IG88a

Oct 9, 2019
You're welcome to recommend artists that are taking commissions or are otherwise willing to work on the game.
You can't take Akabur out of Witch Trainer and still call it Witch Trainer. If that means waiting on "the thing from july" to pan out, so be it.

If that means we only get text based sex scenes, like in 9/10ths of the game, it is better than the alternative. The charm of WTS and this mod has always been it's writing and expanding on the game world through the in style art additions. You can have the former without the latter. The sprites, facial libraries, and costume contributions dating back to the gitlab days are all still there.

A Mod isn't a product, the game is Akaburs.

Bummenphist

Jul 21, 2018
We've been very open with our artist search for the past 8 months to have someone do commissionwork on many different platforms related to NSFW art and adult game development. I've asked artists that draws in a similar style that is fans of the original work and they usually politely decline. Finding someone that is both able to work within our budget and spend a lot of time to adapt their style isn't easy because most freelance artists build a brand for themselves and deviating too much from that means that once their time with the game is done people would expect that sort of style.

We see a lot of people complaining about art, I see complaints about literally every character that has been added that aren't the original ones. It's really hard for us to distinguish constructive critisism sometimes when most of what we get is "It doesn't look the same". This mod has been going for 5 years and it's not like we're unaproachable by artists that are want to work on it. Akaburs style is hard to master because it's a bit of a mix between Disney and Anime and it leans in different direction depending on the character and follows different rules than most artists are used to.

Finding an artist that can do the style and is available and willing to work on the game is difficult. There's many things that needs to align for all those things to happen. The fact that there's so much critique being thrown at them when they're still working on adapting their style is enough for a freelance artist to decide against working on a project like this. This project is hard to work on because it's a mod. There's rarely original files to work with and we're in the process of re-tracing/improving existing models to make it easier for artists to work on.

The thing is, we also want the best for the project as well as you guys. The majority of the team joined it because they're fans of it. Art being an issue with it has been obvious since the mod started. I've spoken to other game devs that has had to swap artists before and what we're basically hoping on is the "Third alternative". I spoke to the main dev of "A third Crisis" cause they swapped artist and they redid all of the characters. That's not really viable for us because people wouldn't like that. The other one that I spoke to is the main dev for the "Rogue like" mod, he actually contacted us to see how we dealt with this issue and I was unable to give him a good answer other than good luck. In their case their artist is even talking to the dev of the game to adapt their style. It's a struggle that maybe at some point once we've either worked with an artist to adapt their style, the fans are okay with meeting half way in terms of style so that the project can proceed properly. Or if an artist approaches us showing that they know how to draw in the style to a high enough quallity that people expect.

We're currently working with an artist that is working on adapting their style so we'll see where that leads as well but it's a longer process that has been going since end of June so we'll see if that leads anywhere. We can just ask for peoples patience and take the project for what it is right now, we appreaciate all the feedback and work to adjust things as we go.
I wish I had the talent to contribute to this, but I fall well short of the mark. I tried to create a Ren'Py game based on Witch Trainer to see what might be possible, and have so far been unable to commit the time just to get my head around it properly. So even at my very basic level I can see what you're up against. Please don't take my comments as criticism, I fully support your methods and your results. I merely wanted to see if there may have been viable alternatives based on my own experiences. Please continue as you're doing, because the results have been terrific.

Lynn

May 21, 2017
You're welcome to recommend artists that are taking commissions or are otherwise willing to work on the game.
Isn't that what the team behind the game is supposed to be doing, though?..
It seems that what you're actually taking issue with is people not liking the artwork that was presented. I don't know what makes you think it's up to the players to find people to work on the game. It seems like that kind of process wouldn't work very well, you'd have tons of recommendations based on everyone's preferences, not to mention that how the team is running and how the money they earn is spent is up to the team itself.

Reactions: Sole

TropeCode

Witch Trainer: Silver
Game Developer
Jul 11, 2019
Isn't that what the team behind the game is supposed to be doing, though?..
That's what they are doing. I was replying to the notion that IG88a put forward, which is that there are better artists in a given price range than what the team has currently come up with. Someone who says that would maybe in a position to recommend an artist.

