Unity Completed Abandoned: A Tale Of Forgotten Lives [v1.0] [Kerni]

4.40 star(s) 55 Votes

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
I was curious enough to take a look at the video.... Whew, I'm sure glad I played it myself....who IS that narrator? Low res vid of a hi res game with some good ole boy narrating does not work for me... THanks for the link. Maybe somebody will try the game...but after this, I'm not sure. Too bad as the game is great.

Reactions: Kamilgar

beryn

May 8, 2017
Anybody know a workaround, started the game and no buttons working, music is playing.
Started it once, opened settings, started a new game.
Quitted out, started it again and now nothing is responding.
Game is not chrashed according to task manager, but is using around 50% of my cpu and 2 gb ram.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Anybody know a workaround, started the game and no buttons working, music is playing.
Started it once, opened settings, started a new game.
Quitted out, started it again and now nothing is responding.
Game is not chrashed according to task manager, but is using around 50% of my cpu and 2 gb ram.
Did you try to change the grpahic settings to "low" ?
if you click on the executeable there is first a splash screen where you can press "start game" and in the splash screen you can change the graphic settings.
IF this does not work then i would say that either you have a corrupted version or your computer is not up to the task.
(the game is very resource hungry)

beryn

May 8, 2017
Did you try to change the grpahic settings to "low" ?
if you click on the executeable there is first a splash screen where you can press "start game" and in the splash screen you can change the graphic settings.
IF this does not work then i would say that either you have a corrupted version or your computer is not up to the task.
(the game is very resource hungry)
Played earlier version a while ago, nothing that time , trying to redownload.
Specs: i7-6700k 4GHz, 32 GB ram, gtx1080, shouldn't it be enough?

Edit, new download, started on the "fastest" setting, game loads in 10 seconds after the unity splash screen. Menu shows up fine with animation, but none of the buttons are working.
Could you say where the settings are saved, might need to delete that instead.

Last edited:

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Played earlier version a while ago, nothing that time , trying to redownload.
Specs: i7-6700k 4GHz, 32 GB ram, gtx1080, shouldn't it be enough?

Edit, new download, started on the "fastest" setting, game loads in 10 seconds after the unity splash screen. Menu shows up fine with animation, but none of the buttons are working.
Could you say where the settings are saved, might need to delete that instead.
Yes , your PC is fast enough.
Ahhh... if the SSAA option is enabled then no 2D button will work.
You can manually disabled this (if it is activated) with the reg editor.
You can find the playerpref settings under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kernis_not_existing_company\Abandoned - A tale of forgotten lives
There you need to change the SSAA_ON_OFF option to 0

Reactions: Gress

beryn

May 8, 2017
Yes , your PC is fast enough.
Ahhh... if the SSAA option is enabled then no 2D button will work.
You can manually disabled this (if it is activated) with the reg editor.
You can find the playerpref settings under
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Kernis_not_existing_company\Abandoned - A tale of forgotten lives
There you need to change the SSAA_ON_OFF option to 0
Thank you, seems it was a problem that the registry was empty, deleted the key and voila, everything working again.
Enabled ssaa earlier, so that's a fair point, how why registry key ended up empty, that i don't know.
But it works now, again thanks for the help.

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
Glad I came across this little gem... Really enjoying it so far! However I have one particular criticism.

The shadow resolution/cascade/smoothing is abysmal! Even on the "Fantastic" quality setting. It's quite distracting for what is otherwise a good looking game. I did try to edit the unityEngine.dll via dnspy to increase the default shadow resolution, but the settings don't exist to edit so I have no idea what the dev did when he was adjusting quality settings.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Glad I came across this little gem... Really enjoying it so far! However I have one particular criticism.

The shadow resolution/cascade/smoothing is abysmal! Even on the "Fantastic" quality setting. It's quite distracting for what is otherwise a good looking game. I did try to edit the unityEngine.dll via dnspy to increase the default shadow resolution, but the settings don't exist to edit so I have no idea what the dev did when he was adjusting quality settings.
The dev just took the standard ones xD
(okay.. the dev also added the best option but onlx 2k textures) ^_^

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
The dev just took the standard ones xD
(okay.. the dev also added the best option but onlx 2k textures) ^_^
Heres a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You can see how blocky the shadows are which would indicate a very low shadow resolution. Also if you look at her feet you can see that the shadow does not originate from the intended object, this is because the shadow bias is incorrectly set.

