ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
Although, L&P already did an animation of Sophia running, then, this will not be something that special or new, really. What else it could be?
That's just it, we don't know. All it would have taken would have been a few words to say what was the work-in-progress title or subject heading for what was planned, or what was being aimed for. Perhaps a rough estimate on the amount of delay wouldn't have come amiss. IMO, I'd have appreciated a brief low-down on why this had to happen now, part-way into the update process &/or what assistance was being requested.

Now, it's a fact that L&P owes me nothing, because I'm a pirate & as I've explained before the reason I'm not a patron concerns the production schedule. What has to be remembered is that this message, as far as we know, has been delivered to paying patrons. OK, some will be quite happy, even enthused by it but are they a majority? Those sites that do have me as a paying patron have my contributions withdrawn whenever production stalls for what I consider to be too long. I restart patronising when & if they pick up again. It's just makes sense not to see money vanish into thin air, if you can help it.

ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
You've nailed it. If I were to summarize this announcement in GIF form it would be:

View attachment 1550569

There is nothing of substance that is positive in this announcement. It is my belief that he didn't say anything because he doesn't have anything to say. The only thing of substance that he had to say was that there would be a delay on the next update, and then he masked it with vague bullshit.

Fine, few of us here support him on Patreon any longer, so maybe we don't deserve an answer. But why on Earth wouldn't you throw your Patrons a bone and give them something specific? If it's animations, great, tell them. It isn't like he'd be the first to do animations, so I don't see why you'd keep it a secret. If you're partnering with someone; great, tell them. Most of his patrons would be pleased to hear he was building a team. If this second computer will (somehow) make development easier and faster; great, tell them.

But he said nothing.

He's letting everyone twist in the wind and fill in the gaps for him. He keeps everything vague so that he can't be held accountable. This behavior is unethical and shady. I'm not upset about the delay. Who cares? I don't think any of us held out any real hope that the next update would arrive quickly. What I'm upset about is the utter arrogance and unethical behavior to not tell your patrons why you're delaying the next release. These are people who support you through thick and thin, and you couldn't be bothered to give them any specifics?

The ONLY conclusion I can take away from this is that he has nothing. For one reason or another development of the next update is going slow and he's throwing out another excuse. Maybe there is a second computer, and maybe he's trying to build it with nano machines and alien tech, but he had an obligation to his patrons to tell them his plan; and he couldn't do it. He danced around the topic, said nothing, couched it all as a positive, and then slunk back into the darkness.

I don't believe he has a viable reason for needing this second computer. I don't believe there was any reason to divert resources away from the game at this time. I don't believe that this is the type of announcement that should be cloaked in secrecy in order to maintain a surprise. In short, I don't believe he's acting in good faith.

Best case scenario, he's working on something big, know what he should have done? He should have said nothing for now. He should have waited until he had all the details lined up and then come out and made an announcement. Instead, he made an announcement today for nothing. In the short term it only sews confusion and raises questions, and in the long-term if it doesn't work out it will expose him to criticisms that he wasted time on a failed effort.

But I don't believe in that best case scenario. Instead, I believe he's pursuing another vanity project that will make him happy and do nothing to improvement development time or the quality of the game. I'll even put some skin in the game. I'll bet a profile pic declaring my eternal undying love for L&P if he announces something worth a damn by January 2nd. I'll eat my words and even join his Patreon at the base level for one month. But that announcement has to come with some sort of tangible result- some sort of deliverable product that proves his efforts are working. I can be patient, but it can't be something like "Hey everyone, it's January 2nd, my new computer is going to use advanced AI to create art. It should be ready to run by the end of the year! I guess GingerSweetGirl has to change her profile pic!"

I'm sorry for my rant, I'm just super frustrated with what I see as poor behavior from a developer towards his patrons. I only ran a small patreon page for a short while, and I would never have dreamed of jerking my patrons around like this.
I must have been typing extra stuff [cf. post above], at the same time as you but you've said it better. I used to have to write "guff" at times for places I worked & know it when I see it, yet somehow I'm still more than averagely disappointed with L&P's guff-ridden message.

Bobbos

Jun 27, 2017
If we assume that the announcement is about animations then... well... that's bad news.

I do like animations but the problem of the game atm is not the lack of animations but the slow development speed and spending money on someone to do animations for him instead of paying someone to create scenes for him is currently a bad investment.

