QuixoteTheDon

May 18, 2017
Nice little game. Good renders, sweet little story, likeable MC....

But...

Repetitiveness is a major fault I can point out... and it consumes all segments of the game. The story becomes repetitive, the gameplay (Breach minigame :oops:) and the map design and layout are monstrously repetitive. If the story has to be repetitive so that the romance can evolve, then the rest of the game shouldn't be.

Time is precious to some of us. :illuminati:

Tulrek

Oct 25, 2020
For my part I'm stuck with the 3 secrets: bins at the train station, behind the benches and looking at the stars.
Any clues ?

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
For my part I'm stuck with the 3 secrets: bins at the train station, behind the benches and looking at the stars.
Any clues ?
"bins at the train station" => The train station is in a violet color theme
"behind the benches" => Maybe one of the benches in on of the main hallways on the Residential Ring.
"looking at the stars" => The best place to view to the starts is the observatory

Nice little game. Good renders, sweet little story, likeable MC....

But...

Repetitiveness is a major fault I can point out... and it consumes all segments of the game. The story becomes repetitive, the gameplay (Breach minigame :oops:) and the map design and layout are monstrously repetitive. If the story has to be repetitive so that the romance can evolve, then the rest of the game shouldn't be.

Time is precious to some of us. :illuminati:
Thanks. Not quite sure what you find repetitive on the story, other than the mini-game. All dialogues are unique and should drive to story or show that time is passing. If you mean the visits in the classroom or afternoon activities, they all serve a purpose. First of all, it should show that time is passing and they have time to get to know each other. Also, they haven't much elsewhere to go yet, because they couldn't unlock those areas. Another reason, it should add to the immersion that they are on a big empty ship.

In regards of repetitive areas. Huge structures, like a spaceship would be build in modules, which would be very similar to each other. I tried to make them different at least in terms of labels for rooms and color themes for the different rings. Anyway, I want to make them a bit more different from each other with some more little details and changes here and there. I just didn't have the time yet to create all those. At the moment I'm focusing more on the story development than the locations. By the time the free-roam mode will take a bigger part I'll try to add more details.
Just for good measurement. Most of the environments and assets are modeled by myself and not just assets I grabbed from the store. So, creating those environments takes a bit longer then using prefabs. And creating more details would extend time between updates.

Don't get me wrong, adding more details to the world is what I want to do. I just have to cut corners here and there in favor to create updates in a reasonable time.

Reactions: QuixoteTheDon

Tulrek

Oct 25, 2020
"behind the benches" => Maybe one of the benches in on of the main hallways on the Residential Ring.
"looking at the stars" => The best place to view to the starts is the observatory
Damned I thought I looked there !!
Thanks.

QuixoteTheDon

May 18, 2017
I get it. You do you. If it was me making this game I would have severely reduced the number of locations the MC can actually go to. Focus details in story renders and in a nice contained free roam, rinse and repeat as you make updates. For example BADIK is a game where its creator mastered the structure and scope of free roams. Welcome to Free Will is another with decent free roams. Again; it's your game, it actually is quite decent, so best of luck to you.

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
I get it. You do you. If it was me making this game I would have severely reduced the number of locations the MC can actually go to. Focus details in story renders and in a nice contained free roam, rinse and repeat as you make updates. For example BADIK is a game where its creator mastered the structure and scope of free roams. Welcome to Free Will is another with decent free roams. Again; it's your game, it actually is quite decent, so best of luck to you.
In case it sounded like I took your comment as offense or something, I absolutely don't. I get what you mean and where you come from. My intentions and my design-choices are probably just a bit different to what some people want them to be.
Anyway, most of the locations that are currently still locked I've already created before I started rendering the story knowing I'll need them down the line. This way I won't need to create the locations on demand when needed. So, one factor less that expends time between updates, hopefully. And the hallways leading to those areas shouldn't just pop-up when the location itself is introduced. So, seeing this locations in the free-roam the player could guess what could come down the line, where those locations are when needed and I don't need to create those connecting locations, like hallways, when needed.
I did a lot of work on the engine, navigation network and everything surrounding the game before I even started rendering the story, which saves me quite some time now.
And like I said, I want the player to feel kinda lost, it should serve to the immersion of being on a huge unfamiliar place.

And if the player feels lost, or even doesn't like the 'labor' of the repeating mini-games it is just what the MC is experiencing. So I personally hope, it helps the player to connect to the mc and the story.

John972

Apr 24, 2018
Maybe, try to move the mouse away from a trigger after a click. The sequence will be the same like the round before but will increase by one additional button each round, like:
first round: Button A flashing
click A
second round: Button A flashing -> Button D flashing
click A then D
third round: Button A flashing -> Button D flashing -> Button B flashing
click A then D then B
and so on...
Kinda like the simon says task in among us:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Hi Marvellous Lunatic

firstly, thank you for your great game.

I think there is an issue with the DJ minigame, which stops it being intuitive in any way.

The first round is fine, a single button lights up, click it, move to the second round.

The second round is a problem - the first button (i.e. the same one from the first round) DOESN'T light up, only the second button does. This meant I had to come to this thread to get clues about what was wrong. To solve the issue, I simply had to click on the button that DIDN'T light up (hardly a logical step) followed by the button that did light up. Thus, the minigame isn't working properly.

The third to fifth rounds are fine. All buttons light up correctly.

Marvellous Lunatic

Game Developer
Mar 22, 2018
Hi Marvellous Lunatic

firstly, thank you for your great game.

I think there is an issue with the DJ minigame, which stops it being intuitive in any way.

The first round is fine, a single button lights up, click it, move to the second round.

The second round is a problem - the first button (i.e. the same one from the first round) DOESN'T light up, only the second button does. This meant I had to come to this thread to get clues about what was wrong. To solve the issue, I simply had to click on the button that DIDN'T light up (hardly a logical step) followed by the button that did light up. Thus, the minigame isn't working properly.

The third to fifth rounds are fine. All buttons light up correctly.
Thanks. I think the problem here is maybe something different. In the second round the first button is flashing, but because your mouse is still over this very button and it's highlighted in the same color as the flashing color is, the first button in the second round may get overlooked. I forgot to change the color for the flashing. In the next build this will be fixed.

John972

Apr 24, 2018
Thanks. I think the problem here is maybe something different. In the second round the first button is flashing, but because your mouse is still over this very button and it's highlighted in the same color as the flashing color is, the first button in the second round may get overlooked. I forgot to change the color for the flashing. In the next build this will be fixed.
Yes, you're right. The lack of delay between rounds gives the false impression in this instance that the button is lighting up while/after being clicked.

Xumeey

Apr 27, 2017
I can't find the one around the pool and I have no idea where the dance club is.
Can you help?

osanaiko

Engaged Member
Modder
Jul 4, 2017
Anything on correcting the C++ error ?
It's discussed multiple times in this thread already.

You need to install the "Microsoft C++ Runtime Distributable" that is appropriate for your version of windows. Search on the Microsoft website for this (beware of scam sites).

Most people already have this requirement installed by other commercial AAA+ games so it doesn't affect them.

The dev is looking into how the requirement can be fulfilled by just the game itself on next release.

Nulldev

Nov 28, 2017
It's discussed multiple times in this thread already.

You need to install the "Microsoft C++ Runtime Distributable" that is appropriate for your version of windows. Search on the Microsoft website for this (beware of scam sites).

Most people already have this requirement installed by other commercial AAA+ games so it doesn't affect them.

The dev is looking into how the requirement can be fulfilled by just the game itself on next release.

4.00 star(s) 46 Votes