lg123

Dec 11, 2018
How come after 7 years this game is stil just a scene viewer...?
I rember thinking of downloading this game 5 years ago, but thinking "meh i'll give it some more time.".
Now 5 years later i checked it out..
And, yup, it's just a scene viewer, pick character, watch one of 10 animations, maybe move some placeble objects...
That's it...
How the hell is that 7 years of game dev time...XD
I've shot off this opinion a few times before here but generally some folks here take it almost personally that something that they're not even working on isn't coming up to snuff.

Add another 7 and it will still only amount to a scene viewer. Tool around in ue5 for 4-5 months, then launch wildlife and you'll laugh.

My 2¢. This is a hussle that pushes something that sits on the edge of a minimally viable product, in perpetuity. I mean think of it this way - where is the impetus to actually finish this product if they're likely to make more off a slow patreon dev cycle than actual sales of a 1.0 release? You don't do patreon for a finished product, so why rush to a "release?". Hell, just do the big brain move and put the onus on the end user to make up their own content, so if they're not satisfied, then its clearly an end user problem while you slowly add/remove/rework things and release roadmaps and concept art like thats real progress.

Besides, they're developing on someone elses money. Normally a studio gets set funding or self funds, then has to work off a budget/schedule and a general scope/concept for a game and from that starting point you can build something out and work towards a finished product. Wildlife as a product right now is nebulous, vague, and directionless. The development speaks for itself, loudly, but some users here have never had a post nut clarity it seems. Patreon supporters don't demand milestones like a studio, so they'll take the drip of whatever is called production and the spigot stays open for yet another month of funding.

Reminds me of "The Day Before". No matter how obvious it was that the game was going to be a disaster, there were still a shocking number of people who defended it right up until release. The game finally comes out and then just like that, they all vanished. People don't see the problems, not because they can't, but because they refuse to.

limesseur

Oct 7, 2019
No surprise people are still whining about the game not being as far along as they want it to be, thinking it's been a whole team working on it since the start. The dev team got bigger over time and was able to do more, they also had to learn different things, it takes time to model and code everything and then to make the animations with dealing with the mocap actors' schedules and having access to what they needed, while having a team dedicated to the sandbox mode to give something for people to mess around with during the early stages. Not to mention it has gone through reworks to the world and story and such just like a big studio would have, like look at the original Halo and what Bungie thought it was going to be early on.

The devs are actively working on the game, they share development progress, especially on the discord server there's a monthly progress report. The fishing village demo that gets touted as the holy grail of where the game was going have obviously forgotten what was said about it, which was that it was a demo and very likely would change, not to mention it was on the old map which the devs did not like, so as they got better they made a better world. The world is being filled in so it actually has locations, characters are getting updates related to those new locations, the story is slowly being worked on. As for bugs, if you expected a game in active development that is being shared for everyone to play to not have bugs, then when you get a bug it's on you, but you report it so the devs can actually do something about it. At least there's something here, be happy for that.

Purple_Heart

Oct 15, 2021
No surprise people are still whining about the game not being as far along as they want it to be, thinking it's been a whole team working on it since the start. The dev team got bigger over time and was able to do more, they also had to learn different things, it takes time to model and code everything and then to make the animations with dealing with the mocap actors' schedules and having access to what they needed
Congratulations, you've described every single developer ever.

while having a team dedicated to the sandbox mode to give something for people to mess around with during the early stages.
Literally nobody asked or paid for and patreon page still says this is an rpg.

Not to mention it has gone through reworks to the world and story and such just like a big studio would have
Nobody told them to "rework" the world and non-existent story for the millionth time. Seems to me it was all intentional just to milk more patreon cows.

The devs are actively working on the game, they share development progress, especially on the discord server there's a monthly progress report.
Monthly report: We made it possible to play pong in our sandbox mode!

The world is being filled in so it actually has locations, characters are getting updates related to those new locations, the story is slowly being worked on.
Yeah, it has been slowly being worked on for years. "Slowly" is an understatement by the way.

be happy for that
I am so happy this is yet another patreon cash grab that is intentionally stuck in a development hell just to milk horny people. I am especially happy with knowing that there are people who actually shamelessly defend this.

Pete20

Dec 2, 2017
The Vr camera still doesnt work in the ue 5.3 version and, after asking on the official discord, there is no response. If it is not going to be supported anymore at least delete the vr dependencies so that we can run the UEVR injector without problems.