I'm not saying that finding the right artist is not the job of the team, just that recommendations are welcome. Besides, help is always appreciated. Everyone on the team began by contributing something to the existing game/mod.

Reactions: Bummenphist

thedoctorr

May 10, 2018
I don't like the direction of the new art style for the CG. I think I would stop caring about the game if it were to go that way. I know the team has been struggling to find a new artist, but settling for this style kills any remaining interest in the game, at least for me it does. I don't expect them to find someone to be able to replicate Akabur's style at all. I'm completely fine with having an artist use their own style. Just maybe not so amateur anime style and more of a western cartoon style or realistic style.

Here are some artists to consider:

IG88a

Oct 9, 2019
I was replying to the notion that IG88a put forward
The you fundamentally misunderstood the point. The art doesn't fit the game. In my opinion it's entirely cookie cutter, generic low level animu art you see in every 0.0001a[abandoned] game here, but my opinion and the majorities opinion of the art itself isn't the point. The point is that it does not fit the sprites, chibis, or existing art.

"It's hard" doesn't matter, at the end of the day it's a mod and I'd like to think it still has a core of faithfulness to the game itself. This ain't it, and as a self admitted stopgap if they're exploring other options... wait for the other options. Plan for a CG, write the scene as text like everything else, emote the sprite. People will be happy. It doesn't have to be perfect, the mod sprites aren't perfect, the mo CGs aren't perfect, but at it's core it was more Witch Trainer.

A lot happier than having what amounts to an Internet Hermione Artpack shoved into the game.

Last edited:

IG88a

Oct 9, 2019
Regardless, I think we can all agree on one thing.

Follow the artistic conventions of Akabur as set out in princess trainer. Face in shadow 3rd person CGs and 1st person Pov from the characters angle. It's Basic Hgame art design. And she better be ready to draw a lot of angry crying girls getting fucked, spanked, or sucking dick. If you must go down this route, at least do it right with proper layered CGs connected to the dialogue. Kitsunearts has 8 patrons personally versus 631 last I checked. Can she handle the art output or themes necessary? You do some pretty dark shit to Hermione if you so choose. Along with the art itself these are more valid concerns people have.

With a few small changes I do recant it not being better than most (but she is a solid manga artist on her own time) with some light teasing (eyes rolling up on same plane, larger mouth, bit more disney in genies face, smaller nose, hood shadow). In it's own game with it's own art design it'd work. I just can't see it fitting inside of witch trainer as we know it. With Akaburs blessing or if he's said fuck it do whatever already, why not just make a fan spinoff standalone reboot? You guys have the talent.
soiled it.gif soiled it2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: ubrus

Rouste

Jan 25, 2018
Hi, how trigger the luna's event when she is under the desk ? plz, like the picture in the first page

Colorworks

Sep 2, 2018
Here are some artists to consider:

Meh, I'll toss one out there too:

Moonhed

Aug 3, 2018
My Two cents as a lurker, if this was an independent new game with that level of art it'd be an instant hard pass on that alone.

Mo's bodies weren't perfect, yes he cut and recycled assets (which is what you should just come to terms with continuing to do), but it was in the style. I know that he isn't able to do it going into the future, but if you can't find someone else to keep to the style constraints a lot of us are more than fine with the massive UI updates, new characters, and new storylines even if they stay text based. It's Witch Trainer, it's what we're used to.

Why not use the Ginny and Daphne art available in the Trainers Image Library? It would only need a few tweaks and it’s already in the right style. And the pissing options for Hermione and Luna were quite... interesting

Congressman Weiner

Jul 29, 2018
I have really enjoyed the Silver edition (as I have said many times) and it is my favorite game here, but perhaps it is time to start a new game. Having these characters not match what is already in the game is indeed kind of jarring but in their own game by themselves, it wouldn't matter.

In other words, I think what people are saying is not that the art is bad. It just doesn't match. It's like if they pasted one of those new Loony Tunes cartoons into an old one from the 40s. Or edited the 60s Batman into Dark Knight. By themselves, they're just fine. It's just weird to see them together.

