smith66

Aug 24, 2017
Hello, this happened to me when I wanted to load the data, is it normal for it to happen? Is there a way to avoid it?
I've played this game for awhile and I've never seen that even when loading saves from a previous version. Is the save from a few versions past or did it use mods?

MonstruodellagoJess

Jul 19, 2022
I've played this game for awhile and I've never seen that even when loading saves from a previous version. Is the save from a few versions past or did it use mods?
new game, I tried mods for a long time but I always delete the folder to install the new one... aren't old mods deleted like this?

Bif

Nov 18, 2017
Started the game and it never autosaved even after day 5, only 2 save slots ever worked at all, and now neither of them will save anything either.

Pamphlet

Aug 5, 2020
l1lym, Sorry to be a pain but, could you add a line to the telling people to copy across the updated Harlowe files from the repository?

It's not a nightmare to work out if someone's as bad a programmer as I am - I know error messages - but it could trip up a lot of new gamers.

Last edited:

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
Does anyone know if I can make it so that, when I am a woman and I am pregnant, I can marry the father or something like that?
Since this game and mods tries to turn the MC into free use slut, i do not see it in the possible future development any time soon.

Yuki-x

Jul 22, 2021
@
Thanks. I have now used your save file to fix the issue so it will patch the skill into old saves. Fix will be out with 0.21.1
You may want also to review/check the passagesdata with names:
name="hidden achievements score multiplier"
and
name="score multiplier calc"

it seems that they conflict with each other
Code:
(set:$score_multiplier to $score_multiplier + _hidden_ach_bonus)
Instead for adding a bonus to the $score_multiplier it gives a lower value
eg instead of 1.26 + whatever the bonus should be
x1.PNG
it gives 1.01
x2.PNG

ps the only thing that I moded in the html is the line
Code:
(set: _level_cap_adjustment to $stats_unobtainable * 0.03)
which I set to
Code:
(set: _level_cap_adjustment to $stats_unobtainable * (1 / 3))
and happens after the first achievement is unlocked

• Haha
Reactions: Smallfrie

l1lym

Aphrodite, creator of X-Change Life™
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2019
@

You may want also to review/check the passagesdata with names:
name="hidden achievements score multiplier"
and
name="score multiplier calc"

it seems that they conflict with each other
Hi, I will do my best to explain what you are experiencing and the key points of the base game system:

The XP multiplier system is designed to balance gameplay and provide subtle advantages for different character builds.

1. Base Multiplier Calculation:
The base multiplier uses a logarithmic function based on total stats:

Code:
(set: _score_multiplier_temp to _a + _b * (log: $total_stats - _c))
This ensures that as your total stats increase, the multiplier changes at a decreasing rate, preventing exponential growth.

2. Level Cap Adjustment:
The 3% adjustment per unobtainable stat point compensates for self-imposed limitations:

Code:
(set: _level_cap_adjustment to $stats_unobtainable * 0.03)
(set: $score_multiplier to (round: (100 * $score_multiplier * (1 + _level_cap_adjustment))) / 100)
This is multiplicative, not additive. In your first screenshot, with a total of 11 stats and a max of 10 per stat, you have 19 unobtainable points (30 - 11). This results in a 57% increase (19 * 3%), explaining the 1.26x multiplier.

3. Hidden Achievements Bonus:
This bonus is applied separately and additively:

Code:
(set:_hidden_ach_bonus to $hidden_achievement_count * 0.03)
(set:$score_multiplier to $score_multiplier + _hidden_ach_bonus)

This bonus is applied after the level cap adjustment, which is why you might not see it directly reflected in the numbers you mentioned.

The reason your modification (changing 0.03 to 1/3 - 3% to 33%) resulted in a lower multiplier is that it drastically increased the level cap adjustment, which interacts with the logarithmic base calculation

The system aims to reward self-imposed limitations while still allowing players free to choose various stat setups. If you find it too grindy, modding is definitely encouraged, as you know it is very easy to do. All I can do is explain why I have set it up this way in the base game, as far as I can tell things are working as intended.

ViperFood

Jul 20, 2023
I feel like the current way EXP multipliers and curves are set up is brilliant. Its hard to stay patient and avoid the game between updates because its already so good.

Smallfrie

Dec 25, 2018
I feel like the current way EXP multipliers and curves are set up is brilliant. Its hard to stay patient and avoid the game between updates because its already so good.
Its working as intended...from the start and that is an example to others to not delay the process(cause most do and degrade their own game over time)
Yuki-x is a self confident new coder who forgot that coding is in service of the logic and intended end result. Not the other way.

l1lym

Aphrodite, creator of X-Change Life™
Game Developer
Jan 21, 2019
Well I can definitely see how the system can be confusing but as far as I can tell it is working as it is intended to. I have had issues in the past where the score multiplier doesn't always display properly on the menu screens so there's always a chance of that too, but yeah.

4.60 star(s) 94 Votes