4.30 star(s) 186 Votes

GetOutOfMyLab

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
Actually the first house I built was without power tools and with only 2 people it took 3 months... So once again its not that they cant get it done its that they wont because the way they are doing it makes them more money. And by the way I like this game alot and it is alot better then most but I will forget about it in a few months and focus on things that are actually being updated regularly.
What was the square footage of the house? How many rooms? Were you also the architect who designed everything? Did you also do the electrical?

Building houses is really not a good comparison for writing, designing, and coding a game/VN anyway. But I can tell you for one that the effort that goes into making a single scene is pretty large. I don't see a dev going back and improving on something as milking. Either way, no one is being forced to support. If it bothers people that much, stop supporting and wait for completed games and just pay the one-time fee. However, we're all here on a pirate site, so how many will actually do that...

UncleFredo

Aug 29, 2020
Actually the first house I built was without power tools and with only 2 people it took 3 months... So once again its not that they cant get it done its that they wont because the way they are doing it makes them more money. And by the way I like this game alot and it is alot better then most but I will forget about it in a few months and focus on things that are actually being updated regularly.
So I offer the following for your consideration:
It is not unusual for a modestly sized novel to take a year to write. Then an additional number of months to go through an editing process with an editor. A good friend has written and has had published seven novels over roughly 20 years. So that's just the time to write the story. No visuals. No animations. No coding. Just to write a novel.

But a VN is more than just writing. The models for the characters must be created, as must the backgrounds. They must be posed. The scenes must be rendered. The animations must be designed, rendered, and animated. Then code must be written to tie it all together. Renpy provides a rich infrastructure to support that, but it is still coding which must be debugged

Ocean started this VN knowing relatively little about the tools he was using. As he became more skilled he found his earlier work lacking. This is a work in progress. He was and is well within his rights to simply decide he's unwilling to move forward with a product that he feels is deficient in his early releases.

The rework of chapter 1 fully demonstrates the massive improvement in every aspect of Ocean's skills and technical quality. So it's not like we don't have evidence of his commitment and effort.

I understand, and to some degree share, your frustration. You and I may feel that his earlier work was "good enough" and desire him to get on with new content. But that isn't our call. Only Ocean can set the standard for his work, and I fully support that.

I suspect the 10th or 20th or 100th house you built was far superior to your first. Would you like to go back and rebuild that first one using all you've learned? Ocean is still learning how to build his VN. We're watching him build it. Doesn't he have the right to tear out his earlier construction and replace it using his now superior skills and tools?

pkgbest13

Mar 11, 2019
It is not unusual for a modestly sized novel to take a year to write. Then an additional number of months to go through an editing process with an editor. A good friend has written and has had published seven novels over roughly 20 years. So that's just the time to write the story. No visuals. No animations. No coding. Just to write a novel.

But a VN is more than just writing. The models for the characters must be created, as must the backgrounds. They must be posed. The scenes must be rendered. The animations must be designed, rendered, and animated. Then code must be written to tie it all together. Renpy provides a rich infrastructure to support that, but it is still coding which must be debugged

Ocean started this VN knowing relatively little about the tools he was using. As he became more skilled he found his earlier work lacking. This is a work in progress. He was and is well within his rights to simply decide he's unwilling to move forward with a product that he feels is deficient in his early releases.

The rework of chapter 1 fully demonstrates the massive improvement in every aspect of Ocean's skills and technical quality. So it's not like we don't have evidence of his commitment and effort.

I understand, and to some degree share, your frustration. You and I may feel that his earlier work was "good enough" and desire him to get on with new content. But that isn't our call. Only Ocean can set the standard for his work, and I fully support that.

I suspect the 10th or 20th or 100th house you built was far superior to your first. Would you like to go back and rebuild that first one using all you've learned? Ocean is still learning how to build his VN. We're watching him build it. Doesn't he have the right to tear out his earlier construction and replace it using his now superior skills and tools?
I am a writer and I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Ocean's latest version is far superior let a creator, create.

Cabin Fever

Engaged Member
Nov 23, 2018

So true. Unfortunately, many are spoiled by either developer that has a whole team, or even worse, solo developers that choose quantity & frequency over quality.

Xibi

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2021
Is there enough game time for the 1st episode remake? Or better wait for episode 2 since it seems to be coming out soon?

Xibi

Game Developer
Sep 26, 2021
In your shoes, I would wait. The content so far is pretty great but brief. Starting with the next version will probably provide a more satisfying experience.
I usually wait until there are at least 3 chapters before playing a VN but since this one is Ocean, I hesitated. Gonna wait then. The good thing when you haven't played is there no waiting for next episode :LOL:

AngelsAfterDark

Jun 11, 2021
I did a single render of one character. No background, no lighting, no clothes, just one single character in a basic pose with a few mats applied. That render took about 3-4 minutes. I have an older card, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB, but still...

