Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
That's right.
But L&P's desire to stop piracy is a big waste of time. I think the delay in updating is also due to his interest in implementing the new update system.
Oh, I totally agree on both points.

L&P, who is clearly and obviously and not even carefully, breaking Patreon rules, is wasting time and energy getting bent out of shape that an image was shared on pirate sites. He's as much a pirate as any of us here and the complete lack of self-awareness is kind of shocking.

I agree that the delay is very likely due to the update system: he posted he needed someone experienced with Renpy and Python, when called out on it he said it was for Decisions of Life implementation. Well that's ridiculous, obviously you don' need Python or anything even approaching advanced Renpy to implement DOL or AWAM - it's a pretty basic set of "if this then that" boolean tests with some points checks thrown in.

Reactions: Toushiro and nexer

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
Problem with him complaining about copyright issues is that he's broken them himself, sam wears a tommy hillfiger shirt in game, there's pictures in dylan's and sam's bedroom of acdc, pink floyd, the beatles, barcelona fc ect all who I doubt gave permission to be in a game like this, and that's even assuming that he's paid for all the assets he uses in game
The hypocrisy is really crazy, to be sure. And, crazier still, what red-blooded German prefers Barcelona over Bayern Munich?

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
It is not a paid teaser, even if you keep saying it for the 1000 time.
The Patreon system is not a marketplace. You're not "buying" the teaser, hence it is not overpriced.
If you're a 30$ Patreon, then you are supporting the dev with 30$ Patronage, that's it. L&P specifically described why this teaser is for 30$ Patrons only (and it wasn't described as hot by him). If however, you or anyone else feels tempted and pays 30$ only to get the teaser, then the fault here is on you, not the system.
Apparently, you and L&P see spoiler images as two different things. You wrote in one of your posts that spoiler image is like an advertisement. Clearly, L&P thinks differently than you. By his comments in the past, he hate spoilers. I guess he only gives them to his Patrons to keep them sane during the long desert.
I think it's a bit mixed. He doesn't want pirates. Why not? Because he thinks he's losing money. OK.
But, if the teaser is only for patrons, how will you attract more patrons?
Still, I don't think the pirates are to blame. DrPink has 13,000 patrons :unsure:

Reactions: Toushiro

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
the game "Star Citizen" suffers from the same problem as AWAM. Glacial pace of development, committed Devs, but without any hint of awareness of what to do now and to do later. For instance, in one of the last updates for SC the Homecity of the player got a functioning Underground system with, I Think, 3 lines. Great stuff, but SC is about going out with your trusty Spaceship where no man has gone before and adventure. Problem is, that even after several years of Development the "going into Space and adventure" part of SC is very light on content. See the similarities to AWAM, even if the genre is different?

XaGnard

Aug 11, 2018
Oh, I totally agree on both points.

L&P, who is clearly and obviously and not even carefully, breaking Patreon rules, is wasting time and energy getting bent out of shape that an image was shared on pirate sites. He's as much a pirate as any of us here and the complete lack of self-awareness is kind of shocking.

I agree that the delay is very likely due to the update system: he posted he needed someone experienced with Renpy and Python, when called out on it he said it was for Decisions of Life implementation. Well that's ridiculous, obviously you don' need Python or anything even approaching advanced Renpy to implement DOL or AWAM - it's a pretty basic set of "if this then that" boolean tests with some points checks thrown in.
Ultimately, this game is his intellectual property. That some here decide to ignore this do not change this fact. Also, the alleged breach of the Patreon regulations are ultimately no real justification.

In any case, L&P could make it a lot harder for people not patreons to get timely access to his game. An in game update system is certainly one path in this direction. Sure, Python itself is not really good at keeping source code secret. That's why I suspect even an in game update system will ultimately be challanged, but all this take time and someone has to do it.

It will be interesting in any case. :cool:

roro

May 29, 2017
This whole copyright thing is a non-issue. Firstly, L&P basically sold something for a price. So any patron who is subscribed to his Patreon account is a buyer. So legally once the sale has been made the buyer is the owner of the product and can do anything with it (share it or resell it). At least that is how I understand. I might be wrong. If so I wouldn't mind being educated.
Of course it's an issue. When you buy a piece of software, music, film, image or whatever, you are only buying the right to view it, listen to it or read it, not distribute it to the masses. if you distribute it without the creator's permission, you are commiting a crime.

Reactions: Bane71

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
Ultimately, this game is his intellectual property. That some here decide to ignore this do not change this fact. Also, the alleged breach of the Patreon regulations are ultimately no real justification.

In any case, L&P could make it a lot harder for people not patreons to get timely access to his game. An in game update system is certainly one path in this direction. Sure, Python itself is not really good at keeping source code secret. That's why I suspect even an in game update system will ultimately be challanged, but all this take time and someone has to do it.

It will be interesting in any case. :cool:
What will happen? Will he use 1 big .rpa file or more then one? The update will need administrator access, right, otherwise the antivirus. It will download a file, unrpa the old file, rewrite a few files, and then re-rpa again.
I assume a password will appear somewhere.

This is time consuming, and I'm starting to think that the delay is also due to that.

