Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
screenshot0001.png
It's just so dark, like the only light is coming from a single window in the corner and it's dusk. It's a library, there should be lights everywhere on the ceiling.
screenshot0002.png
This is better but it's like there a single light in the room and it's in the very corner behind Chiara. Assuming Aurum is in the centre or the room it should be right above him or there should be a light in each corner of the room. Real human buildings aren't lit this way.

I know this probably comes across as a really petty gripe but it just keeps coming up for me, it's either really dark, washed out like an overcast day or the lights are unrealistically laid out. If some scenes were lit well and others weren't it'd be thematic and indicative of the differences the time of day makes but it's all rather consistently lit and that consistency is bland. I'm enjoying this game but i really hope the dev improves in this one area as development continues.

Last edited:
Reactions: hofom77573

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
View attachment 2053348
It's just so dark, like the only light is coming from a single window in the corner and it's dusk. It's a library, there should be lights everywhere on the ceiling.
View attachment 2053354
This is better but it's like there a single light in the room and it's in the very corner behind Chiara. Assuming Aurum is in the centre or the room it should be right above him or there should be a light in each corner of the room. Real human buildings aren't lit this way.

I know this probably comes across as a really petty gripe but it just keeps coming up for me, it's either really dark, washed out like an overcast day or the lights are unrealistically laid out. If some scenes were lit well and others weren't it'd be thematic and indicative of the differences the time of day makes but it's all rather consistently lit and that consistency is bland. I'm enjoying this game but i really hope the dev improves in this one area as development continues.
From what I remember, that scene takes place in a room inside the library that isn't in use, so it is posibly that it doesn't have all the lights on (to give one explanation). Otherwise, it's not like I've really put much thought into where the lights are coming from, unless it's obviously weird. They're good enough for me that I don't really care if the scene is more or less dark that it should be or if the light should be more or less centered or off center.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
From what I remember, that scene takes place in a room inside the library that isn't in use, so it is posibly that it doesn't have all the lights on (to give one explanation). Otherwise, it's not like I've really put much thought into where the lights are coming from, unless it's obviously weird. They're good enough for me that I don't really care if the scene is more or less dark that it should be or if the light should be more or less centered or off center.
It's just one example i threw up, the whole library is lit the same, as are many other places that should and would be far more well lit in real life.

I'm trying not to go off on you but what exactly can one say in a civil way to "well it's not a problem for me"? Cool story bro? Lucky you? Wish it was as easy as that for me? If you don't care then why are you replying? You'll notice i didn't quote you, the comment was aimed at the thread/dev/community, not you specifically. Good for you my problem is not your problem, have a great day.

GraveXMachina

Jun 9, 2020
View attachment 2053348
View attachment 2053354

Maybe just a problem with the engine itself
I've seen a few other games where devs struggle with the lighting.

Sometimes if you make it too bright, it can make everything look washed out.

Reactions: Bingoogus

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
P.S.: Love how everyone just assumes Nook is "trapped" or "captured" lol
That's kinda your fault. The last we saw of her she was being captured, and then she vanished from the story, most likely due to the....cat girl? Those looked like cat ears. Might have been fox ears.
So as far as we know, she's captured. I doubt you killed her off, after all. Because if so you killed off the princess as she slowly starves to death from the way you set it so that Nook is the only one that can open her gate/door/portal.

Anyways. Can you explain how Jack still has a job? You have a manhating principal that wouyld instantly fire or have him arrested for the crap he's doing to the girls. She knows he's worthless. How does he still work there?
The only thing I can think of is family in high places so she can't get rid of him. Janitors aren't exactly hard to replace. Crappy janitors that do less than half their jobs wouldn't have jobs.
You seem to try for as much realism as you can get in a fantasy game. But Jack makes zero sense unless you're just keeping him to be 'scumbag to make the mc look better'. Which wouldn't fit in with the story setup.

Last edited:

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
View attachment 2053348
View attachment 2053354

So a bit of an explanation here: I don't actually create the maps. They come bundled in with the StudioNEO program that ScrewThisNoise includes in his BetterRepack versions of IllusionSoft games such as HoneySelect 2 and the game I use, Ai Shoujo.

That being said, I do have the options to increase the "Cam light" intensity, which is a light that emanates from the camera's position. I learned to turn off cam light shadows, which was one of the major issues when I was still learning lighting. I HAVE heard a couple of complaints about dark scenes, but I wonder if my monitor's brightness settings have anything to do with me not realizing how dark it is for some people. I wonder if I might be able to include a brightness setting in the Options menu somehow. I'll have to look up how to do that on Ren'Py, if it's possible.

