4.30 star(s) 188 Votes

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
I quite agree about the story scope, was not necessarily talking about it. More something like more cinematics or more detailed brachings, more renders per update, things of this nature. Not draguing out the plot for the sake of it but maybe give it more deepth than he can at the moment.

About WiaB and SG. both have their one canon end, and are separate story but just as some games as Mass Effect lets you import your save from one to another, he could potentially do the same thingy, with enought investment. Not make it one single story.
It's already the intention for that to happen with the import, same as for the SG S2 import continues on from S1. But currently I imagine, there's no significant choices that affect Nika, unless the sweet or spicy chicken burger will be the #1 important game variable. I'm guessing it will lead to certain character having slightly different backstories in SG, a few flavour dialogues like what we saw in the bookclub could add the names that were on the team etc. Keeping in mind that choices from WiaB are only relevant to world shaping for SG, Ocean's not going to let the choices mess up the canon of the story - ie, even if William doesn't have sex once in WiaB, Ayua will still exist, there will be no choice to rescue Katie vs letting her die, because we know she doesn't die or become crippled etc.

I get you about the cinematics, that's 100% why I'd like a team. Ocean could story board, some one else sets the scene according to the story board, Ocean goes in tweaks the scene to taste, someone else renders etc. That's a pretty ideal scenario, which would redult in everything being faster, and so there could be more animations, and Ocean is more looking at the work objectively. But it's a nice dream, because Ocean likes doing it all himself I think. The only 'faster' will be the occassional outsourcing (like the foorball field I believe) and lots of slave rigs to make a render farm.

I'm actually the same myself. After doing certain things a certain number of times, I know the way I do it is the most efficient and logical. I also know most people are nowhere near efficient enough or care enough about attention to detail as I do, so, as the old saying goes....

If you want a job doing....
I'm more than a little bit that way myself. I'm really just dreaming of ways to get Ch5 sooner. The other valuable thing about even a failed collaboration, is often it forces the dev to look for inefficiencies in their process; trying to explain what you do to someone else often makes you realise areas of your process that are redundant, or only have historical purposes.

But mostly a dream of getting nice things like more Katie content, more of the time :coffee::whistle:

Last edited:

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
It's already the intention for that to happen with the import, same as for the SG S2 import continues on from S1. But currently I imagine, there's no significant choices that affect Nika, unless the sweet or spicy chicken burger will be the #1 important game variable. I'm guessing it will lead to certain character having slightly different backstories in SG, a few flavour dialogues like what we saw in the bookclub could add the names that were on the team etc. Keeping in mind that choices from WiaB are only relevant to world shaping for SG, Ocean's not going to let the choices mess up the canon of the story - ie, even if William doesn't have sex once in WiaB, Ayua will still exist, there will be no choice to rescue Katie vs letting her die, because we know she doesn't die or become crippled etc.

I get you about the cinematics, that's 100% why I'd like a team. Ocean could story board, some one else sets the scene according to the story board, Ocean goes in tweaks the scene to taste, someone else renders etc. That's a pretty ideal scenario, which would redult in everything being faster, and so there could be more animations, and Ocean is more looking at the work objectively. But it's a nice dream, because Ocean likes doing it all himself I think. The only 'faster' will be the occassional outsourcing (like the foorball field I believe) and lots of slave rigs to make a render farm.

I'm more than a little bit that way myself. I'm really just dreaming of ways to get Ch5 sooner. The other valuable thing about even a failed collaboration, is often it forces the dev to look for inefficiencies in their process; trying to explain what you do to someone else often makes you realise areas of your process that are redundant, or only have historical purposes.

