sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
Characters in media should act... plausibly. So characters should act.. like people do in real life. To do otherwise, risks breaking suspension of disbelief.

So, I strongly disagree with your basic premise.

If someone is involved with a person with a heavily promiscuous past and is comfortable with that relationship, understanding the relationships the SO has with others immediately present is probably important for them to know.

Should the dev include a bunch of former lovers just because they're former lovers? Probably not. But, if a past relationship either makes sense in the situation or is pivotal for the circumstance, it shouldn't be avoided.

*edit* The posts I was replying to have vanished so this post makes little sense in isolation. Honest, this time I wasn't just yelling into the wind!

Last edited:

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
Characters in media should act... plausibly. So characters should act.. like people do in real life. To do otherwise, risks breaking suspension of disbelief.

So, I strongly disagree with your basic premise.

If someone is involved with a person with a heavily promiscuous past and is comfortable with that relationship, understanding the relationships the SO has with others immediately present is probably important for them to know.

Should the dev include a bunch of former lovers just because they're former lovers? Probably not. But, if a past relationship either makes sense in the situation or is pivotal for the circumstance, it shouldn't be avoided.
While I agree with you, i think even acting implausible for real life is fine if it is consistent with the style of the game, of what the games wants to be (this is subjective though but most time it is clear).

Take WMV or however it is. I strongly dislike that game. But whay I played was consistent with the premise: MC is a gift for women that shall be treasured by all of them.
Radiant, on the other, hand started as a potential drama story and soon developed into the most cliche daddy fucks all. Because the game tried, in my opinion, to be serious in the beginning everything they did after chapter 1 was a joke.

That is not to say you cannot on purpose change genres or make characters react unexpectedly. Acting Lessons is an excellent example of shift of game done right.
What i mean is an implicit intent of what the game is.

Problem lies in that many readers believe the game should be exactly what they want, even if it makes little sense to everyone else.

Rae in house in the rift makes sense. You may dislike she has a past, but it is clearly consistent with she being a succubus as other pointed out. Anyone that believes otherwise is simply not reading or trying to push their desires into the game.

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
While I agree with you, i think even acring implausible for real life is fine if it is consistent with the style of the game, of what the games wants to be (this is subjective though).

Take WMV or however it is. I strongly dislike that game. But whay I played was consistent with the premise: MC is a gift for women that shall be treasured by all of them.
Radiant, on the other, hand started as a potential drama story and soon developed into the most cliche daddy fucks all. Because the game tried, in my opinion, to be serious in the beginning everything they did after chapter 1 was a joke.

That is not to say you cannot on purpose change genres or make characters react unexpectedly, what i mean is an implicit intent of what the game is.

Problem lies in that many readers believe the game should be exactly what they want, even if it makes little sense to everyone else.

Rae in house in the rift makes sense. You may dislike she has a past, but it is clearly consistent with she being a succubus as other pointed out. Anyone that believes otherwise is simply not reading or trying to push their desires into the game.
Certainly genre can and does affect what is plausible. Genre conventions form a sort-of contract between the authors and the audience to modify expectation. Action-adventure? They're only flesh wounds, no reason to seek medical help! Romance? Of course they'll get together at the end all sins forgiven.

So in AHitR's case, of course all the women find the MC attractive. It's genre. Of course, the MC will grow into his power and turn out to be pivotal in <whatever the dramatic conflict becomes>. It's genre. Of course, the MC will have a happyish ending. It's genre.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
So in AHitR's case, of course all the women find the MC attractive. It's genre. Of course, the MC will grow into his power and turn out to be pivotal in <whatever the dramatic conflict becomes>. It's genre. Of course, the MC will have a happyish ending. It's genre.
Or they can pool another Acting Lessons on us. I would even welcome that.

But Rae having a past makes sense. So much sense.

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
Or they can pool another Acting Lessons on us. I would even welcome that.

But Rae having a past makes sense. So much sense.
I'm not a huge fan of subverting expectation. It works sometimes. Most of the time, I feel cheated. I signed up to experience X. The authors just wasted my time investment by providing Y after advertising X. Let me note those names so I don't give them another chance to waste my resources again.

Rae having a past doesn't just make sense; it was advertised in the first few interactions with her. If we are dealing with a personal mission of hers, we should expect to meet those who shared her past while on that mission.