Reactions: Netori Popeye

LoafyLemon

Witch Trainer Silver
Game Developer
Jul 1, 2017
To make a game is not something you can simply hop on and do, unfortunately. It takes months (sometimes even years) of planning, writing scenarios, proofreading, making conceptual art, background art, character art, interface, coding a game loop with fun and engaging game-play mechanics...

This is what we have done for Witch Trainer: Silver, our monthly plans are public and we are open about it, we also were, and are open about art we plan adding in the next upcoming update 1.38 release. We mentioned multiple times we had struggled with finding an artist(s) willing to work with us despite our extensive art style requirements, specific image layering and our limited budget.

I understand you may have concerns about the direction the mod is headed and its future, but asking us to abandon the project because we are finally able to add our own art into the game is disheartening to say the least. We listened when majority of you said the animated art-style we have proposed half a year ago was not fitting for the game, we parted ways with the artist and started looking for another one. After half a year of searching for the holy grail, we have found two new talented artists willing to work with us and accepting all of our requirements.

We decided to show you a preview of the new CG scene because we were (still are) excited and because we wanted to show that your money does not go to waste. Maybe it was a mistake on our part to show an unfinished piece of art, I cannot be certain, but I believe being open and reaching out to our community is most important, I joined the team after one of the developers reached out to me after all.

Akabur's art-style is unique, his line-work is crude, shades and shapes are rough, one could even say unrefined. None of what I said about his style is a bad thing, it is only a simplification of how I would try to describe his art-style in one sentence. Akabur does not follow any common drawing techniques or styles, he makes the rules himself and only a handful of people can replicate his art with success, and they are not easily reachable. The fact that Akabur's style is constantly evolving does not make the task any easier. Sadly, we might never be able to reach the heights of art-style you are expecting of us to provide, but we are trying to make up for it in other aspects of the game.

We have put tremendous amount of work to make this game, a game we would enjoy and play ourselves, a game about an eccentric, sarcastic time-traveler stuck in an unfamiliar world full of magic, lots of sex and
(even if cringey at times) humour. I think we did pretty well at least in two beforementioned aspects. The game currently has three times more content compared to original game including; five additional characters (not counting side characters that have been added in the meantime), at least a hundred new events, 60 thousand new dialogue lines and even a mini game in the form of a card game. We have many, many more ideas how to make the game better and we plan to deliver, but for that we need artists.

Some of you might say that what makes the Witch Trainer a good game is art other might say it is thanks to the character design. For me, personally, what makes Witch Trainer a good game is its humour, world creation and a bizarre story, everything else is just a an addition that makes the game even more pleasant.

I understand that some of you might dislike the new art and be critical about it. We are thankful for your constructive critique, we read every single comment in this thread and our discord, and discussed the upcoming changes and adjustments to the art, which you will see in the future. The current CG images that are in the game for Hermione (except for the ball ending) were not in the original game, they were made by one of us years ago by simply editing one of the old Akabur's images from another game. Fortunately we can do better than that with the help of our new artists.

I know I cannot convince all of you to like the new art but at least give us a chance, that is all I ask. Maybe, just maybe, by the end of the day, you might start enjoying the new art and the content that has been made thanks to it. If not, there will always be an option to make the new CG scenes optional, allowing you to watch the animated chibi scenes as in the original game.

Thank you for all your feedback. You will hear from us soon.

Last edited:

IG88a

Oct 9, 2019
For me, personally, what makes Witch Trainer a good game is its humour, world creation and a bizarre story, everything else is just a an addition to make the game even more pleasant.
My, and a lot of our thoughts exactly. Which is why a lot of us seem to feel the promise of new CGs should only be fulfilled if they are in line with that. High quality writing and expressive sprites reactions is what Witch trainer is built on. New scenes need to be in line with what is already there. As something that is a passion project as you state for all involved you'd agree doing it right is more important than just getting it done, right?

4.10 star(s) 75 Votes