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
It is not a paid teaser, even if you keep saying it for the 1000 time.
The Patreon system is not a marketplace. You're not "buying" the teaser, hence it is not overpriced.
If you're a 30$ Patreon, then you are supporting the dev with 30$ Patronage, that's it. L&P specifically described why this teaser is for 30$ Patrons only (and it wasn't described as hot by him). If however, you or anyone else feels tempted and pays 30$ only to get the teaser, then the fault here is on you, not the system.
Apparently, you and L&P see spoiler images as two different things. You wrote in one of your posts that spoiler image is like an advertisement. Clearly, L&P thinks differently than you. By his comments in the past, he hate spoilers. I guess he only gives them to his Patrons to keep them sane during the long desert.
Chummer, I am not a total freeloader, getting the games once the free version becomes available, I did and do patron various books and games over time! I know how Patreon likes to paint itself, as some new version of the patronage system of old. But I think you yourself know in your heart of hearts that the patreons doing the patronage system are a small minority! For the majority (and this is implicitely understood by most patrons and developers and even Patreon itself) it is some type of marketplace, just more loosely. More along the lines "I give you money now, you give me this or that someday", instead of "here is the money, give me X".
So there is some kind of price tag, just not spoken openly about it.

The hypocrisy is really crazy, to be sure. And, crazier still, what red-blooded German prefers Barcelona over Bayern Munich?
Hell, even supporting the FC Blaubach would be better than supporting a Mercenary peacock Club like Barca!

XaGnard

Aug 11, 2018
What will happen? Will he use 1 big .rpa file or more then one? The update will need administrator access, right, otherwise the antivirus. It will download a file, unrpa the old file, rewrite a few files, and then re-rpa again.
I assume a password will appear somewhere.

This is time consuming, and I'm starting to think that the delay is also due to that.

I don't know what L&P is planning, but I think the most obvious approach is to use the functionality that already exists:

To what extent the whole thing can be adapted to his needs, I can not say.

I guess, at some point L&P will move to event-based updates. There will certainly be a lot of approval for this, at least from most of his supporters. However, I think that this will ultimately lead to the development being dragged out even more, as many small updates will tempt him to give each individual update even more attention.

Personally, I like the approach DrPinkCake uses for "Being a DIK". However, the two developers differ greatly in their attitudes in relation to there supporters and this forum. It's interesting that DrPinkCake updates also take a long time, but I never have the feeling that he's planning something too ambitious for him to actually finish it as well.

roro

May 29, 2017
Chummer, I am not a total freeloader, getting the games once the free version becomes available, I did and do patron various books and games over time! I know how Patreon likes to paint itself, as some new version of the patronage system of old. But I think you yourself know in your heart of hearts that the patreons doing the patronage system are a small minority! For the majority (and this is implicitely understood by most patrons and developers and even Patreon itself) it is some type of marketplace, just more loosely. More along the lines "I give you money now, you give me this or that someday", instead of "here is the money, give me X".
So there is some kind of price tag, just not spoken openly about it.
How Patreon is perceived by some people isn't relevant here. I know, from my own experience, just as everyone else here, how hard resisting temptation can be (hope it's the right english phrase). The fact this month 30$ patrons get a teaser doesn't mean this teaser is for sale for 30$. If you think it does, then how can you explain the 30$ patronage some patrons payed for the last 4-5 months? What did they get in return? If one can't help himself but get a quick fix in the form of an image teaser and pays 30$ to get it - that's his fault.

I don't remember L&P refers this teaser as hot. can you find it, because when you say it (multiple times), people believe it's true, and I totally agree that if he did hype this teaser as a hot one - that would have been misleading to say the least. As far as I can tell, he never even hyped this teaser, except in a post for his already 30$ Patrons, but not as hot, it was "hyped" as a spoiler - ie in what can be deducted from it...

Last edited:

Tyger Tyger

May 17, 2021
Problem with him complaining about copyright issues is that he's broken them himself, sam wears a tommy hillfiger shirt in game, there's pictures in dylan's and sam's bedroom of acdc, pink floyd, the beatles, barcelona fc ect all who I doubt gave permission to be in a game like this, and that's even assuming that he's paid for all the assets he uses in game
If he doesn't pay all these entities a licensing fee to use their products, then would/could that be considered copyright infringement? And are there time constraints on how long something like this can be shown before it enters the copyright infringement arena? I don't know the legalities of it, so I'm just asking!

Tyger Tyger

May 17, 2021
How Patreon is perceived by some people isn't relevant here. I know, from my own experience, just as everyone else here, how hard resisting temptation can be (hope it's the right english phrase). The fact this month 30$ patrons get a teaser doesn't mean this teaser is for sale for 30$. If you think it does, then how can you explain the 30$ patronage some patrons payed for the last 4-5 months? What did they get in return? If one can't help himself but get a quick fix in the form of an image teaser and pays 30$ to get it - that's his fault.

I don't remember L&P refers this teaser as hot. can you find it, because when you say it (multiple times), people believe it's true, and I totally agree that if he did hype this teaser as a hot one - that would have been misleading to say the least. As far as I can tell, he never even hyped this teaser, except in a post for his already 30$ Patrons, but not as hot, it was "hyped" as a spoiler - ie in what can be deducted from it...
Whatever the reasons for all the teasers, delays, and spoilers there are, or how good, bad, or indifferent they are - it all has "marketing value". L&P and AWAM come out "golden". Yes? No?

XaGnard

Aug 11, 2018
Peeping Tom :unsure:
Honestly, I think that this preview image offers a lot of possibilities for Dylan. I guess, Nahalie is waiting to enter the house to do her work (using her adequate work outfit) which should give Dylan (not Sam) some new perspectives on working life itself ... ;)

I guess, the combination of this three has a lot of potential to finally give the story some progress, but I think the event will end up relatively mild. L&P's previews usually seem to the hint on more than he ultimately delivers.

At the same time, it has to be said that Dylan really needs to make some progress in his story compared to his sister. So maybe, ... he will get to see something more than just naked skin this time ... or not ...:ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Wedstone
3.20 star(s) 462 Votes