Also setting up a second PC just to render the animations is also a waste of resources.
Rendering can be done over night so he only needs a single PC which should be as powerful as possible to speed up viewport performance.

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021
Goddamn! This special something got me especially hyped. He even set up another special rig and contacted a special developer for this very special task!

If it were about animations, there'd be no reason for the development of the game to stop for an unknown amount of time, as L&P's new rig could render the animations, and he could simply use his main rig to continue working on the scene creation. Especially since this other developer is apparently managing this "special" task. That's the whole point of having a 2nd rig for animations, so you can continue working on renders.

A vacation on the Bahamas sounds more reasonable. And the way this sad excuse of a Patreon post was written makes me think that he was probably in a hurry on his way to the airport so he wouldn't miss his first-class flight paid by these poor souls on his Patreon page. L&P's very special Christmas present to his loyal patrons - A bunch of "special" :poop:.

Last edited:

t3alqdansam

Engaged Member
Jan 30, 2021
You've nailed it. If I were to summarize this announcement in GIF form it would be:

View attachment 1550569

There is nothing of substance that is positive in this announcement. It is my belief that he didn't say anything because he doesn't have anything to say. The only thing of substance that he had to say was that there would be a delay on the next update, and then he masked it with vague bullshit.

Fine, few of us here support him on Patreon any longer, so maybe we don't deserve an answer. But why on Earth wouldn't you throw your Patrons a bone and give them something specific? If it's animations, great, tell them. It isn't like he'd be the first to do animations, so I don't see why you'd keep it a secret. If you're partnering with someone; great, tell them. Most of his patrons would be pleased to hear he was building a team. If this second computer will (somehow) make development easier and faster; great, tell them.

But he said nothing.

He's letting everyone twist in the wind and fill in the gaps for him. He keeps everything vague so that he can't be held accountable. This behavior is unethical and shady. I'm not upset about the delay. Who cares? I don't think any of us held out any real hope that the next update would arrive quickly. What I'm upset about is the utter arrogance and unethical behavior to not tell your patrons why you're delaying the next release. These are people who support you through thick and thin, and you couldn't be bothered to give them any specifics?

The ONLY conclusion I can take away from this is that he has nothing. For one reason or another development of the next update is going slow and he's throwing out another excuse. Maybe there is a second computer, and maybe he's trying to build it with nano machines and alien tech, but he had an obligation to his patrons to tell them his plan; and he couldn't do it. He danced around the topic, said nothing, couched it all as a positive, and then slunk back into the darkness.

I don't believe he has a viable reason for needing this second computer. I don't believe there was any reason to divert resources away from the game at this time. I don't believe that this is the type of announcement that should be cloaked in secrecy in order to maintain a surprise. In short, I don't believe he's acting in good faith.

Best case scenario, he's working on something big, know what he should have done? He should have said nothing for now. He should have waited until he had all the details lined up and then come out and made an announcement. Instead, he made an announcement today for nothing. In the short term it only sews confusion and raises questions, and in the long-term if it doesn't work out it will expose him to criticisms that he wasted time on a failed effort.

But I don't believe in that best case scenario. Instead, I believe he's pursuing another vanity project that will make him happy and do nothing to improvement development time or the quality of the game. I'll even put some skin in the game. I'll bet a profile pic declaring my eternal undying love for L&P if he announces something worth a damn by January 2nd. I'll eat my words and even join his Patreon at the base level for one month. But that announcement has to come with some sort of tangible result- some sort of deliverable product that proves his efforts are working. I can be patient, but it can't be something like "Hey everyone, it's January 2nd, my new computer is going to use advanced AI to create art. It should be ready to run by the end of the year! I guess GingerSweetGirl has to change her profile pic!"

I'm sorry for my rant, I'm just super frustrated with what I see as poor behavior from a developer towards his patrons. I only ran a small patreon page for a short while, and I would never have dreamed of jerking my patrons around like this.
The only reason I can see for the second computer is he wants to control his assets. I.e. the assistant/associate is nearby in the RW and will only work on said computer at his crib or an office. So, no release of assets. Animations as many have said are already out there, nothing new and really not the issue he is facing. Meh.

