BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Absolutely. Nook and Tilai are two of the most popular characters, and I'm of the mind of giving the people what they want :p
Next build will have dedicated scenes with both of them.
Sounds good to me, they are two LIs that I like.

The only thing, that if it's a lesbian scene again, I'd rather be able to skip it: I don't care that this scene happens, but I'd rather use an option to skip it than use the CTRL key for it.

Reactions: battali0n

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Sounds good to me, they are two LIs that I like.

The only thing, that if it's a lesbian scene again, I'd rather be able to skip it: I don't care that this scene happens, but I'd rather use an option to skip it than use the CTRL key for it.
Nope. No worries on that front!
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Kionashi

Jul 11, 2021
Absolutely. Nook and Tilai are two of the most popular characters, and I'm of the mind of giving the people what they want :p
Next build will have dedicated scenes with both of them.
that's kinda unfair since we haven't had the opportunity to interact too much with the other (non human) girls yet, I have high hopes for the orc girl :love:

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
that's kinda unfair since we haven't had the opportunity to interact too much with the other (non human) girls yet, I have high hopes for the orc girl :love:
Don't worry. We're getting there. Rukah requires a special kind of slow burn, as shy characters aren't going to be nearly as easy to romance as some of the more outgoing ones. Her especially, because of a particular hangup she has. But trust me, the wait will be worth it. Her story is especially emotional, and I hope it will be satisfying to the reader/player.

• Love
Reactions: Kionashi

Kionashi

Jul 11, 2021
Don't worry. We're getting there. Rukah requires a special kind of slow burn, as shy characters aren't going to be nearly as easy to romance as some of the more outgoing ones. Her especially, because of a particular hangup she has. But trust me, the wait will be worth it. Her story is especially emotional, and I hope it will be satisfying to the reader/player.
slow burn is the best burn.... :giggle:

Reactions: Hordragg

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Personally, I really like games with romance, and I don't mind that it takes time. A slow burn is good for my tastes

On the other hand, although I don't like the headmistress (she seems like a nasty witch to me), I'm with the MC in helping her: For now I'm not interested in a romance with her, but I think that solving the case or at least trying is the right thing to do.

For now, except for the ones indicated in my other posts, I'm interested in the stories of all the LIs. Although I cannot say that I'm romantically interested in those same LIs: Lesbian LI and headmistress don't attract me romantically.

Reactions: battali0n and Weyrd

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
I'm VERY much a fan of the Slow Burn style EVNs. In playing a few others, I kind of realized my mistake in throwing the Harpy scene in so early; I was doing it for tempo, for worry that if there wasn't an easy H-scene somewhere near the beginning, players would get bored of the non-H content and drop the game.

Now I'm seeing that it's very much the other way around.

Lesbian LI and headmistress don't attract me romantically.
And that's perfectly fine. Chiara isn't an option for the player. Ms. Clements may be a bit out of your tastes. But there are people out there who liked both of them, who wanted to see both of them in lewd scenes, and who, like you, were still interested in their stories. My philosophy was to try to have something for everyone. And that means that there will be such a variety that you as the player will kind of get to pick and choose with some of the more extreme options. Ms. Clements will be a big challenge because I want to try something different. She's a story character, so you are going to be going through her story, but I want the player to have the option to decline the sex scenes canonically.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
I'm VERY much a fan of the Slow Burn style EVNs. In playing a few others, I kind of realized my mistake in throwing the Harpy scene in so early; I was doing it for tempo, for worry that if there wasn't an easy H-scene somewhere near the beginning, players would get bored of the non-H content and drop the game.

Now I'm seeing that it's very much the other way around.
The problem with the harpy scene is more her fetish than the fact that it is a sex scene, I think. For those who don't like it, that scene feels a bit frustrating even if you don't see it.

And that's perfectly fine. Chiara isn't an option for the player. Ms. Clements may be a bit out of your tastes. But there are people out there who liked both of them, who wanted to see both of them in lewd scenes, and who, like you, were still interested in their stories. My philosophy was to try to have something for everyone. And that means that there will be such a variety that you as the player will kind of get to pick and choose with some of the more extreme options. Ms. Clements will be a big challenge because I want to try something different. She's a story character, so you are going to be going through her story, but I want the player to have the option to decline the sex scenes canonically.
Lesbian sex scenes bore me or I don't like them (it depends on the scene and the fetishes it includes). In any case I prefer if I don't have the obligation to see them: Helping Chiara seems interesting to me, but I prefer not to see her lesbian scenes (making for example that the MC doesn't have to spy on the scene or can leave for any reason)

What I don't particularly like is the personality of Ms Clements. Helping her seems fine to me, but I have no particular interest in the MC establishing a romantic relationship with her.

Depending on LI's fetish, possibly it's best if decline means that the sex scene doesn't happen.

Reactions: battali0n

I am Gone

Jun 10, 2020
Progress Report, Stardate 41153.7 (IDFK)
» Devlog

5 hours ago by

FeM0Fp_result.jpg

Hello, all! Wow, I'm inconsistent with these posts lol

So! What's been happening? Well, Thursday is done and I have been POWERING through Friday's scenes. I'm currently stuck on a staff meeting scene. It has so many characters that I can't use my laptop at work to work on posing lol. I have to use my desktop PC at home.

KCoRNj_result.jpg

I had some extra space on Friday, and the Patreon supporters voted to have an extra story development scene for an existing character. So look forward to that! Chapter 5 update will also feature the arrival of several new characters, adding to the existing roster.

TpSltf_result.jpg

Saturday and Sunday are gonna be fantastic. They may be a little short, but I guarantee you the H-scenes will be worth it.

