4.70 star(s) 17 Votes

brasileirinho

Apr 28, 2021
Use OpenVR with FSR2[...] If you [...] toggle off all other light resource (within watchme with one click)
Can you help me do these steps?

Do you use Virtual Desktop? How do you launch the game for it to run with OpenVR? I tried to use that VRperfkit, but the game becomes so stuttery that it makes my eyes hurt in 30 seconds. And the foveated rendering plugin simply won't work

That 'watchme' is that CheesyPluginSuite feature? I can't find that option to remove light resources

Tomboy Enjoyer

Jr. Uploader
Aug 4, 2021
Can you help me do these steps?

Do you use Virtual Desktop? How do you launch the game for it to run with OpenVR? I tried to use that VRperfkit, but the game becomes so stuttery that it makes my eyes hurt in 30 seconds. And the foveated rendering plugin simply won't work

That 'watchme' is that CheesyPluginSuite feature? I can't find that option to remove light resources
I dont use virtual desktop. Iam closing all unnesesary apps after Steam VR is open (I also close steam), VaM Process is set to realtime and I force the VaM process to NOT use all cores. I ussually take away 4-5 out of 24. (this should counter alot of short stutters but not all!)

For watchme, add the body language plugin to one of your characters. Be aware it has auto handjob and stuff enabled by default so it could break timeline animations. Deactivate all of them under fillmeup/forces tab you dont want to mess up timeline animations. Also the shake chance under "readmylips"sometimes do weird shit to the character on animations, I also deactivated those.

Then go to watchme and hit "install focus on me". You can also add watch triggers like eyes, head and so on so the character with bodylanguage will react if you look at those triggers.
After hitting "install", "lightmeup" will apear in your vam vr menu. Hit the button and just enable C for center light. Then go to sessionplugins/lightme up and set your center light range and strength to your liking and set center light to force pixel.
Deavtivating all scene lights with one click should be on the upper right somewhere.
Then safe just body language as plugin preset.
Now, everytime you add body language and activate lightmeup, your light settings should carry over. Body language is getting updated very often lately so be aware to do this everytime you update the plugin.

For OpenVR, you just have to download the FSR mod from github I believe and copy it you Vam_Data/Plugins
Hub link:
I have tweaked abit around in the config but the standard 0.77 scale is good enough. You can go up to 0.85 but anything beyond doesnt make any difference just worsen the performance, atleast for me.
So set everything up until your SteamVR environment is visable on the VR goggles and then just launch the "VaM (OpenVR).bat" and vam loads up like normally but with FSR2 enabled. You can switch to the Nvidia upscaling with a hotkey but it looks super bad compared to fsr.

Last edited:
Reactions: brasileirinho

Tomboy Enjoyer

Jr. Uploader
Aug 4, 2021
i'm not a fan of GiveMeFPS either.
i already made my own minimum viable light subscene with 2 directional pixel lights.
i thought the hair shader made a huge visual difference, but i guess the lack of shadows is okay if you don't do an A-B comparison all the time.
i don't know how i didn't find this sooner, my 3070 runs at 45 fps (no spaceswap lock) with hair and being close to the character, and 120 fps with no hair at any distance, with all plugins turned off. i have no idea how this is acceptable, i would be pretty mad if i paid for VAM.
...i just found out it's not even the physics that are so taxing, it's just the hair renderer. turning hair sim on and off makes almost no difference.
Thats because when any hair asset is set to "quality", the shadows will apply to every hair layer.
Try disabling ALL light sources and set all hair pieces to fast just for a test and then use the single light from watchme's lightmeup session plugin (set to pixel light and not on standard range).

brasileirinho

Apr 28, 2021
I dont use virtual desktop. Iam closing all unnesesary apps after Steam VR is open (I also close steam), VaM Process is set to realtime and I force the VaM process to NOT use all cores. I ussually take away 4-5 out of 24. (this should counter alot of short stutters but not all!)

