nepheele

Mar 30, 2018
Tried this game and I can say it is awesome.
I really enjoyed the story and the characters, I really hope to see more very soon.
The characters are all good and the interactions are perfect as well.
It doesn't really matter to me if it's linear or sandboxed, the important thing is that we don't lose any interactions due to other choices, something I don't really appreciate.
If I can make a few small notes, I found it weird after the scenes with the harpy and the goblins that mc wakes up and does not discuss it nor think of it at all after everything has happened.
And it seems to me that at the end of chapter2 he promised a sort of hide-and-seek with Gillie over the weekend but nothing happened and he moved on to the segment with popularity poll, too bad.
A profile icon in the screen for the characters can be good i think.
Thanks for the game, i really liked it

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Tried this game and I can say it is awesome.
I really enjoyed the story and the characters, I really hope to see more very soon.
The characters are all good and the interactions are perfect as well.
It doesn't really matter to me if it's linear or sandboxed, the important thing is that we don't lose any interactions due to other choices, something I don't really appreciate.
If I can make a few small notes, I found it weird after the scenes with the harpy and the goblins that mc wakes up and does not discuss it nor think of it at all after everything has happened.
And it seems to me that at the end of chapter2 he promised a sort of hide-and-seek with Gillie over the weekend but nothing happened and he moved on to the segment with popularity poll, too bad.
A profile icon in the screen for the characters can be good i think.
Thanks for the game, i really liked it
Yeah, I actually took out the hide-and-seek bit and that dialogue has been replaced. I'll look at the Harpy thing, thank you.

And yes, the way I'm currently designing the game is for the player to not miss anything due to choices. They just affect the order you see things in. I'm working on making Skip buttons for the lewd scenes as well so you can skip the girls you're not interested in.

Reactions: nepheele

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
I REALLY hates me some yandere. Do we get to ignore or (preferably) kill Cecillia? If she's gonna be a big thing; I'm out. I had a girfriend like her in college. Ended up with vehicle vandalism, threats of violence, police involvement, jail time.....all her. Had security at my wedding 4 years later. I hate, hate, hate yandere/obsessive girls. Makes my neck tight and my trigger finger itchy.
Looks interesting otherwise, but NOT playing with crazy stalker - too many PTSD flashbacks.

hofom77573

Apr 17, 2021
I REALLY hates me some yandere. Do we get to ignore or (preferably) kill Cecillia? If she's gonna be a big thing; I'm out. I had a girfriend like her in college. Ended up with vehicle vandalism, threats of violence, police involvement, jail time.....all her. Had security at my wedding 4 years later. I hate, hate, hate yandere/obsessive girls. Makes my neck tight and my trigger finger itchy.
Looks interesting otherwise, but NOT playing with crazy stalker - too many PTSD flashbacks.
That is the crux of the harem path. Having it as an option for no girl left behind is great if all girls are adored however a nuisance if one of the girls is like Jar Jar Binks :KEK:

Don't see how miss stabby pants is going to reconcile with her victim...
I just want to fuck him first!
Well I'll end up fucking him too!
Lets hug and we can both fuck him together :love:

PS Sorry but not sorry for thrusting my knife into you
st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.u1.png

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Ya can't please everyone. Some people really like this aspect. I had a psycho stalker at one point, too. That's where I got the inspiration for Cecilia. However, in a game like this where everyone is an option, there's room for a lot of different things. She is not all-powerful, and if she goes after the wrong girl, she will be in serious trouble. Not to mention there is an investigator on site now, and a security team incoming.

I could provide a story route choice to make with her that could involve removing her from the game. But if you remove her from the game, there's one other character girl you'll never get to meet, that you can only meet through her. One of the things I'm trying to do is make it so that no choice locks you out of content.

Honestly, though, if Cecilia triggers you, I understand if you want to pass on this game. I getcha and I can't blame ya. I'm working on Skip buttons to skip lewd scenes with girls you want to avoid, but I think in your case, that may not be enough. Perhaps a solution may present itself later on that might make it more playable for more people, and I'm open to hearing suggestions from more experienced coders.

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
I could provide a story route choice to make with her that could involve removing her from the game. But if you remove her from the game, there's one other character girl you'll never get to meet, that you can only meet through her. One of the things I'm trying to do is make it so that no choice locks you out of content.
If choices have no consequences is it really a choice? Give the player the option to fuck themselves and you'll have some engaging with the story trying to min/max things, others arguing how their choice was the superior one, and the funny one that wants to be free from consequences :LOL:

Oh, if the player favors this one girl then they don't get that other girl?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I say let the player feel like they are playing the game. Their interactions or lack thereof should be more rewarding then click next to victory.
Did the player like this girl? Interacting with her gets the player more content with her which is rewarding.
What if they loath that girl? Avoiding her like the plague should have that she leaves billy alone even if that means her hot sister is also removed from the fun, a weigh the pros vs cons of their actions.

