4.30 star(s) 185 Votes

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
Nothing unexpected here to be honest, I think we all knew that SG was going to take full priority for the Steam release. Also makes perfect sense.

Nothing to see here, please move on.

(though can see the haters incoming in 3...2...1...)
Nothing new???? Miru has a ring, I don't remember that! She accessories her nips for the occasion :sneaky:

Quetzzz

Sep 29, 2023
i just wonder will he ever stop putting dates out because he is really bad with them maybe in a month or so there will be a schedule that works for him
Setting tentative deadlines can still help his process. Setting a date provides a bit of pressure, which might be healthy for him.

Reactions: BobTheDuck

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
i just wonder will he ever stop putting dates out because he is really bad with them maybe in a month or so there will be a schedule that works for him
As long as people understand that this is a rough estimate it's fine. I read "two weeks" as "about mid-March" :HideThePain:

Setting tentative deadlines can still help his process. Setting a date provides a bit of pressure, which might be healthy for him.
Publishing deadlines -> pressure -> negative impact on mental health -> decreased productivity -> shifting deadlines :HideThePain:

At least he talks honestly and upfront about the current state of development and does not hide the delays, explains why that happened and how he plans to proceed. One could just post a couple of previews and say that everything is going as usual.

The only thing that encourages me is that there is only one last push to the finish line and the first release on Steam is a one-time event, so once it happens, all the extra work associated with it is gone. (reworking old chapters of SG, preparing a Steam version, localization into different languages, steam-related technical tasks)

Quetzzz

Sep 29, 2023
At least he talks honestly and upfront about the current state of development and does not hide the delays, explains why that happened and how he plans to proceed. One could just post a couple of previews and say that everything is going as usual.
Right, that's the main reason why I think he can handle it. If pressure gets too much, people tend to shy away from confrontation.

The only thing that encourages me is that there is only one last push to the finish line and the first release on Steam is a one-time event, so once it happens, all the extra work associated with it is gone. (reworking old chapters of SG, preparing a Steam version, localization into different languages, steam-related technical tasks)
I hope this isn't really true. Too many devs just dump their game on steam without providing help or support. I hope, at the least, that Ocean has recruited volunteers to moderate the Steam community forum.

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Well the 2-3 weeks focus on SG probably means that won't come out in February neither. Wait til the trolls realize THAT.
As long as people understand that this is a rough estimate it's fine. I read "two weeks" as "about mid-March" :HideThePain:

Publishing deadlines -> pressure -> negative impact on mental health -> decreased productivity -> shifting deadlines :HideThePain:

REAL WORLD:

you repeatedly miss deadlines your client set -------> you lose the job, the money and the client

F95:

you repeatedly miss deadlines you set -------> you get praised

Reactions: minibaer12

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
REAL WORLD:

you repeatedly miss deadlines your client set -------> you lose the job, the money and the client

F95:

:KEK: :KEK: :KEK: :KEK: :KEK:
When did Ocean become your employee? Would you like to share the details of your contract with him?

Why do you feel that you're entitled to demand something, such as releases on certain deadlines? And who, by the way, sets these deadlines?

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
When did Ocean become your employee? Would you like to share the details of your contract with him?

Why do you feel that you're entitled to demand something, such as releases on certain deadlines? And who, by the way, sets these deadlines?
Did I demand anything?

:unsure:

Ottoeight

Forum Fanatic
Mar 13, 2021
Oh, you didn't, did you? You just wanted to share your observations about the differences between REAL WORLD and F95, right?

Sorry, my fault, I misunderstood you.
I don't expect anything anymore.

Now, I'm going to make some more coffee. See ya.

:coffee::coffee:

yossa999

Dec 5, 2020
What ? F95zone isn't part of the real world ? Are we nothing but a bunch of bots ??? :oops:
Welcome to the Zone, dude! For example, I am very old version of GPT-3, so sometimes I generate annoying nonsense about developers who are just people, so they may not be accurate in their estimates. :cool:

John972

Apr 24, 2018
REAL WORLD:

F95:

Ocean gave an estimated release schedule some months in advance, not deadlines or specific release dates.

As for F95:

Any Dev who estimates a release schedule months in advance gets pilloried on F95 as soon as that period passes without a game update.

Any Dev who stays mum and waits to announce a release date until a week or two before gets pilloried on F95 in the meantime for milking and taking too long between updates.

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
Any Dev who estimates a release schedule months in advance gets pilloried on F95 as soon as that period passes without a game update.

Any Dev who stays mum and waits to announce a release date until a week or two before gets pilloried on F95 in the meantime for milking and taking too long between updates.
I'd like to say you're wrong but it's the truth. The funny thing is, the ones who're crying loudest are the ones who never pledged a dev and just want the stuff for free.

John972

Apr 24, 2018
I'd like to say you're wrong but it's the truth. The funny thing is, the ones who're crying loudest are the ones who never pledged a dev and just want the stuff for free.
Well, I made that statement after viewing several particular game threads over the years.

For example, there are wise Devs who know not to announce a release date until they are absolutely certain they can make the deadline. This usually occurs a week to a month before release. In the intervening months between updates, the F95 game threads contain the usual "milking" / "update taking too long" comments.

As for Ocean (and I'm going from memory here), he announced an estimated release schedule for SG 5 Beta, SG 5 full, WIAB 3 Beta, WIAB 3 Full a month or so in advance of the SG 5 Beta release.

I recall that he released the Betas more or less when he said he would, missed releasing WIAB 3 Full by a couple of days, and has yet to release SG 5 full (since it's the Steam release, the delay is understandable).

Reactions: Tremonia

Tremonia

Queen Lydia's bitch
Donor
Jun 14, 2020
Well, I made that statement after viewing several particular game threads over the years.
I said the same things more then once, too. I'm completely with you on this topic. On this board as a dev you can't win. Towards devs this community is toxic. I don't get it. It could be a good platform where devs and players debate. Okay, there's this piracy thing and the most devs don't like that part, but still. There were a lot of devs here who're blowed off by mostly random users. Even big fishes like Nyx, Drifty or SFS. I really like it here, but it has it's flaws. That's for sure.

hermit_tr

Jan 20, 2022

For example, there are wise Devs who know not to announce a release date until they are absolutely certain they can make the deadline. This usually occurs a week to a month before release. In the intervening months between updates, the F95 game threads contain the usual "milking" / "update taking too long" comments.

As for Ocean (and I'm going from memory here), he announced an estimated release schedule for SG 5 Beta, SG 5 full, WIAB 3 Beta, WIAB 3 Full a month or so in advance of the SG 5 Beta release.

I recall that he released the Betas more or less when he said he would, missed releasing WIAB 3 Full by a couple of days, and has yet to release SG 5 full (since it's the Steam release, the delay is understandable).
For the initial estimate (December or January for the WiAB and SG Finals), I'm sure Ocean has calculated it.

But everything didn't go as planned. Such as suddenly moving house and rendering requiring more VRam (too many rendering processes crashing), which ended up moving all the data to another PC.

The initial plan was that the purchase of a new GPU (a whole new PC with amd threadripper 5000 series and 2 RTX 6000 ADA) would occur after the release of SG on Steam, but would have to be pushed forward to speed up the rendering process.

Last edited:
Reactions: BobTheDuck
4.30 star(s) 185 Votes