NoStepOnSnek

Apr 29, 2018
I was delighted to see the game using the fine old English word "waif". I wonder if the Japanese could have derived their word "waifu" from it - and of course "waifu" has now found its way into English.
Iirc "waifu" just derives from a phonetic rendering of "wife" since many languages don't pronounce a single "I" the way English often does but instead always use "ai" or "ei" for that sound.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Iirc "waifu" just derives from a phonetic rendering of "wife" since many languages don't pronounce a single "I" the way English often does but instead always use "ai" or "ei" for that sound.
Apart from the fact that Japanese of course normally doesn't use the Latin alphabet, it's fair to say that a single "I" isn't pronounced like in English in any language that does. Basically every other language has the "i" either like the first vowel in "eternity" for the short or as in "steep" for the long vowel.

But yeah, phonetic renderings are very common in Japan, also with adjustments to make foreign sounds match the Japanese language logic. If you want to have some fun with it, try .

In the end, "waifu" definitely derives from the modern "wife", not the old spelling (which would have been pronounced basically the same as the modern "wife", give the letters "waif" to any speaker of a non English Germanic language, and they would pronounce it more or less like that).

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
You need to start a new game. You only need to play for about five minutes to unlock the Halloween dream, and when you're done with it you can go back to your old save.
Ok thanks for the information.

I'm not sure I'm interested in doing it: I haven't seen any of the other scenes yet (nor am I likely to see them in the future).

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Ok thanks for the information.

I'm not sure I'm interested in doing it: I haven't seen any of the other scenes yet (nor am I likely to see them in the future).
Well, it's up to you if you're interested in doing it or not. I figured that since you were asking. The girls look cute in their Halloween costumes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Well, it's up to you if you're interested in doing it or not. I figured that since you were asking. The girls look cute in their Halloween costumes.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
I was just curious to see if I had the same problem as others and the skull didn't appear. Now that I know that I also have that bug, well, my curiosity is over.

It's something similar to secret images, I know they exist, and I think I have gotten some, but I have never looked to see which ones I have and which ones I'm missing.

ZanithOne

A House in the Rift dev
Game Developer
Oct 2, 2018
I've been very busy so couldn't reply earlier, sorry. If I missed any questions/support requests, please ping me.

Not a big fan, I worry that with lumping everything together like that it's going to get confusing with too many things in one place. I would probably add a row of tabs down the left side of it to filter by main quest and by girls so that it's not too cluttered, with six girls it's probably going to get like that. Would be a place to use those cute sketches of the girls that we saw in one of the previews too, those were nice.
The red notification though, if that shows when a girl's hint changes from 'Nothing at the moment' or 'Wait a bit' to show that the conditions for her next event have been fulfilled that will be good, having to keep checking on those was a bit annoying.​
Also, I don't really get the hint for Lyriel, 'take off the gloves, then put them back on'?
Yeah, the quest log will be updated with new stuff later. There will be filters/categories, and yes, I will try to make the update notification more useful.

Just throwing out a suggestion because I think it would be cool, but maybe take a lot of work?

It would be cool if the quest log and the gallery were integrated, as in clicking on a done quest in the quest log would give you an option to replay that scene.

Love the game, thanks devs.
Good idea. Can't promise it'll be done anytime soon, but I'll file it to my Big List of Things To Add.

So, are we going to get back to the story for both the girls and MC .. or is the 'new normal' for updates going to be a never ending series of random repeatable sex scenes in the house?

Really wish Dev would get this game back on track and the story moving forward. For me anyway the story is the draw, the sex is a bonus.
There are two story events in the latest update, and after Blair is settled in the house, it will pick up again.

When's Naomi going to get an update, sheesh.:cautious:
Her next arc should start early next year.

/talk_scripts/sf_shower/lyriel_cleaning.rpy', 1597342626, 0) is defined twice
If you unpacked the game earlier, do a cleanup of script files. Otherwise this must be a weird patch failure. Then just redownload the full build.

Since 5.10 update animations stop going on a cycle, only one go, how to fix it?
anyone else have the animation stop cycle around? there is a way to solve it?
This just happens sometimes. Usually a full system restart fixes the issue.

• ?? - Clue: A motivational speaker that insists on everyone saying "Good morning"? :unsure:
Donnie Darko

Dear ZanithOne, for the love of God, and all things holy, please use x’s, y’s and z’s for all future logical tests! :eek:
:ROFLMAO:
No. :mad:

So, I used the updater, and it locked some of the scenes I had unlocked in the scene gallery. Does anyone know the fix?
In theory, if you load your save game, it should restore the gallery state. In theory.

Been replaying the game for hours now but everytime I click the gallery I get this error. Solution?
If you have any kind of mod installed or earlier version unpacked, clean up the script files.

Oh, that's hardly the same thing IMO. It was probably him being such a reticent prick when asked about their relationship in the cellar that led to the other scene. Like, is it really that hard to tell her the truth about why he took Lyriel to the house? If he had just answered her damn questions then she might not have come out of it thinking he's abusing Lyriel and holding her against her will.
Taena wasn't in the inn this evening tho :rolleyes:

Is there a way to advance the "A Taste of Morning" subplot? Cait keeps coming in the morning and doing the same thing.
Post your save, please, I'll have a look.

what do I do with the hi-res patch? I downloaded that latest one, 0.5.8 to 0.5.9 and it's .exe? I tried to run it but it says it can't detect the game. :WaitWhat:
Hi-res/compressed patches only work with the same flavour of the base version. You cannot use the hi-res patch on the compressed version of the game.

Is it possible to patch on android/monile? (From 5.9 to 5.10) and if so how?
No, the patches only work on PC.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I have been following this for months on trying to get the Spooky Time dream unlocked. I have read every post but nothing has worked for me. I have read changing your system clock to around Halloween (Oct 31st) and I have changed my system clock to every day from 10-25 to 11-7 and ran the game. No joy.

