Unity Completed Abandoned: A Tale Of Forgotten Lives [v1.0] [Kerni]

4.40 star(s) 55 Votes

deppenjaeger

May 23, 2017
We need more games like this, already looking forward to Milky Ways, but i kinda hoped for a real A:ATOFL Sequel, especially
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
oh yeah
i lost count of the times i played this game, it is that bloody awesome :) so i hoped for a sequel too, and still do :)

i hope milky ay will be as awesome when there is finally enough content to compare

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
At the beginning, I got the suit and went out the spaceship and then what should I do?
USe WASD to hover around in space and try to reach the door with the blinking red light (the right door as far as i remmeber next to the hangar door)

Reactions: chrisccd

NoesisAndNoema

Game Developer
Oct 3, 2017
This game is stuck "walking forward and to the left", and I can't get it to stop... Any chance of a fix, so it is playable?

Started it up, all settings on high, full-screen. Went into the graphics options while it was running, essentially turned everything graphic-related to ON or TRUE or up to the highest settings for my 4K screen.

Hit START, got to the point where you could explore, before finding the base, and it instantly walked me into the ship wall and just keeps walking forward forever. I can WASD, but as soon as I let go of "S and D", it starts going forward and to the left again. Thus, it is impossible to actually play.

This was the MEGA download, which I patched with the other MEGA download, after it was already locked forward. The patch didn't resolve the "stuck walking forward forever" issue.

The log-file is full of ??? errors... multiple duplicate ones...

This is like 800+ with the number getting larger, every 5th entry. (The number is the same "0.02086945", for about 5 times.)
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)
False
(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/UnityEngineDebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 42)

Followed by this chunk...

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Horizontal_Doors_Kit') is missing!
(Filename: Line: 1656)
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'screen_2') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'listing_02') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Horizontal_Doors_Kit') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Screen') is missing!

It continues with more, about the same things, repeating about half a dozen times...

Followed by first set of repeating chunks, for about 100 more times...

Then this... before it repeats the missing things again, multiple times...

Unloading 29 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 176730.
Total: 80.795601 ms (FindLiveObjects: 13.836801 ms CreateObjectMapping: 4.508400 ms MarkObjects: 62.250900 ms DeleteObjects: 0.189600 ms)

Followed by this... With the last few lines repeating about 200+ times...

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 125.164894 ms

Unloading 196 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 177784.
Total: 90.404305 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.818500 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.033900 ms MarkObjects: 56.728798 ms DeleteObjects: 23.822500 ms)

NO CAMERA FOUND!
NO CAMERA FOUND!

Ultimately ending with this...

Setting up 9 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: 47f8 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 119c -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 22f8 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 2a84 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 2ed0 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 345c -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 12d4 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 968 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 2c4 -> priority: 1
NO SAVEGAME SCRIPT FOUND!

I restarted a new game, and the results are the same... Reloading, results are the same... No MODs are on or used. Everything-else was the default settings.

Last edited:

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
This game is stuck "walking forward and to the left", and I can't get it to stop... Any chance of a fix, so it is playable?

Started it up, all settings on high, full-screen. Went into the graphics options while it was running, essentially turned everything graphic-related to ON or TRUE or up to the highest settings for my 4K screen.

Hit START, got to the point where you could explore, before finding the base, and it instantly walked me into the ship wall and just keeps walking forward forever. I can WASD, but as soon as I let go of "S and D", it starts going forward and to the left again. Thus, it is impossible to actually play.

This was the MEGA download, which I patched with the other MEGA download, after it was already locked forward. The patch didn't resolve the "stuck walking forward forever" issue.

I restarted a new game, and the results are the same... Reloading, results are the same... No MODs are on or used. Everything-else was the default settings.
Hello ,
This is a very unusuall bug. No idea how i may help you with this but you can try to start the AATOFL.exe (do not press START on the splash screen) then go to the inpout tab an change the input for left to another key.
I am just using the very default first person character in my game so maybe unity does not like your keyboard >_<

EDIT : maybe you have a second input source runnign liek a joystick which is sometimes the source of some of these issues.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Kerni, is there any way to rebind placing of objects? The Alt key doesn't seem to work in the Linux version when I try to place something (the lamp, the poker table etc) in the hangar.
No sorry , this is not possible. It is hard coded in my script >_<
But to be honest i never heard from the Linux users that the placing script dos not work , maybe they use another key ? (no idea i have no linux xD)

BTW on another topic , i released Milky ways 0.42 public beta :
(Just so that i mention it in this thread =)

Kerenga

May 10, 2018
@ NoesisAndNoema

This is like 800+ with the number getting larger, every 5th entry. (The number is the same "0.02086945", for about 5 times.)
False

Followed by this chunk...

The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'screen_2') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'listing_02') is missing!
The referenced script on this Behaviour (Game Object 'Screen') is missing!