For OpenVR, you just have to download the FSR mod from github I believe and copy it you Vam_Data/Plugins
Hub link:
I have tweaked abit around in the config but the standard 0.77 scale is good enough. You can go up to 0.85 but anything beyond doesnt make any difference just worsen the performance, atleast for me.
So set everything up until your SteamVR environment is visable on the VR goggles and then just launch the "VaM (OpenVR).bat" and vam loads up like normally but with FSR2 enabled. You can switch to the Nvidia upscaling with a hotkey but it looks super bad compared to fsr.
Thank you for the thourough explanation. I managed to make lightmeup work. I was looking for a plugin to disable all light sources easily for quite some time to make customization easier. Yay! Thanks!. Although the lights are not making a huge difference in performance...

Tomboy Enjoyer

Jr. Uploader
Aug 4, 2021
Thank you for the thourough explanation. I managed to make lightmeup work. I was looking for a plugin to disable all light sources easily for quite some time to make customization easier. Yay! Thanks!. Although the lights are not making a huge difference in performance...
Combine it with fsr and lower hair asset quality. You will notice a difference.

brasileirinho

Apr 28, 2021
Combine it with fsr and lower hair asset quality. You will notice a difference.
How do I lower hair asset quality? Is it that shader quality that I need to change to fast? Or just reducing the multipler/curve or some other setting that I missed?

I'm not sure fsr will make any difference, because I already use an upscaler. VD uses snapdragon super resolution, which is like fsr but runs on the quest. It's good because it fixes the image after it has been encoded and sent through the network.

The problem with SteamVR is that people say that running with it kills a little bit of performance... Also, I'm having no luck with it. My controllers aren't showing up in VaM (works fine running Half Life Alyx)

Which streamer do you use: Airlink, ALVR, SteamLink?

Tomboy Enjoyer

Jr. Uploader
Aug 4, 2021
How do I lower hair asset quality? Is it that shader quality that I need to change to fast? Or just reducing the multipler/curve or some other setting that I missed?

I'm not sure fsr will make any difference, because I already use an upscaler. VD uses snapdragon super resolution, which is like fsr but runs on the quest. It's good because it fixes the image after it has been encoded and sent through the network.

The problem with SteamVR is that people say that running with it kills a little bit of performance... Also, I'm having no luck with it. My controllers aren't showing up in VaM (works fine running Half Life Alyx)

Which streamer do you use: Airlink, ALVR, SteamLink?
Hair Asset/Look on the bottom right. Default is "Quality", set it to "Fast".

When your controllers are not showing up, you have to set them up correctly within steam vr settings. I had to do the same just for TWD Saints and sinners within steam VR because the default VR controllers were bugged.

Not sure what you mean by streamer, I use displayport with the neo3 link.

Last edited:

ergo36

Oct 24, 2021
Also, I'm having no luck with it. My controllers aren't showing up in VaM (works fine running Half Life Alyx)
I am using a Vive and I can't see my controllers too by default. I have to change the openvr_api.dll with the latest from steam.
Find ".\VAM\VaM_Data\Plugins\openvr_api.dll" in VAM and make a backup.
Copy the newest ".\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win64\openvr_api.dll" from steamvr.
Paths may be different in your end.
Enable controllers in VAM (VR1 tab).

Reactions: mixmox82

Kniffo

Jul 16, 2018
I'm currently running an i9 9900K with 32 GB DDR4 RAM and an RTX 3090. Can anyone tell me if I will experience a performance boost in VAM if I upgrade to an i9 14900K with 64GB DDR 5 RAM?

Last edited:

Streamcraft

Mar 16, 2023
Why vam doesent keep my graphics or launch setting as I want? If I run as administrator cant vr will just wont work.

theMickey_

Engaged Member
Mar 19, 2020
Why vam doesent keep my graphics or launch setting as I want? If I run as administrator cant vr will just wont work.
Make sure you haven't installed VaM into a protected folder, which can only be accessed (or rather: changed) by admin users only. Check the security on your main VaM folder, and make it fully accessible to your main user or all authenticated users, and make sure to include all subfolders/files. Then VaM should run perfectly fine as a "normal" user and should also keep your settings.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Streamcraft

gscreamoz

Oct 24, 2019
excuse me, I used to install a game on my old HDD and then I moved the game to the M.2. When I launched the game I opened the task manager to check The VaM was noticeably faster and ran on my new M.2. Installed, but when the scene is opened, the game runs on the old HDD that was previously installed. This makes the game load slowly. How can I fix this?

4.70 star(s) 17 Votes