djr7

Mar 20, 2018
Too bad I can't give him $25.00 via patreon anymore, oh well. All I ever wanted was just specific/detailed confirmation of basic features, and somehow i'm the bad guy. Peace!:BootyTime:
you're the "bad guy" because you continuously harassed devs and community members, ontop of that you continuously acted like you're ideas and suggestions were the only correct ones. You also continuously failed to understand the basics of the project's pipeline and threw hissy fits when the devs didn't give you attention, even when the devs responded to your ideas you continued to whine that they weren't prioritizing what you wanted. You've displayed that you're a man child and people do not want you around. You're not a part of the project, you are not special, you're $25 is not needed.

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
TOPIC: Lots of players complaining about FPS problems.

Lead dev needs to understand 99% of players are not LUMEN experts. He needs to put warnings in the sandbox that inform new players not to go overboard with the point lights that cast shadows, this is critical. You can't expect every single player who tries the game to be in the discord to learn this information.

Look in this thread, how many people are complaining about FPS problems? A LOT, but instead of addressing the issue in the sandbox with simple warnings, the lead dev is working on some feature that only caters to 0.05% of sandbox users.

The lighting system in sandbox now has a high learning curve; due to Lumen, which is going to hurt accessibility; meaning lots of people will complain about FPS but not understand why. I was one of them. When I first tried to use Lumen in Sandbox, I had terrible FPS, but after a difficult learning curve, I learned how to manage the point lights.

Potential solution:
Code:
# if user is using more than 2 point lights that cast shadows ....
if count(PointLight.CastShadows(True)) >= 2
      # show a warning that it can massively affect fps
     showPopUpWindow("Warning: Using too many point lights that cast shadows will dramatically affect FPS.", buttonType="Okay", NeverShowAgain=True)
1699920730502.png

One more thing, it's important to inform new players that the TORCH light prop in game should only be used as a cheap background light, and not as a primary form of lighting since it uses old UE4 code; unless you're using a very very very old video card in which using the torch light prop becomes an actual good solution for players with low end video cards.

If I was hypothetically the lead dev, and I saw 10 people complain about the FPS due to not understanding Lumen lighting, I'd immediately add simple warnings to the sandbox. Every Senior level or Lead dev should know about stuff like this.

The lead dev in charge of the game doesn't understand the importance of accessibility. This is not a troll or personal attack, it's just a fact.

You guy can downvote me all you want, you can hate me all you want, but it won't change the fact that too many players are having FPS problems, and they can't figure out why. If you want to facepalm this post, just pretend the facepalm is actually an emoji of you punching yourself in the face, LOL (I find it highly amusing and entertaining while I'm at work, it's my highlight of the day hahah). :KEK:
1699920971656.png

Last edited:

hakarlman

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2017
can I run UE5 version on my 1050 4gb ?
Single Player? IMO no.

Sandbox? Yes.

1. Keep your sandbox simple, don't add too many props or characters.
2. Use only ONE point light that cast shadows (then add one more point light with cast shadows off), if that doesn't work, trying use a TORCH light prop since it uses old UE4 code.

But IMO, it should be possible. I use a GTX 980 4gb getting 30-35fps. A 1050 might be weaker, but you should still be able to get around 20-25fps maybe? Try it and keep the scene simple.

Last edited:
Reactions: Username_xyz

limesseur

Oct 7, 2019

Lead dev needs to understand 99% of players are not LUMEN experts. He needs to put warnings in the sandbox that inform new players not to go overboard with the point lights that cast shadows, this is critical. You can't expect every single player who tries the game to be in the discord to learn this information.

Look in this thread, how many people are complaining about FPS problems? A LOT, but instead of addressing the issue in the sandbox with simple warnings, the lead dev is working on some feature that only caters to 0.05% of sandbox users.

The lighting system in sandbox now has a high learning curve; due to Lumen, which is going to hurt accessibility; meaning lots of people will complain about FPS but not understand why. I was one of them. When I first tried to use Lumen in Sandbox, I had terrible FPS, but after a difficult learning curve, I learned how to manage the point lights.

Potential solution:
Code:
     showPopUpWindow("Warning: Using too many point lights that cast shadows will dramatically affect FPS.", buttonType="Okay", NeverShowAgain=True)
View attachment 3084609

One more thing, it's important to inform new players that the TORCH light prop in game should only be used as a cheap background light, and not as a primary form of lighting since it uses old UE4 code; unless you're using a very very very old video card in which using the torch light prop becomes an actual good solution for players with low end video cards.

If I was hypothetically the lead dev, and I saw 10 people complain about the FPS due to not understanding Lumen lighting, I'd immediately add simple warnings to the sandbox. Every Senior level or Lead dev should know about stuff like this.

The lead dev in charge of the game doesn't understand the importance of accessibility. This is not a troll or personal attack, it's just a fact.