Reactions: Prison2020

Ikarianus

Jan 1, 2018
To be honest? I don't like the actual version (Build 15.12.2023 at this time) of the game. You're forced to play a male rookie of a Soldier/Explorer. Well, this may be just my personal preference, but i loved playing the cute Girl with wings, doing Quests and having Sex. It felt much more like actual "Wild life" to me.
These Explorers don't fit in this world at all. They are too "advanced" and it feels like playing a different version of Avatar (the one with the blue people, not the one with the elements).
I'd like to play a native girl, trying to solve some upcoming problems, to save her tribe, or even the world. Yeah you can build these futuristic people in at some point (if you really have to), but they should be the evil enemies.
Well, as i said, it's just my personal preference, since i don't like playing dude's at all.

Well, i keep myself updated on the progress, but if the dude keeps being the main role, i will abandon this. But if we get to play the cute winged girl again as MC, then i will gladly pay 50-60€ for the game.

Reactions: Tomoushie

benisfug

Aug 18, 2018
No surprise people are still whining about the game not being as far along as they want it to be, thinking it's been a whole team working on it since the start. The dev team got bigger over time and was able to do more, they also had to learn different things, it takes time to model and code everything and then to make the animations with dealing with the mocap actors' schedules and having access to what they needed, while having a team dedicated to the sandbox mode to give something for people to mess around with during the early stages. Not to mention it has gone through reworks to the world and story and such just like a big studio would have, like look at the original Halo and what Bungie thought it was going to be early on.

The devs are actively working on the game, they share development progress, especially on the discord server there's a monthly progress report. The fishing village demo that gets touted as the holy grail of where the game was going have obviously forgotten what was said about it, which was that it was a demo and very likely would change, not to mention it was on the old map which the devs did not like, so as they got better they made a better world. The world is being filled in so it actually has locations, characters are getting updates related to those new locations, the story is slowly being worked on. As for bugs, if you expected a game in active development that is being shared for everyone to play to not have bugs, then when you get a bug it's on you, but you report it so the devs can actually do something about it. At least there's something here, be happy for that.
Halo is a terrible comparison considering it still managed to get done in like 5 years despite its development being a total clusterfuck of changing genre, platform, art styles, and the company going through a crippling financial disaster.

As far back as I've been able to look Wild Life hasn't deviated much from its early ideas and honestly the story and world don't seem to be that thought out beyond "space humans hang out on primitive furry planet because reasons".

Petern

Jun 8, 2017
To be honest? I don't like the actual version (Build 15.12.2023 at this time) of the game. You're forced to play a male rookie of a Soldier/Explorer. Well, this may be just my personal preference, but i loved playing the cute Girl with wings, doing Quests and having Sex. It felt much more like actual "Wild life" to me.
These Explorers don't fit in this world at all. They are too "advanced" and it feels like playing a different version of Avatar (the one with the blue people, not the one with the elements).
I'd like to play a native girl, trying to solve some upcoming problems, to save her tribe, or even the world. Yeah you can build these futuristic people in at some point (if you really have to), but they should be the evil enemies.
Well, as i said, it's just my personal preference, since i don't like playing dude's at all.

Well, i keep myself updated on the progress, but if the dude keeps being the main role, i will abandon this. But if we get to play the cute winged girl again as MC, then i will gladly pay 50-60€ for the game.
When was it possible to do quests with the girl protagonist? Seriously asking, because I missed that.

Reactions: DarkWatcher_2018

AdeptusSteve

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2017
When was it possible to do quests with the girl protagonist? Seriously asking, because I missed that.
That was our Apoc demo from back in 2018/19. Man a lot changed since then. But I really want to get that type of feeling back for Mayas part of the main game, so you can "fly around as the cute Girl with wings, doing Quests and having Sex. "

Reactions: [User Deleted]

Petern

Jun 8, 2017
That was our Apoc demo from back in 2018/19. Man a lot changed since then. But I really want to get that type of feeling back for Mayas part of the main game, so you can "fly around as the cute Girl with wings, doing Quests and having Sex. "
I only remember something that's probably earlier than that stage: desert, a campfire and about 5 characters around it with interaction options, going around as Maya. I suppose the quests came later.

AdeptusSteve

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2017
I only remember something that's probably earlier than that stage: desert, a campfire and about 5 characters around it with interaction options, going around as Maya. I suppose the quests came later.
Yea that was the very first prototype in 2017 that I put together myself with my limited UE4 knowledge (im still learning).
Based on the "success" of publishing that we began to work more on fleshing out the project and hiring more developers to start an actual production.

lg123

Dec 11, 2018
I am so happy this is yet another patreon cash grab that is intentionally stuck in a development hell just to milk horny people. I am especially happy with knowing that there are people who actually shamelessly defend this.
I'm usually cynical enough to say the same thing but I don't think it started out this way. But the whole thing started as a vague idea anyway as some kind of survival rpg game but with sex. That was the thing to make it exceptional in that it was actually a game, unlike the other junk thats on the market.