Does a girl not appeal to a particular fetish? As much as some guys like girls with strap-ons others might not like it up the butt, there should be some weight if the player opts in or out of things. I know if I tell a girl no repeatedly and she keeps insisting on it at some point I wonder if she has the attention span of a gold fish as I get annoyed :cautious: The real funny part is when a dev gets lazy and just assumes after x times the player is surely into that since writing branching paths is hard... Especially funny if they skip the male anal rape scene then are reminded on how much fun they had (Actually had that happen in one of the games I played, the dev was adamant that it's crucial to the story, but besides the don't drop the soap gag in the end could have been removed without any meaningful impact. Sure leave it in for those that like such things but trying to force the player to like such things doesn't always have the payoff the no content left behind promises :geek:)

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
It's less about dev laziness and more about my inexperience with python and Ren'Py as a whole lol. I'm used to writing novels and D&D campaigns. I wish I knew how to code branching storylines in such a way that I could account for all the choices a player might make and still have a high quality main story. Unfortunately, this being my first game, I still have a lot to learn in that regard, and it's gonna feel more like a Kinetic Novel than a Visual Novel with impactful choices. Again, originally it was going to be sandbox with a quest system for each girl. Full freedom of choice. I simply do not have the knowledge to do that and I have to work within my limits, or take stupid amounts of time between new content releases.

That's why I'm considering adding features later in the game, after I've learned more about what I'm doing. Nothing is off the table. It's just a matter of whether or not I can get these two brain cells to bang together in such a way that the coding I need to learn clicks, among the 4 other projects, job, and Twitch channel I'm currently juggling at the moment lol.

The good news is, despite that, I've completed the planning phase for the next build. If all goes well and I can hyperfocus it, I could have it done and polished in just a few weeks. That, I believe, is one of the strengths of a more kinetic, choice-light experience. It's simpler, so I can focus more of my energy on the writing and the quality rather than the coding and bug fixing.

Nov 24, 2019
You don't really need to write a branch for everything (unless you're writing a CYOA), as long that you remember the choices and avoid doing blatant mistakes like that one it usually is fine. It is as masterdragonson said after all...

I know if I tell a girl no repeatedly and she keeps insisting on it at some point I wonder if she has the attention span of a gold fish as I get annoyed :cautious:
(And for that, simple boolean variables and if checks are plenty)

Sandbox is a good choice if you have a non-linear story, or is built as several side stories. If it is linear then it is just overhead and a time sink.

That's why I'm considering adding features later in the game, after I've learned more about what I'm doing. Nothing is off the table. It's just a matter of whether or not I can get these two brain cells to bang together in such a way that the coding I need to learn clicks, among the 4 other projects, job, and Twitch channel I'm currently juggling at the moment lol.
"If it is important but not urgent, then delegate."

Easier said than done, you may think, but have you asked for help already? :ROFLMAO:
"You'll never know until you try".

masterdragonson

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2018
It's less about dev laziness and more about my inexperience with python and Ren'Py as a whole lol. I'm used to writing novels and D&D campaigns. I wish I knew how to code branching storylines in such a way that I could account for all the choices a player might make and still have a high quality main story. Unfortunately, this being my first game, I still have a lot to learn in that regard, and it's gonna feel more like a Kinetic Novel than a Visual Novel with impactful choices. Again, originally it was going to be sandbox with a quest system for each girl. Full freedom of choice. I simply do not have the knowledge to do that and I have to work within my limits, or take stupid amounts of time between new content releases.

The good news is, despite that, I've completed the planning phase for the next build. If all goes well and I can hyperfocus it, I could have it done and polished in just a few weeks. That, I believe, is one of the strengths of a more kinetic, choice-light experience. It's simpler, so I can focus more of my energy on the writing and the quality rather than the coding and bug fixing.
Conditional Statements

Mostly record important actions and keep a note in your story book that those matter more than others.
I'm not against some choices being flavor text only as those can be fun to.
Was the player angry that their toast was burnt? Sure let them complain but it's impossible to have the butterfly effect for everything :ROFLMAO:

Did the player chose at an important moment to offer to help a girl or flee the scene?
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Ya can't please everyone. Some people really like this aspect. I had a psycho stalker at one point, too. That's where I got the inspiration for Cecilia. However, in a game like this where everyone is an option, there's room for a lot of different things. She is not all-powerful, and if she goes after the wrong girl, she will be in serious trouble. Not to mention there is an investigator on site now, and a security team incoming.