You guy can downvote me all you want, you can hate me all you want, but it won't change the fact that too many players are having FPS problems, and they can't figure out why. If you want to facepalm this post, just pretend the facepalm is actually an emoji of you punching yourself in the face, LOL (I find it highly amusing and entertaining while I'm at work, it's my highlight of the day hahah). :KEK:
View attachment 3084613
The problem with Lumen is that it's turned on by default, and since it's under the same setting as the other lighting options while still using its UE5 name "Lumen" instead of "Raytracing", most people don't realize what it is. That's why people also have issues of lighting being weird or wrong and causing the water to appear just white or invisible and black textures to load on various bits of geometry. Changing that setting to Screen Space fixes a lot of those options, since it's almost the same system but made for non-raytracing capable hardware.

The amount of shadows being cast no matter the lighting system chosen for that option, however, is what has such a huge effect. Shadows always have a high tax on rendering for the GPU, and many games will mention that turning down the shadow resolution settings will have a big benefit to performance, and some games will show you how much VRAM is being used with whatever the current settings are and turning down shadows from high to medium shaves off around 2-3GB of used VRAM in some cases without sacrificing too much on quality. So, instead of blaming the problem on Lumen lighting, it comes down to people using too many lights that cast shadows, which has an option when placing a light source to turn off Cast Shadows with a simple checkbox.

One other reason it's so much more impactful in sandbox is because all shadows and lighting are being rendered then and there, while many games that have realistic and raytraced shadows have those on top of pre-baked shadows for fixed and unchanging items. Buildings and setpieces and props that won't move in a game world will have pre-baked shadows that won't change, but then the player character will have the real-time shadows as well as moveable objects and other characters. The sandbox in Wild Life doesn't have the options or ability to do that as it's all rendered in real-time, hence the performance hit. Then on top of the shadows you have the other impacts of anything you add to the sandbox from characters to props to effects and automations and scripts, which can quickly add up, even having too many lights (namely point lights) in a small area without them casting shadows can hurt performance since that's not how they were meant to be used and are usually spread out more to imitate having multiple lights in each ceiling ramp in a room.

So, for some actual fixes:
-Yes, having a popup to warn about using too many lights that cast shadows is a good thing, informs map makers that using too many would make a map unoptimized.
-Changing the option for Lumen so it either has an appended "(Raytracing)" or so that it's just simply called "Raytracing". Should clear up the confusion there, since everyone knows the latter term more than the former.
-And on the user/player side, try turning down some of the other graphics settings, the differences between medium, high, and ultra are so small you will barely notice them, and changing those will give a huge boost. If you're using a 4k monitor and have the game resolution set to that, then going to high or ultra would make more of a difference, but 1080p or 1440p you will be fine on medium or high depending on your hardware.

• Angry
Reactions: Davo69

limesseur

Oct 7, 2019
Is there a way to change the day/night cycle of the sky in sandbox?
In terms of stopping time no, but you can change the time manually with a couple keys when in play mode (I don't remember which ones off the top of my head, sorry), or in edit mode there's a small button above the list of everything in the level, it looks like two clouds with a sun peeking out behind them, clicking on that will bring up the weather editor and you can adjust a few things there

• Angry

sfrw89

Jun 4, 2020
Sorry guys but can anyone tell me if WILD LIFE support ULTRA WIDE monitor resolution ( 3440 x 1440, 21:9)?

Thanks in advance.

jeanClaudus

Jul 16, 2022
The game use Global illumination before they change to lumen and GI is already heavy on gpu.
Remember to use trigger zone to limit the number of entity render at once in the sandbox its way more effective.
Also the most intensive setting is shadow yes but also uncheck virtual shadow map it use a lot of processing power for some reason.
If you turn lumen reflection to medium it turn back to SSR (lumen reflection use in this game use the lower cost version with poor reflection so it suck a lot).
using light cost but also to many actors npc the VRAM base usage is already quite high at base.
The only solution you can have is using the trigger zone system to reduce the number render the map i did is a very good exemple with a lot of point lights and actor for actor i think maybe around 100+ and still decent performance.

limesseur

Oct 7, 2019
It is still cencored for me, how do i remove it?
There are 2 options for the censoring, and you change it to "None" and "Minimal". If that does not work, then you might have a public release version which does not allow you to turn off the censoring. The download links in the first post of this thread will have the latest uncensored version

• Angry

404NoNamegr

Dec 5, 2019

Potential solution:
Code:
View attachment 3084609

View attachment 3084613
Fine you got your point across but holy s you seem obsessed over it. You recommended something to the devs and they have said they acknowledge it so there is no need to further annoy them over it. If you see they completely ignore what you think is essential, stop supporting the project and move to something else.

3.80 star(s) 176 Votes