VN Ren'Py Completed A Moment of Bliss [v5.0.1 Final] [Lockheart]

4.10 star(s) 65 Votes

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
If, for whatever reason, incestuous feelings would be totally normal and fine, then the taboo and fear of the consequences is gone and only the sex remains.
That's only true if the relationship was only based on sex to begin with. Most are not and it's more complicated.

Reactions: Gwydion

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
That's only true if the relationship was only based on sex to begin with. Most are not and it's more complicated.
Yes, but that makes it worse.

Could you love a humanoid sex robot? She can probably fuck really well, but she only does so because she's programmed to do so. There is nothing there, only sex. It'll probably feel good but it's empty as fuck...

Uthuriel

Conversation Conqueror
Jan 26, 2021
Yes, but that makes it worse.

Could you love a humanoid sex robot? She can probably fuck really well, but she only does so because she's programmed to do so. There is nothing there, only sex. It'll probably feel good but it's empty as fuck...
Ask Tasha Jar... I think she had a good time... :KEK:
Honestly it depends on how advanced the AI is... in the end humans are just flesh robots running shitty "software".

So that's a maybe?

Alcibi

Jul 27, 2019
Thanks for letting us know, it seems to be a common problem and a fixed version is being worked on. For now, pressing ignore seems to allow the game to continue.
Got this issue in the Windows version as well, though the issue shown immediately is slightly different. Whenever I try reading a message on the phone, I get this:

Code:
I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
TypeError: Too many arguments in call (expected from 0 to 1, got 2).

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "chapters/1 chapter/4midnightoil.rpyc", line 344, in script call
  File "phone/core.rpyc", line 92, in script call
  File "phone/apps/messages/messages.rpyc", line 137, in script
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 1072, in execute
    values = apply_arguments(self.parameters, renpy.store._args, renpy.store._kwargs)
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 294, in apply_arguments
    return parameters.apply(args, kwargs, ignore_errors)
  File "renpy/ast.py", line 250, in apply
    (expected, len(args)))

Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 AMD64
Ren'Py 7.5.2.22081402
A Moment of Bliss 2.2.1
Mon Sep  5 07:32:56 2022
Pressing Ignore doesn't seem to help, because it then throws the one with the undefined 'char' that I saw mentioned earlier, and pressing Ignore after that again and again just loops between the two exceptions. Just letting you know.

PervyParadox

Apr 26, 2022
However, if there is one interesting thing that I have learned from this discussion it is that an unnatural or scientifically-based explanation for the inducement to incest in this particular game caused a fascinating reaction. Possibly much more interesting than the game itself. For those who were enjoying the story believing that the characters were inclined toward sexual attraction to family members due to their own inborn and natural predictions, this backstory of the experiment had a profound impact on their ability to enjoy the fetish. This in itself is an area of inquiry that merits further study.
Was thinking the same thing, it is interesting if you're interested in sociology / psychology studies. I mean I haven't thought that much into it but if I had to take a wild guess right now, I'd say that people who played this game and A Petal Among Thorns are probably more interested in playing a game where the characters share an emotionnal connection and a physical intimacy that would be expressed in a way that's considered taboo. It's not only the taboo of having forbidden sexual intercourses with members of the same family, it's also the taboo of having forbidden emotionnal and physical relationships ALONG with sexual intercourses, in a way that it's all connected within the characters. So in a way it's not only the taboo of just "doing forbidden sexual stuff", it's also the taboo of the girls wanting to do stuff because it's just how they are and how they feel naturally, and, as a result, having not only a forbidden sexual relationship, but also a forbidden emotionnal and physical intimacy with them. The experiment thing just take that away. Suddenly it's not them, it's just the product of something that's added to their genes. Therefore we lose all the emotionnal and physical connection to them because it's fake, and we're left with only the sexual intercourses side of the taboo.

Taboos and fetishes are kinda complicated if we go that way too. In this case, even the incest fetish is not singular : there's a lot of different incest fetishes. There's people who stops at sex between family members and can go with that only, others prefer to add something of a romantic / emotionnal nature to it, others that prefer a more "realistic" emotionnal relationship with just the casual forbidden sex between family members etc etc.

It's about overcoming something you fear.

Take for example parachuting. Why would jumping out of an aircraft be interesting to do? Because it is scary! And therefore, if you did it, you overcame your fear.

If, for whatever reason, incestuous feelings would be totally normal and fine, then the taboo and fear of the consequences is gone and only the sex remains.
I don't think that's it about the fear, or at least not as you make it out to be. I mean the fear of the consequences remains, experiment or not. I think it's more about like you said about only the sex remains. Actually that's more about the fear of that. If only the sex remains because everything else feels fake, then either people stop enjoying the other aspects of the taboo (emotionnal and physical intimacy like I said) just because only sex is not what they want, OR they're afraid of still enjoying it even though only the sex remains. In both case, the over-reaction is still understandable.

This hypothetical genetic engineering took away the taboo and was therefore not a good idea.
Yes, that's really it. It took away a very important part of the overall taboo. Not entirely because forbidden sex would still be possible, but the other parts that I think people who played APAT and AMOB enjoyed too (or else they would have stop playing), which is as I said a little too much for my taste right now the emotionnal connection and intimacy between the girls and MC.

So yeah, that. Even works with fictionnal relationships too.

