ancienregimele

Sep 27, 2017
I think the verbal pressure exerted by his supporters is already very great. And not only his supporters, but also here in the forum he constantly gets to hear criticism about his work speed and work organization. That he feels this pressure can be seen from some of his angry and inappropriate reactions here in this forum. I don't believe that his supporters could force him to work faster by not giving L&P money anymore. Let's assume I'm a lazy developer, or I've run out of ideas. But I have gotten used to the money. But now more and more supporters are leaving, the flow of money is decreasing. This will not change the attitude of the developer to his work. What will happen is that the developer tries with minimal effort to milk his FREE supporters with, for example, monthly teasers. In no case he will work faster again. Real power would get the supporters only if the contract terms would be changed. For example, that a backer could reclaim his money or a part of it if the developer does not deliver. But that would contradict the basic idea of this platform, which is to promote ideas that no one would support in the first place. On if it has now only degenerated into a business model.
It's maybe a couple of years since I discussed this with any seriousness on this thread & of course it was in relation to AWAM's production rate. I had a strange "snakes & ladders" working life but I did spend 15 years of it as a HR practitioner & should, in theory, be able to come up with ideas on how to replace a problematic model of working which is clearly no longer fit for purpose.

I keep coming back to the issues of patronage & creativity. IMO there needs to be a form of Payment By Results (PBR) but this should recognise that creativity is not the same as working on an assembly line, (which I've also done), so flexibility on all sides would be essential. This might encompass a movable deadline but ultimately there would have to be a cut-off point where either payment would cease, or refunds became due. There would also have to be a "no fault" clause to cover unforseen issues. Patrons as 'Commissioners of Creativity' would become straightforward customers. Flexibility issues would need to be covered in the contractual agreement. It's not simple & when I was working I mistrusted PBR, which like all systems, is open to abuse. There is nothing which cannot be solved, however, so that a mutually beneficial business model could result.

I've no doubt that the Dev is well aware of the pressure surrounding the pace of production but currently this is pressure without consequence & can safely be ignored, tolerated, or answered with a rant. There is only the prospect of patrons voting with their wallets to provide some type of (negatively oriented) incentive to deliver & there are various reasons why this does not happen to the extent that might be expected in the case of the "big games", like AWAM.

I doubt that there is a genuine prospect for change at the present time. What IS changing regularly is the production rate, which is beginning to grind to a halt. Project management skills are not that easy to find but sometimes I think L&P could have done with a manager....like a rock band!

AchedCroissant

Conversation Conqueror
May 29, 2020
I have always seen that L&P and his best friend DPC release the chapters in the same month so if the short episode of the DPC game comes out in February as you can speculate after reading his last update on Patreon this game could also have the update in February

palmtrees89

Jul 3, 2021

The update should actually already be out but "the new thing" just drags along, and it's not just because of me! All I can promise that it will be a pretty special update! When I give you an approximate release time span, you will see at the latest what I was talking about all the time!
But for some of my more loayal patrons who just can't wait anymore, I could show at least a little teaser. Only if you won't share it anywhere else, of course!
Or you don't want the surprise to be spoiled and like to wait a bit longer. I'm practically done with the scene creation and heading to finish the update until the end of February.

I'm very impatient and agree to get the surprise spoiled, so just finally show me that damn teaser!
82%
I don't want to get the surprise spoiled and like to wait a little bit more
18%
3 days left
So the new/special/surprise/whatever thing can be seen in a teaser? That's kinda cancelling out the possibility of animations, no? Also, funny how he's calling high tier patrons "more loyal" just because they're throwing more money into this sinkhole.

Practically done with scene creation, but still requires an entire month to finish the update? So this "new thing" apparently slows down writing and photoshop work aswell? Kinda weird, no? Especially since this update will most likely consist of way less renders than previous ones, and even those barely took him a month to finish the writing/photoshopping. Slowing down progress on literally every front possible.

I don't get why he's hyping this release up as such a super awesome special one, when this new feature will make an even larger impact in future updates. As he said himself in previous statements, we'll only get a first look at this new thing in the upcoming release, implying that it'll likely have an even larger impact in future releases. (And even slower updates aswell?)

Then again, honestly, reading this mess is just as confusing as always. Is he even talking about this "new thing" regarding the teaser, or is it only about the bonus event?

"All I can promise that it will be a pretty special update! When I give you an approximate release time span, you will see at the latest what I was talking about all the time! But for some of my more loayal patrons who just can't wait anymore, I could show at least a little teaser. Only if you won't share it anywhere else, of course!"

Since he was talking about this "new thing" all the time like it's the holy grale of VN's, I'd assume that's what he wants to showcase in the bonus teaser? So what now? Is the bonus event the "new thing", or is there actually a new feature? This entire post is so poorly written, it could've been posted by a 12 year old for all I know. Guess we'll know more once he gives us the approximate release date. Or maybe not...

I still stand by my previous statement that he's likely not even have any helpers and just started working with Blender himself and that's it. Easy (and weak) way to come up with excuses for more delays without taking the blame himself.

Anyway, end of February release means roughly 3 months and 10 days for 1/10th of a PD, and almost 3 years to finsish this playable day 13 if this is the new norm per update. Just wow. Amazing.

NextQuestion

Apr 23, 2018

The update should actually already be out but "the new thing" just drags along, and it's not just because of me! All I can promise that it will be a pretty special update! When I give you an approximate release time span, you will see at the latest what I was talking about all the time!
But for some of my more loayal patrons who just can't wait anymore, I could show at least a little teaser. Only if you won't share it anywhere else, of course!
Or you don't want the surprise to be spoiled and like to wait a bit longer. I'm practically done with the scene creation and heading to finish the update until the end of February.

