4.50 star(s) 8 Votes

Chris2a

Jun 22, 2018
That cliffhanger...
I hated you so much at that moment... but I really liked your game so I forgive you.

Mercer7

Aug 23, 2021
So how do I progress Don't Fear The Reaper? Did the pre-req but Shadow seems entirely absent and I literally cannot progress anymore.

The_Lost_One

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2021
I'm gonna take a wild guess the event you're referring to is "What She Fears". Either you're extremely unlucky and she isn't showing up at night when you sleep OR you already did all the other events, including "A Civil Conversation". If you did, you'll have to wait until Chapter 4 for the story to continue.

There is a warning about that on the Patreon and itch.io posts and in the hint for "Putting On A Show", plus I deliberately made the numbers so it's easier to trigger. It's still possible to miss it and maybe I should've snuck in a warning somewhere in here, sorry about that.

You can always load a save before the Sparks morning visit or wait for Chapter 4.

Reactions: Mercer7

Mercer7

Aug 23, 2021
Aye, no, I haven't done all the other events. I did the events leading up to Don't Fear The Reaper but now it just says
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
and she no longer shows up at night at all.

The_Lost_One

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2021
Then you definitely finished the entire chapter, including the event "A Civil Conversation" under the MC's profile. If you haven't, then somehow, something went wrong in the logic. Also, maybe double what the event is actually called, because there is no "Don't Fear The Reaper" event... We could be talking about something different.

HelixCross

Dec 18, 2017
The file size has exceeded 2.1 GB, so I can't install it on my android. Makes me sad that I can't play it

The_Lost_One

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2021
The file size has exceeded 2.1 GB, so I can't install it on my android. Makes me sad that I can't play it
Check the GDrive and Mega links for android. I've compressed them further after people reported this issue. Now they're under 2GB and you can play it.

Reactions: HelixCross

Miury

Jan 13, 2021
So, I finished the game. I am delighted with the 1,2 and especially with the 3rd update. In the 3rd update I experienced even more new emotions, but unfortunately not all of them are happy. In the previous update, Shadow filled my heart. After reading all the dialogues
I will always remember this scene. When I go to bed, I remember her and the dreams become more pleasant. But the ending... I reminisce her face now. I hope the dev will continue to update the game, despite the situation in the patreon.
Wish you best luck, dev.

The_Lost_One

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2021
Where is the secret "Keep your eyes peeled when outside the mansion"?
Since no one else seems to be replying here, I'll give you a little hint: That secret was my first experiment with adding clickable parts of an image. Basically, there's someone hiding the first two times you leave the mansion, waiting to be clicked...

dadyfa

Nov 11, 2021
View attachment 1516817

Overview:
You’re an individual with an exceptional gift for reading people. After experiencing first-hand how much cruelty such a talent can evoke, you took steps to hide your identity and your gift from the eyes of those who would abuse it. Eventually, hiding yourself from the entire world.

However, your resigned contentment with being an outcast is about to be shaken by a very unexpected and slightly concerning invitation...

Welcome to A Better Place – a game, a story, a world where those who feel like outcasts can belong.
Here, you’ll meet various other characters with extraordinary talents and, as luck would have it, they’re all girls! Spend time with them, learn about their past, find out what haunts them, fall in love (or just grow close enough to get physical) and uncover the secret behind your abilities, as well as the heavy price they seem to carry.​

Thread Updated: 2022-09-16
Release Date: 2022-09-16
Developer: TheLostOne - - -
Censored: No
Version: Chapter 3
Language: English
Genre:

Installation:

Changelog:

Developer Notes:

DOWNLOAD
Win/Linux: GDRIVE - MEGA - -
Mac: GDRIVE - MEGA - -
Android: GDRIVE - MEGA - -
Other:
COMPRESSED*

*This unofficial port/version is not released by developer, download at your own risk.

View attachment 2047371 View attachment 2047365 View attachment 2047375 View attachment 2047390 View attachment 2047369 View attachment 1309844 View attachment 1516835 View attachment 1516833 View attachment 1799920 View attachment 1799926 View attachment 1799919 View attachment 1309839 View attachment 1516829 View attachment 2047368 View attachment 1799921 View attachment 1516846 View attachment 1516848 View attachment 2047366
will be there animated event?

The_Lost_One

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2021
will be there animated event?
Not unless the game gets close to being a full time thing. Learning to even do animations and then making them takes a good chunk of time. It would probably cost a few events worth of content just for a few seconds of action right now.

