Abere Lucifer Productions

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
Umm, I woke up to my rendering PC not working. I'm pretty sure my motherboard burned out somehow. I've got to order a new one. Hopefully I can get one here before I start rendering. This means you won't see any new render for a week or so. I will be still releasing the 23 Sisters update on Tuesday though. I still have access to that. Hopefully the SSD isn't messed up. I do have the vast majority of my DAZ stuff backed up on an External HDD, so that's good. I just haven't backed up since January though. Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

istockphoto-1380648750-640x640.jpg

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
Umm, I woke up to my rendering PC not working. I'm pretty sure my motherboard burned out somehow. I've got to order a new one. Hopefully I can get one here before I start rendering. This means you won't see any new render for a week or so. I will be still releasing the 23 Sisters update on Tuesday though. I still have access to that. Hopefully the SSD isn't messed up. I do have the vast majority of my DAZ stuff backed up on an External HDD, so that's good. I just haven't backed up since January though. Anyway, I'll keep you updated.

View attachment 2846738
Good luck with the recovery of your data.
Most of the time, you can get the majority of the data, and salvage most of the hardware.
Although, one time I ended up building a PC with a power supply that had later become notorious for destroying !!!EVERYTHING!!! and it did.
It had even started to catch fire.
I was not even able to salvage the memory from it.
OH, I was able to salvage the DVD drive, but that was it.

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
Good luck with the recovery of your data.
Most of the time, you can get the majority of the data, and salvage most of the hardware.
Although, one time I ended up building a PC with a power supply that had later become notorious for destroying !!!EVERYTHING!!! and it did.
It had even started to catch fire.
I was not even able to salvage the memory from it.
OH, I was able to salvage the DVD drive, but that was it.
The graphics card, PS, the RAM and even the CPU seem to be fine. They're just not getting a signal. All the fans come on and everything lights up except the monitor and and anything USB.

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
The graphics card, PS, the RAM and even the CPU seem to be fine. They're just not getting a signal. All the fans come on and everything lights up except the monitor and and anything USB.
Have you checked the CMOS battery, and tried resetting the bios, just on the off chance it is a board firmware issue.
Not a great chance on the reset, but if the battery is dead, the board won't work.
Anything free is worth trying.

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
The BIOS won't come up. There's no signal between the tower and the monitor. The graphics card does come on though. It lights up and the fans run.

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
Unplug all the drives/DVD player and see if it comes up.
True, any defective hardware, including a single bad memory stick can cause that to happen.
So, like they said, unplug all non essentials, and leave only a single stick of ram in and try again.
If it still won't fire up, try other sticks of ram.

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
True, any defective hardware, including a single bad memory stick can cause that to happen.
So, like they said, unplug all non essentials, and leave only a single stick of ram in and try again.
If it still won't fire up, try other sticks of ram.
I didn't try the RAM. I do have two sticks of it. I'll try that.

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
Also, if you have a spare, working power supply try that also. If it loses low voltage it will act like that.
So many things...
True, there are many possibilities that could cause it to happen, but sadly, only PC shops tend to have the spare parts laying around to try swapping things out.

Doc, since you said that the graphics card comes up (I am guessing a logo on the screen appears) you would be correct about the card being good.
But I would suggest taking this opportunity, if possible, to upgrade the board and CPU, if possible.
Save yourself future downtime, and get a little better performance out of the system.
And maybe even a little more future upgradability, since a new board and CPU might even support a future faster graphics card.

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
May 31, 2017
True, there are many possibilities that could cause it to happen, but sadly, only PC shops tend to have the spare parts laying around to try swapping things out.

Doc, since you said that the graphics card comes up (I am guessing a logo on the screen appears) you would be correct about the card being good.
But I would suggest taking this opportunity, if possible, to upgrade the board and CPU, if possible.
Save yourself future downtime, and get a little better performance out of the system.
Nothing comes on screen. It's completely black. There's no power going to any USB's either.

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
Well, the fans and lights on the GC do come on. I am curious if the PS might have a problem though. We'll see. I'm gonna start looking for parts tonight.
The odds are slightly in favor of it being a motherboard issue, but when you replace the motherboard, it is always a good idea to replace the power supply, because they do eventually wear out.
And since you are doing all of that work to replace the board, if funds are available, a little upgrading can be a good thing in the long run.
And when power supplies go, you have to do damned near as much work to replace a power supply, as you do for the motherboard.
Not to mention the fact that you won't be 100% positive that it was a bad power supply when the system goes down again.
Keep the old power supply on hand, just in case, if you test it in a pizza box with the new board and it tests out good.

Eat pizza: An important first step.
Place new board with CPU, graphics and memory installed into opened pizza box.
Plug in old power supply.
Plug in monitor.
Jumper the connections on the board to start the PC.
If it fires up with the old power supply, save it for use as a backup, or test unit.
If it does not fire up, plug in the new power supply and test to make sure the other new hardware is all good.

If it fires up, you are good to go, but testing the old board with the new power supply might be a good idea, if it failed to post with the old power supply.
You might find yourself with the makings of a second work PC, or at least some tested known to be good parts for future use.

ImperialD

Devoted Member
Oct 24, 2019

View attachment 2846738
hope you get things worked out man .. i hate to hear bad news ... heard to much this year already ...... :(

3.40 star(s) 112 Votes