2.90 star(s) 60 Votes

FlipTopBin

Game Developer
Dec 5, 2017
OK, not going to put this in the reviews as its not great but it can all be fixed:

The good
======
Renders: Great, nice models, good composition, good lighting. In the top 5% for all games out there.
Story: I think its good, if not very original. Difficult to tell from the dialogue (see later)

The Bad
=====
Renders: Camera position sometimes shifts very slightly from side to side or up and down during scenes which is very jarring. Daughter acts 16, dresses 16, looks 36. Some scenes need a pause at the end of them as the last image just flickers into the main navigation screen.
Dialogues: I would have said this is a machine translation if it wern't for all the spelling mistakes. Desperatly in need of an english speaking ghost writer (and a spell checker).
Programming: This is an open world type game/vn which is fine but you really need to build in some kind of quest/storyline tracker or just publish a detailed walkthrough. Otherwise it is very difficult to know what to do.

Could end up a very good game with some work but a difficult play at the moment.

Mikey Mike

Engaged Member
Feb 18, 2018
OK, not going to put this in the reviews as its not great but it can all be fixed:

The good
======
Renders: Great, nice models, good composition, good lighting. In the top 5% for all games out there.
Story: I think its good, if not very original. Difficult to tell from the dialogue (see later)

The Bad
=====
Renders: Camera position sometimes shifts very slightly from side to side or up and down during scenes which is very jarring. Daughter acts 16, dresses 16, looks 36. Some scenes need a pause at the end of them as the last image just flickers into the main navigation screen.
Dialogues: I would have said this is a machine translation if it wern't for all the spelling mistakes. Desperatly in need of an english speaking ghost writer (and a spell checker).
Programming: This is an open world type game/vn which is fine but you really need to build in some kind of quest/storyline tracker or just publish a detailed walkthrough. Otherwise it is very difficult to know what to do.

Could end up a very good game with some work but a difficult play at the moment.
I agree with most of what you're saying. I do think the MC looks older than his chronological years too. There's not enough content for me to make a judgment on where I would rank this game. I don't see much originality here, and that's what helps to build your fan base. I wish the dev well and hope it gets better and updates more often.

Jul 30, 2018
i cant even play this game i wont be trying it in the future either since my post got passed over completely without even getting help on the error i posted

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

but i wish you goodluck with your game

Bonhomie

Aug 20, 2018
Found the pills, but not been asked to use them - is that right?

Anyway looks like a nice start with nice renders - look forward to the continuation.

Onysko

Jun 5, 2017
i cant even play this game i wont be trying it in the future either since my post got passed over completely without even getting help on the error i posted

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

but i wish you goodluck with your game
I'm sorry, I don't know the solution for the issue. But it seems to be a common one, try googling it.
There are also forums dedicated to Renpy and VNs that could help.

Found the pills, but not been asked to use them - is that right?

Anyway looks like a nice start with nice renders - look forward to the continuation.
That's right, this is it so far for the game.

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
How long do you think it takes to render a picture like this, on my computer.
Why is that relevant to the released product?
If you go to a restaurant and ordered a slow-cooked beef stew, do you want to sit there for 8 hours waiting? No.
If you go to a newly opened big clothing store, are you happy if they only have 3 t-shirts on display because it took them long to make 1 t-shirt? No.

I understand it takes time for you to render an image on your computer. But you chose to release the game fully knowing that there's a lack of content. Note that content doesn't necessarily mean number of renders either. You can definitely re-use renders with different dialogues. You can re-use events on daily basis for repeatable scenes. There are ways to create more content with less renders. What you have here is lack of content.

You chose to release it at the current stage, and I could only comment on what's there and what's not.

Reactions: Jeepster

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
Reusing scenes lack uniqueness IHMO, but your opinion is valid either.
It's your game so it's up to you how you want to do it. But I just want to bring up something for you to consider. What you have is a sandbox game with calendar system. Right now you have 4 time slots per day, and 7 days per week. There are 4 characters for the time being (MC, mom, sister, aunt). So in total: 4x4x7 = you have 112 individual slots to insert a scene with. If you can only produce 4 scenes per update because it takes time for you to render quality image, you're going to have a really empty looking game for a really long time. This doesn't even count the likelihood of you adding new characters into the game in the future which would mean there are even more slots to fill which makes the game feel even more empty.

An empty looking game is not a good look, and it'd make it harder for you to attract patrons.

I'm not saying for you to just randomly fill things up with useless bloat, but hopefully you find the right balance between quality and quantity.

bllahbllub

May 5, 2017
ähm i saw couple of pics with aunt but i can only do something with Julia/Mom
how to trigger the events with aunt or sis? .......

Skylaroo

May 28, 2017
So every sandbox game have no loose gaps during the day/week only this one.
I'll be blunt here, what every other sandbox game does/not, is not relevant. This discussion is about your sandbox game. If your game is crap, it doesn't help improve the game by saying "so the other games are not crap?". What you want is to improve your game and make it better so it can reach the potential. There are many other crap sandbox games, but there are also good sandbox games. You want to be in the good sandbox game category.

With more content these loose gaps will be thinner.
I fully acknowledged this in the previous post. My concern is with your speed (you brought up how long it'd take you to render quality image) vs the empty space in the game that needs to be filled. This is why I brought up the math to show you how many empty spots there are. Remember that every empty spot you have means the player has to "take a nap" which is not a good experience, especially since they will only know there's nothing to do after clicking everywhere looking for something that isn't there.

Here's what the player has to do to find there's nothing to do:
1. Click your bedroom -> nothing -> go back to hallway -> mom's room -> nothing -> go back to hallway -> sister's room -> nothing -> go back to hallway -> nothing -> go to first floor -> nothing -> go to kitchen -> nothing -> go to living room -> nothing -> to go entrance -> nothing -> leave house to town map -> coffee shop -> nothing -> back to town map -> advance time
2. Repeat Step 1 in reverse order -> to your bedroom -> take a nap
3. Repeat again from Step 1.

That is also why I brought up the possibility of re-using renders, or having repeatable scenes to (temporarily) fill up the those empty spots. The current emptiness is a problem, but it's also made worse because characters simply disappear when they have no scenes which makes the game world looks even more empty.

I'll repeat again, I'm talking strictly on the game design itself. Yes you have good renders, but player's experience is something that is really important. If they don't enjoy playing the game, then it doesn't really matter how good your render is. Imagine if you're serving a 3-michelin-star level of delicious food in your restaurant, but your seating area is in one big space complete with open toilet so you're eating in the same space as people taking a piss/dump. That's not a good experience even if your food is delicious.

Ultimately, it's up to you. I doubt what I said would have changed your mind, but at least I'd put it out here for you to consider, and maybe if there are other people feeling the same way.

All the best in the future and hope your game gets better and achieve success.

2.90 star(s) 60 Votes