Reactions: Dimmuborrgir
Jul 24, 2022
A Better Place
Version: Chapter 3
Type: Sandbox - Grindfest
Content: Medium
Pacing: Slow-Steady
Plot line: Find a Safe Haven - Tracing back the past
Setting: Discovered and invited to a Manor after years of isolation

Character Models: Really Good
Personalities: properly developed with heavy backstory

Music: Decent
Animation: Good but not much there to judge

Note: Almost no H at all atm. Slow start but plot really picks up at the end of Chapter 3.

angevarg674

Sep 5, 2022
So, chapter 4's been out for a little bit and I just downloaded it today. Problem is, I can't continue from my chapter 3 save. I get an error upon trying to load the save I made when the end of ch3 spits you back into the sandbox. Here's the message:

(I downloaded it from the Google Drive link on Pateron, if this helps)

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 462, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
ImportError: No module named revertable

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in script
    python hide:
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 928, in execute
    renpy.python.py_exec_bytecode(self.code.bytecode, self.hide, store=self.store)
  File "renpy/python.py", line 2245, in py_exec_bytecode
    exec(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 28, in <module>
    python hide:
  File "renpy/common/_layout/screen_main_menu.rpym", line 35, in _execute_python_hide
    ui.interact()
  File "renpy/ui.py", line 298, in interact
    rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 3325, in interact
    repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, pause=pause, pause_start=pause_start, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/display/core.py", line 4160, in interact_core
    rv = root_widget.event(ev, x, y, 0)
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 1102, in event
    rv = i.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, cst)
  File "renpy/display/transition.py", line 48, in event
    return self.new_widget.event(ev, x, y, st) # E1101
  File "renpy/display/screen.py", line 727, in event
    rv = self.child.event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 1323, in event
    rv = super(Window, self).event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 273, in event
    rv = d.event(ev, x - xo, y - yo, st)
  File "renpy/display/layout.py", line 1323, in event
    rv = super(Window, self).event(ev, x, y, st)
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 983, in event
    return handle_click(self.clicked)
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 918, in handle_click
    rv = run(action)
  File "renpy/display/behavior.py", line 330, in run
    return action(*args, **kwargs)
  File "renpy/common/00action_file.rpy", line 462, in __call__
    renpy.load(fn)
  File "renpy/loadsave.py", line 770, in load
    roots, log = loads(location.load(filename))
  File "renpy/loadsave.py", line 63, in loads
    return cPickle.loads(s)
ImportError: No module named revertable

Windows-10-10.0.19041
Ren'Py 7.4.11.2266
A Better Place 4.0
Mon May  1 21:02:53 2023

Lolichu

May 4, 2017
So, chapter 4's been out for a little bit and I just downloaded it today. Problem is, I can't continue from my chapter 3 save. I get an error upon trying to load the save I made when the end of ch3 spits you back into the sandbox. Here's the message:

(I downloaded it from the Google Drive link on Pateron, if this helps)
I actually had the same problem, unfortunately. The saves pre-ch3 seemed to work for me, but I ended up starting anew entirely just to be safe, and in the process overwrote my broken saves so I could no longer debug. If you share the save it might help The_Lost_One debug the issue, though.

The_Lost_One

Game Developer
Jul 21, 2021
I'll be putting the new Chapter up here tonight if I can find the time. Tomorrow at the latest if not.

I've had a chat about this in the Discord bug reports channel. Only a few people had the problem and I have no idea what's causing it. The error originates in Renpy's engine code and doesn't even traceback to any of my scripts. Online searches didn't give me anything useful. I also can't recreate it at all.

It might be that you saved at a specific point outside the sandbox area, it might be Renpy interacting differently on your system for whatever reason or both or something else entirely.

Reactions: Dimmuborrgir

DraxisSilencer1000

Aug 26, 2020
This error everyone's been talking about also happened on me, I just restarted the entire game again which really sucks. But eh.

Lastly, those last 2 sleeping events with Shadow before her actual sex scene seems to be bugging out. Even though I already triggered the first half, and finishing that somehow doesn't clears it in the event tracker, its still greyed out.

Hence I can't actually proceed to the 2nd half and of course, to the eventual sex scene even with her too (which requires these last 2 separate sleeping with Shadow events of this update to be cleared). until I actually modified my save to set "shadownight2" be equal to 1. My "shadownight3" is somehow at 1 and "shadownight4" is at 0 before I did this fix.

After doing the modification, everything is fine as it is, but somehow that event that corresponds to "shadownight2" (I forgot the event's actual name) is still greyed out even though I finally get its full version (and after the sex scene with Shadow). Another one, which I don't know if intended, is right after the sex scene the event itself seems to always repeat whenever Shadow comes to sleep with the MC. It seems to be the typical scene where she goes to sleep with the MC but the entire sex scene event itself always repeats from start to finish (including the R18+ warning choice before the actual sex scene).

Last edited:
4.50 star(s) 8 Votes