Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
1698566036275.png
This week, it's all about A Shot in the Dark
Game Development
The last two weeks have still been focused on making renders. The big scene that was in progress last dev log is now complete with 369 renders! The current render count overall for the update is 1,033. Here are some Sara renders that were made this week:

1698566246898.png
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

This update will definitely be bigger than past updates, but some of that is because we've restructured the remaining chapters to be larger but less frequent (12 Chapters of content will ultimately be condensed to ~9 updates, we will likely continue to call each update a "Chapter" for simplicity's sake). We know this is never what players want to hear, but it was somewhat inevitable with a game as complex as A Shot in the Dark.

When we sat down and did the math a few months ago, we realized that every update we spend 4-6 weeks just getting the update out (putting all the content together, testing, making builds for the various platforms, etc). This will only be compounded once every update has to be translated and localized. We estimate that restructuring this way will actually save us ~6 months development time, so we will get to the end of the game sooner, which is our ultimate goal!

Steam Next Fest
is a multi-day celebration of upcoming games where you can explore and play hundreds of demos, choose from dozens of livestreams to watch, and chat with developers about their games.

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
1698870885614.png
This week, it's all about A Shot in the Dark
1698870972527.png

Josselyn is still cranking away at renders, with the current count now at 1,289. Since last dev log she has completed all the renders for the Sara scene (see the for previews of that scene), all the renders for a story scene involving Kevon and Sara (see the previews below for this week), and has started on the renders for the Sophie scene (which will be the previews for next dev log).
1698871063354.png
It won't come as a huge surprise that coding and animations for Chapter 4 of A Shot in the Dark have largely been on hold the past month while TheOmega has focused on getting the last update of Prince of Suburbia ready for Early Release (happening right now) and then ready for Steam release (in November).

It's looking like our hope of having Chapter 4 ready in time for the Steam release in December is increasingly unlikely... Which is disappointing, but as always we will do the best we can with what we have. There's a lot we could say about why this is. We've decided it would be easier to discuss in our rather than try to write out in words. So, keep an eye out for that episode coming soon!

EdgeOfShadow

Sep 24, 2017
Just tried this game and after going through the party I've quit. Why almost every single response from MC is a choice? Just why?

Other than that it seemed good, one other thing I disliked was sex scenes being an animation player format instead of a scene, but thats a matter of personal taste I guess and it wasn't a deal breaker like the first issue.

Reactions: Grelk

Darkenning

Sep 2, 2020
Just tried this game and after going through the party I've quit. Why almost every single response from MC is a choice? Just why?
... I don't understand the question. Do you not want to make choices about what your character thinks? Do you wish for others to make them for you?

EdgeOfShadow

Sep 24, 2017
... I don't understand the question. Do you not want to make choices about what your character thinks?
No, hell no. I want to make choices about what he does or how he behaves, what he thinks is mostly irrelevant.

Do you wish for others to make them for you?
They already do as you can only select one of two predetermined options.

• Haha
Reactions: Grelk

Slick Bean

Sep 9, 2023
1702585619154.png

Since the the last dev log, Josselyn finished writing the last lewd scene (Delia) and one of the shorter story scenes. Only three small scenes remain to be written, and should be finished before the next dev log. Right now the total word count for the update is 58K words. The update is likely going to be around ~60-65K words, which is similar to Chapter 3 (~55K words) and Chapter 2 (which was ~60K words split into two updates).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Renders for the Natalie scene are almost complete and the current render count for the update is 1,583. Here are some previews from that scene!
1702585686131.png
1702585774238.png

DeFuZe

Jul 26, 2018
Congrats for the Steam release. Got both the game and guide dlc to support and wish you the best of luck in developing future chapters. Totally worth it and also I'm so glad the steam version is not split into books/seasons/parts like some other games.

Reactions: Joshy92 and bufa
4.30 star(s) 57 Votes