Just as a test, I have a very dark scene coming up in the next update. Story-wise, it made sense for the scene to be dark, as it takes place in a VERY dimly lit basement. For me, I can see everything in the scene. Do you have any difficulty?

b3embeach (67).png

That's kinda your fault. The last we saw of her she was being captured, and then she vanished from the story, most likely due to the....cat girl? Those looked like cat ears. Might have been fox ears.
So as far as we know, she's captured. I doubt you killed her off, after all. Because if so you killed off the princess as she slowly starves to death from the way you set it so that Nook is the only one that can open her gate/door/portal.

Anyways. Can you explain how Jack still has a job? You have a manhating principal that wouyld instantly fire or have him arrested for the crap he's doing to the girls. She knows he's worthless. How does he still work there?
The only thing I can think of is family in high places so she can't get rid of him. Janitors aren't exactly hard to replace. Crappy janitors that do less than half their jobs wouldn't have jobs.
You seem to try for as much realism as you can get in a fantasy game. But Jack makes zero sense unless you're just keeping him to be 'scumbag to make the mc look better'. Which wouldn't fit in with the story setup.
You'll get your explanation on Nook in the next update, which I hope to have out soon :p

As far as Jack goes, I suppose this is what I like to call the DM's Folly. I write things with the knowledge I have, but sometimes I forget that the players/readers do not have that knowledge. I didn't realize how unnecessary he might look from the viewpoint of the consumer, so I suppose that's a huge sign that I need to expose his background a bit, give you more information about him. Sadly this won't be in the next update, as the story is already finalized. But I appreciate your input and perspective.

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
As far as Jack goes, I suppose this is what I like to call the DM's Folly. I write things with the knowledge I have, but sometimes I forget that the players/readers do not have that knowledge. I didn't realize how unnecessary he might look from the viewpoint of the consumer, so I suppose that's a huge sign that I need to expose his background a bit, give you more information about him. Sadly this won't be in the next update, as the story is already finalized. But I appreciate your input and perspective.
So you're saying there IS a reason why the manhater can't just toss him out? A reason powerful enough that the powers that be behind the multiversal college won't remove him after constant sexual harrassment violations? Even after the mess before the story where several worlds closed their borders to humans solely because of sexual harrassment?
His daddy must be President, or something. Of the world.

Bingoogus

Engaged Member
Sep 5, 2021
Just as a test, I have a very dark scene coming up in the next update. Story-wise, it made sense for the scene to be dark, as it takes place in a VERY dimly lit basement. For me, I can see everything in the scene. Do you have any difficulty?
Looks to me about the same as you describe it, whilst i can't claim to see 'everything' in the scene as i do not know what i ought to be able to see, i can see what i can see well enough.

As for your screen/my screen having differing brightness, all i can say to that is i do not have this problem with any other renpy game using honeyselect or its derivatives. Nor do i observe any lighting deficiencies when i googled ai shoujo and look at the images. I have no real idea why your game is so dark, i've made some guesses but i'm very much outside of my area of knowledge so if this is something you want to do anything about you'll have to find someone who knows a fuckton more than i do.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
So a bit of an explanation here: I don't actually create the maps. They come bundled in with the StudioNEO program that ScrewThisNoise includes in his BetterRepack versions of IllusionSoft games such as HoneySelect 2 and the game I use, Ai Shoujo.

That being said, I do have the options to increase the "Cam light" intensity, which is a light that emanates from the camera's position. I learned to turn off cam light shadows, which was one of the major issues when I was still learning lighting. I HAVE heard a couple of complaints about dark scenes, but I wonder if my monitor's brightness settings have anything to do with me not realizing how dark it is for some people. I wonder if I might be able to include a brightness setting in the Options menu somehow. I'll have to look up how to do that on Ren'Py, if it's possible.

View attachment 2058307

You'll get your explanation on Nook in the next update, which I hope to have out soon :p

I know nothing about HS or any of those programs, but what I do in Daz is overexpose the scene beyond what I want it to look like and then take it into GIMP and mess with the exposure settings to bring it down to the level I want. Much more control that way. Daz renders WAY better with more light than low light. I get better overall final images with less grain and more detail.