Now look at how elaborate Ocean's scenes are. The level of detail and lighting, the backgrounds, etc. Think of how long each render might take, even with a top-notch GPU.

Now go build your houses without any power tools and see how it goes.
Honestly that's why I don't like to complain about the amount of time it takes for an update to be released, oceans work in my opinion is the best, the quality and attention to detail is breathtaking and its foolish to expect a VN of that caliber to be updated frequently like lesser quality games.

One thing worth talking about tho is the fact that Ocean deliberately creates more work for himself, I mean don't get me wrong I love SG and WIAB equally and I'd love to see both games completed, but honestly if you're already struggling to get at least two updates out a year for one game why add another? SG just got out of the introduction phase and WIAB is pretty much still in it, both games are far from completion so one or two updates a year for both games won't cut it. It'll take years before this game gets completed so is it worth it? as I said I don't like complaining about the release time but it's worth noting that it could be faster if Ocean just focused on one game, maybe he could push out 3 or 4 updates a year, it won't take long before that game is completed then he can move on to another game(SG or WIAB, depending on the one he focuses on first)
But yeah that's just my thought on that, it's Oceans games he can do what he wants and he probably is trying to find a way to speed up the updates without reducing the quality and that's good,Oceans games just one be the same without his quality and style.

Sh0gvn

Dec 19, 2021

Hello,

Welcome to the 5th Dev Log.

So, we're about 550 renders in. (Not counting animations.)
And the update is more than 50% done. Chapter 2 is also as big as an update from SG. So you can expect around 70% - 90% more playtime than Chapter 1 had.

Since I first created Scarlet back in WiAB Chapter 3, I always had a problem with her eyelashes.
And tbh, I forgot about the damn bug until I started posing the current model.

But I was able to figure out what caused it all this time.
Her forearm was somehow connected to her eyelashes and hair.
Bending the forearm, also move the eyelashes and the hair. It was really weird and I discovered it while looking through the "Hidden parameters".

Glad that's solved.

Monica.

Ahhhh... Good old Monica... You remember her? No?
The major reason why WiAB is getting reworked is the story. Old WiAB was a mess and had no real structure whatsoever.
Cop Monica was mentioned in the very first episode in both, the old and new WiAB. But she never made an appearance in the old one. Which did really hurt Abigail's story arc.
Anyways, now that the story is structured and thought out... She will make her entrance in Chapter 2.

Expecting the worst.
WilliamMon.png
Some info about Monica.
Monica.png

Monica's a tall and proud girl.
She has relatively short hair, small breasts, a little bit of butt, and long legs.
Her face will be a surprise. But I can tell you that Monica is different from most other characters and I really like the diversity she adds to the cast.

I have gone back to the backyard outdoor scene and started posing the new Scarlet.
MiruDiru.png

I have to admit, that I currently kinda struggle to light the place correctly during the day. It's a nice challenge but it still bothers me a little.

And we end this Dev Log with some Katie. (Katie's tits look really big there. The power of angles. But one change I made was to give her some custom sculpted boobs.)
KatieMatey.png KatieTheChicken.png
All Renders in high res are attached for download.

One big problem with the backyard is, that the scene is absolutely gigantic with a lot of polygons.
It sometimes lags really bad when you've got around 8 people in the scene. I do plan on switching my current Blender learning routine onto Modeling for a while.
If I was able to create some environment parts myself and optimize them correctly, I should save myself quite a bit of frustration down the line.
But the WiAB Pc also isn't that great and doesn't feature the power my Workstation has. But I'm sure we'll get there eventually.

That's it for today.
I will be making another small post at the end of the month, talking a little about my personal routine and changes. As I've been working to optimize my personal life more and more.

Take care!
- Ocean

pixado7875

Mar 11, 2020
I'm convinced everybody's just drinking the koolaid of the "enhanced" visuals because there's no way anybody's giving this a 5 star rating now when the dialogue literally got 10x worse and cringe
Like others have said the females now are written like a 14 year old boy pretending to be a girl
Nobody normal talks like this :WaitWhat:

I swear on my life the writing wasn't this bad before the big overhaul

Also the MC looks like one of the Bogdanoff twins now (RIP)

AngelsAfterDark

Jun 11, 2021
I'm convinced everybody's just drinking the koolaid of the "enhanced" visuals because there's no way anybody's giving this a 5 star rating now when the dialogue literally got 10x worse and cringe
Like others have said the females now are written like a 14 year old boy pretending to be a girl
Nobody normal talks like this :WaitWhat:

I swear on my life the writing wasn't this bad before the big overhaul

Also the MC looks like one of the Bogdanoff twins now (RIP)
The females acts like 14 year old boys and the MC looks like one of the Bogdanoff twins?.. Yup Think you on the wrong thread mate.

4.30 star(s) 186 Votes