3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote
Apr 18, 2021
Your message is a few days old so you might have solved this already by now buuuuut....

"dark eyes" happens often when the character model is a long way from the scene origin point. it's a "limitation" (cough BUG cough) of Iray and something to do with floating point (im)precision (according to wise people in the daz official forums).

If your model is located significant distance from origin try moving everything (create a null and parent everything to it, then move the null until the character(s) are close to 0,0,0) and see if that helps.
Wow I didn't know that, thank you for the useful info!
Also I finally broke down and started editing all my textures in Photoshop since its easy to make them darker in DazStudio but not very easy to make them lighter. Fortunately everything being in common jpg format makes this simple rather than .dds

• Hey there
Reactions: osanaiko

Feb 3, 2020
What is the right way of playing with eye color? Can I do it in surface tab or it must be done with textures?

I am trying to create eyes like Alexandra Daddario's blue eyes. Do I just adjust the base color of irises in the Surface tab or should I mess with translucency and/or transmitted as well? Looking at the surface tabs it seems eyes are typically white for both base and translucency and slight grey for transmitted.

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
i beleive you can find the saved scene file (with the model saved with the skin you want to rediscover) and open/extract it because it is actually a zip with a different extension. Then the content should be human readable JSON. on here you might be able to find the paths to the images used as the textures. from there, you should be able to look at the names of the directory structure and find out the name of the creator/artist. hopefully that leads you where you need to go.
I changed the .duf to .zip and able to un zip.. There is a ton of stuf there, it will take me a while to sort through it. Thanks

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
What is the right way of playing with eye color? Can I do it in surface tab or it must be done with textures?

I am trying to create eyes like Alexandra Daddario's blue eyes. Do I just adjust the base color of irises in the Surface tab or should I mess with translucency and/or transmitted as well? Looking at the surface tabs it seems eyes are typically white for both base and translucency and slight grey for transmitted.
The color settings which can be applied to the "Base" bitmap textures in the Daz shaders are applied (that is "multiplied by") on top of the colors in the bitmap itself. So at best you can adjust the "tint" of the all pixels in the texture image towards your selected color. So the "whites" of the eye will also be modified towards the blue color. Which is probably not what you want!

The correct way to get a specific eye color in your render is to use a texture image that has that color already. and leave the shader color setting at pure white.

If the model/character you have chosen does not already have an alternate eye texture with the color you want, look around the asset collections and you will find some eye texture packs.

Alternatively, you could use an image editor (photoshop etc) and make a copy of an existing eye texture from your model and then use masks etc to adjust only the iris part of the texture. and then save it, and choose that modified texture image in the Daz shader settings Base parameter.

Reactions: 31971207

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
So the "whites" of the eye will also be modified towards the blue color. Which is probably not what you want!
The whites aren't at all affected when he only edits the iris surface. The sclera is whats used for the whites (iirc).

Reactions: 31971207

3dbrah

Jun 20, 2020
I used Golden Palace on this character I made. Genesis 8. But the butthole is white on the inside. How to fix this?
Mega Milf photoshoot 2.png

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I used Golden Palace on this character I made. Genesis 8. But the butthole is white on the inside. How to fix this?
View attachment 1197369
Shit, this is serious dude. Step away from the computer and Call 911 immediately. Wait for the ambulance to arrive.

White Ring Disease is a terrible silent killer that takes the lives of 1000s of innocent thicc milfs every year.

Guss

May 26, 2018
when adding the genitals they have a grey color, how do I match the skin of the model?

Feb 3, 2020
I am trying to dip my toes into mixing skins but lots of things I don't understand in Daz.

1. When I click the new PBRSkin shader, does it just change the surface settings in the character or does it activate different shader files for the Daz engine?

2. Do textures files like diffuse, normal and bump need to be specifically made for a different shader?

3. Some PA are known for their skins like BlueJaunte. Is it a pointless exercise to start with a BlueJaunte character dial in a new shape, and replace the diffuse and normal maps (so to preserve the look from another character)?

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
I need some Guru Help... Some time back I mentioned that I am having a problem with a particular set (asset Harwood House) it seems to default to CPU Render mode only for some reason. It is driving me batshit.... I can't seem to get it to even recognize the RTX 3080 at all and Bogs down a I-9 11 Gen at 5.3Ghz to a crawl to the point that the browser even falters coming up, and Denoiser won't even run........... Any one have any ideas.. It is that asset only so far that is giving me the fits. Is there a way to take the load off the CPU and maybe force it to use the GPU....

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
I need some Guru Help... Some time back I mentioned that I am having a problem with a particular set (asset Harwood House) it seems to default to CPU Render mode only for some reason. It is driving me batshit.... I can't seem to get it to even recognize the RTX 3080 at all and Bogs down a I-9 11 Gen at 5.3Ghz to a crawl to the point that the browser even falters coming up, and Denoiser won't even run........... Any one have any ideas.. It is that asset only so far that is giving me the fits. Is there a way to take the load off the CPU and maybe force it to use the GPU....
That's funny, I was just playing around with Harwood House a couple of days ago.

I've got a 3060 and had no issues with it in the viewport in Iray mode, but didn't try an actual render yet. I'll give that a go now....
  1. freshly opened Daz, brand new scene
  2. Loaded up the "KAHH Harwood House Main"asset,
  3. Chose "Exterior Wide CAM" Camera in viewport,
  4. Enabled Iray in viewport (shouldn't affect the actual render except maybe pre-load some textures)
  5. Reset the render settings to default,
  6. changed resolution to 1600x900
  7. and Progressive Render "render quality enable" to off
  8. and Environment "Draw Dome" to ON
  9. then hit the render button.
It rendered ok with no problems on GPU. I stopped the render after 5 minutes, it was up to 1180 iterations.
harwood_house__defaul_settings__360seconds.jpg
(from task manager) GPU memory usage was 5.8GB, CUDA usage 99% and CPU about 8%.

