Collection Mod Unity Virt-A-Mate Mod Assets: Clothing,Environments,Objects,Scenes,Looks,ect.

5.00 star(s) 5 Votes
Status
Not open for further replies.

eponge

Oct 21, 2017
Did you try loading vam with vars only no loose files in custom folder? I thought the var meta.json speeds things up by telling vam all files available from that meta file without needing to scan every file. Like looking in a phonebook for someone instead of knocking of every door in the neighborhood.

My initial load time is crap but after loading default chic, I can load 20 more scenes instantly. And my vam folders are a mess. Too lazy to prune. But that christmas gift we all getting, will nuke my current install and start again with fresh install. Even plan on stripping them all down to make mega single vars looks,clothing,hair,assets and scenes.

Also I would turn of indexing windows service if you have a ssd or nvme drive. That slows so much down and slowly kills your nand drive with constant reads and writes. Indexing was great back in the 40MB/s HDD days. Even try excluding your custom, saves and vam cache folders in windows defender. I have many folders that windows has no business scanning constantly. Setting your swap file a set size is better then letting windows decide what size you need. Just set min/max size the same amount of your ram. If you got the extra drives, set swap page file on another drive not on C drive.
Ahah the good old trick of not letting windows take care of your swap! Not much a windows user so I didn't know this still applies on recent windows. It was set to 20GB and I decided it only needs 3GB :) So yeah I suspect it was swapping. Machine has only 16GB RAM.
Anyway, did that and moved to another ssd. Looks a bit better.
Years ago I also disabled search indexing. Until I realized that it indeed breaks searching within files.. But I probably don't need it at the moment :) So I disabled it.

The_Butcher

Aug 28, 2018
Ahah the good old trick of not letting windows take care of your swap! Not much a windows user so I didn't know this still applies on recent windows. It was set to 20GB and I decided it only needs 3GB :) So yeah I suspect it was swapping. Machine has only 16GB RAM.
Anyway, did that and moved to another ssd. Looks a bit better.
Years ago I also disabled search indexing. Until I realized that it indeed breaks searching within files.. But I probably don't need it at the moment :) So I disabled it.
Also I think you might need more ram if you have big load times after initial loading of atoms for model. I kept having long load times even after default chic load in and some crashes while in VR. Doubled my ram and got faster loads after default model and 1 crash in 2 months. I saw Vam was using 15-16 GB after upgrade. I suspect having 16GB ram forces lots of swapping to page file and garbage collecting from ram that dropped frames in VR and increases chance of illegal operations while waiting for IO to catch up. If you still not satisfied with load times, might have to upgrade ram buddy.

The search index is not needed especially if you have NVME drive. It will take no time to search all files in drive. I can make a full drive backup 500GB to another NVMe in 8 min. with it's parallel operations. Even good HDD with 180-200MB/s r/w and big write cache don't need it. It is just windows runs that index service everytime causing drives to get hot and create heat when I can wait a few more seconds when searching for something but have cool quiet machine. There is lots of old software that windows don't care to fix or remove. Like the famous recycling bin memory crash - have more that 50k files deleted and when you look in the bin, it begins to eat your memory until there is no more and your system shutdown without warning. That has been there since I think Vista days.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
5.00 star(s) 5 Votes