Old Dog

Formerly 'Old Sea Dog'
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I really hope he doesn't. What he needs to do is get this down to 1 day per update and reducing renders/dialogue would go a long way towards achieving this as would reducing the number of events per day. Instead of half-days being almost 1000 renders, the whole day should be 1000 renders.

Mini-updates, whether they be for each event or for different times of the day (morning, afternoon, evening) are a bad idea because people would get even more annoyed if, after waiting 2 months, they get one or 2 events and the update only takes about 20-30 minutes. A full day of 1000 or so renders lasting one whole hour would be far more preferable and I believe that they can and should do this.

And you can also say more in 4 words than you can in 10, so cutting out non-essential dialogue and making things more focused will hopefully help things.

See, this is what a lot of this is about. Getting a biology lesson in an adult VN or seeing a single shot of her in a dentist's chair is totally unnecessary. I get that L&P has said they want to do something that's more "artistic", but they can do that with their renders and by the story their telling, it doesn't mean showing superfluous scenes and writing paragraphs of unnecessary dialogue. If L&P tried to pitch what's in the game currently as a script for film or TV, at least half of it would get tossed out for being pointless filler.

Yes, an editor would be just what's needed because as ashitanojoe pointed out, there's a lot of unnecessary scenes and dialogue in this game and an editor could really help to identify what does and doesn't need to be included. Hell, I'd volunteer to do it pro-bono if it would help things along by reducing some of the fat.
What L&P has written so far I think that he may cut down on the renders,the drive to the yoga event from Sophia's house was 180 renders, and he has already said that he will cut the amount of renders needed for the Morrello meeting.
So cutting down on the renders and dialog may help to improve things but as for mini updates I have not made my mind up on that one.

Reactions: Alley_Cat

Ajavrick

May 25, 2020
Before each choice in the game, the author usually gives a large text that shows Soрhia's thoughts at the moment. And these are the main points in the game that give the player the illusion of conscious choice, this is the specifics of the game, which the author is unlikely to exclude... otherwise, it will be a completely different game... Do you want to get another game?

Feb 7, 2018
726770_Capture.png

The master of excuses strikes again :FacePalm:

Dude, the year is 2020 - games are already 100-180GB to download, and "at the end" of AWAM the year will be 2030 (at best), and we all will be at least on a 10Gb fiber by then.
Right now I'm on a 300 Mbps fiber for like 12 USD / month (1Gbps cost 17 USD / month) - believe me - 20-30GB is nothing - even today. Beside, you can always release updates as diffs.

edit:typo

Last edited:

PietruccioTheHilander

Forum Fanatic
Jul 17, 2019
View attachment 712975

Dude, the year is 2020 - games are already 100-180GB to download, and "at the end" of AWAM the year will be 2030 (at best), and we all will be at least on a 10Gb fiber by then.
Right now I'm on a 300 Mbps fiber for like 12 USD / month (1Gbps cost 17 USD / month) - believe me - 20-30GB is nothing - even today. Beside, you can always release the updates as a diff.
another demonstration of broken promises, which you write to do your goals if you don't keep them? sun teased unreliable and unwary; suffice make sole patch updates and download the whole game 1 single time. excuses, lies and second thoughts.

Deleted member 1023239

Nov 19, 2018
View attachment 712975

Right now I'm on a 300 Mbps fiber for like 12 USD / month (1Gbps cost 17 USD / month) - believe me - 20-30GB is nothing - even today. Beside, you can always release updates as diffs.

pity me, i downloaded 40gb of xbox one game it took me 3-4 hour to finish

lockerxx

Conversation Conqueror
May 10, 2017
View attachment 712975

oh yes everbody loves to download 100-120 GB for a four hours game.

RChandler

Dec 1, 2019
OK, my wife actually wants to play this one, so we downloaded from the Mega link, got a AWAM-0095-pc.rar file that is 2,741,071,639 bytes in size. However, uncompressing it gives a corrupt or damaged archive message. Tried using another download link on the first page and got the exact same results. We play a lot of these games and so we know how to download and uncompress etc. (in fact, I'm a freelance writer and I'm putting together an article on "the best" of these type of sexual visual novels.) Can someone point out what we're doing wrong? Long time advanced PC user here. Thanks.

Deleted member 1023239

Nov 19, 2018
4 hours of static image

OK, my wife actually wants to play this one, so we downloaded from the Mega link, got a AWAM-0095-pc.rar file that is 2,741,071,639 bytes in size. However, uncompressing it gives a corrupt or damaged archive message. Tried using another download link on the first page and got the exact same results. We play a lot of these games and so we know how to download and uncompress etc. (in fact, I'm a freelance writer and I'm putting together an article on "the best" of these type of sexual visual novels.) Can someone point out what we're doing wrong? Long time advanced PC user here. Thanks.
use 7zip

Old Dog

Formerly 'Old Sea Dog'
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
Have you updated winrar or used winzip?

