4.30 star(s) 186 Votes

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
i know that it's up to dev to handle abandoned/onhold tags. some devs put onhold tag when they're reworking/rebooting their games, some not. to me that's the matter of honesty and trust. considering that wiab is going to get not cosmetic changes only, but also completely reworked story, imho that won't be the same game anymore. that totally deserves abandoned or onhold tag. if dev goes with abandoned, then he starts new thread when the rework is done. this was already addressed by Osider in this post:
https://f95zone.to/threads/where-it-all-began-v0-6-full-oceanlab.19856/post-6416458
to me it's not important if the dev is "active", but what's goin' on with the game.

as of solid proof of biased actions of f95's moderators, you can check this reply to my post, for the beginning.
https://f95zone.to/threads/where-it-all-began-v0-6-full-oceanlab.19856/post-6418848
i'll work on solid proof, and as soon as i find one i'll give you a note.
I am sorry i will treat you different to all those that in this or other thread keep repeating "abandoned/hold" and will simply tell you to go look at the rules (got tired of going every single time and find the definition for them)

They are not given on what you believe should make sense, but simply how they are currently defined in the forum. To start a discussion on whether those rules make sense as they are right now, you can go and create a different thread.

Reactions: johnelros

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Why does it matter that the developer is active (with another game)? If he haven’t done anything with this game in years, it is abandoned. Simple as that.
That's never been how the sites rules work.

As long as the dev is active it doesn't get tagged, it's the same with any game regardless of developer.

Speaking of this game, definitely should be marked as onhold. If I remember correctly, remake of this game was scheduled for september/october last year or something like that...
On hold is a dev requested tag not one the mods just apply.

as of solid proof of biased actions of f95's moderators, you can check this reply to my post, for the beginning.
https://f95zone.to/threads/where-it-all-began-v0-6-full-oceanlab.19856/post-6418848
i'll work on solid proof, and as soon as i find one i'll give you a note.
When I say solid proof I mean actual proof not someone saying it happened, that isn't proof.

Screenshots, PM's etc.. are proof.

Considering the person in question has been a member of the site for 4 years and doesn't know how the sites rules i'm less inclined to take what they at face value.

Just saying they had a review taken down for no reason while we don't know the contents of said review. Reviews still need to follow the rules and any mention of other games or abuse towards dev will get that review taken down.

Without proof of what was in the review and the reason it was taken down I only have the posters word it happened and while it could very well be true it doesn't qualify as proof.

Reactions: Ayhsel

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
It's still work that delays new content, though. I don't think 3-4 months per update he had quoted at some point will ever be realistic for either of these 2 games.
I agree with you in that working on more than two games, regardless of how you do it, end up hurting development speed of each game separately, as there are things you cannot do when the other game is rendering, for example.

Another question, though, would be if working in both games at the same time speed up the overall development of both games, in the sense of whether you would have overall more content or not as the sum. Potentially there are synergies to be gained, as those rendering times or other things like not getting tired of the same characters and story or whatever.

Obviously, this can also be a very bad metric as ultimately you may care only on a single game.

Ultimately, it is what it is. Nothing we can do about it.

Reactions: HunterSeeker

slightchance

Mar 25, 2018
Another question, though, would be if working in both games at the same time speed up the overall development of both games, in the sense of whether you would have overall more content or not as the sum. Potentially there are synergies to be gained, as those rendering times or other things like not getting tired of the same characters and story or whatever.
Certainly not. Multitasking is a myth and the render time is not the bottleneck. Also there's no WIAB 3.5, evidently.

jamdan

Forum Fanatic
Sep 28, 2018
You assume to much. The picture you're painting here is a recipe for disaster.

If you define a project, there is a necessity to set project parameters and this includes a standard of quality definition. The dev needs to understand which parameter is least flexible and which is most flexible. Changing these parameters after the initial process, most of the time, ends in development hell. Ocean knows this, I guarantee you that!
SG and Wiab share a universe. He wants to meet the set standards and qualities with both games because he is developing them at the same time. He made the decission to get these games where they need to be in order to have a smooth developement going forward. This decission is the reason why a lot of people on this forum are going berserk... But to have a decent impact with a steam release in both cases he has decided to do it this way.

Everything else you paint in your post is dark fantasy and rumour mongering.
This doesn't make sense to me.

There needs to be standards of quality. Nobody thinks otherwise. We're saying Ocean's quality standard is far too high for these games to be completed, especially considering how long they're supposed to be and the fact he is doing them at the same time. The goal may be to have a smooth development going forward, but again, we don't believe that is possible for multiple reasons.

He has changed his standard multiple times, this is why this game is being reworked. We are currently in development hell. He reworked Summers Gone too, after he fired his friend who was originally making it. His quality standards have nothing to do with being flexible or not. In fact, it's the opposite. He wants the highest quality he can get. He doesn't believe it's acceptable to make B+ quality when he can do A+. He has said this himself.