Example:
(some scene studies for a game I'm working on)

Original Render

FairyHouse01.png

Exposure compensated

FairyHouse01A.png

Original Render

MCMoon01-01B.png

Exposure compensated (had to composite a layer for the stars I'd left out in the original also)

McMoon.png

Each correction takes me anywhere from 30 seconds to move a slider and save it, to hours and hours of experimentation, layer compositing, multi-layer opacity blending....... yeah, it's easy to get caught up in experimenting. For the most part its a minute or two to change exposure, sometimes color saturation or hue and save it out.

Your mileage may vary :LOL:

VictorSeven

Game Developer
Oct 14, 2019
I know nothing about HS or any of those programs, but what I do in Daz is overexpose the scene beyond what I want it to look like and then take it into GIMP and mess with the exposure settings to bring it down to the level I want. Much more control that way. Daz renders WAY better with more light than low light. I get better overall final images with less grain and more detail.

Example:
(some scene studies for a game I'm working on)

Original Render

View attachment 2058495

Exposure compensated

View attachment 2058497

Original Render

View attachment 2058498

Exposure compensated (had to composite a layer for the stars I'd left out in the original also)

View attachment 2058500

Each correction takes me anywhere from 30 seconds to move a slider and save it, to hours and hours of experimentation, layer compositing, multi-layer opacity blending....... yeah, it's easy to get caught up in experimenting. For the most part its a minute or two to change exposure, sometimes color saturation or hue and save it out.

Your mileage may vary :LOL:
Ohh my dude if I did that for each image of the 50 to 120 renders per scene, y'all would be reduced to getting 1 update every year. Or two years. That would add SIGNIFICANT time to the dev process.

• Haha
Reactions: HogRocket

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020
Ohh my dude if I did that for each image of the 50 to 120 renders per scene, y'all would be reduced to getting 1 update every year. Or two years. That would add SIGNIFICANT time to the dev process.
It can take a while if you're experimenting that's for sure. When your just hitting the slider the same amount each time it only takes a few seconds each. Just a thought. You have to find what works best for your work flow obviously.

Tavi13

Feb 1, 2021
Do you have any difficulty?
I think you might be right about monitor settings playing a part in it.
For me the image is a little darker than I would prefer, but I can see everything fine.....or at least I think I can. I'm viewing it on a 27" monitor though, no idea what it would look like on my laptop or tablet.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
So you're saying there IS a reason why the manhater can't just toss him out? A reason powerful enough that the powers that be behind the multiversal college won't remove him after constant sexual harrassment violations? Even after the mess before the story where several worlds closed their borders to humans solely because of sexual harrassment?
His daddy must be President, or something. Of the world.
If he is a state official, here he could not be fired, he only needs to have passed his oppositions and get the job in property and from that moment firing him is an odyssey that can only be achieved through a judicial process.

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
If he is a state official, here he could not be fired, he only needs to have passed his oppositions and get the job in property and from that moment firing him is an odyssey that can only be achieved through a judicial process.
According to the story, they were hired by the manhater (I can never remember her name) because she only hired men for 'menial' labor that was too low for women. Very feminazi, no state officials.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
According to the story, they were hired by the manhater (I can never remember her name) because she only hired men for 'menial' labor that was too low for women. Very feminazi, no state officials.
It was just an example that it isn't necessary for a person to have significant influences to be difficult to fire. You simply need a contract that makes it complicated, or the need for some reason to have that person controlled by the headmistress. Actually if the guy had the support of someone with enormous power and influence, and who would undoubtedly act against the school or the headmistress if it happens, it's quite unlikely that his job would be a janitor. But I may be wrong.

ssj782

Engaged Member
Apr 19, 2019
It was just an example that it isn't necessary for a person to have significant influences to be difficult to fire. You simply need a contract that makes it complicated, or the need for some reason to have that person controlled by the headmistress. Actually if the guy had the support of someone with enormous power and influence, and who would undoubtedly act against the school or the headmistress if it happens, it's quite unlikely that his job would be a janitor. But I may be wrong.
That's what I'm getting at. Him having a job where he does in th current situation doesn't make sense. A powerful enough backer and he shouldnt't be a janitor. But with the severe sexual issues that caused the other worlds to shut out the humans, there would absolutely be stipulations against the sexual harassment he's constantly doing, making a 'difficult contract' not an issue, either. Especially at the WCA, where they JUST got rid of another.
I'm very curious what kind of reason the dev has that will somehow explain the current impossible janitor.

Reactions: BlasKyau
4.50 star(s) 32 Votes