Lockwood

Aug 5, 2019
Quick FYI before I go on, I have no idea how to do anything with Ren'Py except for running VNs so if anything I say below is basically what you folks are and have been saying in the previous posts or I'm just plain wrong then just ignore me :D

Now concerning saves not working, what from my perspective seems to be the problem is that if the save being loaded was made from a version where Scrappys mod was used, then when attempting to load it from the latest version without the mod will cause the problems.

It seems to actually be affecting saves even from the latest version as well, based on me making saves with and without the mod and no saves working after the mod is removed.

all saves I've made from version 0.1.3(no mods) load without issue in 0.1.4(no mods)

Sancho1969

Message Maven
Modder
Donor
Jan 19, 2020
I'm hardly ever a "negative Nancy" but sigh....the writing and flow of this VN continues to be way below par imho. Your mileage may vary of course but damn...was really hoping the dev would grow as a writer. Best of luck "Agent 53X", respectfully. Practice hopefully makes perfect. Sincerest regards.

ravensoftbuns

Nov 9, 2020
Quick FYI before I go on, I have no idea how to do anything with Ren'Py except for running VNs so if anything I say below is basically what you folks are and have been saying in the previous posts or I'm just plain wrong then just ignore me :D

Now concerning saves not working, what from my perspective seems to be the problem is that if the save being loaded was made from a version where Scrappys mod was used, then when attempting to load it from the latest version without the mod will cause the problems.

It seems to actually be affecting saves even from the latest version as well, based on me making saves with and without the mod and no saves working after the mod is removed.

all saves I've made from version 0.1.3(no mods) load without issue in 0.1.4(no mods)
I agree with you, saves with no mods from 0.1.3 are working with 0.1.4 no problem.

It could be multiple reasons why it loads for some and not others, it's hard to pin down the exact reason. Most likely the dev erased the .rpycs from the last update and let the engine build them from scratch again. I don't save when the game tells me to, I roll back to right before any game tells me this, this could be why mine broke and not yours. Sometimes devs do this to help make saves compatible when they are breaking, not knowing what the actual cause of the saves breaking are. I don't have any mods in my game either.

Of the 7 saves I have, 3 loaded, only one loaded in the correct place in the game, and when I tried to fast skip ahead, the game wouldn't let me. This alone tells me the .rpycs have been changed. If you can't fast skip ahead in a game you have played before, the files "under the hood" of the engine don't recognize that you have seen those lines of dialogue before, this has to do with the .rpyc files and the "indexing" they contain in them.

If you want to know more about it, you can read this, someone else pointed this out to me when I was helping a dev out trying to figure out how his game kept breaking the saves.

I am not a renpy developer but I am a Patreon supporter to Agent 53X. I sent him DM with your article but the Patreon supporters had has this release for some people up to 2 weeks and not one has posted an issue on his Patreon site.

It could be like you are saying multiple reassons why it loads for some and not others but in many cases on this site people are quick to blame the dev for the issues when some cases are mods, some cases are not reading the install instructions and some cases are never known, but some cases are the dev.

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
I am not a renpy developer but I am a Patreon supporter to Agent 53X. I sent him DM with your article but the Patreon supporters had has this release for some people up to 2 weeks and not one has posted an issue on his Patreon site.
I understand what you are saying, just so you know I rarely use mods in my games, if I want a walkthrough I just search for one in a pdf or something like that, if there isn't one, I look at the code of the game for a walkthrough.

A lot of it has to do with where people are saving their game too. The last version I have is 0.8, and I know the numbering sequence is off, but he jump from 0.8 to 0.1.4 for some reason. He also changed some things in the code from the previous release, this is something devs should avoid at all costs if they can. From what I saw the little he did shouldn't have broken my save from last game though.

