maladroit

Oct 13, 2022
If you get ending 2, how can you see ending 1? I assumed I could use the cheat menu to drop Hermione's public # down to 10-12 and then do the ending, but that didn't work. Thought maybe it saved the ending state when you triggered the gala, so I rolled back to before I triggered the countdown, changed H's stats, still got ending 2. And then I thought the Gallery was supposed to give you the option to view the other ending, but that only shows the same one I already saw.

Is there an option through the cheat menu or a save edit? Or am I missing something obvious? It was fun to revisit this after a couple of years, but I'm sure not grinding through half the game again just to see a slightly different CG at the end.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Is there an option through the cheat menu or a save edit? Or am I missing something obvious? It was fun to revisit this after a couple of years, but I'm sure not grinding through half the game again just to see a slightly different CG at the end.
don't do public favors and she'll be private whore.

maladroit

Oct 13, 2022
don't do public favors and she'll be private whore.
Yes. I'm aware of the difference between the endings.

I'm asking how to see the other ending once you've already reached one, without having to grind through half the game gain.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017

I'm asking how to see the other ending once you've already reached one, without having to grind through half the game gain.
goto devs discord and ask.

maladroit

Oct 13, 2022
goto devs discord and ask.
ok? I guess I'm having a hard time believing that in 626 pages of discussion over 7 years nobody asked or answered this question, but since I couldn't find it in search and you don't know, maybe not.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
ok? I guess I'm having a hard time believing that in 626 pages of discussion over 7 years nobody asked or answered this question, but since I couldn't find it in search and you don't know, maybe not.
quite likely was same in akabur's game.

Livvy

Mar 15, 2018
I believe you'd have to go back to before you got the warning telling you that if you continue, you'll be locked into the public whore ending.

• Haha
Reactions: cxx

jahall

Feb 20, 2019

It's now probably too late to help you, but it may help other people. ISTR the game warns you that you are about to make a choice which will lock you into one ending or the other. It's a good idea to save at that point, so you can go back to that save later and get the other ending.

Tenstorm

Jul 16, 2021
It's now probably too late to help you, but it may help other people. ISTR the game warns you that you are about to make a choice which will lock you into one ending or the other. It's a good idea to save at that point, so you can go back to that save later and get the other ending.
Would it lose the achievement that way if I load the save to go back to the different ending? :unsure:

maladroit

Oct 13, 2022
I have a save around that point, sure. I'm pretty religious about saving, I have saves at basically every decision point. The thing that I'd prefer not to have to do is, roll all the way back to that save and spend hours grinding forward from it again just to see one or two slightly different CGs in the alternate ending.

Honestly it seems crazy to me that there's apparently no way, having finished the game once, to get to the other ending besides playing through half the game again. It seems crazy as a design decision to begin with, and then it seems even crazier that no one has addressed it in mods or workarounds.

Would it lose the achievement that way if I load the save to go back to the different ending? :unsure:
Achievements seem to be kept in persistent storage (the 'persistent' file in your Ren'Py save folder), so rolling back to an old save shouldn't affect them. Just verified this in my game, loaded a save hours before the ending and I still have the ending achievement. There's a setting under Preferences > Accessibility where you can wipe persistent data if you ever do want to clear achievements and start fresh, but otherwise short of deleting the file itself you should be fine.

jahall

Feb 20, 2019
I have a save around that point, sure. I'm pretty religious about saving, I have saves at basically every decision point. The thing that I'd prefer not to have to do is, roll all the way back to that save and spend hours grinding forward from it again just to see one or two slightly different CGs in the alternate ending.

Honestly it seems crazy to me that there's apparently no way, having finished the game once, to get to the other ending besides playing through half the game again. It seems crazy as a design decision to begin with, and then it seems even crazier that no one has addressed it in mods or workarounds.

Achievements seem to be kept in persistent storage (the 'persistent' file in your Ren'Py save folder), so rolling back to an old save shouldn't affect them. Just verified this in my game, loaded a save hours before the ending and I still have the ending achievement. There's a setting under Preferences > Accessibility where you can wipe persistent data if you ever do want to clear achievements and start fresh, but otherwise short of deleting the file itself you should be fine.
I haven't played the game for a while, so my memory may be at fault, but as I recall it the decision point isn't that far from the end, so it would be more like playing 5-10% of the game again rather than half of it.

maladroit

Oct 13, 2022
I haven't played the game for a while, so my memory may be at fault, but as I recall it the decision point isn't that far from the end, so it would be more like playing 5-10% of the game again rather than half of it.
I have 18 pages of saves for this game. (I save more than most, because I like to go back and try different things a lot.)

The point at which Hermione would have crossed this threshold is on page 5 of my saves.

This will obviously vary with the way people play and the order in which they tackle things, but the idea that most people are hitting this point within 5-10% of the end of the game is just... wildly inaccurate. If you're doing stuff with all the girls and exploring all of your options, trying to keep things pretty balanced, you're probably going to have to roll back at least halfway through the game to get back to that point.

edit: honestly it seems clear that what's really needed is for someone to just figure out exactly what switches are being tracked on the back end and either document it in one of these threads or make a mod to manage it. I'm a little rusty but I'll look at it this weekend.

maladroit

Oct 13, 2022
Wow, folks in this thread are just *really* insistent that replaying hours of a game you just finished to see a slightly different CG ending is a totally reasonable and expected thing to do and that any suggestion to the contrary is way out of line.

Fine then, when I figure out how to just modify the save to easily get to both endings, I'll keep it to myself, nobody else would ever want or need such a thing I guess.

4.10 star(s) 78 Votes