Z78sxC_result.jpg

I've also been working with our Creator Tier Patrons, and I will have some brand new, adorable characters to unveil soon!

Lastly, when Chapter 5 hits, I'm dumping Mega and using Itch's native upload system . That way you'll be able to download from Itch directly instead of going to Mega and suffering through either their long, slow downloads and attempts to get you to buy their product.

aRaiui_result.jpg
Lastly, I'm working on a way to make a package of high quality renders of some of the girls for the Patrons to keep as a special thanks. Still brainstorming. But it's on the way!

Thank you all for your support! Let's hope for WCA Chapter 5 before end of October!​

I am Gone

Jun 10, 2020
Progress Report: Visual Addendum
» Devlog

8 hours ago by
"Wait a sec. Didn't this idiot just publish a progress report yesterday?"

Why yes, yes I did. Thank you for noticing.

"Then why the f—"

You know, if you'd shut up for like 5 seconds, I could tell you.

"..."

Ehem.

So yes, I published that progress report yesterday, but I've gotten some mixed responses. A lot of people were hoping the second build would be out by now, but due to all the life events (disasters) taking place recently, that hasn't been possible. One piece of feedback in particular caught my attention:

"It would be nice if devs would SHOW us where the game is at rather than just giving vague 'It'll be done soonTM' updates."

So you know what? Fuggit. I can do that.

nokjXp.png

Now, obviously the details are redacted so as not to spoil. The "Now that that's done..." line ends on line 1423 of my Additions to Chapter 5 file. And if you can count correctly, you'll see that I'm exactly 12 scenes away from being able to post this build.

To explain a bit, my workflow is thus:

1. Plan the scene
    1. Give the scene a title, define a general idea of what happens in the scene​
  2. Shoot the scene
    1. Pose models, correct lighting issues, and take screenshots​
  3. Convert files
    1. Convert all PNG screenshots to WEBP format​
    2. Bulk rename and replace file extension with PNG again​
  4. Add files to Ren'Py project
    1. Move files to proper location​
    2. Reference each image in proper imgrefs file​
  5. Write the scene
    1. Write dialogue and add images​
  6. Score the scene
    1. Add music and sounds where appropriate​
  7. Bugtest the scene
    1. Play through the scene myself and make sure everything works​

Now, I originally wanted to hire someone to help me with the coding part. But honestly, there's really no way to split this workload with anyone. I know how I want the models posed. I know how I want the dialogue written. Converting the files and making the image references takes like 5 minutes. There's really no room for another person to work on the main content of the project without me hovering over their shoulder.

But alas, I'm also new to Ren'Py and game development in general, so these things are taking me quite a while. As always, I appreciate your patience. I hope I can power through 12 scenes and bring the second full build of World's Crossing Academy to Patrons by the end of October.

That's the goal, anyway. Hope you appreciated this more technical, behind-the-scenes version of the progress report.

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Sigh.

1634541281091.png

Please tell me this is fixable... I had over 1500 lines of code in this file and now somehow it's 300 and what looks to be corrupt.

If not, I just lost the majority of the second build and will have to script and score it all over again.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: cuckoo4cocoapuffs
Jan 7, 2021
Sigh.

View attachment 1457711

Please tell me this is fixable... I had over 1500 lines of code in this file and now somehow it's 300 and what looks to be corrupt.

If not, I just lost the majority of the second build and will have to script and score it all over again.
Did it actually "write" that to the file or is it just opened in the editor when that happen?
If you saved the work often I would see if the actual file is good before going with all hope is lost... You use Atom right? I've seen Notepad++ do this when I was working on big text files with special characters.

Were you checking how it ran in Ren'Py every so often? If you didn't start the game up or recompile the scripts then there might be something to recover from rpyc file. It can be decompiled for most of the real work but comments will be lost.

Atom does have a local history plugin but that might be too late

If it's in working memory you could try Undo, though I would copy anything useful into WinMerge to see if it actually brought anything back from the dead.

Not sure if anyone has better advice, sorry to hear about it. Good Luck

Hordragg

Lesser-Known Mesmer
Donor
Compressor
Apr 2, 2019
Did it actually "write" that to the file or is it just opened in the editor when that happen?
If you saved the work often I would see if the actual file is good before going with all hope is lost... You use Atom right? I've seen Notepad++ do this when I was working on big text files with special characters.

Were you checking how it ran in Ren'Py every so often? If you didn't start the game up or recompile the scripts then there might be something to recover from rpyc file. It can be decompiled for most of the real work but comments will be lost.

Atom does have a local history plugin but that might be too late

If it's in working memory you could try Undo, though I would copy anything useful into WinMerge to see if it actually brought anything back from the dead.

Not sure if anyone has better advice, sorry to hear about it. Good Luck
I fear there's nothing left to add. Other than setting up periodic backups and/or a source code repository to guard against future disasters. :(

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
I found backups for the files in my %APPDATA% folder. The ones on my laptop for the two corrupted files are from back in August for some reason. The last machine I made any changes on was my pc at home. I'm hoping there's a more recent backup of them on that machine.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
I found backups for the files in my %APPDATA% folder. The ones on my laptop for the two corrupted files are from back in August for some reason. The last machine I made any changes on was my pc at home. I'm hoping there's a more recent backup of them on that machine.
Hope you can fix it.

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
Same. Previously, I had everything up to the beginning of Saturday done. With the August backups, I'll have to do the entirety of Friday over, and the last scene and H-scene on Thursday. I'm down a total of... 7 or 8 scenes. Fingers crossed. I'll know in about 2 hours.

Reactions: cuckoo4cocoapuffs
4.50 star(s) 32 Votes