GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
Don't know about it much, Is 1000 renders huge?
1,000 renders is one of the largest updates ever, and considering the change in the scope of updates (each update use to be half of a day, now it's a third of a day- so smaller) 1,000 renders for 1/3 of a day is MASSIVE. Only part 2 of Playable Day 11 is larger, and that was for half a day.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
Don't know about it much, Is 1000 renders huge?
Yes, that's a heck of a lot. However, L&P is known (perhaps notorious?) for things like,
  • taking the exact same poses and settings, moving the camera a few inches and rotating it a few degrees, and making a new render
  • as above, but moving one or two props, changing shadows and highlights with minor tweaks to the lighting system and making a new render
  • as above, and above, but also changing the tilt of the head, how open the mouth and/or eyes are, moving a hand here and there and making a new render
While all of these tactics do add more depth and texture to the overall experience and make it more immersive it's questionable whether there is a positive tradeoff between level of effort and amount of improvement. I think some of us would prefer it if he just stuck to a storyboarded plan based on the script as written, reviewed it after he's finished and then added where "something's missing". His actual process is to just jump in and get bogged down in detail after detail thinking this is making everything better. His comments here are evidence enough that he genuinely believes more = better no matter what.

Having been a creative type in a past life I fully appreciate this is definitely a very, hmmm, freeing? liberating? empowering? way of working. But I also discovered that it can quickly degrade into a self-indulgent and masturbatory way of working. When this happens the rewarding experience of being in the process is enhanced but the work itself becomes fairly obviously overworked and fussed over, lacking freshness or inspiration or direction.

Two thoughts on that:
  1. I think L&P is definitely in that mode of working now and the ratio of production time to renders to story advancement reflects this, his [edit] productivity output [/edit] is way up but his progress is way down.
  2. I think L&P has enough Patreon supporters that he's earned that freedom to do as he sees fit, follow his impulses and desires without having to pay any attention to any of the criticism or take on any of the advice on offer. Fair play, he's earned it and who wouldn't want a situation where you earn a comfortable living working on your own project with total control and without any restrictions. It kind of is the dream scenario, right?

Last edited:

Alley_Cat

Devoted Member
Jul 20, 2019
is there an chance to get update this weekend '?' :unsure::unsure::eek:

that would be so fucking nice¨¨¨!!
Not really. With 20% left to go and 5% per day, that takes us to Sunday, but L&P will still need a few more days for bug testing, especially with the new features. So Tuesday or Wednesday is far more likely.

That said, it also depends on the time zone you're in, as to whether it'll be worth playing. For me I think last update came in 4am Monday morning.

Cold brew

Jul 20, 2020
who decides when a contribution does not comply with the rules . and who then deletes the post . please give my answer.
Moderators. They have full discretion and no commitment to explain why other than citing the rule violated.

I had six or seven posts deleted as off-topic yesterday, but I suspect most of that was because it was a casualty of a post I was responding to getting deleted, so all subsequent back-and-forth was also deleted. You don’t even get an indication of which post was deleted so this could have been stuff from several days ago, I dunno.

But I do know that it’s all good, no big deal, just move on to the next comment or topic that piques your interest.
I also had on topic posts deleted for being off topic.
I am starting to suspect that Dylan has something to do with it. ;)

BUCCO

Feb 20, 2020
Yes, that's a heck of a lot. However, L&P is known (perhaps notorious?) for things like,
  • taking the exact same poses and settings, moving the camera a few inches and rotating it a few degrees, and making a new render
  • as above, but moving one or two props, changing shadows and highlights with minor tweaks to the lighting system and making a new render
  • as above, and above, but also changing the tilt of the head, how open the mouth and/or eyes are, moving a hand here and there and making a new render
While all of these tactics do add more depth and texture to the overall experience and make it more immersive it's questionable whether there is a positive tradeoff between level of effort and amount of improvement. I think some of us would prefer it if he just stuck to a storyboarded plan based on the script as written, reviewed it after he's finished and then added where "something's missing". His actual process is to just jump in and get bogged down in detail after detail thinking this is making everything better. His comments here are evidence enough that he genuinely believes more = better no matter what.

Having been a creative type in a past life I fully appreciate this is definitely a very, hmmm, freeing? liberating? empowering? way of working. But I also discovered that it can quickly degrade into a self-indulgent and masturbatory way of working. When this happens the rewarding experience of being in the process is enhanced but the work itself becomes fairly obviously overworked and fussed over, lacking freshness or inspiration or direction.

Two thoughts on that:
  1. I think L&P is definitely in that mode of working now and the ratio of production time to renders to story advancement reflects this, his [edit] productivity output [/edit] is way up but his progress is way down.
  2. I think L&P has enough Patreon supporters that he's earned that freedom to do as he sees fit, follow his impulses and desires without having to pay any attention to any of the criticism or take on any of the advice on offer. Fair play, he's earned it and who wouldn't want a situation where you earn a comfortable living working on your own project with total control and without any restrictions. It kind of is the dream scenario, right?
huh, that was great, so I don't remember how creative you were in a past life, but in this life you are definitely creative. maybe Dev will come down from the sky to give you a like. nice! ❤

Reactions: Talcum Powder

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
huh, that was great, so I don't remember how creative you were in a past life, but in this life you are definitely creative. maybe Dev will come down from the sky to give you a like. nice! ❤
Thanks! Yeah, I bitch and moan a lot and want that punk Dylan to keep his grimy hands off my mom and I definitely DO NOT want to know what's going on in his head, but I fucking love this game, it's amazing.

lockerxx

Conversation Conqueror
May 10, 2017
Not really. With 20% left to go and 5% per day, that takes us to Sunday, but L&P will still need a few more days for bug testing, especially with the new features. So Tuesday or Wednesday is far more likely.

That said, it also depends on the time zone you're in, as to whether it'll be worth playing. For me I think last update came in 4am Monday morning.
i don´t know LP did a little of bug testing in the first events he already finished.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018
i don´t know LP did a little of bug testing in the first events he already finished.
Almost certainly did, but he would still need to do end-to-end testing to ensure consistency throughout. That's another thing that's going to exacerbate the development problems: so many branches means so much more testing is required.

Reactions: Alley_Cat

BUCCO

Feb 20, 2020
Thanks! Yeah, I bitch and moan a lot and want that punk Dylan to keep his grimy hands off my mom and I definitely DO NOT want to know what's going on in his head, but I fucking love this game, it's amazing.
maybe Sophia shouldn't let Dilen watch Fight Club movie, it could be dangerous ;-) (I'm just kidding). ❤

Last edited:
Reactions: Talcum Powder
3.20 star(s) 461 Votes