3D Software Help and Assistance. Ask Away.

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
It is complex to rename folders this way and indeed almost impossible. To have an asset you need to have a script that loads the assets and resources that are the actual content of the asset. For some reasons, resources must be in specific locations for DS. Morphs must be in a subdir of the "runtime" directory as they are loaded when you launch DS. Other resources (objs, textures) are generally in a subdir of the "data" directory. They could probably be located elsewhere as they are loaded on demand, but, and it is the main problem, the script that is used to load the asset must know where there are. So if you change their directory, you must also change the scripts and that is the main problem.

It is possible to create a "pussy" directory somewhere and to paste you zip in it. DS must know the location of this dir and this can be done with the "preference" menu entry. But the access of the ressources will be similar and the golden palace scripts will be in "pussy>people>genesis 8 females>anatomy>anatomy" and it is probably not what you want.

Indeed, what really is important is the location of the asset for the DS user, not its position in the windows file system, and both are uncorrelated. You can put any of the scripts at any place in the "DS hierarchy". By default, IIRC, golden palace scripts are in MyDAZLibrary>people>genesi8 females>anatomy>golden palace, while the content is probably in data>meipe>something and in a similar subdir of runtime (but you have no direct access to them from DS).

You can definitely change the locations of the scripts. So if you want to create a subdir named "pussy" and have the scripts in "MyDAZ3DLibrary>pussy>golden palace", it is definitely possible. Open the "MyDAZLibrary" folder, create the subdir and move the golden palace folder. Then RightClick>refresh in the content library and this subdir will appear in DS.

You can rearrange what you want this way if you are not happy when the default location.

Though, this is *not* something that I would advice you to do. Managing assets is a major problem in DS. Files are written in many locations and, while adding an asset with cut and paste is simple, removing it is a real nightmare. That is the reason why the install manager is very handy. It keeps track of any thing you install and makes uninstalling simple. There are some programs that can create DIM files from any zip and this largely simplify if you want to remove assets later (see for instance https://f95zone.to/threads/content-package-assist.8420/ or ).

But you must be aware that you cannot change the locations of the scripts and let them remain managed by DIM. If you move a script directory, as I suggested above, DIM will no longer be able to remove the asset properly (as it does not know its new location).

So how to manage properly assets? I have no definite answer and every user as his means. Smart content can help (a bit) if you use it, categories are interesting, but creating and managing them is time consuming, there are some assets that are supposed to help in this organization, etc. I started by rearranging data as I mentioned (for instance create a subdir of clothing with "dresses" or "lingerie", etc), but this was an error and I spent a long time undoing this organization. Now I keep the initial location and I use a text file that gathers all the information on all the assets that I own (description, location, but also a link to the original page, eventual useful forum entries on the use the assets, personal comments, etc). I am happy with that, but I am not sure it is the best way to proceed.
So it looks like I should just stick to what it is where it is :) I already screwed it up and DIM and DC wants to reinstall every thing,,, so shit here I go again reloading stuff that is already loaded. I may learn some day, but on the other hand what the hell else did I have to do this afternoon, and night.....

Feb 3, 2020
If I start with a HD G8 character that was sculpted in SubD4 and dial in morphs of another character that was sculpted only in subD2, do I lose all the details in the original SubD4 character so rendering the new mixed character in SubD4 would be pointless?

recreation

pure evil!
Respected User
Game Developer
Jun 10, 2018
If I start with a HD G8 character that was sculpted in SubD4 and dial in morphs of another character that was sculpted only in subD2, do I lose all the details in the original SubD4 character so rendering the new mixed character in SubD4 would be pointless?
SubD4 is generally pointless and nothing but hardware demanding, you won't see any difference from SubD 3-4 or 5, the difference from 2-3 is already so marginal that most people won't ever see it.
By sculpted I guess you mean using morph sliders? Cause you wouldn't be able to load a "real" sculpted char with subd4 onto a gen 8 char. This also means it won't make a difference if you morph the other char onto the it, you won't lose details, that is unless the other morph changes the same hd parts of course.

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
OK here is another question.

With the stock and really limited assets that come with DAZ the included scenes don't have extended sky or some sort of background, and if you go to far to one side or the other or back away there is black areas to the sides with no apparent fill in for sky etc; Is there a way to fix this? I am looking for different scenes to add to the library, but not finding a lot to my liking :) so far. The library is another question coming right up.....
So the two sample images you attached actually are two different scenarios:

1. the beach
This is a specific backdrop prop that is only designed to have renders looking basically directly perpendicular to the backdrop. If you rotate the camera view on the z-axis to the sides a little you'll see the shadows cast by those rocky protrusions, and further to the side you'll see the edge of the prop.
There are actually very few backdrops like this for daz, it does not seem to be very popular.

