Collection Mod Unity Virt-A-Mate Mod Assets: Clothing,Environments,Objects,Scenes,Looks,ect.

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 1, 2020
Hi there, I've downloaded the 363+ GB torrent and added all the VAR files to my AddonPackages folder.
I wasn't sure if I can just drop the folders, so I went in each folder and only dragged the .var files. However, my game is now taking a considerable amount of time to load even on a high-end PC.
Is there anything I can do to further optimize performance?
What I do, I have a VAM Install that has everything so I can play with it and see what ones I love. Then I have another VAM install that is my "playroom" with only the content I want. I also have my primary VAM install on a M.2 drive and that helps considerably.

Reactions: beldritch
Jun 19, 2018
What I do, I have a VAM Install that has everything so I can play with it and see what ones I love. Then I have another VAM install that is my "playroom" with only the content I want. I also have my primary VAM install on a M.2 drive and that helps considerably.
Yeah I was kinda exploring the same option right now, just dragging uninteresting .VAR files back into the torrent download folder. I was contemplating getting a VAM clean install in another folder.

I've noticed 2 of the folders within the 363GB folder file also had megapacks in them. I ended up extracting all the .VAR files from those creators in a separate folder to compare. In the case of one creator the Megapack was identical to all the other files so it was just acting as a duplicate and I removed it. The question is, if total file size is exactly the same is it better to keep the megapack or the individual files since they contain no overlap?
The other Megapack seemed to be quite out of date, it was missing several items compared to the merged Custom and Saves extract of all individual .var files from that creator. Once again I ended up removing the Megapack.

Removing these two megapacks alone saved me ~10GB worth of duplicate content.
My question is, why should I keep everything in VAR files instead of just extracting everything and merging them in Custom/Saves/etc folders. Won't that just get rid of duplicates anyway? Is it really more efficient to have to read data through 350GB worth of .var files, some of which may be overlapping in terms of content?

Also how much of a difference will upgrading from 16GB ram to 32 make for VAM?

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2020
This is the latest for these creators.

VAM_GS Pack -

Most of Bamair1984 looks/scenes are not VARs and need to be extracted or converted. I am working on converting some of these.
Bamair1984 Pack -

Help a brother out and help convert these! Thanks

Prick

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
My question is, why should I keep everything in VAR files instead of just extracting everything and merging them in Custom/Saves/etc folders.

Also how much of a difference will upgrading from 16GB ram to 32 make for VAM?
VAR's won't mix in with your game files, which makes them easier to remove, and the author can use any file path they want to.
VAR files are just compressed archives, which is why your extracting software can open then. The need to decompress the VAR files in game does increase load time, while not much, the system is there to save on storage space.

The issue is that 90% of the creators using the VAR system make it extremely difficult on everyone else. There is no standard for them, they put their scene's dependencies in all the wrong places. IE, putting textures in the saves folder. It works fine in a VAR, but if you choose to extract it because you don't care about storage space, you have to manually fix the missing pieces when they fail to load. (Only if you care about keeping all of the files in the correct locations for your own use.)

I don't think RAM will have a big effect on VAM's overall performance, VAM memory usage only gets high after being in game for too long, and loading tons of shit. VAM needs a hard reset after you've loaded a bunch of scenes anyway.

I am officially over 200GB in my VAM folder. Half of that is just in clothing and textures. It takes me over 60 seconds to load a person atom on the first launch. My PC is not a potato either. At this point I say fuck it, 2.0 will be released soon(tm) enough, and we can all move on from the problems with this build.

Jun 19, 2018
VAR's won't mix in with your game files, which makes them easier to remove, and the author can use any file path they want to.
VAR files are just compressed archives, which is why your extracting software can open then. The need to decompress the VAR files in game does increase load time, while not much, the system is there to save on storage space.

The issue is that 90% of the creators using the VAR system make it extremely difficult on everyone else. There is no standard for them, they put their scene's dependencies in all the wrong places. IE, putting textures in the saves folder. It works fine in a VAR, but if you choose to extract it because you don't care about storage space, you have to manually fix the missing pieces when they fail to load. (Only if you care about keeping all of the files in the correct locations for your own use.)

I don't think RAM will have a big effect on VAM's overall performance, VAM memory usage only gets high after being in game for too long, and loading tons of shit. VAM needs a hard reset after you've loaded a bunch of scenes anyway.

I am officially over 200GB in my VAM folder. Half of that is just in clothing and textures. It takes me over 60 seconds to load a person atom on the first launch. My PC is not a potato either. At this point I say fuck it, 2.0 will be released soon(tm) enough, and we can all move on from the problems with this build.
Thank you for the in depth explanation.

So right now I am relying exclusively on .var files. The problem is I am encountering duplicates or even 3/4/5 times the same occurence of an item in a list, especially with clothing and hair. Worst part is, even if the items appear to be identical, some of them will work while others will return an error message. I would like to at least be able to remove all duplicates and fix broken links.

Right now I don't care about storage space, I've cleaned up everything on my drive just to get 360GB worth of content for this game.
My understanding is that .var files are compressed. Does this only impact the load time when "inserting" the item in the scene or also the scan of all files to load the lists?

Prick

Engaged Member
Jul 17, 2017
duplicates or even 3/4/5 times the same occurence of an item
That sounds like the fault of the repack not including full dependencies.
But its more the fault of the original creator relying on external dependencies to begin with.
However if every creator included copies of every hair and clothing we'd be swimming in dupes.
VAM just doesn't have any redundancy check for duplicate file names. One of my biggest gripes lately.
Does this only impact the load time when "inserting" the item in the scene or also the scan of all files to load the lists?
I believe that is correct. The one thing I've noticed that slows down my load time, is when loading a person asset for the first time. This is most likely due to the clothing and morphs being mapped out for the UI browser.

WetZoner

Jr. Uploader
Nov 3, 2019
Hi there, I've downloaded the 363+ GB torrent and added all the VAR files to my AddonPackages folder.
I wasn't sure if I can just drop the folders, so I went in each folder and only dragged the .var files. However, my game is now taking a considerable amount of time to load even on a high-end PC.
Is there anything I can do to further optimize performance?
Unfortunately I think the only option with the word "optimize" in it would be to wait for MeshedVR to release the next version of VaM...

I'm glad you posted this, I was almost considering doing the same thing with the whole torrent.
Thanks for the heads up o_o'

Zlaito

Jun 23, 2020
Does anyone has these PLUGINS?

SILVER ROPER:

RE ANIMATOR:

BALANCE 1.2:

Reactions: mobyvandick

user330033

Nov 3, 2020

SEXY TIME soni666
(texture in var RenVR.Lisa_V2.1)

all my morph cca 1Gb sorry

very sexy animation !!!
For beginners Xmas !!!!!! :) :
Extra interiors
Extra real animations
Extra real light and vamifer

No my full real models (Wait my full morphs)
How do you create such detailed animations? Is it motion capture?

Last edited:

Sgrodolo

Sep 1, 2017

I have 32gb and in my system vam alone easily chugs over 10gb

Status
Not open for further replies.
5.00 star(s) 5 Votes