Heres the odd thing though, after playing the game some more this shadow resolution only seems to be present in the hangar bay. The shadows are okay everywhere else.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Heres a screenshot of what I'm talking about.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

You can see how blocky the shadows are which would indicate a very low shadow resolution. Also if you look at her feet you can see that the shadow does not originate from the intended object, this is because the shadow bias is incorrectly set.

Heres the odd thing though, after playing the game some more this shadow resolution only seems to be present in the hangar bay. The shadows are okay everywhere else.
Mhnn.. weird. I used premade lights in the hangar bay. I assume this is the error.
But i need to say it again , AATOFL is "finished" for me because i need to concentrate on my new game "milky ways"
SO please do not expect me to compile yet another version ^_^

Disco-Inferno

May 9, 2017
Mhnn.. weird. I used premade lights in the hangar bay. I assume this is the error.
But i need to say it again , AATOFL is "finished" for me because i need to concentrate on my new game "milky ways"
SO please do not expect me to compile yet another version ^_^
Don't worry I wouldn't expect you to compile another version, just wanted to point it out and hopefully fix it myself. I guess you can use this mistake to make your new game better. Good luck with it!

ddaisy

Jun 5, 2019
How can I beat the 2 mechs and 1 drone in the encounter right after picking up the pipe? I tried focusing on a single target, but the robots still beat me before I destroy 2 of them. Took me like 6 reloads until my RNG was good enough to win.

Also, what's the point of attacking with the pipe if kicking has higher accuracy and greater damage output (the former is 10 dmg 75% acc and the latter 20 dmg 90 acc)? Funnily, punching with bare hands has the same stats as kicking, which means Victor should be weaker when attacking with a pipe. Further experimenting showed the damage outputs of punching and attacking with a pipe aren't that different, but using either of them is still a waste of action when Victor can do more damage with kicking.

Kicking also seems to be doing more damage to robots than the pistol, so there's no use in shooting when you can just go full melee.

Last edited:

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
How can I beat the 2 mechs and 1 drone in the encounter right after picking up the pipe? I tried focusing on a single target, but the robots still beat me before I destroy 2 of them. Took me like 6 reloads until my RNG was good enough to win.

Also, what's the point of attacking with the pipe if kicking has higher accuracy and greater damage output (the former is 10 dmg 75% acc and the latter 20 dmg 90 acc)? Funnily, punching with bare hands has the same stats as kicking, which means Victor should be weaker when attacking with a pipe. Further experimenting showed the damage outputs of punching and attacking with a pipe aren't that different, but using either of them is still a waste of action when Victor can do more damage with kicking.

Kicking also seems to be doing more damage to robots than the pistol, so there's no use in shooting when you can just go full melee.
The fighting script ws a bad idea from me ^_^
This is why i did not included it into Milky ways (but i will do somethign else.. at least i hope i have time for thwe other thing)

lordlundar

Sep 30, 2017

Really it's in your best interest to lose the fights and just about every minigame apart from the poker, hacking, and the VR game in the crew quarters, with the latter two simply restarting the minigame.

notaspen

Jun 26, 2020
If you're any good with regex, you can fix some text spelling errors within StoryMod.js using this:

Code:
(story_hashtable\["MainText"\] = ".*==LEFT==)==CONTENT==(==RIGHT==.*")
This regex essentially only searches lines involving the main text (so you don't accidentally change the spellings of the other hashtable variables and break the game). It's somewhat hard to explain but you want to replace ==LEFT== and ==RIGHT== with the boundaries for what you're replacing and obviously replace ==CONTENT== with what you wanna replace.