Look at it this way; take away the nudity and sex and tell me what you're actually left with? Ideas and intention are great and all but eventually those have to translate into something that exists when you launch wildlife. Having numerous different iterations of the same thing but never sticking to something and building off of it is as close to the definition of development hell I can think of. Looking at the patreon alone tells me heaps is getting done but the end user still has to play a game, and not just be sustained off hopes and dreams from patch notes. I sure hope the procedural generation tools for the map maker is exceptionally good...

And I don't say these things with malice or bad intent. I always root for the underdog, so Wild life failing is a bad thing for the adult game genre. But it is my personal opinion that there isn't going to be a "release" of a game before 2030, not at this rate. The team is small, I get it, but this is what happens when things go slowly. Vision and original scope of design slowly change and you're always playing catch up with the new vision.

Wlms

Apr 17, 2021
Breaking news, haters gonna hate, more at 12.
Ah yes, the hate

Everyone who dares criticize what you like is obviously a hater, because you couldn't be wrong about anything and know better than everyone else on the fcking planet.

Again, because you don't seem to get it : criticizing =/= hating

Last edited:
Reactions: Dawndmon

AdeptusSteve

Game Developer
Jun 9, 2017
Ah yes, the hate

Everyone who dares criticize what you like is obviously a hater, because you couldn't be wrong about anything and know better than everyone else on the fcking planet.

Again, because you seem to don't get it : criticizing =/= hating
All good man, nobody here has something against criticism but you have to admit there is certain posts here that do stretch the definition of "criticism". I have a hard time getting anything out of "this is no game", "this game will never finish", "dev is a scammer who milks patrons", and things like that, they hardly qualify as criticism.
I really value constructive criticism, heck I even find it acceptable if people say "the game runs like shit" or "the game looks like shit". At least thats something I can understand and relate to and know how to adress.
Well I guess the former is also something I know how to adress, but I cant relate to it. I cant just snap my fingers and have a finished game on the table, I just hope that with further progress in the story mode and graphical development those types of voices gradually quiet down.
peace

Wlms

Apr 17, 2021
All good man, nobody here has something against criticism but you have to admit there is certain posts here that do stretch the definition of "criticism". I have a hard time getting anything out of "this is no game", "this game will never finish", "dev is a scammer who milks patrons", and things like that, they hardly qualify as criticism.
I really value constructive criticism, heck I even find it acceptable if people say "the game runs like shit" or "the game looks like shit". At least thats something I can understand and relate to and know how to adress.
Well I guess the former is also something I know how to adress, but I cant relate to it. I cant just snap my fingers and have a finished game on the table, I just hope that with further progress in the story mode and graphical development those types of voices gradually quiet down.
peace
Don't get me wrong, when I refer to criticism, I refer to actual criticism, not rants or undeserved shitting.

But I know the dude I replied to classes critics and random people shitting on the game in the same category.

Reactions: Dawndmon

lg123

Dec 11, 2018
peace
Hello Steve. Here is an olive branch. To be concise, I've posted very very few times on these forums, and not all of the posts are on this thread. I'm relatively quiet, respective to a thread over eleven hundred pages long.

At least after today it will "quiet" down anyhow since I've said what I and others perceive, which don't need repeating. If you're disregarding that some folk might perceive things in a seriously bad light, then that is perfectly fine. Everyone has to manage their energy to focus on so many given things in any given day.

But these point of views didn't fall from the sky out of nowhere. As you say that you're having a hard time getting anything out of the harsh words, and I completely understand not taking the "no disrespect but..[insert disrespectful thing]" seriously, most people don't. Dismissing it as unhelpful might not serve you if/when in a month/year or so from now a new set of people start saying the same thing. I've been on the other end of that interaction a few times and while I very much don't like it, I do reflect about what does get said because when it happens in person, the person saying something can be doing it in good faith, even if it doesn't seem like it. Just food for thought.

I'll cut as directly to the point I can to the criticism that you would be looking for so as to at least maybe provide, at a minimum, something useful for you in this unpleasant interaction.

Animations/Human modeling; A+ work. I've told privately to someone here that the person in charge of these things are the heroes in this production. I don't have many bad things to say because in this department, I have full confidence that the person/team behind this part will be making steady improvements, as they have been reliably, and pointing out tiny flaws at this time feels like nit picking. Lets take the hair for example; there was a build where the hairs went form normal to looking real bad, but I hadn't cared much as I understood there was some change that messed with how they were rendering and that given time, they'll get around to fixing it. And they did. I don't have to tell a chef that their toast is on fire, they'll take care of it, its pretty obvious.

Bravo, well done. I know for a fact they'll continue the good work.

