3.80 star(s) 13 Votes

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
Not like they (devs\creators of unique models) would care much what you do with their models, would they? Or can do much for that matter. I believe many of them might be positive about this. It's obviously good for popularity. I think a little cameo can be cool idea too, but i see the point of carnalcardinal.
I don't know, I feel like a lot of devs might throw a fit. But they wouldn't be able to do anything, especially if they're just using someone else's models like they usually are.

I was mostly just trying to point out that copyright is automatic, and a lot of people confuse copyright (no repackaging) with trademark (no use in similar products). Then there's the moral right given by the Berne convention, giving an author the right to object to their characters used in pooh-pooing ways.

I've noticed that at least when it comes to movies and TV shows, typically the good studios don't care as much about copyright, but the slightly crappier ones that make their money from impulse buys care a lot. It's somewhat the opposite with trademarks - the better the brand, the more zealously they guard it.

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I don't know, I feel like a lot of devs might throw a fit. But they wouldn't be able to do anything, especially if they're just using someone else's models like they usually are.
Yeah, I imagine some wouldn't be happy about it. The industry is also difficult enough without developers being pissed off at one another. I could always do a fan request of a character from a finished or discontinued game though.

I don't think I would throw a fit, but one of the big reasons I spend so long making my characters is so that you won't see them anywhere else

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Working on a character design (again) in Daz while rendering in Octane today. I saved the one on the left for future use, but I was going for a certain look for this character. She went from this to this:
CharTest.png Jocelyn 3-4.png

Reactions: bas and Dilettante

bas

retired
Donor
Respected User
Former Staff
May 6, 2017
Working on a character design (again) in Daz while rendering in Octane today. I saved the one on the left for future use, but I was going for a certain look for this character. She went from this to this:
View attachment 121005 View attachment 121006
The bridge of the nose on the right-hand render (I think the "after" render?) looks off to me to the point of looking unnatural. The sharp ridges on either side. Realizing you didn't ask, feel free to ignore :p.

Reactions: thecardinal

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah, I imagine some wouldn't be happy about it. The industry is also difficult enough without developers being pissed off at one another. I could always do a fan request of a character from a finished or discontinued game though.
And "good" thing is about this industry, you always have zillion awesome abandoned games characters of which you can use. For fan request\cameo it is, your main cast in indeed very unique. And i'd imagine copying unique character in Daz is not that easy, is it? I mean, body morphs and stuff.
Now that we talking about popular models and how much they can appear, i believe good example of this is mom from Dreams of Desire. I know at least 3 or more recent-ish games with this model. Minimum difference like hairstyle.

Working on a character design (again) in Daz while rendering in Octane today. She went from this to this:
She's just awesome now. What an update! :heartcoveredeyes: You definitely have a talent for making each of them look great and special. With personality i'd say. And looking like a real people.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
The bridge of the nose on the right-hand render (I think the "after" render?) looks off to me to the point of looking unnatural. The sharp ridges on either side. Realizing you didn't ask, feel free to ignore :p.
Now that you mention it, I do get a Star Trek vibe from that picture. I still think it's overall an improvement, but it also seems like a surprisingly drastic change, and I can't figure out if that's just because of the lighting or the lips or what.

Reactions: bas

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Now that you mention it, I do get a Star Trek vibe from that picture. I still think it's overall an improvement, but it also seems like a surprisingly drastic change, and I can't figure out if that's just because of the lighting or the lips or what.
It's a completely different skin texture and character design. I realized later that the skin texture on the darker girl was the same one on the teacher (maybe it's not noticeable) and the shape looked like a younger Sofia.

But yeah, I think I have a thing for girls with wide noses, Carina and Sera have it too.:rolleyes:

Star Trek vibe but it's improved. Would you give it a Seven of Nine?

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
It's a completely different skin texture and character design. I realized later that the skin texture on the darker girl was the same one on the teacher (maybe it's not noticeable) and the shape looked like a younger Sofia.

But yeah, I think I have a thing for girls with wide noses, Carina and Sera have it too.:rolleyes:
I really like wide noses too. She looks so cool overall. :p And i've noticed what you mean with teacher's skin texture.

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Still on track for the mid-July release, no big setbacks yet. I might take it easy on sharing pics since now I'm just rendering stuff with spoilers in it.

Might be making the game in Spanish as well, but I can just do that while I wait for renders to finish so it won't cut into time. I am semi-fluent in Spanish so it shouldn't be too hard. If English isn't your first language and the game is hard for you to comprehend, I don't mind taking the time to translate dialogue into another language, but I'll probably rely on Google Translate if it's not Spanish.

Reactions: Dilettante

RockenRoller

May 5, 2018
:O mid july!? OHHHH NEAR MEH BERTHDAI, super excited! i havent got around to it, but is rendering characters or coding that difficult to create one of these games?

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
:O mid july!? OHHHH NEAR MEH BERTHDAI, super excited! i havent got around to it, but is rendering characters or coding that difficult to create one of these games?
Difficult? No. Time-consuming? Most definitely.

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
Might be making the game in Spanish as well, but I can just do that while I wait for renders to finish so it won't cut into time. I am semi-fluent in Spanish so it shouldn't be too hard. If English isn't your first language and the game is hard for you to comprehend, I don't mind taking the time to translate dialogue into another language, but I'll probably rely on Google Translate if it's not Spanish.
I think actual people speaking both languages is much better than Google. I know some guys here and on Patreon translate lots of games in French, Russian, Portuguese, and so on.

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
I think actual people speaking both languages is much better than Google. I know some guys here and on Patreon translate lots of games in French, Russian, Portuguese, and so on.
The Spanish is fun practice for since I speak it but don't write it. Plus some of the characters are hispanic so it seems fitting. As for other languages, I don't think the game is popular enough that it would warrant multiple translations.

Reactions: Dilettante

Dilettante

Jun 6, 2017
The Spanish is fun practice for since I speak it but don't write it. Plus some of the characters are hispanic so it seems fitting. As for other languages, I don't think the game is popular enough that it would warrant multiple translations.
Yeah, i get that. Somewhat know few languages myself, but either can't speak or write. :D
Well, hopefully this game will be popular at some point. This quality should get its deserved exposure.

ut1stgear

Feb 7, 2018
Been a while since I checked in. Had to go through 3 pages of msgs and had to suffer through all those great renders, such a chore, but I got through. Hope nothing happens to throw you off your schedule @carnalcardinal .

3.80 star(s) 13 Votes