ename144

Engaged Member
Sep 20, 2018
I've played through the first two chapters, though there's still some content I haven't seen. Overall I liked it and definitely want to see more, but I have some concerns.

On the plus side, the dialog is nice, the models are pretty and the animations are very good. The music is familiar, but used to good effect. I like the transparent choice mechanics (though the outcomes can still be confusing, particularly the chance to switch to Photography 201) The cast has nice variation, both in physique and philosophy, and the characters feel pretty credible; BDSM isn't my thing, but Paloma's scene was actually kinda fun. I really enjoyed getting to know the girls (and Kevon), and I suspect I would be very amenable to watching the MC make his way through college with them. Above all else, I really like the way some of the girls play up the romantic angle, which is depressingly hard to find.

But on the minus side, it's really hard not to be distracted by the kidnapped girl plotline. The game puts that plotline front and center, but for the life of me I don't see a satisfying way to pay it off. If we end it quickly it feels like it was overdramatized; if we leave it running in the background it will eventually gut the fun of the college antics; even if we hit the theoretical sweet spot, I'm not convinced we could re-integrate the victim into the narrative without her effectively upstaging any other subplots. And while I like the choice mechanics, it's hard to avoid the metagame aspects if you happen to be aiming for one of the potential kidnap victims.

I don't want to overstate my concerns; as I said, I liked the game. But I do think this game is playing with fire (Acting Lessons pun unintended but inevitable). Since the sleepover with Natalie is one of my favorite AVN moments to date, it would be a tremendous shame if the game can't stick the landing.

So good luck, devs; you'll definitely need it!

rodneyeatme

Jul 19, 2017
That was a bit jarring, going through Paloma's: "No, I'd hate that" > "Smother yourself instead" > "I'll smack you ass, sure" > "Punishment? LOL GTFO" > "Seriously, you aren't getting to fuck my ass with some wobbly rubber donger" > "I hope the hair dryer falls into your tub at bath time" x 500, after reloading a save when seeing a "THIS IS AN IMPORTANT CHOICE" pop up, implying I'll be spending the rest of the game getting tied up and fucked if I follow through with this pervert if I don't hit the eject button.

Then, the very next scene is Professor Mommy telling me I'm a bad boy and will be punished for my many crimes, regardless of whether I told Paloma, "I'm gay, please never contact me again," or not.

Seems I didn't take that femdom tag seriously enough.

damnmalic

May 29, 2021
That was a bit jarring, going through Paloma's: "No, I'd hate that" > "Smother yourself instead" > "I'll smack you ass, sure" > "Punishment? LOL GTFO" > "Seriously, you aren't getting to fuck my ass with some wobbly rubber donger" > "I hope the hair dryer falls into your tub at bath time" x 500, after reloading a save when seeing a "THIS IS AN IMPORTANT CHOICE" pop up, implying I'll be spending the rest of the game getting tied up and fucked if I follow through with this pervert if I don't hit the eject button.

Then, the very next scene is Professor Mommy telling me I'm a bad boy and will be punished for my many crimes, regardless of whether I told Paloma, "I'm gay, please never contact me again," or not.

Seems I didn't take that femdom tag seriously enough.
Same it really seems like there's going to be some forced femdom which is a big nope for me. I prefer my MC's not to be little wimps.

Leo Humilis

May 4, 2020
Same it really seems like there's going to be some forced femdom which is a big nope for me. I prefer my MC's not to be little wimps.
No one's forcing you to pursue either Paloma's or Monica's paths if femdom is not your thing, both seem to be totally avoidable

Abhai

Devoted Member
Sep 12, 2018
The reason I say it seems forced is because of MC's inner monologue about how it turns him on.
havent noticed that in my game :unsure:
generally speaking such "inner monologues" are quite common in most, if not in all, games.

i hope more devs drop it (unless we are talking of simple KNs) as the players should have possibility to choose their own turn-ons, kinks and ultimately girls, even if we are speaking about thoughts or monologues.

unfortunately for now, we have something like "omg, she is so hot, i like her a lot", then we have option to ignore/drop or whatever way could be to avoid interactions with XYZ chick...just to be presented with the same "omg, she turns me on, i would bang her 1/1" thoughts upon new encounter:HideThePain:
(not talking about this game, yet in general terms)

Leo Humilis

May 4, 2020
The reason I say it seems forced is because of MC's inner monologue about how it turns him on.
havent noticed that in my game :unsure:
I haven't noticed either... but then again, given my personal preferences, Paloma's and Monica's paths were the most appealing for me, LOL. Still, as far as I could see, the dev provided plenty of red flags and ample options to back out for players who may not be into that sort of things.

