Jul 1, 2021
I just downloaded this game (?) for the 3rd time. I like everything about it except that sometimes it feels like the story gets bogged down and doesn't go anywhere. Even the posts reflect that, in that they drift away from the story. So, I'm hoping the next update gives us new things and moves the story forward. Let's move from stale back to tale, please. :)

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
I just downloaded this game (?) for the 3rd time. I like everything about it except that sometimes it feels like the story gets bogged down and doesn't go anywhere. Even the posts reflect that, in that they drift away from the story. So, I'm hoping the next update gives us new things and moves the story forward. Let's move from stale back to tale, please. :)
not gonna happen. i'd say this is close to end and ends when wifey and girls pop out babies.

v1900

Apr 21, 2020
Hate to be that guy, but PC started out as "Personal Computer", as opposed to the mainframe / terminal computers that were around when the PC was first released. So many things could be called PCs today, your smartphone, Intel /AMD/M1 computers running various OS including Windows, MacOS, Linux, BeOS, Unix, MiNT, etc, tablets, ereaders, toasters, smart tvs, etc.

The definitions have shifted since then but it seems to be differentiated by the OS, not the hardware as many types of hardware can run many types of OS software.
Hate to be that guy, to necro this shit. But what the hell are you talking about?

A) Mainframes are still a thing in this day and age. Ask any bank or financial institution if they would trust their transaction workload to anything other than a mainframe and get laughed out of their building. So yeah the PC distinction is quite valid.

B) Anything that has a gated ecosystem can't be called a PC, the essence of a PC is that it is a general-purpose/multi-purpose computer. Furthermore try running production software like Autodesk Robot Structural Analysis on your smartphone. While some smartphones might have the power to run that (not really), they lack the appropriate OS, input devices, CPU architecture and instructions sets to do so.

Smartphones for all their prowess are simplified (reduced instruction set computing) entertainment consumption computers. I will call my toaster or TV a PC the day I can design, render and print a building executive project from peripherals attached to them.

The day that happens we can have all the different versions of all VNs under the PC category. :coffee:;)

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Hate to be that guy, to necro this shit. But what the hell are you talking about?
It was about the term "PC" instead of "Windows/Linux" in a link description, even if a footnote explained it. That's all.

Irgendwie Irgendwo

Engaged Member
Jun 30, 2018
Turns out I skipped one update and it seems I did not miss much. Won't complain though since I've gone through the complaints more than once and we all know what's wrong. So, positive things. Some new scenery in February with the monastery. Googling "medieval names for boys" turned out to be not necessary as Isabella was taken by the game (I take it that it's a random variable). Lady Catherine's child is cute and already crawling and trying to talk. I guess next time skip we will get the WAAAAAH! treatment from Alice's child. Speaking of whom, she's now been training for years and unless I missed something she still hasn't been able to use her skills even once. Meaning we have no idea if our MC is a good teacher or knows diddly squat how to do it.

v1900

Apr 21, 2020
It was about the term "PC" instead of "Windows/Linux" in a link description, even if a footnote explained it. That's all.
Yeah, I get that but my tirade was more about me taking issue with what he considers a PC. I mean he goes as far as to say a toaster can be a PC.

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Yeah, I get that but my tirade was more about me taking issue with what he considers a PC. I mean he goes as far as to say a toaster can be a PC.
It was quite ridiculous at the time, that's correct.

• Haha
Reactions: v1900

JoeTheMC84

Dec 1, 2021
I haven't finished this yet, I'm maybe a third of the way into it, maybe even less. But I just have to say something about some of the reviews and other people in the thread who are upset about the anachronistic language being used (such as awesome and other things). Anyone upset about it is historically ignorant. The very fact that they are speaking modern English at all is anachronistic already. Anything set before 1600 (the latest a story about true knights and lords could reasonable be set) would use an almost wholly different language, you would be incapable of reading most of it. Example:

"Wilcumian ic wênan êow weorðian tela ðe w¯æwærðlic"
or
"Welcometh Ich hopæ thee'ræ weī̆ple a'd o,"

Can anyone read that? The first is old English, spoken before 1100 AD, a bit older than would be spoken in a classic knight tale, but since the first true knights in Europe started practicing in the 8th century not too early. The second is the English spoken from around 1100-1500 AD, otherwise known as the settings for most medieval games and other media.