Maps; Would criticism of this part of the game even be valid? I can't really give fault or give praise here because thus far, the main map looks like a prototype and to give critique on what is obviously very far from completion doesn't tell the mapper what he doesn't already know, ie, numerous reworks, odd topography, placeholders, and actor/static mesh assets that don't seem to fit together artistically. Unlike the hair problem mentioned earlier, nitpicking visuals here is the only area I think is valid because a map is one part style, and one part substance. Every great map has both parts, because it has to be easy to look at, and fun to move in.

I'm not a 10+ year world builder on UE engine but I do have a considerable amount of time on building island biomes in UE5, I find it enjoyable. Lots of iterations with working out how the topography should look, trying to respect how a river will flow and show converging tributary streams merging into a cozy river, and cliffs that make are interesting but believable to the terrain. It isn't an easy task but that said, I don't particularly like the way the cliffs are laid in the middle of some really strange topography. I could go into very fine detail but again, I don't know if its even helpful because given the numerous map reworks, I don't know what is here to stay and what is getting removed/redone.

Combat/Inventory; I'm afraid I cannot provide any meaningful feedback here. There isn't enough combat to judge what is lacking and what is suiting the needs of the game. Same goes for an inventory. I'm unsure what style will be the final decision, but a tarkov style tetris method inventory is good for providing/creating logistic challenges to the player, and a minecraft style grid inventory is good for providing ease and facilitating faster organizing - I'll make a judgement when things start to fall into place.

RPG/Story; So I know there have been a handful of test beds for missions as well as fail conditions on some interactions in the past. Walking up to an NPC and hitting 'interact' and having it playout like its Fallout4 is fine. Its just fine. I'd be much happier with a free flowing interaction where the camera doesn't change instead of where the camera cuts back and forth like its KOTOR1/2. This part of a game will take a surprising amount of time to actually put out, so I have to reserve judgement on the substance once more is out, but so far the structure of how the story gets presented isn't something to be alarmed about, I don't think. As for the main player, I'm unsure which way its going to go, whether or not max is your man, or if maya will be making the lead character. I don't mind either way but I'd probably prefer max even if there are some who'd abandon the game if that were the case (and you probably would have figured that I, LG123, is the unreasonable person in this thread lol)

AI/NPCs; This is another area which I don't know where I could be helpful as I'm unsure how far the extend the actors will be coded with ai. I don't know what level of autonomy your team is looking to give the npcs and whether or not they're mostly there to either perform just one or two functions (kill, trade, etc) before the player moves on to a new area, or if some will have varying levels of interactivity that unlocks as the player progresses through the game. The more I see, the more I could comment on. As of now, they're happily existing and will follow when they're told.

UI; This will be a hot take because I'll be just going on what I think should be done and less on what's currently in - now hear me out on this, i'm serious.

I would like the least amount of UI elements in-game as possible, because I think it becomes something really special when you let the raw sensory deliver information to the player. Ex, instead of a stamina bar, have it so that sprinting will begin to very slightly slow down after 20 seconds and the player character will begin to breath audibly, at first quietly, and then very noticeably after sprinting for 2-3 minutes and continuing to slightly slow down. Perhaps also tie the low stamina to skin wetness, showing the player that the character is perspiring heavily. This would be a lot more interesting than a simple green bar that runs out and the player instantly goes back to normal speed.

Don't have "E" hover at an interactable, maybe make the object get a glow outline or something subtle but impossible to miss. Things like that. This would be the perfect game to try and pull this off.

You can take that principle and apply it in many areas of a game and that opens up a style of game where the visuals are front and center and lets the player get immersed a bit better than if there was text/status bars baked on to the screen with floating contextual menus that show up when moving around within the game world.

Overall; In this wall of text, I hope that you'll find something of value. I was more subtle in saying what I have said before but I was more direct as to what I think is a very long ways away from being in a state where an opinion even matters; I can't give an opinion on a pie when I don't even know what ingredients are going to be in it. Once I can actually launch the .exe and see the "ingredients" only then do opinions actually matter, mine or any one else's.

I wish you the best of luck in the production, and whether or not you think I'm hostile, I can only emphasis that I am rooting for this to be successful. I always root for the underdog, and small teams are underdogs in an industry run by near billion dollar budgets. But whether or not its fair to you or the team, the path behind us is littered with endless cases of failures, let downs, and outright scams - that isn't saying you're doing any of those but that is the backdrop in which patreon projects live in because that is the norm.

I will check back in a year or so, as has been tradition for many years now, and maybe I'll make another whine post, or maybe I'll eat a giant plate for crow?

God speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wlms and limesseur
3.80 star(s) 176 Votes