But mostly a dream of getting nice things like more Katie content, more of the time :coffee::whistle:
A little self-reference almost off topic...
Since my activity for the last 15 years has been basically coordinating teams, I have a hard time when I meet individualists. When a certain activity can be done by oneself, go ahead and do it, but obviously that limits the prospects. A good coordinator does not teach how to do things, he chooses the one who demonstrates with results.
And I would like to link this to the other part that catches my attention, when a hardware upgrade results in shorter cycles? answer... never. :cry:
If not, look at that other lonely dev who made it clear that he would never hire anyone because he wants to do it all by himself... he has a rig capable of doing 20 AVNs a year, but geez! 60fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:

Reactions: BobTheDuck

BobTheDuck

Dec 24, 2018
A little self-reference almost off topic...
Since my activity for the last 15 years has been basically coordinating teams, I have a hard time when I meet individualists. When a certain activity can be done by oneself, go ahead and do it, but obviously that limits the prospects. A good coordinator does not teach how to do things, he chooses the one who demonstrates with results.
And I would like to link this to the other part that catches my attention, when a hardware upgrade results in shorter cycles? answer... never. :cry:
If not, look at that other lonely dev who made it clear that he would never hire anyone because he wants to do it all by himself... he has a rig capable of doing 20 AVNs a year, but geez! 60fps!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek:
I 100% understand that. I bought a whiz bang computer for my work, now I am the limitation in my process. Before, the contraints of the hardware forced me to work in stages. Now I don't need to, but I can't actually think fast enough to go as fast as the hardware now allows. I still need to make aesthetic decisions, and those decisions aren't a function of time.

THe problem is that Ocean probably COULD lead a team, if he wasn't aesthetically invested in the games. But if he wasn't, the games wouldn't be worth playing. Ultimately, we play these games because of who writes them, not because of the hardware they're rendered on. Part of Ocean's aesthetic has developed with the hardware, and he tells the story in wordless images. Almost all of the emotional cues are visual. The decisions of when William cries, how he cries stoically etc. create an aesthetic, but those decsions only work when someone agonises over a scene until they're happy.

As much as I am impatient, Ocean is always using an artistic approach as the arbiter of the decisions, and every time he short cuts the artistic direction in favour of a timeline or efficiency, we see problems in the output (continuity errors mainly). As much as I'd like to see what a shakeup can do, it's better to let him focus on delivering things he's happy to create.

Reactions: Maviarab and LHDLLB

sorco2003

Sep 3, 2020
I 100% understand that. I bought a whiz bang computer for my work, now I am the limitation in my process. Before, the contraints of the hardware forced me to work in stages. Now I don't need to, but I can't actually think fast enough to go as fast as the hardware now allows. I still need to make aesthetic decisions, and those decisions aren't a function of time.

THe problem is that Ocean probably COULD lead a team, if he wasn't aesthetically invested in the games. But if he wasn't, the games wouldn't be worth playing. Ultimately, we play these games because of who writes them, not because of the hardware they're rendered on. Part of Ocean's aesthetic has developed with the hardware, and he tells the story in wordless images. Almost all of the emotional cues are visual. The decisions of when William cries, how he cries stoically etc. create an aesthetic, but those decsions only work when someone agonises over a scene until they're happy.

As much as I am impatient, Ocean is always using an artistic approach as the arbiter of the decisions, and every time he short cuts the artistic direction in favour of a timeline or efficiency, we see problems in the output (continuity errors mainly). As much as I'd like to see what a shakeup can do, it's better to let him focus on delivering things he's happy to create.
I don't doubt for a second that this is as you say. My general point is that, at least in WIAB, no one should dream too much, neither Ocean, nor us.
There are plenty of examples where Ocean's choices were more synthesized without losing the narrative-emotive power... while now his approach is much more decompressed.
But these are all issues where we have no say in the matter... it will be what it will be... It doesn't take away the fact that I will surely keep on complaining... :p

Dr.TSoni

May 20, 2022
Unless we unlock a ending so bad that William unlocks his latent powers and creates a new reality, "House of M" style.

GT3EZ9YWcAAODmz.jpg
Asserting Katie's dominance

Adhdclassic

Mar 10, 2024
Played again over the weekend. I love Daphne and Helen. But for some reason Dana is giving me the tingles. Don't know if it's because I am a avid cigar smoker or that pubge that shows her extra fuck hole known as a belly button. But man she done crept into my top 3 sorry Leia.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: yossa999
4.30 star(s) 188 Votes