If I wanted to be true negative I would be saying the 'delay' is cover for him taking off over the holidays. Yes, this could be real bad. If he starts popping in animations and production is still slow as it is then the BS flags will start rising up the flagpoles. He needs to be aiming at a goal of 3 or more PDs per year. That would still put the end in 6-7 years. A 10 year VN yeah....

On a separate note I would require he prove he is doing something, not just announce, before making a deal with this devil. Just a thought GingerSweetGirl.:)

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
The only reason I can see for the second computer is he wants to control his assets. I.e. the assistant/associate is nearby in the RW and will only work on said computer at his crib or an office. So, no release of assets. Animations as many have said are already out there, nothing new and really not the issue he is facing. Meh.

If I wanted to be true negative I would be saying the 'delay' is cover for him taking off over the holidays. Yes, this could be real bad. If he starts popping in animations and production is still slow as it is then the BS flags will start rising up the flagpoles. He needs to be aiming at a goal of 3 or more PDs per year. That would still put the end in 6-7 years. A 10 year VN yeah....

On a separate note I would require he prove he is doing something, not just announce, before making a deal with this devil. Just a thought GingerSweetGirl.:)
Like I said, I'd need to see proof in the form of delivery. I wouldn't waste $1 or a profile pic without proof

Reactions: Poser_Voyeur

nexer

Forum Fanatic
Feb 5, 2019
What can I say, very good news. Thanks KillJoys.
Second PC, OK, but that "special" narrows down the options a bit. As has been said here before, working with a "special dev" can bring more animation to the game.
But what's more interesting is the second PC. A top one. He must therefore move to Germany or to another city if he is German :unsure:.
Moving involves costs and what scenario do I see possible: L&P provides "the beast" and the collaborator will work with it. I would bet for a split schedule, half for AWAM half for the own game of this "special dev". As a result we can see animations, not too much missed so far :unsure: , but also DLC.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: Hlextor

AchedCroissant

Conversation Conqueror
May 29, 2020
Goddamn! This special something got me especially hyped. He even set up another special rig and contacted a special developer for this very special task!

If it were about animations, there'd be no reason for the development of the game to stop for an unknown amount of time, as L&P's new rig could render the animations, and he could simply use his main rig to continue working on the scene creation. Especially since this other developer is apparently managing this "special" task. That's the whole point of having a 2nd rig for animations, so you can continue working on renders.

A vacation on the Bahamas sounds more reasonable. And the way this sad excuse of a Patreon post was written makes me think that he was probably in a hurry on his way to the airport so he wouldn't miss his first-class flight paid by these poor souls on his Patreon page. L&P's very special Christmas present to his loyal patrons - A bunch of "special" :poop:.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

• Haha
Reactions: palmtrees89

oshikuru

Aug 1, 2017
L&P start working on morning update of new playable day and noticed that development goes too fast that he expected. What to do?...Yes! Announce of something "very promising" and froze development for half a year. Terrific, Mr. L&P.
Technically he started 1/3 of the morning update. Because he split updates into events. Meaning nine or ten updates per playable day.

hzjujk

Sep 19, 2020
When I first read the article by L&P I thought: "Bad marketing!". Should it really be animations that he would like to add then this innovation is of no importance to me. As I am playing BeingADIK again, I have noticed that animated sex scenes don't give me anything and, on the contrary, tend to hinder my head cinema. But I admit that a well-animated change of gaze, for example, certainly contributes to the story. And that's where we come to the narrative style. I think this quality has decreased since the last update. Both when writing the dialogues and as a result, in contrast to earlier publications, L&P leads through many dialogues with just a few pictures and thereby makes the whole thing look even more bumpy by dispensing with changeable poses and facial expressions. I know that this doesn't bother a lot of people here, but that made up part of the game's charm. And here, for my part, I would like that more emphasis is placed on the development of the story and that time is invested.
As for his announcements in his post, I don't think he's lying (and vacationing in the Bahamas). I appreciate the honesty of the developer in announcing the delays and justifying them (and putting up with the shit storm). And yet I am frustrated about how unclear these statements are and the time lag for the next publication. That he announces that the innovations are worth waiting for is just not enough. Although he made this statement with the 3rd Aiden task and it turned out to be true for me, he shouldn't make it easy for himself and believe a promise of new innovations will keep the frustration factor small.

3.20 star(s) 462 Votes