Honestly, though, if Cecilia triggers you, I understand if you want to pass on this game. I getcha and I can't blame ya. I'm working on Skip buttons to skip lewd scenes with girls you want to avoid, but I think in your case, that may not be enough. Perhaps a solution may present itself later on that might make it more playable for more people, and I'm open to hearing suggestions from more experienced coders.
I know you can't please everyone, and don't owe me as an individual any special treatment - just my input on her and my reaction. I like the rest so far. I don't necessarily want to skip her, or who she hooks me up with - I just don't want her to be a permanent fixture in my life. If I could deal with her shit, then kick her out or break her and be done with her I'd be cool with that. If I can play her route then leave that behind, I'm ok. If I'm forced to keep her in the game long term - no. I've played other games where I can supposedly choose which girls I want to be with.....but can't scrape off the yandere girl; they keep coming back like cancer. Cecille is beyond yandere into "Fatal Attracton".
Keep at it, it's a good start overall.

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Game Compressor
Donor
Apr 2, 2019
Adding to the excellent suggestions by pazkero and masterdragonson regarding choices, it might be worth your while to take a peek at other dev's works to see how they handle branching and skippable LIs. Take for instance the following three examples:

Nefastus, the developer of MidLifeCrisis, creates long flowing scripts with many small conditional blocks to flavor text, huge conditional blocks and menu choices to handle skipping or playing out scenes, and only a jew jumps for long skips. Killer7, the developer of both MyNewFamily as well as MyNewMemories, uses conditional statements to both flavor text as well as jumping to branches and specific scenes. And CheekyGimp, the developer of Where the Heart Is, uses a mix of menu choices and jumps to create complex decision trees that I feel are best studied on a screen wide enough to look at different parts of the script simultaneously.

I attached the relevant script files (in case of MidLifeCrisis v03, which showcases the skipping of scenes well) but will remove them should either you or one of the pinged devs ask for it.

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Yes, the Skip sequence thing from My New Family was just the kind of thing I was planning. The problem is, I have a lot of scenes that feature more than one girl, and if we skip a story scene because the player isn't interested in Nook, then the player doesn't meet the Harpy and the following scenes with the Harpy will make no sense. Personally, I'll probably only give the option to skip the lewd scenes, as they will not be integral to the story for the most part.

jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021
That's where I got the inspiration for Cecilia. However, in a game like this where everyone is an option, there's room for a lot of different things.
I like the harem I build more than the one handed to me on a silver platter :)
Having options is fun, it let's me choose things like if I prefer milf teachers or young school girls :love:

jadih96207

Apr 30, 2021
New progress post. Hope I'm allowed to post these here.

It's called shilling game news and it's expected :D. You feed the hype train, fans get hyped, some throw money into the furnace to make it go choo choo, and the cycle repeats until you're either ran over by the train, it fizzles out, or you blitz the thing until it's finished.

tumblr_nrpa0jNSBj1qjztgpo1_400.gif

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
New progress post. Hope I'm allowed to post these here.

Those poll results surprise me a bit (dont remember seeing the new characters options in the poll) but i understand them. I mean, we have been introduced to several characters already, some of them that have had close to no interactions with the MC (Orc for example, but there are more).

With the lewd scenes, i know that in my case i selected to make sure there arent releases with no lewd scenes (like some devs have) because it wont fit the game, but not because the frequency needs to be increased (i think the frequency up untill now is good).

I dont think the Dossiers is that important for now, so your decision to leave it in low priority is correct IMHO

I hope the Goblins are in the clear cut group, really liked their story set up and models

Reactions: Hordragg

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
It's called shilling game news and it's expected :D. You feed the hype train, fans get hyped, some throw money into the furnace to make it go choo choo, and the cycle repeats until you're either ran over by the train, it fizzles out, or you blitz the thing until it's finished.

View attachment 1278787
YASS SUPLEXING THE PHANTOM TRAIN!

We need a FF6R of the same caliber as FF7R.

Those poll results surprise me a bit (dont remember seeing the new characters options in the poll) but i understand them. I mean, we have been introduced to several characters already, some of them that have had close to no interactions with the MC (Orc for example, but there are more).

With the lewd scenes, i know that in my case i selected to make sure there arent releases with no lewd scenes (like some devs have) because it wont fit the game, but not because the frequency needs to be increased (i think the frequency up untill now is good).

I dont think the Dossiers is that important for now, so your decision to leave it in low priority is correct IMHO

I hope the Goblins are in the clear cut group, really liked their story set up and models
The goblins are so popular that I'm considering making a third one with a wildly different personality.

juan palote

Engaged Member
Dec 5, 2017
YASS SUPLEXING THE PHANTOM TRAIN!

We need a FF6R of the same caliber as FF7R.

The goblins are so popular that I'm considering making a third one with a wildly different personality.
I love the goblins, but i think you have so many cool ideas in the banner of the itch.io site and some others that were suggested here that i wouldnt introduce another goblin.

Too many could ruin it.

• Haha
Reactions: jadih96207
4.50 star(s) 32 Votes