3.80 star(s) 13 Votes

ut1stgear

Feb 7, 2018
Well, I think I will take her glasses off and "help" her tie her tennis shoes. Looks like she wouldn't mind getting some help.

WaltS

Si vis pacem para bellum
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
Should be out with a nice pretty bow on it tonight. Finishing up the last few renders for 0.3, then making sure everything works smoothly and dialogue is crisp. I'm not very good at coding and this one has a lot of features added.

A present for those who wait:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Who is she, will she be in the update?
Right down my alley....

thecardinal

Latina midget, sub to my Onlyfans - cash for gash
Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Yeah, it sucks. I know it only requires 2-3 hours of work. I had to decide between pulling an all-nighter, delaying, or just releasing the buggy mess.

:mad:

Reactions: Shadde03

WaltS

Si vis pacem para bellum
Donor
Apr 4, 2018
Yeah, it sucks. I know it only requires 2-3 hours of work. I had to decide between pulling an all-nighter, delaying, or just releasing the buggy mess.

:mad:
Well, as far as I‘m concerned - take your time and release it when you've tackled that pesky bug.

I rather have a working release a little later than a buggy mess 'on time'.

Aaaaand - props for your openness regarding the delay, appreciate it. Not many devs that are as active on these forums as you are!

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
Thank you.

Basically to give a full run-down the thing that is causing the issues is the replayable scenes. The replay function (you can drop it into the game code directly) doesn't like it when you have variables (naming the main character and the paths I have in place for Ella). So it does thing where it goes over the 'max recursion depth.' And trying to code in an increase to the max recursion causes a host of other issues.

So right now, what I need to do is make a separate set of labels, just for the replayable scenes, where the 'mc' is defined as Miles and you can't change the name. I tried coding in a splash screen before the main menu where you rename the character but it can cause bugs when using a saved game. There is probably a shorter way, but this way only adds about 1,000 lines of code I can copy+paste, then edit.

And the other hangup (which is fixed now but required work) is the optional ntr content. Those you can only get by unlocking them by playing them. I wanted all the sex scenes in a gallery at gamestart, but then I realized some people would be rightfully pissed off if ntr content was in the gallery mixed with the rest.

And these issues all stem from the updated interface. Once I get it working, it'll be like Sofia's butt or a Subaru, be great for years.

- Abby

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
Thank you.

Basically to give a full run-down the thing that is causing the issues is the replayable scenes. The replay function (you can drop it into the game code directly) doesn't like it when you have variables (naming the main character and the paths I have in place for Ella). So it does thing where it goes over the 'max recursion depth.' And trying to code in an increase to the max recursion causes a host of other issues.

So right now, what I need to do is make a separate set of labels, just for the replayable scenes, where the 'mc' is defined as Miles and you can't change the name. I tried coding in a splash screen before the main menu where you rename the character but it can cause bugs when using a saved game. There is probably a shorter way, but this way only adds about 1,000 lines of code I can copy+paste, then edit.

And the other hangup (which is fixed now but required work) is the optional ntr content. Those you can only get by unlocking them by playing them. I wanted all the sex scenes in a gallery at gamestart, but then I realized some people would be rightfully pissed off if ntr content was in the gallery mixed with the rest.

And these issues all stem from the updated interface. Once I get it working, it'll be like Sofia's butt or a Subaru, be great for years.

- Abby
You don't want to increase the max recursion depth, unless you're an expert and know precisely what the depth should be.

Recursion is, simply put, where a function calls itself. It's a very useful way to do certain tasks, like taking an item off a list and working with the rest of the list. I seriously doubt that you're doing anything like that, so there should be NO recursion. Hitting the max recursion depth means you've got runaway recursion, which will never stop.

Take a look at the replay code in @bossapplesauce 's excellent Dreams of Desire mod, here:

It might help with setting names in replays, etc.

Reactions: Shadde03 and bas

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
0.3 is out for $10 patrons right now to play and bugtest! :eazyHype:

Free public version will be out in a week and I'm starting the outline of 0.4 tomorrow.

And just for the next two weeks, I would appreciate it if you tagged spoilers like this
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
so you don't ruin one of the surprises for someone who hasn't played.

Bagger288

Jul 11, 2017
You don't want to increase the max recursion depth, unless you're an expert and know precisely what the depth should be.
It gets even more important when you're intentionally recursing, because then it sounds like a reasonable thing to change. But one has to realize that the limits are very high by default, so hitting the limit is like the fire doors getting hot - the solution is almost never to move the fire doors (in contrast to the fire alarm, which often is too sensitive).

That said, recursion depth bugs can be very difficult to find, because they're typically abstraction bugs.

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
If you guys want a good laugh, I initially tried fixing that bug by just adding 0s the number on max recursion depth.

Reactions: bas

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
If you guys want a good laugh, I initially tried fixing that bug by just adding 0s the number on max recursion depth.
Yeah, I've never had a problem like that. :) See it enough and you start to realize that it's a problem with your code, not with the system!

Imagine this:

Code:
label foo:
    call foo
That will never end. That's a very simplified example of what you're seeing. It will very quickly hit the recursion limit. Without the limit it will run until it consumes all memory available to the app, and crash hard.

Reactions: bas and thecardinal

thecardinal

Game Developer
Jul 28, 2017
That actually makes a lot of sense. It only started when I tried to use the replay function. They had been in the code for weeks.

I know now not to take python advice from a random post on GitHub from 2011 now. :closedeyesmile:

Reactions: bas and goobdoob

tek

Nov 12, 2016
Tweaked it. Thanks for the advice, it does look a lot better. View attachment 125960
The lighting is definitely better , but the glow around the laptop on the desk is to spread , test it on yourself in a dark room , you'll see that the light doesn't spread that far and is more centralized straight at you. But it's still a bloody good render:)

3.80 star(s) 13 Votes