On another note, it's why I feel the MC not caring about his place in his world and the consequences of the accident that led to the house is so dissonant. The author chose to create an MC who is not a loner orphan misanthrope. In itself that is refreshing. But the reason so many loner orphan misanthropes as MCs exist is because having ties to the world creates distraction away from the immediate situation. A MC with ties to family, job, and friends should seek to reassure himself that they are safe and seek to reassure them that he is safe. This is effectively parallel to both Cait's and Naomi's personal stories -- for the same reason.

Ayhsel

Chocolate Vampire
Donor
May 9, 2019
I'm not a huge fan of subverting expectation. It works sometimes. Most of the time, I feel cheated. I signed up to experience X. The authors just wasted my time investment by providing Y after advertising X. Let me note those names so I don't give them another chance to waste my resources again
For me it really depends on how its done.

In Rewrite the change is very natural, while remaining a clear cut point. All elements were hinted before, hidden in plain sight or even carefully exposed. Then, the shift happens and the story feels smooth about it.

I dont believe House in the Rift will go to those details, but sometimes for stories not to stalemate, you need to flip the board.

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
For me it really depends on how its done.

In Rewrite the change is very natural, while remaining a clear cut point. All elements were hinted before, hidden in plain sight or even carefully exposed. Then, the shift happens and the story feels smooth about it.

I dont believe House in the Rift will go to those details, but sometimes for stories not to stalemate, you need to flip the board.
I can appreciate a naturalistic evolution of a narrative. Situations can evolve and relationships change because of that evolution to a point. Foreshadowing and clear narrative choice can go a decent way to keeping a story fresh. When you get to the point of drastic genre shift (romance to horror or tragedy for an example) I feel the author isn't being honest with the initial advertising.

As a personal example, my spouse wanted to see A Constant Gardener and sold it to me as "a romance featuring Rachel Weiss". To say I was disappointed with the outing would be an understatement.

• Haha
Reactions: Ayhsel

Ekulw

Jun 21, 2022
Is the gallery broken? I last played a few patches ago so waited for a little more content and i dont seem to have the new scenes i saw in the gallery. Might be because i used a much older save though but i dont know. Just wondering if this is actually a thing or maybe I've bugged myself out somehow.
(last patch i played was when Blair was indroduced).
Don't think i can be assed to do it all again if that is the case, its not that important.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: jvm2001

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Is the gallery broken? I last played a few patches ago so waited for a little more content and i dont seem to have the new scenes i saw in the gallery. Might be because i used a much older save though but i dont know. Just wondering if this is actually a thing or maybe I've bugged myself out somehow.
(last patch i played was when Blair was indroduced).
Don't think i can be assed to do it all again if that is the case, its not that important.
The gallery is not broken (AFAIK) but has not been updated in the last I think two updates either.

• Angry

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Quoting this because I'm wondering about this scene, I think I may have done something out of order? The quest book still says talk to Lyriel in the evening and tell her to wear the blouse but all it gets me is the regular outfit sex scene. I got both her and Cait's makeup scenes already but can't seem to trigger this outfit change. If anyone's got a clue please chime in.
If by outfit you mean the school girl outfit than that's what's supposed to play. If it plays the slightly dominate scene where you tell her how to address you and such everything worked as intended.

View attachment 2698577
Hey guys.
I got a problem with Caith and her quest... Talked and done about everything possible during her breakfasts but this damn quest doesn't get a status update. Does someone know what the issue is with this thing?
You won't be able to do that until after her morning visits have been done with the fellatio. After that you can offer to supplement her protein.

ImSenjou

Apr 15, 2019
This game could have been so much better if it only had Lyriel and Rae as LI, these others could be optional, if they didn't exist it would be even better, so it wouldn't be so difficult to play this game.

Superfuken

Apr 19, 2022
This game could have been so much better if it only had Lyriel and Rae as LI, these others could be optional, if they didn't exist it would be even better, so it wouldn't be so difficult to play this game.
Noooo... Caitlin is a great character, and when she learns how to do better BJ, she'll be the best.

Bueno

Apr 26, 2017
I think the recent discussions on the characters are good indications that the plot needs to enter its third act.

uavxxx

Feb 23, 2021
I've waited months for the update, and the new content is not big :(
I feel disappointed to be honest. Love this game, but... we need more.

PRINCE2126

Jul 13, 2017
how far along is this game till its finished ? also can someone explain what happened a few pages down are they planning NTR If so id like to know so I can just bounce even if optional.

4.70 star(s) 318 Votes