People aren't just making things up. We have ample reasons to believe the things we are saying. A lot of this stuff happened before you made an account on here. Updates were supposed to be quicker when he got his 3090 cards. Yet he maxed those out quite easily. Again, because he wants the highest quality he can muster. We don't see any reason that wouldn't happen again if he upgraded his hardware more.

We aren't having dark fantasies or rumor mongering. We're looking at what has already happened in the past and we see no reason it won't continue in the future. He reworks things when they don't meet his increasingly high standards. He maxes his hardware because of that. He wants to be perfectly optimized. He is his own worst enemy. Everyone else is just along for the ride.

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
This doesn't make sense to me.
He is his own worst enemy. Everyone else is just along for the ride.
Exactly. You are watching, if imperfectly and from a distance, someone's creative process. Ocean is not making a game for you, nor for me, nor for his patrons. He's making a game largely for himself, and his patrons support him for their own reasons. They are not customers. He's building skills and learning as he goes. For him, the journey is the reason, not to reach a destination. That doesn't mean that he is not committed to the games. Clearly he is, but he's not concerned with our expectations of delivery dates, nor our willingness to have him compromise his perception of quality to meet those dates.

We are all along for the ride, only if we choose to be. You, I, and everyone else are free to get off anytime it suits us. Our participation is the only thing over which we have control.

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
The only thing I really have to criticize is how WIAB doesn't seem to get half of SG's attention. As soon as the complete 3.5 chapter has been released, it already has a dev log with the first information of the next update. Meanwhile, WIAB's last proper dev log was over four months ago and it's been almost 2 months since the first time he said that this next big dev log is "coming soon". Once, ocean said he was going to let actions talking. And it looks like his latest actions say that WIAB has a fucking low priority

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
The only thing I really have to criticize is how WIAB doesn't seem to get half of SG's attention. As soon as the complete 3.5 chapter has been released, it already has a dev log with the first information of the next update. Meanwhile, WIAB's last proper dev log was over four months ago and it's been almost 2 months since the first time he said that this next big dev log is "coming soon". Once, ocean said he was going to let actions talking. And it looks like his latest actions say that WIAB has a fucking low priority
I say this as someone who vastly prefers WIAB to SG. You could look at the disparity between SG's and WIAB's Pateron support. SG is roughly 70% of Ocean's combined income from the two games. Where would you focus your efforts?

albul

Jun 8, 2017
I say this as someone who vastly prefers WIAB to SG. You could look at the disparity between SG's and WIAB's Pateron support. SG is roughly 70% of Ocean's combined income from the two games. Where would you focus your efforts?
The difference in income between the two is heavily affected by the fact that WIAB hasn't gotten a content update for more than 14 months, at which point WIAB had more income than SG. Since then, SG has received two content updates, while WIAB got neglected and as a result has stagnated. The difference in income is coming from where he focused his efforts, not the other way around.

nobody0

Jul 26, 2019
The difference in income between the two is heavily affected by the fact that WIAB hasn't gotten a content update for more than 14 months, at which point WIAB had more income than SG. Since then, SG has received two content updates, while WIAB got neglected and as a result has stagnated. The difference in income is coming from where he focused his efforts, not the other way around.
Plus Where it all began had no GPU for a while, and if I remember correctly, SG got the 3090. Honestly, the biggest danger this game face is patreon's support dropping. But even if it doesn't, it is very hard to believe that adult games won't move past VN's within the next 30 years.

KhamulTG81

Oct 28, 2020
For him, the journey is the reason, not to reach a destination.
What is the purpuse in learning something without using it to finish anything? Commitment is irrelevant at this point. One of the most important accomplishments as a developer of any kind is to have a finished product.

As far as I know, SG and Wiab are not at the end of the road of his endeavor as VN developer. If the picture you're painting here is as blank as you descripe, there would be no chance of him finishing anything within any given timeframe. This is just the wrong mindset to be productive at all!

I believe Ocean is trying to build the base, so to speak, and I think he will get his shit together because, for now, I see structure and not total absence of logical coherence in his actions. The key factor, like I mentioned before, is the steam release of SG and/or Wiab. First impression is immensely important on this platform. He is improving the quality of different aspects in the beginning of both games to meet the minimal requirements to be able to get a strong customer base. Within the first few hours of playtime players decide to either abandon or stick with the game, thats just a fact. If they get flashed with awesomeness :sneaky: thats a good thing or isn't it?

Whatever, I'm out for now... have a nice day...

lipe2410

Forum Fanatic
Dec 23, 2018
I might agree with you if Ocean himself hasn't already said a few times that it doesn't put more or less effort into games depending on the support. If you search his old posts, here or in SG's thread, you'll find one where he says that. Ocean said it but his latest actions seem to say the opposite. That's my point.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: MojoJoeJoe

Qwert99

Mar 2, 2018
Last time I said he was never going to be able to finish this game I got jumped by rabid fans, 6 months later here we go again

Reactions: Vasilji
4.30 star(s) 186 Votes