2. The pool
This is an architecture prop which only contains foreground and middleground elements. So there is nothing to reflect light into the virtual camera lens so it just looks black. (note that you can adjust the color of the nothingness)

You've got two and a half choices:

a) use a HDRI.
This projects a special type of image called a HDRI onto the inside of an infinite dome centered on the camera.
HDRI textures are different from regular raster images because they map to a full 360 sphere (normally with some distortion and loss of resolution at the north and south poles), and they generally have their brightness scaled very non-linearly.
In this case the HDRI image becomes a light producer with all "ray" of light going directly toward the camera virtual lens.
There's a lot of HDRIs available specifically from Daz vendors, and also you can theoretically use HDRIs from any other source too. The HDRI packs specifically for Daz often have one-click setup that assign everything to your render->environment settings for you.
To do this manually add a "HDRI" texture map to the render settings (Render Pane -> Environment. Enable draw dome. Set the chosen HDRI in the Environment Map image, adjust the intensity etc as desired. Use the dome orientation and rotation settings to move the dome image around to get the specific background angle you want.)

b) fill the middle and far background with other architecture props so there is no line of sight to the horizon or the sky. This works better for indoor scenes obviously. Note you will still need to put something outside and windows, doors or openings.

c) (This is the "half" because it's not a common or easy solution) place primitive plane objects behind the architecture and apply "normal" images as the Diffuse texture of the standard material. This only works if the normal image has nearly exactly the correct angle/height/focus etc to match the position and direction of view of the virtual camera. You can fudge it a bit by setting your virtual camera to have Field Of View enabled and adjust the focal settings so the far away objects are blurry.

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
Thanks osanaiko I was curious how to add a background for the scenes that I was working on. I may eventually get a hang of some of the in's and outs (notice I said A hang not THE hang :) ) I will check into the HDRI and play with them and try to figure out just how to play with the cameras and placement and the domes. I have seen the HDRI scene or back ground some where while going through the really extensive list of directories and sub's on them. DAZ isnt really all that streaght forward at all for a beginner at all :) I was just playing with what I have available for the moment. I am finding a ton of very good info and also assets here to try and play with. This is a lot of information to take in all at one time, but I will press on and keep trying to learn.
I hope that I will eventually get the hang of some of it and most likely have to rely on notes taken provided that I can remember where I put the notes :)
Thanks again

Feb 3, 2020
SubD4 is generally pointless and nothing but hardware demanding, you won't see any difference from SubD 3-4 or 5, the difference from 2-3 is already so marginal that most people won't ever see it.
By sculpted I guess you mean using morph sliders? Cause you wouldn't be able to load a "real" sculpted char with subd4 onto a gen 8 char. This also means it won't make a difference if you morph the other char onto the it, you won't lose details, that is unless the other morph changes the same hd parts of course.
I wouldn't say SubD4 is pointless. All the Daz Original HD add-on characters in G8 don't use normal textures because they were sculpted and exported into Daz in SubD4. But only vendors of HD characters on Daz's own store have access to this tool apparently. That's why Daz can sell the HD add-on separately.

This increases VRAM usage a bit but allows for much reduced rendering time and less burden on DRAM. I have a 3090 now so VRAM is not an issue anymore so I want to use HD characters that use more geometry instead of normal. Also DRAM is actually more a bottleneck for me if I ever acquire the skills needed to make huge scenes since textures consumes far more DRAM than in VRAM.

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
Some how I managed to mess up DIM as well as DC for where and if there was any assets installed into DAZ; they both wanted to install the things that were already installed including Studio, so not seeing a way around it ( having to totally reinstall every thing again ) I used DIM to install every thing again ( it is simpler and does batch processing of selected files where DC doesn't seem to handle that all very well ) However when I finished that there was a folder on the desktop ( folder not a shortcut ) named "Applications" that wasn't there before. This folder is about 45Mg in size; Can I dump this folder? I don't know what it is for or important or not..... Here are captures of them

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Some how I managed to mess up DIM as well as DC for where and if there was any assets installed into DAZ; they both wanted to install the things that were already installed including Studio, so not seeing a way around it ( having to totally reinstall every thing again ) I used DIM to install every thing again ( it is simpler and does batch processing of selected files where DC doesn't seem to handle that all very well ) However when I finished that there was a folder on the desktop ( folder not a shortcut ) named "Applications" that wasn't there before. This folder is about 45Mg in size; Can I dump this folder? I don't know what it is for or important or not..... Here are captures of them
I'm not going to pretend i understand exactly how this happened, but here's some facts:

1. That's a folder of a Postgres Database installation

2. The path "applications" suggests it thought it was installing on a Mac (?!), not Windows

3. Daz3d uses a local install of Postgress Database to hold information about the content library. It is installed automatically when the Daz program is installed. DIM will also access the database during install of packages.

On my system, the path i can see in the DIM config for "Content CMS" takes me to this directory (masked my user name and folders). I guess this is the "normal" location for Daz on windows:

1614509005609.png

I'm not sure what to advise you to fix it, but here's a few options.

- If Daz is working, you could just leave the folder where it is (as long as it doesn't annoy you too much).

- Or you could try renaming the "applications" folder temporarily, restart your computer and see if Daz still works after. if it doesn't work then.... who knows?

- or delete the applications folder and see if daz stops working. and then..... who knows?

- or delete the applications folder, uninstall daz and dim, and reinstall everything, hopefully you don't have it happen again.

