darlic

Feb 27, 2017
Another questionable tag for Wrestling Dynasty is the "urination" tag. While nothing sexual, there has now been two different scenes (one in Update 1 and one in the Ren'Py demo) that involves Melissa peeing in front of you. Does this count for the urination tag? I don't know exactly
As per this site's tag rules no, it doesn't count.
While we're on the subject, are you planning on putting some watersports scenes in your game or will it be about watching other people urinating (voyeurism)?

Reactions: Beerus

Beerus

Lord of Universe 7
Game Developer
Apr 27, 2019
Just finished both versions. The dev requested input (I hope I remembered that correctly), so here are my thoughts.
Hi there, thanks so much for taking the time to write all this. I'll respond to this in parts as I normally do.

The models look good. The writing about an abusive household is eerily accurate. The psychological ramifications from having grown up in such a household, obviously depending on personalities of the people involved, are realistic and relatable. The PTSD manifestations in Dani's office and the dreams MC has, are jarringly accurate. All pros as far as I'm concerned.
A lot of this is strictly from (or based on) my own personal experiences and daily life. I come from an abusive family (which started literally while I was still in the womb), and I still struggle greatly with a lot of PTSD, hallucinations, and more. Wrestling Dynasty has allowed me a way to communicate and deal with these things, and it's extremely relieving to hear this. If my storytelling has been relatable and helps you or anyone else in any way with similar feelings, emotions, and thoughts... then it's truly more satisfying to me than if I had 1,000 Patrons. Thank you for saying this.

The only cons that I have are the ringside commentary by Dani (complete and total cringe, hopefully that was the effect the dev was going for), and lack of mention whether her daughter saw the bandages around Melissa's head in the bathroom or not. Due to her reaction, I made the assumption that she didn't notice the bandages. That assumption made the scene go better in my mind.
I assume you mean the ringside commentary by Serena, in which case, yes it was deliberate. I don't know how well versed you are in not only wrestling but the history of wrestling, but I'll try to explain as briefly as I can: I grew up during the Attitude Era of the WWE (late 90s, basically, I was born in '87). The Attitude Era remains the most popular and beloved era of wrestling, and it's almost universally agreed upon. Something—or rather, someone—that was a big focus during the Attitude Era was Jerry Lawler, who did color commentary. Lawler was notorious for his "always horny" commentary. So, the reason for Serena's commentary is twofold:
  1. To invoke the classic Jerry Lawler-style commentary from the Attitude Era.
  2. Since I do not intend to go the route of "sex wrestling" and with it being a slow burn story, it made sense to me to add this kind of commentary, considering the reason we're all here and playing this game.

As far as whether Serena SAW the bandages, I know it doesn't specifically confirm one way or the other, but in my mind, she most likely did not notice them (bathroom lighting, Melissa's hair in the way, etc). I also imagine she was quite surprised to see a male in the female's restroom most of all, so her focus was on MC. Though, the MC did try at first to explain what was going on:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I worry for Serena's commentary whenever she calls the MC's matches :ROFLMAO:

The secrets are the last con I can think of. Looking for secrets during storytelling took me out of the story and made it feel disjointed. If the dev continues to imbed secrets during the Renpy version, it should be announced that they A) exist, B) will NEVER happen during dialogue, and C) be large enough to notice and click on. IMO, this would be optimal so that the player can completely focus on the story unfolding and not break immersion.

A lot of these are subjective opinions and others are likely to disagree. Some are objective truths that I think should be recognized so the dev knows that people notice these things. No matter what, I hope these thoughts help the dev in the future!
I agree that I dropped the ball on the "secrets" mechanic in Update 1. My only reasoning is that I'm a brand new dev who barely has any idea what I'm doing, and I tried something I probably shouldn't have, in hindsight. I got it wrong and I messed it up.

Secrets will NOT work in Ren'Py as they did in Twine, and that's if there's any secrets at all in the Ren'Py version. It's something that if I want to do again in Ren'Py, I need to take a lot more time figuring out what does and doesn't work. I can confidently say that if Ren'Py has secrets, it will NOT be in the dialogue, but rather, clicking objects/things in the scene itself, like how many other games do this mechanic.

Immersion is possibly the most important thing to me and anything that breaks that is something I need to look at and consider.

A lot of these are subjective opinions and others are likely to disagree. Some are objective truths that I think should be recognized so the dev knows that people notice these things. No matter what, I hope these thoughts help the dev in the future!
Again, I thank you for writing this. I hope you come back for the big release of Update 2 and share more of your thoughts!

As per this site's tag rules no, it doesn't count.
While we're on the subject, are you planning on putting some watersports scenes in your game or will it be about watching other people urinating (voyeurism)?
There will absolutely, definitely be watersports scenes, though these will be optional.

4.80 star(s) 5 Votes