :p
I still have a few events in mind for the trip, but if Shanaw (and some others) want to make an appearance... ;p

I don't worry about that.
I doubt there are even Daz assets which have properly lashed barrels.

And I like Gudrid's chest(s)! :p
Tried as I might, I couldn't find any. I'll look into playing with ropes later. It might prove useful for a few scenes as well :3

215303j

It's a good question...
Sails did need to be made of different cloths anyway because they were too big to weave in one piece.
Also different pieces of cloths allow you to shape the sail.
Then colour (esp. red) would have made the sails very expensive, and given that sails don't last forever, it seems wasteful.
On the other hand, we do know the Vikings loved colours and outward displays (look at their shields).\
My guess is that coloured sails would be more or less reserved for special occasions and/or special persons, and not be used on a "simple" cargo / expedition ship.

CrazyRabbit

Engaged Member
Oct 30, 2019
It's a good question...
Sails did need to be made of different cloths anyway because they were too big to weave in one piece.
Also different pieces of cloths allow you to shape the sail.
Then colour (esp. red) would have made the sails very expensive, and given that sails don't last forever, it seems wasteful.
On the other hand, we do know the Vikings loved colours and outward displays (look at their shields).\
My guess is that coloured sails would be more or less reserved for special occasions and/or special persons, and not be used on a "simple" cargo / expedition ship.
From what I could find, it seems their sails where colored no matter the expedition or the people on board. Since they pillaged a lot, I assume they never had to pay for color....
But if someone can definitely prove me right or wrong, please do. :)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018

There actually is a chest in Gudrid's path, as part of the plot, but I think I'll have to count on your suspension of disbelief for the rest. That being said, I'll start preparing the new renders for the following parts (and maybe work on the old ones after this release).

That looks more like her trunk than her chest ...wait, am I looking at the wrong thing?
That's the only asset I had for the ship :(
And it's all in a full block (sail, ropes, keel, etc.). Luckily (?), we won't stay too long on the ship. I mean, it's called "Vinland", not "Shipland" :p
I still have a few events in mind for the trip, but if Shanaw (and some others) want to make an appearance... ;p

Tried as I might, I couldn't find any. I'll look into playing with ropes later. It might prove useful for a few scenes as well :3
As long as there are no real moving parts, give me a picture or so and I will see what I can do.

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018
As long as there are no real moving parts, give me a picture or so and I will see what I can do.
That's nice of you, but it won't be necessary. I guess I'll make do with what I have, it shouldn't bother me too much for what's left to do on the ships anyway.

My last batch is finally (almost) over, and there should be only a handful of renders left to reach the end of this update :D

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
That's nice of you, but it won't be necessary. I guess I'll make do with what I have, it shouldn't bother me too much for what's left to do on the ships anyway.

My last batch is finally (almost) over, and there should be only a handful of renders left to reach the end of this update :D

Well, as always, just give me a yell if I can do something to help, and something like that sounds reasonably easy, depending on how exact you want it. XD

Reactions: Huitieme

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017

Bottom middle girl must have trained as a mime, because she is using that invisible stool like a pro, or she just does a lot of squats.

I would say throw it in an "extra gallery" or something, so you don't have to do an update with a newer addie etc, just have a title like Early Render paid for in part by Hugh Hefnerson.

• Haha
Reactions: TheDevian

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

Hear ye, hear ye! Freydis' path is finally done, the last render having been churned out a few hours ago, so I can officially tell you Vinland Chapter 1 release is soon upon us!

I plan to spend a few days tweaking what needs to be tweaked (music, bug testing, general feel of the play, etc...) and I need to make the Freydis bonus pics I promised you as well a few years back. For now, I'll give up on the idea to make the notebook feature work, because it doesn't seem essential for this release, but it should be added in the next one, as chapter 1 isn't over yet, even with what we have now (~800 renders and ~3000 code lines compared to the prologue with its measly 181 renders and 800 codes lines). I think I bit more than I could chew with trying to release the full first chapter in one go, and the next update should be almost as big but should take way less time cos' I'll be reusing assets I've begun to master. By the way, I'm sorry for Gudrid's fans (you know who you are), but the rendering quality between her path and Freydis' one makes it look like it'd be two different games :/

Oh well, I'll do better next time :D

For now, what we should focus on, you and I, is that I fully intend to have the game available for everyboby (and I do mean every Bobby) by Friday night, French time. hopefully, it will give me enough time to do what must be done, and if a few things are still in need of fixing, then I'll count on all my beta testers out there!

Regarding my promise not to take your money until chapter 1 is released... I'll stay true(ish) to my word. I know X-mas time can be quite demanding for everyone, so I won't charge for the release post, but I will instead switch to monthly payment. If anyone wishes to leave the train after grabbing the game, feel free to do so, the first chapter will be made available publicly anyway (and even though, I bet you would know where to procure it, you rascals :p).

Huitieme

Scholarrior
Donor
Game Developer
Oct 9, 2018

Vinland v0.1.3a is out, biatches
Hi everyone! This is early Xmas for you :)
A little bit more than a year ago, I've come to learn about the world of adult games, and soon an idea popped in my head: "Eh, it doesn't seem too hard, I bet I can make one!" On both accounts, I was right and wrong. True, it's not too hard, but it ain't easy either. And whether or not I can make one... It'll all depend on what you think of this release!
If we forget about the month of October (IRL obligations, no time to work on the game), I've spent around 4 months on this update. It's slow, I know. Which is why I intend to have shorter releases later on, unless the narration imperatives force me to change my plans once more. We'll see.
Regarding the release workflow, this update is totally free and open to everyone, patron or not. Starting from the next one, I'll first release the beta version more or less as soon as it's done to 10$ patrons, and then after one week, it'll go live. My objective is to have some time to fix potential bugs before giving it up to the world. That being said, this version *is* a beta and I'm counting on all of you to give me lots and lots of feedback and report any bug you may encounter.
Replayability is a big component of this chapter, as there's just no way you could see everything in one playthrough. There are two main paths: Freydis warrior and Gudrid scholar (Freydis scholar and Gudrid warrior will come later) and each path will divide into a few others.

Changelog v0.1.3a
  • First part of Chapter 1
  • Gudrid scholar path
  • Freydis warrior path
  • + 820 renders (total 1000)
  • + 10 music (total 17)
  • + 9 Freydis bonus renders
  • + 3500 lines
  • + good replayability :)

Btw: if you're wondering, here's how I manage the versioning, v0.1.3a:
  • 0: major release, will only be incremented once the development reaches its end.
  • 1: medium release, I want this number to reflect the last available chapter number. It will be incremented when the story reaches a new chapter.
  • 3: minor release, new updates of various sizes. In this case, it's a 3 because I think we've reached 30% of the first chapter.
  • a: status of the release. "a" is for the first release, beta status if you wish, then I'll change letters depending on the bug fixes.

4.60 star(s) 34 Votes