So I waited for months until we were within a week of Halloween (like we are today) and nothing.

I finally said fuck it and parsed the code and I still cannot figure out how to get it to unlock within the existing code from the game.

So the unlock appears to occur with this statement in dream_app.rpy file:
if halloween_time:
button:
action Function(unlock_halloween_20)
has fixed
xmaximum 200
ymaximum 200
add "gui/smartphone/dream_app/halloween_20.png"

However halloween_time is never defined anywhere in the game. It is literally only existent in one other file (migrations.rpy) where the following is listed:
if store.halloween_time:
state.interaction_manager.add_sleep_trigger(
Trigger(
trigger_id = "halloween_20.start",
one_time = True,
priority = -150)

So it will never run turn true.

So for those that want to actually play this, there are two ways to get it to start (both Console):

To enable the Spooky Times dream in the dream app (click on it - then wait and go to sleep that night): halloween_time='true'
To just say fuck it and run it: jump halloween_20.start

Have fun all - enjoy. Elsewhere (and now on the front page) has how to get all the sex scenes.

Peace.

Reactions: gaypimmel

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
Well, acschully, halloween_time is updated elsewhere, but yeah, there is a scoping bug in 0.5.10 that prevents it from working. :giggle:
If it is - I could not find it. Could you enlighten me? I don't mind being wrong - and I am not an expert at coding as Python is not my languages (C, C++, COBOL, PASCAL, Delphi, Fortran, and 8086 assembler are my jam)

I un-ren-ed the rpa files, and they were all put in the scripts directory. Did a command line search for the halloween_time name for all files.

game/scripts$ grep -ire halloween_time
ui/smartphone/dream_app.rpy: if halloween_time:
migrations.rpy: if store.halloween_time:
game/scripts$

So I expanded my search and found where it is set - save_and_compatibility_utils.rpy
halloween_time = 274 <= time.localtime().tm_yday <= 334
if not halloween_time:
state.dream_manager.remove_dream("halloween_20.start")

So just pulled up a Gregorian calendar and so it should show up if the current date is sometime between October 1st and November 30th.

Okay - so it is supposed to be set - and you said it is a bug to be worked on. Okay - no worries. I still have a post so people who what to get around it and allow them to play the scenes - they can do it.

Reactions: ZanithOne

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
If it is - I could not find it. Could you enlighten me? I don't mind being wrong - and I am not an expert at coding as Python is not my languages (C, C++, COBOL, PASCAL, Delphi, Fortran, and 8086 assembler are my jam)
I am happy to see a fellow 86 assembly fan. May it newer fall out of use.

Reactions: mordred93

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Taena wasn't in the inn this evening tho :rolleyes:
Taena runs a tight ship, I have a hard time believing that they did it without her knowledge and approval. At the very least I'd expect them to have all talked about our conversation in the dungeon before they planned that.

I un-ren-ed the rpa files, and they were all put in the scripts directory. Did a command line search for the halloween_time name for all files.

game/scripts$ grep -ire halloween_time
ui/smartphone/dream_app.rpy: if halloween_time:
migrations.rpy: if store.halloween_time:
game/scripts$

So I expanded my search and found where it is set - save_and_compatibility_utils.rpy
halloween_time = 274 <= time.localtime().tm_yday <= 334
if not halloween_time:
state.dream_manager.remove_dream("halloween_20.start")

So just pulled up a Gregorian calendar and so it should show up if the current date is sometime between October 1st and November 30th.

Okay - so it is supposed to be set - and you said it is a bug to be worked on. Okay - no worries. I still have a post so people who what to get around it and allow them to play the scenes - they can do it.
If you're interested, the default statement in utils/misc/splashscreen.rpy sets the halloween_time variable when a new game is started, which is why starting a new game during the window causes it to be set to True. The problem is that the code that is supposed to update it whenever you load your game is setting halloween_time as a local variable scoped to that function call, not changing the global variable that the rest of the code is checking for. halloween_time = True in the console will enable the dream, as will starting a new game.

itfod

Apr 16, 2021
Guys, I'm really confused. I've been trying to trigger the Bathroom Pitjob scene continuously, getting Lyriel to scrub the bath over and over again, but it just refuses to trigger. Can somebody tell me if there's a step by step way to access it? I think I might be just plain clueless.

Additionally, I've noticed she tends to 'disappear' in the evenings sometimes on the map - cannot find her at all.

Other thing; I haven't triggered Yona's inclusion to the house yet, but her dream sequence has been started, and she and Lyriel both were mentioned in Cait's return scene. bit of a story bug, but not the biggest issue.

If somebody could please give me instructions on how to get that last scene, or tell me that I've somehow screwed up by forgetting to trigger something, I would much appreciate it, thank you. :D

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
Guys, I'm really confused. I've been trying to trigger the Bathroom Pitjob scene continuously, getting Lyriel to scrub the bath over and over again, but it just refuses to trigger. Can somebody tell me if there's a step by step way to access it? I think I might be just plain clueless.

Additionally, I've noticed she tends to 'disappear' in the evenings sometimes on the map - cannot find her at all.

Other thing; I haven't triggered Yona's inclusion to the house yet, but her dream sequence has been started, and she and Lyriel both were mentioned in Cait's return scene. bit of a story bug, but not the biggest issue.

If somebody could please give me instructions on how to get that last scene, or tell me that I've somehow screwed up by forgetting to trigger something, I would much appreciate it, thank you. :D
When Lyriel disappears in the evenings she's in Yona's room, but Yona isn't there yet, it's a bug.

Reactions: ZanithOne
4.70 star(s) 318 Votes