RainMan92

Apr 23, 2018
Looks like not that advanced...

RChandler

Dec 1, 2019
Looks like not that advanced...
LOL! Sure looks like a rookie mistake! Actually, using a version of an advanced file management program that I am reviewing for ExtremeTech and it has decompression built in, and I've unzipped probably 100 files with it in the last two weeks with no problem. So this helps me with that also, just sent the developers of the program an email telling them they need to look at their decompression routines. So thanks. ;)

Feb 7, 2018
Are you suggesting AWAM at the end will be a four hour game?

You don't understand. There is almost none free file hostings that allow to upload big sized files.
Professional (99.90%), hosting with an unlimited bandwidth costs ~150 USD / YEAR (it's 0.156% of his current income from the game)!
If it's still too much, like I said, release updates as diffs.

Leldorin

Nov 22, 2019
Though I haven't played AWAM in year(s), I can still tell the game is being bogged down by minutia. Even L&P have stated as such at times. It's fine here and there occasionally when one is "trying something out", but not to the point of stagnation or all the time.

I've followed the game's thread on and off, and I still feel like I haven't missed much of anything since I last played. I don't want to disparage L&P on what is clearly a passion project, but the game really needs significant, forward progress with its plot.

That's a direct quote and one heck of a pitch! It's straight-forward, earnest, and has clearly defined goals. I'm all for it! It's what brought a lot of fans to the game. From this and other details (i.e., "showing too much [too early] ruins the suspense") I get that it's going to be a slow burn game with wonderful CG pieces to illustrate its well-crafted story. Fantastic! Let's do it!

But, and with all due respect, there's a world of difference between "slow burn" and "no burn". And, what ever happened to the "lust and passion" part that's emphasized by the author in the statement above? I mean, yeah, we get a lot of build up, a lot of tease, a lot of insight to the characters, subtle hints at possible consequences, but little in the way of actual payoff, imho. It's just too much for too little. One of the funding goals of the project was to hire someone that would assist with the project. It appears that has been left by the wayside, unfortunately. I don't know about you guys, but if L&P ever decides to look for someone, then I hope it isn't someone whose sole purpose is being a coder, or a writer, or even an artist. I'd like to see someone that is primarily an Editor.

An editor can help refine the story, cut away excess fat, point out things that's unnecessary, and help drive and push that plot forward. Someone that can organize, look at that "big picture", and help adjust the flow and pace of the story. Authors can sometimes get too close to their "baby". Sometimes they are unable or unwilling to see things in a different perspective that can point a light on decremental portions of a project. For instance, if you wanted to read a book that is about a knight that slays a dragon, but the author extensively wrote thirty-seven pages about a houseplant in great detail in the knight's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate's home that absolutely has nothing to do with anything about anything with the dragonslayer story, then that would be something that must be culled from the book despite any objections by said author.

Realistically, I don't see this happening, of course -- hiring an editor, I mean. In fact, I don't see L&P bringing anyone on at the moment. I certainly do not mean to come off as overly critical or harsh in any way. *Sighs* It's just that I want to see things moving forward, with purpose, towards that finish line in the distance. However, I feel like this game is drowning its audience under the weight of, well, just too much unnecessary stuff really. Sometimes less *is* more.

Not everyone will share this view about reducing waste and being more efficient, of course, and that's okay! You can disagree and say more (without any reduction of renders or dialogues) is better because it's more "aesthetic and realistic". Those on this side of the fence will still respect you. Just putting out some thoughts, that's all. We can all agree that we all want to see this project succeed though, yes no? Be safe, folks! Stay excellent to one another.
I wonder what the self defense lesson for Dylan will be like... « Alright kid , when you grab your opponent, put a pressure on his elbow between this two bones : the maxilex pulex and the rotoflax datum . The contorsion of the 26 ligaments that I will now explain in detail... ». Prepare for 50 renders of anatomy.

Old Dog

Formerly 'Old Sea Dog'
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I wonder what the self defense lesson for Dylan will be like... « Alright kid , when you grab your opponent, put a pressure on his elbow between this two bones : the maxilex pulex and the rotoflax datum . The contorsion of the 26 ligaments that I will now explain in detail... ». Prepare for 50 renders of anatomy.
Or he could just hit him with a brick,or even shoot him

3.20 star(s) 466 Votes