Yiff.Party is Going down, Can anyone start development of an alternative?

poko natisho

Nov 23, 2020
If i may ask, how long would it take for a regular diplomatic programmer to set the site up with all of its button commands working as needed?

Shinra33459

Jul 13, 2019
In my personal opinion, hosting this sort of thing on Discord is going to go down in flames rather quickly. Discord works with Patreon for one, and Discord has already nuked entire Discord servers for way less than piracy. We need to make a dedicated website, as it's a lot harder to get it removed, where as an artist can squeal to the Discord admins and the server is gone. Just my 2¢

ThrowawayTestTrash

Nov 18, 2020
Admittedly, I'm new to the site, so I could've missed something. Is there a place on here where we could request certain artists' Patreon collections since yiff.party has gone down? I understand there's a forum for comics and animation requests, but since some patreons don't fit those requirements, it might not work for it.

suomynonAx

Nov 24, 2020
If i may ask, how long would it take for a regular diplomatic programmer to set the site up with all of its button commands working as needed?
It would be pretty quick and easy to get a basic site going. The hardest part would be developing patreon/fanbox/etc site scrapers. To answer your question, this whole thing could probably be set up in under a day, not counting the hardware side of it.

A comment above said the entire archive took up only 30TB, which isn't really that much if self-hosting, because harddrive prices have fallen dramatically.

But if the site uses cloud-based storage, 30TB would be a very very expensive monthly cost. It would also require hefty bandwidth to support all the image loading requests from thousands of people a day.

If I were to make this, I would go for a torrent-based site. Could have a few preview pictures per artist, and have the rest of their content in a torrent file where there is no bandwidth needed for the site host, thus the site saves a ton of money and would be blazing fast. I think this is where yiff party failed, they had so much content, all self-hosted, so it bogged down the site so bad that sometimes we couldn't even browse it.

If it was not a torrent-based site, I would set up a way to require every user to contribute at least 1 artist's content in order to unlock the rest of the site to download/browse content. That way the site has content to share, and it would dramatically cut down on the amount of leechers who use up all the bandwidth for free.

---
Long ass edit:
Not sure if it was clear, but my idea for the paywalled version was just for if the site hosted all of the content itself. Buying 30TB of cloud storage is not cheap, even with a fuckton of ads out of the ass. So obviously the other version that's free and doesn't host any content itself is the ideal version.

As for a "torrent-based site", I meant similar to how sites like thepiratebay work, where seeders have the content, and leechers can download it from them for free. So the site would just basically be an index for these torrent hashes without having to store any content itself, again similar to how thepiratebay is. niginigi's reply to this below is excellent in further expanding on this idea, using IPFS and storing hashes.
It would be future-proof, because if there was a lawsuit against the site, the site owner can simply claim that he doesnt host ANY content at all, therefore is not liable. If the site did go down, whoever kept lists of hashes could still share that list and let people continue downloading anything and everything, site or no site.

(Also, important note, I hope saying something political doesn't get me banned or anything, but Trump wanted to get rid of "Section 230". Section 230 makes it so site owners aren't responsible for content that it's users post. So if Trump got rid of it, there is no way in hell I would consider making a "yiff alternative" site, I would just be living the rest of my life fighting lawsuits and losing every single one.)

Last edited:

niginigi

Nov 24, 2020
If I were to make this, I would go for a torrent-based site. Could have a few preview pictures per artist, and have the rest of their content in a torrent file where there is no bandwidth needed for the site host.

If it was not a torrent-based site, I would set up a way to require every user to contribute at least 1 artist's content in order to unlock the rest of the site to download/browse content.
I'm not sure how a torrent based website would work. Are you saying each file or post would be a seperate torrent? You can't update torrents very easily, if at all...
Using IPFS (Interplanetary File System) might be a good idea. It's peer-to-peer, distributed file system where each file has a unique hash which allows it to be located and downloaded from any computer/client which has the file pinned.

Wouldn't be too complicated either, have the server scape patreon and "pin" the files for initial seeding, publish the IPFS hashes and this allows people to download what they want. People will pin the files they want to store and seed themselves. So, it works like torrents, but doesn't have the issues around distributing and updating content for different users.

Honestly, if we are going to paywall things, I would rather just pay a nominal access fee. Like a $ a month. I don't get why this wasn't implemented on Yiff. It was like 400$ server hosting per month. If you had 400 people giving $1, which I think would have been extremely reasonable, then the site wouldn't have had problems going down every so often.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: suomynonAx

ArxenLupanh93

Feb 17, 2020
avoid paywalls at all costs. wasn't that the whole point of it all?
it'd be like no better than patron. you'd have to pay to see anything.
Sorry for English not my primary language.
I agree with you. The thought of paying a fee to see a product is no different than pantreon, it's just a cheaper price. That is different for the purpose of a yiff.party-like website.
If you have created an even better website than yiff.party you could ask for more contributions than yiff.party currently offers. The level of calling for support should be a lot in case of unexpected circumstances, like to operate the website you need $ 100 but you can raise $ 125 and it is absolutely worth it.
People who don't have money can now still see the products and come back when they have money.

Dec 29, 2018
avoid paywalls at all costs. wasn't that the whole point of it all?
it'd be like no better than patron. you'd have to pay to see anything.
Sorry for English not my primary language.
I agree with you. The thought of paying a fee to see a product is no different than pantreon, it's just a cheaper price. That is different for the purpose of a yiff.party-like website.
If you have created an even better website than yiff.party you could ask for more contributions than yiff.party currently offers. The level of calling for support should be a lot in case of unexpected circumstances, like to operate the website you need $ 100 but you can raise $ 125 and it is absolutely worth it.
People who don't have money can now still see the products and come back when they have money.
There'd have to be SOME pay though. Even yiff.party had to ask for donations every month so it could pay the web address payment.

ArxenLupanh93

Feb 17, 2020
There'd have to be SOME pay though. Even yiff.party had to ask for donations every month so it could pay the web address payment.
Of course there will still be support activities. But you cannot force users to pay a small fee to see the product. It is different from Yiff.party's criteria.
You can still raise your support voluntarily and it is possible to raise your level of support to a balance in case of bad situations. As I said above it is possible to add 25 $ or 50 $ if the site is really good.
Voluntary donations will help people who currently do not have money keep track of the products they want and will support when they have money.

eslotam

Sep 16, 2017
If its pay to access, what's the point of not going to Patreons and spending money there instead?
People don't want to pay without knowing what they're getting.
Its like those RPG JP Games on DLsite that cost 10 dollars and look real good, but end up having no/horrible animation.
If I wanted a story, I would go read a book. If I wanted rule 34 art, I would search up some fanart.
But the low effort 10-20 dollar RPG JP games have no excuse for such a high price.
Save buying like 3-6 of those and I could get myself a triple A game.
I would prefer to take a look at the site, and if satisfied, donate afterwards in order to help keep it alive.
After all, if its a haven people wont just sit and watch it die.
Otherwise, they probably WILL just sit and watch it die.

One last thing.
You know that guy you just gave that product he wanted for free last time?
The one he felt so stressed on not being able to get it because he didn't have the money?
They will join your community, and in your darkest hours they will return the favor a hundredfold.

Last edited: