GetOutOfMyLab

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Aug 13, 2021
This talk about version numbers...

anything less than 1.0 typically means it's an alpha version in most dev shops. So if it's completed, it should technically be 1.0 or higher.

But yeah, there are various ways to do versioning and sometimes software devs will increase a version by a large amount just to show significant change from a previous version or simply to get more hype.

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
Seems to be working out pretty well for him too. Almost makes you wonder why more devs haven't caught on yet.
Usually the question lies in the other direction. The "why" most people do this and that is usually answered with: "Because most people are not complete idiots". In this case I would not say that however. In this case I would say "because they don't make plans" or are not able to do so.
That's why I prefer Kickstarter. The guys there need to at least give the production of their product some thoughts. They may be wrong of course, but there's by far not so many amateurs who work month by month, see how far they come. And of course that avoids the "milking", since you had to do a estimate of your costs and see if you actually got enough money to realize the project.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
Just playing devil's advocate over here, but NLT keeps track of “completion” in his version numbers. So the last update of The Genesis Order, which is 57011, indicates “57% completion”. Only instance of this I've seen myself, however.
only problem with nlt is that they use rpgm engine.

sigvar

Sep 5, 2021
What you are saying here is that the version number acts as a progress bar for how completed the VN is. Never once in any VN, nor any other software ever, have I seen that, and I have legitimately no idea where you could ever find examples to back up stating that as if it is a common fact.

A version number should be plain and simple. It's a unique identifier of that specific build of the game. It can be , a timestamp, hash, build number, chapter, I don't care. As long as it's unique, it's a usable version number. (It'd be much preferred if a version number always increased from one build to the next, but this isn't necessarily required.)

If the version acts as a progress bar, however, that means it can go forward and backward as the scope of the game/software changes.

Lets say a game is 20% completed, but the dev changes their plans and decides to add a lot more content. In that case, a game that was at v0.20 can then become v0.10 with the next update. The v0.10 update is still a newer version with more content, but since the number is lower, it'll appear that it's an older version of the game. (Worse yet if there was a previous v0.10!)

If, however, the dev used just about any other versioning system, there would be little, if any, confusion at what is the newest version of the game.
This is what major.minor.build versioning deals with, i.e. 0.21.334. This could mean that the developer views the 0 as a non-complete first version. The 21 could be the internal increment to indicate progress (not necessarily a percentage though). And the last number 334 could represent a build number which usually refers to the number of builds on the (master, main, base, etc.) branch.

Also there are letter designations that clarify this as well. A beta project could be 2.4b and an alpha could be 4.1a and those numeric values become distinguished from each other.

I think that the technical details about how versioning is done from a developer's perspective, however, is a moot point. The problem is and has always been about how the user perceives and understands the versioning. The point here being that the current version being dubbed "Complete" is confusing to most laypeople.

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
just finished playing with one for first time, quite decent game for what it is, didn't really expected it, huge step up from Triangle and before disaster of a Couples came along
it funny to see how fucking useless and hypocrite reviews on this site are, this game downvoted into 2.5 stars for no reason even though it doesn't even try to be something exceptional, but slap some fucking cat ears into your overbloated repeating piece what goes nowhere in circles over and over again and suddenly you got solid 4 star masterpiece

• Angry
Reactions: The D0n

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
just finished playing with one for first time, quite decent game for what it is, didn't really expected it, huge step up from Triangle and before disaster of a Couples came along
it funny to see how fucking useless and hypocrite reviews on this site are, this game downvoted into 2.5 stars for no reason even though it doesn't even try to be something exceptional, but slap some fucking cat ears into your overbloated repeating piece what goes nowhere in circles over and over again and suddenly you got solid 4 star masterpiece
IDK about the last reference (I assume it's from Couples or something), but this game made me stop playing NeverLucky creations. Triangle was actually a little better IMO simply b/c the characters had to grow a bit. This one was way too repetitive for my tastes, with fairly bland dialogue and no real character growth at all (not counting the physical growth at the end ofc). What's worse, this one implied some potential for a deeper plot . . . and then dealt with those "twists" in the simplest manner possible. I don't buy the excuse that this is just a SoL VN, either, b/c even RL has more drama (not talking about the depressing type) than this did. So while I don't think I agree with this being "quite [a] decent game", I can only imagine the next creations and think I'm smart not to continue with them.

