kwiatos

Oct 12, 2020
For me, the first mistake was dividing the game into vn and sandbox, the initial version was well received so I don't know why the developer decided to experiment with the game...

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Yes. As Stringybob mentioned, I have posted news about the new game and a showcase for characters, on Patreon and its public. I don't know if I can post on this thread, news about the new game, without breaking f95 rules but I will do that when it's a few days to release.

May 15, 2022
Is this game abandoned because it was one of my favorite games on this site.
Its a damn shame.
Most likely it is abandoned. I've seen developers do the "work on 2nd game while first isn't completed" thing and it very rarely ever works. Most of the time it ends up in one of two outcomes.

The 1st outcome is that the 1st game is put on-hold while the developer works on the 2nd and 2 or 3 years later the 2nd game has been updated 10 times, every post on Patreon is about the 2nd game, and not one word has been said about the 1st game.

The 2nd outcome is that the developer wants more money. They see that the 1st game isn't bringing in the money so they put the first one on-hold to work on the second one hoping it brings in the cash. What it does is make the patrons leave because they paid for the 1st game. Then the developer posts saying that they can't work on the 1st or 2nd because they don't have any support so they abandon both.

Either way it doesn't look good for this game.

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
Most likely it is abandoned. I've seen developers do the "work on 2nd game while first isn't completed" thing and it very rarely ever works. Most of the time it ends up in one of two outcomes.

The 1st outcome is that the 1st game is put on-hold while the developer works on the 2nd and 2 or 3 years later the 2nd game has been updated 10 times, every post on Patreon is about the 2nd game, and not one word has been said about the 1st game.

The 2nd outcome is that the developer wants more money. They see that the 1st game isn't bringing in the money so they put the first one on-hold to work on the second one hoping it brings in the cash. What it does is make the patrons leave because they paid for the 1st game. Then the developer posts saying that they can't work on the 1st or 2nd because they don't have any support so they abandon both.

Either way it doesn't look good for this game.
Perhaps reading the actually dev post would give more insight?
Short, as search is up to anyone who want to look for this information:
He put it on hold, work on a second game and hope/try to rescue the resource for the first game that it can become, what he hope for.

May 15, 2022
Perhaps reading the actually dev post would give more insight?
Short, as search is up to anyone who want to look for this information:
He put it on hold, work on a second game and hope/try to rescue the resource for the first game that it can become, what he hope for.
I did read it, both of the posts.

In the first post he says he wants to start a kickstarter to gain money. Then the next post says kickstarter is not allowed in his country.

Then in the second post he shows his Patreon numbers for October 2022. It shows 167 current patrons. I checked when I read the post and it now sits at 113. I checked graphtreon and it shows that when he made the post announcing that Vis is on-hold and he would be working on the other game the numbers dropped fast.

Like I said in my post. I've seen developers do the same thing. Looking at the current situation its not looking like this will be continued. I truly do hope it continues, I really do like it, but if the financial part is the main thing that is keeping this from being worked on than we might be looking at years before it sees another update or not.

Reactions: Mrblack

Deleted member 416612

The 'landlord'
Donor
Game Developer
Feb 2, 2018
Hi granny gumjobs and thank you for your feedback!

While I don't debate that I may have made the same 'mistakes' as others, I feel like your comment somehow makes me a villain in this whole thing.
Related to money. Vis had a cost of production which was at the point of the decision around 80% of my earnings. As the trend was for patrons to drop, I would have probably reached the point where the costs were the same as the earnings. I intended to invest the profit into the game, including a new rig for better and faster rendering.
Time consumption was huge. I had to sleep less to compensate for the patron losses and bring new things to the table. Again, it was a dead end.

The second project is born for three reasons; I like to create (which is my major reason), I want to bring something good to this gaming universe, and I want to follow this path where I can focus only on game development. The end purpose for me is to have enough funds to focus only on creating games.

As I mentioned before, I know, from experience with big gaming companies, that there were cases for triple-A games or at least major titles that on the roadmap they planned to continue with the development and with DLC, but when the games were released, due to bad reception and major bugs, they terminated the development. So, yes these things are happening with the big guys as well, which have a lot more experience, huge teams and almost endless budgets.

All I can do is learn and be persistent.

Last edited:

c3p0

Forum Fanatic
Respected User
Nov 20, 2017
As I mentioned before, I know, from experience with big gaming companies, that there were cases for triple-A games or at least major titles that on the roadmap they planned to continue with the development and with DLC, but when the games were released, due to bad reception and major bugs, they terminated the development. So, yes these things are happening with the big guys as well, which have a lot more experience, huge teams and almost endless budgets.
Most of them are better at calculation. The new how much money they put into their game and they (mostly) only follow "How much money do we need to invest and how much money will it bring back?". If the (positive) difference isn't enough they pull the the plug.
On the other hand, with a lot of passion project from hobbyist and semi-professionals, they don't do the math or even if they do, they invest their money regargdless of the math.

For a new game dev (regardless of their skill level, experience and knowledge) you beginn with 0 earnings. So, you invest your money and (free) time for the game. Depending on the game, yourself and luck, perhaps the project attract some people who give you (part of) their money.
It also depends what you want to do. If it is only a hobby, then all money donate to you, is a bonus. If you look at it more from the business site, then you have some numbers you want to reach and some numbers you need. When the numbers you need won't be reached, even after reevalution and such, then you will need to change your plans. Abandoned your your business idea (and treat it as a hobby, with all the implications that this will have), abandoned your idea/game and try something else or whatever.

Aug 13, 2020
From what I've seen, devs who start a 'new game' while putting ''on hold'' or abandon another, very rarely finish both and almost always they end up finishing neither. I think that's sad because a lot of games that I liked , I never saw the end of them. It looks like VIS will go the same way... I hope not because I really loved this vn.

dervalle007

Jan 23, 2022
Hey Mad King do you still have a few renders of Morrigan lying around somewhere that you didn't use in the game? Would be a nice memory of the game.

3.80 star(s) 87 Votes