I'm very impatient and agree to get the surprise spoiled, so just finally show me that damn teaser!
82%
18%
3 days left
End of February ??? Did he misspelled January?? :WaitWhat: :WaitWhat: :WaitWhat: :WaitWhat: :WaitWhat:

BorgiaBou

Jul 24, 2021
Also, funny how he's calling high tier patrons "more loyal" just because they're throwing more money into this sinkhole.
Yep this is the moment if i was one of the "lesser" patreon i would've told him to go f himself and stoped being his patreon, if this doesn't show how much this f'in' guy cares about some patreons i dunno what else... "more loyal" my ass... maybe more stupid for trowing so much money at him...

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
So apparently people who pay more are more loyal than people who have been supporting him longer. Got it.

On another note, if he is almost done with scene creation, can any L&P fan clarify why does he need the SAME amount of time to post-process LESS images and translate a SMALLER scene?

I would really like to know the justification for this.

For those wondering if you should pay the 38.50 to see a teaser, don't do it, I'm sure a hero will show up ;)

Aug 27, 2018
Wow, what a bad news!
The creator of the game better keep his promise and present an excellent update to the players or else he will witness a riot.
He makes a lot of promises and doesn't develop the game very much.
Sofia doesn't deserve this.
There is no need for so much whimsy. Do the basics, because it works.

GingerSweetGirl

Engaged Member
Aug 23, 2020
So the new/special/surprise/whatever thing can be seen in a teaser? That's kinda cancelling out the possibility of animations, no? Also, funny how he's calling high tier patrons "more loyal" just because they're throwing more money into this sinkhole.

Practically done with scene creation, but still requires an entire month to finish the update? So this "new thing" apparently slows down writing and photoshop work aswell? Kinda weird, no? Especially since this update will most likely consist of way less renders than previous ones, and even those barely took him a month to finish the writing/photoshopping. Slowing down progress on literally every front possible.

I don't get why he's hyping this release up as such a super awesome special one, when this new feature will make an even larger impact in future updates. As he said himself in previous statements, we'll only get a first look at this new thing in the upcoming release, implying that it'll likely have an even larger impact in future releases. (And even slower updates aswell?)

Then again, honestly, reading this mess is just as confusing as always. Is he even talking about this "new thing" regarding the teaser, or is it only about the bonus event?

"All I can promise that it will be a pretty special update! When I give you an approximate release time span, you will see at the latest what I was talking about all the time! But for some of my more loayal patrons who just can't wait anymore, I could show at least a little teaser. Only if you won't share it anywhere else, of course!"

Since he was talking about this "new thing" all the time like it's the holy grale of VN's, I'd assume that's what he wants to showcase in the bonus teaser? So what now? Is the bonus event the "new thing", or is there actually a new feature? This entire post is so poorly written, it could've been posted by a 12 year old for all I know. Guess we'll know more once he gives us the approximate release date. Or maybe not...

I still stand by my previous statement that he's likely not even have any helpers and just started working with Blender himself and that's it. Easy (and weak) way to come up with excuses for more delays without taking the blame himself.

Anyway, end of February release means roughly 3 months and 10 days for 1/10th of a PD, and almost 3 years to finsish this playable day 13 if this is the new norm per update. Just wow. Amazing.
In his defense, not only is communication a weakness for him, but he's also trying to do it in a foreign language. I agree with your point, but when we say that he communicated like a 12 year old I think that's a bit harsh considering the language barrier.

That said, his communication does suck. I'm not sure if he's always intentionally vague or confusing, but I often struggle to understand his meaning. In hindsight, he should have considered bringing in a communications person to do the postings on Patreon and other public places. His English is only good enough to get him in trouble. He can communicate simple thoughts well enough, but when he attempts detailed answers he falls apart.

I get the impression that what he thinks is a fun, titillating, statement is, to native English speakers, confusing and unclear. This gets the cycle rolling as L&P becomes more frustrated and communication breaks down more. He sincerely may not understand some of the mistakes he makes and that he's confusing people more than informing them.

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Jun 25, 2017
In his defense, not only is communication a weakness for him, but he's also trying to do it in a foreign language. I agree with your point, but when we say that he communicated like a 12 year old I think that's a bit harsh considering the language barrier.

That said, his communication does suck. I'm not sure if he's always intentionally vague or confusing, but I often struggle to understand his meaning. In hindsight, he should have considered bringing in a communications person to do the postings on Patreon and other public places. His English is only good enough to get him in trouble. He can communicate simple thoughts well enough, but when he attempts detailed answers he falls apart.

I get the impression that what he thinks is a fun, titillating, statement is, to native English speakers, confusing and unclear. This gets the cycle rolling as L&P becomes more frustrated and communication breaks down more. He sincerely may not understand some of the mistakes he makes and that he's confusing people more than informing them.
Its been 4 years and he said himself he's good with english. He conveys exactly what he wants to convey: vague statements.

lockerxx

Conversation Conqueror
May 10, 2017

74%
26%
3 days left
a new preview about the bonus event?yes please.

Talcum Powder

Feb 14, 2018

I'm not sure we could say that communication is his weakness. It's been fairly obvious for well over a year now that the problem is what he has to communicate - the substance of what he's saying is the problem. The language barrier may be making it sound worse to native English speakers, but no matter how fluent you are or how elegant your phrasing, bullshit will invariably emit a recognizable stench.

3.20 star(s) 466 Votes