cxx

Message Maestro
Nov 14, 2017
well that's because story was mostly wake up, bath, eat, do some thing, have sex, sleep and then repeat it until end of game.

Danv

Aug 21, 2020
IDK about the last reference (I assume it's from Couples or something)
nah, other dev, who does exactly "too repetitive for my tastes, with fairly bland dialogue and no real character growth at all" but even on bigger scale with even more useless water and walking in circles, and people fucking love it, try even attempt to critique that game - you gonna be facepalmed into oblivion
i don't mind occasional SoL, and i would say this one doing okay job at that, you don't need any drama or conflict to have it good, but there are still limits on how you do it
Couples crosses the line in that regard with it excessive explanatory writing - every tiniest and most mundane of actions characters do needs to be said aloud, confirmed by other characters, reminded again and so on, constantly... no one does that, not on this level, that not SoL or even humans - thats robots training to infiltrate humanity with their debug log turned on, i don't even know how Neverlucky ended up like this

Reactions: GetOutOfMyLab

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
nah, other dev, who does exactly "too repetitive for my tastes, with fairly bland dialogue and no real character growth at all" but even on bigger scale with even more useless water and walking in circles, and people fucking love it, try even attempt to critique that game - you gonna be facepalmed into oblivion
i don't mind occasional SoL, and i would say this one doing okay job at that, you don't need any drama or conflict to have it good, but there are still limits on how you do it
Couples crosses the line in that regard with it excessive explanatory writing - every tiniest and most mundane of actions characters do needs to be said aloud, confirmed by other characters, reminded again and so on, constantly... no one does that, not on this level, that not SoL or even humans - thats robots training to infiltrate humanity with their debug log turned on, i don't even know how Neverlucky ended up like this
Yeah, IDK. Like I said, A Knight's Tale pretty much turned me off of NL unless something amazing happens in the game after the current one.

Reactions: The D0n

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
I stayed at this story for a while but I can't bring myself to get through the last two updates and I really am no stranger to games with dumb dialogs.
Some scenes are like having Siri talk to Alexa and Cortana joining the conversation in the middle.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: cxx

battali0n

Oct 30, 2021
I started this game a while back but stopped when it looked like the developer was pushing the girls towards bi-sexuality. I love harem games but I only play them if all bi-sexual content is optional. I would like to play this game so I thought I should ask. Is it optional or is it forced?

Walter Victor

Forum Fanatic
Dec 27, 2017
I started this game a while back but stopped when it looked like the developer was pushing the girls towards bi-sexuality. I love harem games but I only play them if all bi-sexual content is optional. I would like to play this game so I thought I should ask. Is it optional or is it forced?
You're probably going to want to avoid this developer's games. Maybe there's an exception somewhere, but it seems to me that all the girls in his three games are bisexual, with the player having no say in that matter.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
Just to add on what Walter said.

Devs first game is about a couple who bring in a third girl, both girls are bisexual. This game has all the girls as bisexual and their new game has a lesbian couple living with a straight couple but will likely also go down the bisexual route.

battali0n

Oct 30, 2021
Just to add on what Walter said.

Devs first game is about a couple who bring in a third girl, both girls are bisexual. This game has all the girls as bisexual and their new game has a lesbian couple living with a straight couple but will likely also go down the bisexual route.
I appreciate both of you. I am always looking for new creators to try and it can be hard to get that kind of insight on them :)

2.90 star(s) 97 Votes