Yngling

Nov 15, 2020
it's also the taboo of the girls wanting to do stuff because it's just how they are and how they feel naturally, and, as a result, having not only a forbidden sexual relationship, but also a forbidden emotionnal and physical intimacy with them.
Exactly. What I loved about Petal among Thorns was how Petal was at the same time pressuring the MC into going further but at the same time also apprehensive about it. It felt, somehow, natural.

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
Finally played it. I downloaded the original version and then saw it all blow up so decided to play the old one to see what the fuss was about.

I....... get it I suppose? It's kinda of a weird way to take the story, in an update which has already had one weird revelation. This has been building up for a while because the brothers relationship with the dad was always a "what the fuck" moment in the last story as it really stood apart from the tone of Petal. It was a complete 180 in tone so it's obvious that was by design leading up to this but at the same time it's still a bit peculiar.

I think the shift in tone is really the issue here. The game seems to have a problem with being consistent in its story. It jumps from a lighthearted fooling about and then BAM here's some deep as fuck backstory involving rape or whatnot. And then i'm guessing it'll jump back with some jokes.

It's not where I would have taken the story, but then I'm not the driver here so my onion means little. If there had been a poll on patreon I'd have chosen a different option but it's not a democracy. It's a lad telling a story, and we're along for the ride.

kameohawk

Dec 16, 2017
I know some people here are saying he shouldn't have changed it, but to be fair, that's on him. At the end of the release Myrabelle does say "There were a lot of reveals in this release, and I know the story is getting a little wild. We're eager to hear your thoughts on the direction of the story" so people who think it's a bit too "wild" will of course air that

Ogre

Mar 29, 2018
I posted this as a review but realized I probably hove posted it as a comment instead.

Just one minor suggestion for Lockhart in case he reads this thread... (spoilers ahead)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Just my two cents. I don't make games, I just enjoy them. And people should be allowed to make the games they want to make. This game is a lot of fun exactly as it is already.

Alcibi

Jul 27, 2019
Did you perhaps unren the game? That's been known to break it.
I didn't myself but I may have played a version that had the scripts unrenned. At the very least, it wasn't the original linked in the OP but the compressed version linked here. I'm ashamed to say I didn't even try to check the original before posting about my issue, sorry about that.

I've played the original now and can confirm it works perfectly fine. Also, I didn't know unrenning a game can cause this kind of issue in general, so thanks for letting me know that as well, cheers.

tbarton1455

Mar 19, 2021
I posted this as a review but realized I probably hove posted it as a comment instead.

Just one minor suggestion for Lockhart in case he reads this thread... (spoilers ahead)

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Just my two cents. I don't make games, I just enjoy them. And people should be allowed to make the games they want to make. This game is a lot of fun exactly as it is already.
To be honest, Lockheart probably isn't actually in the D/S or BDSM scene. Just going with a D/S or BDSM Lite version that has the aspects of that lifestyle but not really delving too deep into it since the dev lacks knowledge/proper knowledge about that lifestyle. Maybe none, or too little, research being done on that lifestyle in general for it to get too in depth about a lot of that. It's definitely a good story, and I agree that those subtle nuances that you pointed out would make the story even deeper and better, plus fit more of the theme of a D/S/BDSM lifestyle, but that requires research if you don't actually partake.

PapaChulo

Jul 12, 2020
I didn't know it was a sequel when I started, that explains why it started with MC coming from a trip where he had already banged one of the girls and is now feeling guilty. that guilt doesn't last too long.

Sep 6, 2022
```
Im getting this anytime i try and check the messages on the MC Phone. Is there a way to fix this ?

While running game code:

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "chapters/1 chapter/7rudeawakening.rpyc", line 323, in script call
File "phone/core.rpyc", line 92, in script call
File "phone/apps/messages/messages.rpyc", line 137, in script
File "renpy/ast.py", line 1072, in execute
values = apply_arguments(self.parameters, renpy.store._args, renpy.store._kwargs)
File "renpy/ast.py", line 294, in apply_arguments
return parameters.apply(args, kwargs, ignore_errors)
File "renpy/ast.py", line 250, in apply
(expected, len(args)))

majdaddin

Nov 29, 2019
Im getting this anytime i try and check the messages on the MC Phone. Is there a way to fix this ?

While running game code:
I was getting that too. With and without decompiled code. I had to change code in label phone_loop in phone/core.rpy:

Code:
    elif True:
        call expression "phone_app_"+phone_app[0]+"_setup" pass (phone_app[1][0]) from _call_expression_3
        call expression "phone_app_"+phone_app[0]+"" pass (phone_app[1][0]) from _call_expression_4
The passed arguments were wrong (2 instead of 1, and wrong tuple keys). This works. For messages anyway. I don't know about other phone menus.

Reactions: Soolers
Sep 6, 2022
I was getting that too. With and without decompiled code. I had to change code in label phone_loop in phone/core.rpy:

Code:
    elif True:
        call expression "phone_app_"+phone_app[0]+"_setup" pass (phone_app[1][0]) from _call_expression_3
        call expression "phone_app_"+phone_app[0]+"" pass (phone_app[1][0]) from _call_expression_4
The passed arguments were wrong (2 instead of 1, and wrong tuple keys). This works. For messages anyway. I don't know about other phone menus.
Im new to these games so i really have no clue where you would edit anything..

4.10 star(s) 65 Votes