Just so you're aware, they both say, "Welcome, I hope you're well and good." You can clearly see the Germanic influence in the Old English especially and some of the words are closer than you think once you know what they are... And this of course ignores the fact that most lords would speak Frankish or French depending on time frame as their court language in nearly all of western Europe at these times in history. Most modern medieval stories use either modernized Shakespearian or late 19th century to modern Posh English.

My point with this is that this author has decide to just uses modern parlance and to me this is actually a breath of fresh air. I'm glad the characters talk like normal people instead of using the fake "Hollywood" medieval English that most people expect from such stories. I studied history and literature and few things get me more pissed then when people complain about anachronism in stories when what they mean is "This isn't like other fake history movies/books/games/whatever that I enjoy." And this also ignores the fact that this is clearly not set in some actual medieval place, thus making it even more silly to be upset about the use of modern English. It's like people getting mad that all the aliens in Sci-Fi speak English. Duh, you understand English so what do you expect? Go watch the same Sci-Fi show in China and they'll be dubbed into Chinese... This VN is for modern English-speaking audiences so it's in modern English. I don't get people being upset about this.

The movie A Knight's Tale (funny it has the same name as this game) got crap for being anachronistic too. People complained about the songs in it, specifically Golden Years by David Bowie but there were others as well. And some other things like the way they talked and turns of phrase they used. The director pointed out that all the orchestral and "classical" music people expected and were mad about not being used was also from serval hundred years later and would also be anachronistic. Now, people look back on it as being a great movie and one of Heath Ledges better films.

Another person complained that squires didn't start training till they were 18 in the setting. Number 1, even in the setting it is made clear that Alice (and the MC) *started* training much earlier than 18. Number 2, if she became a squire at 10 as would be somewhat more accurate to our IRL history then the MC couldn't fall in love with her have a relationship with her. Number 3, it is clear in this setting that squires under knights are more like journeymen (18-25) under a master (30+) than novices (05-15) under a journeyman.

I can't speak to some of the other complaints but another one that bugged me was when I saw someone complain that Lydia wasn't hesitating enough to just lay in bed with Cathy because she "was just a servant girl." That's silly too, Lydia is Cathy's handmaid and servant. She has to do what Cathy says. There were literally servant girls in some periods of time who had the sole job of sleeping with their lord or lady so they would be warm at night. And don't get me started on servants who had the tasks of helping their lords and ladies deal with their... excretions... servants weren't allowed to be hesitant at all IRL unless they wanted to risk pissing off their lord or lady no matter what they asked them to do.

I may come back and address some of the other complaints when I get further in the story. Such as some people saying the game feels more like Cathy is forming a harem with the MC in it, the MC being just an observer and getting left behind, or it is two separate couples just swinging later on. Those seem contradictory but I saw all those complaints, so I don't know. Maybe I'll agree with those later but so far, they seem unfounded.

"CJ"

Conversation Conqueror
Mar 6, 2021
A Knight's Tale [v0.32 SE] [Neverlucky] crunched

Original Size / Compressed Size PC*: 3,01 GB / 1,16 GB - Aknightstale-0.32-Special-Version-pc-crunched.zip
Original Size / Compressed Size Mac: x,xx GB / 1,14 GB - Aknightstale-0.32-Special-Version-mac-crunched.zip

Download (PC*/Mac): - -

Unofficial Update Patch 0.31 SE to 0.32 SE crunched
Copy/extract the content of the archive into the "game" folder and overwrite when asked.

Unofficial Update Patch Compressed Size: 55,2 MB - Aknightstale-0.32-Special-Version-update-crunched.7z

Download (PC*/Mac):
- -

(y)L O A D 'n' L I K E - If you L O A D it then L I K E it!(y) If not, like it anyway!(y) Thanks!;)

This compression is unofficial and untested, use at your own risk.
Compressing process reduces quality and can break the game.

*PC = Win+Linux

Tools: YAC v3.3 (hngg@f95zone) -

Last edited:

Anonimgambler

Jan 12, 2021
I should not have glanced at the reviews tab. People who don't like this game are so very angry about this game. Like... chill, please.
My main problem of this one is how many times word "fun" are used.Characters, probably, playing the game "every sentence must have "fun" word in it".

2.90 star(s) 97 Votes