It continues with more, about the same things, repeating about half a dozen times...

Followed by first set of repeating chunks, for about 100 more times...

Then this... before it repeats the missing things again, multiple times...

Unloading 29 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 176730.
Total: 80.795601 ms (FindLiveObjects: 13.836801 ms CreateObjectMapping: 4.508400 ms MarkObjects: 62.250900 ms DeleteObjects: 0.189600 ms)

Followed by this... With the last few lines repeating about 200+ times...

Unloading 5 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 125.164894 ms

Unloading 196 unused Assets to reduce memory usage. Loaded Objects now: 177784.
Total: 90.404305 ms (FindLiveObjects: 7.818500 ms CreateObjectMapping: 2.033900 ms MarkObjects: 56.728798 ms DeleteObjects: 23.822500 ms)

NO CAMERA FOUND!
NO CAMERA FOUND!

Ultimately ending with this...

Setting up 9 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: 47f8 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 119c -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 22f8 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 2a84 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 2ed0 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 345c -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 12d4 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 968 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 2c4 -> priority: 1
NO SAVEGAME SCRIPT FOUND!

This has nothing to do directly with the Game but with a memory bug/memory running full. I had this Bug acuring randomly multible times in some games. Generally some with high memory use. For me it resolved itself after some Seconds and hektic fidgeting with the WASD Keys. Propably by memory refresh or something. Sometimes it helps to open the main Menu.

This Game isnt as performence optimised as some AAA Games. And its made in Unity3D. The older versions of Unity3D have problems handling high resolution Textures and Objects in a Hardware-friendly way. So the impact of those on the Hardware is greater.

For me it runs mostly fluid with the following Hardware:
GTX 970
AMD FX8350 4.0GHz
DDR3 16 GB 1600MHz
no SD, just one 2TB Hardrive

Hope that helps :)

Skjend

Jan 2, 2018
hello,
sorry if this was asked already i didnt find anything, how can i trigger the crew quarter quest, i did everything i can until the hydroponic deck and am now in free roaming mode but nothing happend since then.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
hello,
sorry if this was asked already i didnt find anything, how can i trigger the crew quarter quest, i did everything i can until the hydroponic deck and am now in free roaming mode but nothing happend since then.
There should be a new talk option if you talk with Aemi. Under the "ask questions" submenu.

Dagerdese

Dec 10, 2019
Let's build my game in such a way that all assets need to be front loaded, what could possibly go wrong?
I don't know much about programming but even I know that this isn't very well thought through.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I don't know much about programming but even I know that this isn't very well thought through.
Who are you quoting there?

I do know a lot about programming, and sometimes that's the right thing to do.

Dagerdese

Dec 10, 2019
Who are you quoting there?

I do know a lot about programming, and sometimes that's the right thing to do.
The innermost thoughts of the dev, sure it might be a good idea depending on the circumstances but not if we're talking about 5gb+ of assets. There's no way that's necessary and just bloats up the RAM usage and makes the initial load take ages, modded sims 2 with all expansions on a HDD 'ages'.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
The innermost thoughts of the dev, sure it might be a good idea depending on the circumstances but not if we're talking about 5gb+ of assets. There's no way that's necessary and just bloats up the RAM usage and makes the initial load take ages, modded sims 2 with all expansions on a HDD 'ages'.

Oh my :)

So.. first of all. Unity 3d (if you load a level the normal way with application.loadlevel(X)) then Unity will gather all needesd resources on it's own to render the assets. If i want to change it i have several options.

1. Insteadt of one scene i may use several scenes (connected with a loading screen) BUT.. my framework is not really good at handeling this (I would need far more time to make it work)

2. Stream the assets when needed , big worlds do this all the time (far cry , crysis , gothic 3 etc..) but same problem above i would need more time , far more time. (mostly because i would have to rely on 3th party asets from the unity asset store)

So.. to be honest i think i can savely say that 5 GB of ram (no idea if the games even eat that much) in 2020 is not much to ask for. And i know games who are even more.. far more hungry (Anno 1800 , vrchat , arma , city skylines.. nom nom)

Please understand that i am creating the game in my spare time on the weekend. I am not a professional game developer.
I am aware that many people are used to 2D like games who will run on a frige with integrated 500mhz computer. But this game utilizes 4k assets from Daz3D as well as tons of stuff from the unity asset store to make it kind of okay looking.

To be honest i do not even know if AATOFL or Milky ways will eat 5gb of ram. I just tested a bit around with milky ways 0.42 and i it showed 2.8 Gb of ram usage in the task manager and this game has even more characters and assets then AATOFL.
I just said 5gb of ram since this is what AATOFL used in the editor so i can safely say that it will be much less when in the nativ player.

Uff.. hope this explains much xD

4.40 star(s) 55 Votes