KingBea

Jul 26, 2017
1688366707080.png

Hi, everybody.

I hope you're all doing well. Here's a summary of our work this week:

Chestnut:

She followed through with her plan of continuing her work on WIP cutscenes and did three from earlier parts of Gomira's first quest. I had already coded these cutscenes into the game, so now that their final version is ready, I will need to replace the dummy art.

Pistachio:

I did a lot of things this week: coded in background elements (and animation), posed several dialogues from the beginning of Gomira's second quest, wrote new conversations between characters, which I thought were necessary, and edited every text I was working on.

Next week's plan:

Chestnut will continue working on cutscenes --she wants to start a bigger multi-stage one, and I will keep posing scenes from the second quest.

That's all.

Have a wonderful week.
Cheers

P.S. Out of curiosity, I did a new word count, and we have 51K words in 0.7's file (not counting optional convos). The last time I checked, we had been at 43K words, so I've added a lot of text while editing and trying to improve everything. Most of these new dialogues are from Gomira's first quest, so I expect the number will grow as I slowly edit and pose the second quest as well, but I also am sure there to be a drop in the number since we do a lot of trimming and cutting in the final polishing stage.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Art progress after 1 year - 190/283
191/283, to be precise.
Less than 1\3 remaining.
Hand drawn art takes time. Deal with it.
But nice story. Thanks for sharing.
This 2D type of games in 2023 doesn't worth waiting 1 year.
That was 1 month ago, yet you're still here complaining...
Feel free to leave & not wait anymore.

Last edited:

marr0125

Aug 1, 2017
191/283, to be precise.
Less than 1\3 remaining.
But nice story. Thanks for sharing.

That was 1 month ago, yet you're still here complaining...
Feel free to leave & not wait anymore.
That's not the case, I read the update, it should take 3 months at most, now the people who will write to me may have been ill or another problem may have occurred.
I came from the military, still no update :D

Reactions: CJlOHNK
Sep 2, 2020
I told you after last release - the next release will be after 1 year. No one believed. This 2D type of games in 2023 doesn't worth waiting 1 year. People are ready to pay 60-140 $ per year to get update with 1-2 characters. If you plan to release 1 update per year, at least make 1 scene per character. If I was dev of this game with 7.000 per month, I would hire workers to do separate stuff. I think devs choose hard way to work with this game, otherwise I have no other idea why it takes so long. I think 1 animate scene and plot with 1 character takes 1 month to develop. So at least I expect 12 animated scene, but I have bad thoughts it is not even gonna happen. Imagine waiting scenes for your fav character 3 years because other character in queue.

Now about positive things =
- Nice scenes for 2D game
- Fair that there is no 20 $ ABOVE pledge in Patreon
- Beautiful arts
- Interesting story
you're preaching to the cult here. Just look at some of the reactions and replies you get, there's a few objective people that still try to hold out, they know its a 2D game and they know Chestnut isn't some scamming developer because they're proven. However questions are raised and rightfully so. People deserve actual answers.

But then there's just straight up weirdos here that will blast you for calling out these long development times with no definitive end in sight. Its like reddit moderators but worse. They'll never objectively see your point and are allergic to grass which explains how they are so active on every thread everyday so a year's wait is nothing to these people who hypocritically would call out patreons on here despite them not ever being a backer.

Last edited:

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
That's not the case, I read the update, it should take 3 months at most, now the people who will write to me may have been ill or another problem may have occurred.
Thank you for not knowing shit about anything and telling us about it. That is what we love around here, people with zero experience telling us how things should be and how long they should take.

hrimthyrs

May 6, 2020
You seem to have mistaken this for the Radiant thread. There has never been a promise for an update to "take 3 months at most", nor has there been a stream of claims of illness or other excuses from the devs. They started out with 3—5 month updates, asked their patrons to vote on it, and the majority voted for updates that covered a given LI's full story, no matter how long that meant between updates. I have been posting analyses after every update, how much new content was added in terms of total file size, number of new images, and in playtime, what it works out to in terms of new content added per day, etc. precisely to compare with previous updates to track if MagicNuts are slowing down and "milking" like the overcaffeinated howler monkeys insist when they storm into this thread to repeat the same debunked twaddle over and over.

If you're going to insist an update is taking longer than it "should", the least you can do is provide an argument for why you think that. Demonstrate that you've put some thought into how much new content is being promised versus how much was in previous updates and how long they took. Demonstrate that other dev teams of similar size with similar artistic quality and dedication to detail roll out similar-size updates quicker. If you just barge into a thread and insist sans evidence that an update is taking longer than some number you've seemingly arrived at by shoving your arm to the elbow up your own ass and yanking out what you found there, nobody is going to take you seriously. They're just going to back slowly away from the raving lunatic while looking for the nearest exit.

...or they'll just add you to their ignore list so they don't have to read your entitled tantrums.

KingBea

Jul 26, 2017
1688769444866.png
Weekly report 165
Hi, everybody.
Happy Friday! Here's a summary of our work since last week:

Chestnut:
She had planned to begin a multi-stage cutscene, and although she has indeed started the art of that event, she has focused most of her time on two smaller cutscenes, both of which were different from the sketches she had made in our initial storyboard (because I ended up changing the events) and that I had created placeholder displayables for them. I still haven't added the final images to the game, but the art looks good, and I'm positive they will work.

Pistachio:
I posed several scenes from Gomira's second quest and wrote a few optional convos. For the past few days, I have focused on rewriting the dialogues of one of the second quest's events. When I wrote this event, the characters' personalities were slightly different from how they ended up being, so for them to make sense and be consistent, they need to be rewritten, which is what I've been doing and will likely do most of the coming week.

Next week's plan:
Chestnut wants to continue working on cutscenes. I have also given her Photoshop files with placeholder sprite hands (mostly holding objects or having variations on holding objects), and if she has the time, she will also work on them.
As I mentioned above, I plan to get the text of Gomira's second quest right, at least for the next event I have to pose, particularly regarding the characters' personalities and the whole mood of the dialogues, before continuing with the posing.

That's all.
Have a wonderful weekend.
Cheers

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
This game is excellent in attention to detail, art, and story (for a AVN), but this is one of those cases where the final product just isn't worth the time or the money invested into it.

Taking too long to deliver "perfection" is just as bad, if not worse, than delivering mediocrity at a faster pace.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
This game is excellent in attention to detail, art, and story (for a AVN), but this is one of those cases where the final product just isn't worth the time or the money invested into it.

Taking too long to deliver "perfection" is just as bad, if not worse, than delivering mediocrity at a faster pace.
I have to disagree, this site is flooded with derivative mediocrity that isn't worth the time it takes to download, a good game is worth the time it takes to make it so.

wd1111

Sep 26, 2021
191/283, to be precise.
Less than 1\3 remaining.
it isn't 1950 any more where every frame is hand drawn (and even then they used layering and reused drawings to speed things up), PS and layers makes the sort of art seen here quite a quick process once the layers are done, it's not like they are making some intricate animations with 3d camera moves with changing perspective and/or character pose changes

if you think differently, then perhaps it is time to check out what some artists are doing on YT even in Blender with grease pencil and take some pointers

and I'm not completely oblivious to the offspring situation, but that excuse also can only be stretched so far

Last edited:
4.70 star(s) 448 Votes