One thing he did do is pretty obvious, he changed the variable for the name of the MC from "mc_male" from the last release to "persistent.mc_male". He set this as the default for the game. This is something you should never do, redefine the variable for a character long after you have released the game, he set this from the second the game loaded up, where before it was "mc_male". If you want to change the variable of the MC like that, you should do it at the beginning of the next update, not the default or the very beginning of the game. I noticed this because after I got my game to load where I was my name was now "None", and this is why. I just had to search around and sort out why it happened, and that's when I found this.

I'm guessing he did it this way to have the MC name show up in the event replays as to whatever the player selected, beings this wasn't in the 0.8 version that I have. Even if he wanted to change them at the beginning of the game like he did, the best thing he could've done was include the following snippet of code:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This would ensure that returning players who loaded a save would have the right name, and it wouldn't affect new players either. That label only gets run when the user loads a save.

There may have been a version that came out in-between 0.8 and 1.4 that I didn't play too, if I looked in the thread and it said "no new content" I'm sure I didn't download the game. Part of making games and mods is to make sure what you do doesn't break them in the future even if someone didn't happen to play for a couple of updates. Sometimes this can't be avoided, but you should try to. I do know that when I dropped in the .rpyc of the last update I played in the game, my save loaded up without an issue, that tells me those changed since the last time I played.

I'm not blaming the dev at all, a lot of this comes from just not knowing about all the little intricacies of these games. There are more things I don't know about Ren'Py games, than the things I do know.

Reactions: MattShizzle

MattShizzle

Oct 31, 2019
It's not Ren'py that is the problem, it's the devs not understanding how important the .rpyc files are for making saves compatible. All of mine were breaking too, so I took the last .rpyc from the last update and placed it in the game folder of this update, and it loaded my save just like it should. If you want to extract the file and put it in the game folder of your game to make your save work.

You save has to be from the end of the last update though for it to work.

Been told elsewhere this isn't true. Still. Devs need to stop changing shit once it is like an hour worth of play or more in.

wurg

Modder
Apr 19, 2018
Been told elsewhere this isn't true. Still. Devs need to stop changing shit once it is like an hour worth of play or more in.

It's really easy to test it out if you don't believe me. You can do it on any Ren'Py game, for 53X you have to unpack it with Unren first. It would be a good idea to make a copy of the game to do this. You won't be able to see this if you load a save at the end of this update due to the structure of the code at the end of the update, the best way to see it break is to load a save from the end of last update, right after the sex scene with Rachel. If you don't have a save there, make one real quick before you test it out, it has to be before the MC says "finally sleep".

1. Unpack the game with Unren
2. delete archive.rpa - this still holds all the files you unpacked, will interfere with the test if you leave it in the game
3. delete the day14.rpyc file in the week02 folder
4. launch the game, it will generate a new .rpyc file automatically
5. load the save from right after you have sex with Rachel from the last update, the game will say "can't find a place to rolback"

It really is that simple to do, that's all it takes to break a save.

You can believe what you want, but it's easy to see the evidence right in front of you.

JenMistress

Engaged Member
Oct 1, 2019
Just finished Day 17.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Anyways, caught up once again with the Dev, and thank you for all this game thus far, enjoying it, and now, looking forward for Day 18.

Reactions: Max1276

Incest games fan

Jun 16, 2019
I saw some script saying that "i'm not your blood related mother" but the tag says incest in it i'm really confused

Xandoren

Oct 17, 2020
A lot of it has to do with where people are saving their game too. The last version I have is 0.8, and I know the numbering sequence is off, but he jump from 0.8 to 0.1.4 for some reason. He also changed some things in the code from the previous release, this is something devs should avoid at all costs if they can. From what I saw the little he did shouldn't have broken my save from last game though.

There has been a lot of new content added between version 008 and 014. You prob got your errors because you went from 08 to 014 this happened back in Feb for those who were downloading the updates as they came out. Here is my post from Feb 1st. My guess is that is why most of the people who got the error now, updating from a a version not 010 or newer save. But there could be other reasons to...

If you go from v008 to v010 or v012 your old saves do not work.

You start a new game under v010 or v012. The backend code was redesigned.

3.30 star(s) 77 Votes