(only copy stuff within the {}, sorry no inline rn)

For instance, the way Pervy Rogue's mode uses double periods (end..) instead of triple (end...) kinda annoys me. The regex for replacing this have {[^\.]} replacing ==LEFT==, {\.\} replacing ==CONTENT==, and {[^\.]} replacing ==RIGHT==. If you're using a JetBrains IDE, in the replace bar you can put {$1...$2} for replacement purposes. It's hard to explain but yeah, using regex can fix ALOT of the small spelling mistakes and such in the game.

Edits using the Jetbrains replace (make sure to enable match case?) (description: original -> replacement):
Remove uncapitalized i's: { i } -> { I }
Remove unnecessary spacing: {(story_hashtable\["MainText"\] = ".*[^ ])[ ]{2,}([^ ].*")} -> {$1 $2}
Remove spacing between puncuation (question mark, etc.): {(story_hashtable\["MainText"\] = ".*[\w]) \? ([\w].*")} -> {$1? $2}

Last edited:

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
If you're any good with regex, you can fix some text spelling errors within StoryMod.js using this:

Code:
(story_hashtable\["MainText"\] = ".*==LEFT==)==CONTENT==(==RIGHT==.*")
Funny that you mention this xD
Yesterday i just created a C# executeable who can find VN frames of any story mod file and then injects them into my original story file.
I do this to make a hard injection of all the spellchecking from bshippers Spelling fix v0.13

And btw...
Code:
                        //read out the maintext
                        if (ContentOfFile[i].Contains("story_hashtable[\"MainText\"]")) {
                            CurrentVNFrame.Maintext_line_number = i;
                            CurrentVNFrame.Maintext = ContentOfFile[i].Split('"')[3];
                            CurrentVNFrame.Maintext_old = CurrentVNFrame.Maintext;
                        };
I hate interpreted languages and i hate REGular EXtensions xD

notaspen

Jun 26, 2020
Funny that you mention this xD
Yesterday i just created a C# executeable who can find VN frames of any story mod file and then injects them into my original story file.
I do this to make a hard injection of all the spellchecking from bshippers Spelling fix v0.13

And btw...
Code:
                        //read out the maintext
                        if (ContentOfFile[i].Contains("story_hashtable[\"MainText\"]")) {
                            CurrentVNFrame.Maintext_line_number = i;
                            CurrentVNFrame.Maintext = ContentOfFile[i].Split('"')[3];
                            CurrentVNFrame.Maintext_old = CurrentVNFrame.Maintext;
                        };
I hate interpreted languages and i hate REGular EXtensions xD
I dove into StoryMod.js and just visibly cringed at how unnecessarily convoluted the story files were. One massive array if I remember correctly storing dictionaries or the other way around, and every single event and animation is done procedurally within the event. The js file is like 300k lines long...

I fixed some of the simpler spelling mistakes and pet peeves without complicated regex, for instance uncapitalized I's, spaces before question marks, common misspellings, etc.

I definitely would have made a partner application for adding new events and stuff because typing all that stuff manually and declaring variables and incrementing indexes seems like a massive pain.

Edit: all the images in the game for me are also weirdly low resolution, basically stuff like the control buttons and tips that display on the screen as images display as like 10.pixels instead of their original resolution. I'm playing on simple if that matters but wondering if anyone else ran into this issue.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
I dove into StoryMod.js and just visibly cringed at how unnecessarily convoluted the story files were. One massive array if I remember correctly storing dictionaries or the other way around, and every single event and animation is done procedurally within the event. The js file is like 300k lines long...

Well yes :=)
I love hashtables xD

Anyway , the storyx file must be this "convoluted" because many things must be stored inside of it. For every frame every action must be implemented in this.
and...

I definitely would have made a partner application for adding new events and stuff because typing all that stuff manually and declaring variables and incrementing indexes seems like a massive pain.
What a shame.. nobody looks into the story mod folder where my "partner application" is stored >_<

This flash aplication stored there allows for user to either spellcheck (this is what the most people do) or (what nobody does) rewrite entire section or add new events.
IF you want to know more in the "story mod" folder is also a little tutorial which explains a tiny bit (not a good tutorial to be honest xD)

4.40 star(s) 55 Votes