I actually wish there was this kind of choice for more "vanilla" scenes (e.g. I enjoyed Sara's cowgirl scene, but I didn't enjoy at all the MC being forced to cum on her face).

Last edited:
Reactions: Abhai

Leo Humilis

May 4, 2020
P.S. I like how the dev of Nothing is Forever solves this problem. While the game caters to a wide variety of sexual preferences and kinks, the "skills" mechanics gives the player complete control of what type of content they want or do not want to see; there is no assumption that everyone would be ok with the stuff generally considered "vanilla"... all types of sexual preferences are treated the same, no matter how "vanilla" or "kinky" such things are generally viewd.

KiraJames

Dec 5, 2017
Here is the Multi-Mod for A Shot in the Dark [v0.15] [ViM Studios]
**Make sure to make multiple saves. You can't get all girls with single playthrough!**
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Download:
Mega
Support me on my or

View attachment 2006375 View attachment 2006376 View attachment 2006377 View attachment 2006378 View attachment 2006379 View attachment 2006380 View attachment 2006381
Hey, if you have time can you update this mod?

connor1518

Apr 6, 2022
This one has serious potential, I hope the Dev keeps at it. Normally I gravitate towards more romantic story lines but this is looking interesting. I was bummed though that one of my early favorite girl was kidnapped and beaten. I hope there is some serious payback! Aunt looks good also and I look forward to meeting the cousin.

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Chapter 3 (V0.25) of A Shot in the Dark is also coming along nicely. We have some new features planned for the new update, which we will talk about more in future dev logs.

The attached preview of Delia is just a small taste of what's to come in Chapter 3. Delia is the only love interest who hasn't had her own lewd scenes yet, but we have some very special scenes planned for her in Chapter 3!

Don't forget to vote in the current poll for which outfit you'd like to see Natalie wear in Chapter 3! (A Shot in the Dark POLL: Natalie outfit for Chapter 3)

Noxyfoxy

Sep 23, 2020
Looks like the Mod of this one has become an abandoned child. Maybe, someone else could adopt it?
No not at all im pretty sure DA doesn't do mods for beta versions and as the full version of .2 isnt released yet on here there is no mod update

• Sad
Reactions: Punto

desmosome

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2018
There definitely seems to be a femdom slant. I mean, I get that the MC is a virgin loser who is trying to start fresh in college, but it goes way beyond a shy guy and into an actively submissive little boy territory. With Paloma, it seems fine, as that whole text exchange seems like it's essentially a huge red flag to let the players know this chick is about hardcore femdom so they can back out.

Monica is a harder pill to swallow. If you build her points in the hopes of banging the hot teacher (and move to 201), you will suddenly be confronted with the talk in her office where she springs femdom on the MC and he automatically responds as a male sub. I'm not sure if moving to class 201 is a requirement to get on her route, but we had no way of knowing that the only relationship dynamic possible with her would be a femdom one when making that choice.

I just think there is a slight disconnect. At least there was for me. MC's naturally submissive and masochistic nature was news to me during these back to back Paloma + Monica scenes because even if you don't commit to those routes after learning about the femdon, the MC's character has already displayed major submissive tendencies. Monica's route flavor could have been telegraphed a bit more before we made significant route decisions (which inadvertently leads to the MC acting like a submissive boy).

Last edited:

Leo Humilis

May 4, 2020
yeah DA doesn't do "betas". It doesn't matter if the dev never removed the tag and is working on v0.25 3 months later. As long as the word "Beta" is in the title DA wont touch it. even though the actual file is the "market" version
So much betacial discrimination :unsure:

4.30 star(s) 57 Votes