Deleted member 24507

Well-Known Member Amateur Artist 3D
Donor
May 5, 2017
Hy guys any help for me?

I downloaded and followed the README on how to install, I've tried the different ways I knew how to install, but I can't access the file and apply it in the program!

Usually they appear in
ENVIRONMENT
ARCHITECTURE
(author name) product name and then select and apply, but this is not the case with this one!

all the types of houses I try to use in this format, I can't apply! other houses and scenarios that are selected in ENVIRONMENTS or PROPS I can use normally!

does anyone know how to make it work?

thanks

8mes

Aug 24, 2016
Hy guys any help for me?

I downloaded and followed the README on how to install, I've tried the different ways I knew how to install, but I can't access the file and apply it in the program!

Usually they appear in
ENVIRONMENT
ARCHITECTURE
(author name) product name and then select and apply, but this is not the case with this one!

all the types of houses I try to use in this format, I can't apply! other houses and scenarios that are selected in ENVIRONMENTS or PROPS I can use normally!

does anyone know how to make it work?

thanks
This looks like an old asset. Try looking in "Content Library" -> "Poser Formats"

Jun 7, 2020
Hello

I was wondering if there is a way to use the skin texture of a random figurine and use that skin on a completely other figurine?

I'm trying to replace the skin texture and I know that you could probably do it by hand by going in to the surfaces tab and clicking on each individual surface of the figurine, the arms for example, click on the base color map and locate the skin texture map of the figurine I would use. Then do that for the translucency also and do that for al the remaining surfaces of the figurine, but that seems quite tedious. So I was wondering if there is any other way to do it faster or maybe even instantaneously?
It's primarily because I've seen it done before in for example the figurines in the game "Milfy City" where ICSTOR uses the skin texture of a different figurine for - I believe - two different characters (Caroline and Linda).

Thanks in advance.

tripod70

Not so Well-known Member
Game Developer
Oct 23, 2020
Well SHITT !!!!!
I don't know just what happed AGAIN! I seem to just have a knack of screwing things up royal. I don't know what or how this happened. I was playing around; not messing with any settings just making scenes and having a fairly good time passing the day away. I did some good to decent renders and thought I was making a little headway on learning how some things work and go together. So far so good I thought. Well the next morning ( a day or two ago now ) I opened Studio and loaded a saved .duf and got a ton of missing files and the scene was sort of there but also just white like a blank shell the list of missing files is extensive. DAZ seems to have totally lost its pathing to where any thing is so all that I have done and made in the last couple of days is useless. Is there a way to fix this. I have been thinking of reinstalling DAZ but I read that doing a good clean install is near impossable..........

I save this

DAZ Island snip.PNG

Then on loading the .duf this.....

DAZ Missing files.PNG

Then save and restart this is what get

DAZ Island blank.PNG

Boogie

Aug 7, 2017
Hello

I was wondering if there is a way to use the skin texture of a random figurine and use that skin on a completely other figurine?

I'm trying to replace the skin texture and I know that you could probably do it by hand by going in to the surfaces tab and clicking on each individual surface of the figurine, the arms for example, click on the base color map and locate the skin texture map of the figurine I would use. Then do that for the translucency also and do that for al the remaining surfaces of the figurine, but that seems quite tedious. So I was wondering if there is any other way to do it faster or maybe even instantaneously?
It's primarily because I've seen it done before in for example the figurines in the game "Milfy City" where ICSTOR uses the skin texture of a different figurine for - I believe - two different characters (Caroline and Linda).

Thanks in advance.
Yes, this is very easy.

Ok, lets assume you are using a G8F character. Click on that figure in the scene tab to make sure it is highlighted. Then click on the Smart Content tab, then Materials - Iray - Feminine. Under Feminine you should see all the G8F characters you have installed. You can then choose the skin of any character you want for the character you have loaded in the scene tab. You can also choose any eye colour, nail polish, makeup or sometimes even tattoos from any other character.

Vaioretto

Feb 24, 2018
Hello! When i try prerender i have this result
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
But if i render same image i have problems with blouse texture
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Why im seeing this only in render result?

8mes

Aug 24, 2016
Why im seeing this only in render result?
Try raising the viewport "SubDivision level" of your character before you render. Not "Render subD Level".
I think there is some kind of bug with subdivision, smoothing and collision...

You also have an issue with the forehead. Look in the hair parameters for head size or forehead depth. If you set the viewport to smooth shaded you will see where the hair cap clips through the forehead.

Love the image.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I am sure this was answered somewhere in the past, but I am not finding it. Several Daz3D versions ago, I lost the ability to render just using my CUDA (CPU off). Before the flame bombs start going, I have an ancient GeForce GTX-760 card. If I only have CUDA turned on, it won't even start processing the image. The only way to get it to render is to run both CPU and CUDA on. Which, for my complicated set, takes about 2 hours plus to render each image. Under General, I have Allow CPU Fallback unchecked but have allow GPU detection and check GPU driver versions checked. Any suggestions on how I can get back to CUDA processing only without CPU?

5.00 star(s) 1 Vote