Regards your specific question, there is no way to "force" GPU only because Daz will always fall back to CPU if something goes wrong with GPU.

So we can try and troubleshoot, lets take a look at your Daz log file (you can open it via Help menu > Troubleshooting -> View Log File).
First, find the log file and delete everything in it, then shut down daz and restart it.
Then go through the Load, Setup and Render process just for the Harwood house scene, then post the content of the log file here (as CODE block) so we can take a look.

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
Dropping to CPU rendering is almost always a result of running out of GPU VRAM. The slightly odd thing is that the Hardwood House asset doesn't seem to be particularly greedy in terms of texture memory consumption. From the looks of it, the lawn is created through mass instancing of grass. As such I am guessing that the problem is related to geometry memory consumption. Thankfully the fix in this case is very simple. Just go to Render Settings \ Editor \ Optimization \ Instancing Optimization and set it to Memory.

Note: If you can advise the Geometry / Texture consumption we will know where the issue with GPU rendering lies. Geometry can be fixed using tweak above and reducing mesh density. The Texture consumption can be resolved using Scene Optimizer to reduce the texture resolution / remove bumps etc.

Reactions: tripod70

acusrola

May 30, 2020
When using a clothing asset that I put a custom texture over (base color), then going to tiling (Horizontal and Vertical tiling) and adjusting them from the default - usually 1 - the texture usually might "glitch out." For example, one clothing asset has cutout opacity set for a fishnet-like look. When I adjust the tiling, the cuts fuck up and go all over the place.

I understand why this happens, as DAZ tiles the cutout maps (as well as normal maps, etc.) over the mesh. My question is, is there a way to restrict the tiling ONLY to the actual diffuse map/ base color in DAZ, or do I have to open an image editor and upscale the images manually?

Xavster

Game Developer
Mar 27, 2018
When using a clothing asset that I put a custom texture over (base color), then going to tiling (Horizontal and Vertical tiling) and adjusting them from the default - usually 1 - the texture usually might "glitch out." For example, one clothing asset has cutout opacity set for a fishnet-like look. When I adjust the tiling, the cuts fuck up and go all over the place.

I understand why this happens, as DAZ tiles the cutout maps (as well as normal maps, etc.) over the mesh. My question is, is there a way to restrict the tiling ONLY to the actual diffuse map/ base color in DAZ, or do I have to open an image editor and upscale the images manually?
As you are aware the vertical and horizontal tiling in the surfaces tab affects all of the surfaces. You can however separately tile individual maps within the surface by clicking on the image, selecting the Image Editor and then modifying in the Instance Tiling tab. As such you could keep the cut-outs as they were but make the weave on the cloth finer.

acusrola

May 30, 2020
As you are aware the vertical and horizontal tiling in the surfaces tab affects all of the surfaces. You can however separately tile individual maps within the surface by clicking on the image, selecting the Image Editor and then modifying in the Instance Tiling tab. As such you could keep the cut-outs as they were but make the weave on the cloth finer.
Found the setting, thanks! However, it doesn't seem to do anything? Is the effect supposed to be immediate or do I have to reapply something?

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
That's funny, I was just playing around with Harwood House a couple of days ago.

I've got a 3060 and had no issues with it in the viewport in Iray mode, but didn't try an actual render yet. I'll give that a go now....
  1. freshly opened Daz, brand new scene
  2. Loaded up the "KAHH Harwood House Main"asset,
  3. Chose "Exterior Wide CAM" Camera in viewport,
  4. Enabled Iray in viewport (shouldn't affect the actual render except maybe pre-load some textures)
  5. Reset the render settings to default,
  6. changed resolution to 1600x900
  7. and Progressive Render "render quality enable" to off
  8. and Environment "Draw Dome" to ON
  9. then hit the render button.
It rendered ok with no problems on GPU. I stopped the render after 5 minutes, it was up to 1180 iterations.
View attachment 1213371
(from task manager) GPU memory usage was 5.8GB, CUDA usage 99% and CPU about 8%.

Regards your specific question, there is no way to "force" GPU only because Daz will always fall back to CPU if something goes wrong with GPU.

So we can try and troubleshoot, lets take a look at your Daz log file (you can open it via Help menu > Troubleshooting -> View Log File).
First, find the log file and delete everything in it, then shut down daz and restart it.
Then go through the Load, Setup and Render process just for the Harwood house scene, then post the content of the log file here (as CODE block) so we can take a look.
I have a complete scene set made without actors, and bring them in as needed. I have all of the grass either hidden or deleted. I only use the exterior and inside is empty (I think) except what ever is included with the house. I did it that way to have a ready made set with cars in drive and back yard setup always the same. I had pure hell with the pool set and the ground of back yard ( had to delete two panels of yard to not have ground in the pool) On most days when using the house I have noticed that there is just over 7g loading in 5 to 700 bmp's If I could just use the walls I think that would not happen. Here is the logfile and a quick render that I just did with a fresh load of DAZ. The GPU was used this time. Disregard the collisions as I was making the scene from the side and all that is hidden of course.
In the logfile I did see a ton of Warnnings that I don't think I have seen before too.

View attachment render logfile.txt

house gpu test.jpg

Screen clip:

daz capture.PNG

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote