Unity Completed Abandoned: A Tale Of Forgotten Lives [v1.0] [Kerni]

4.40 star(s) 55 Votes

caju

Oct 5, 2017
anoldscrewup
I wasnt really bashing or prodding you. I was kind of giggling to myself. I looked up your card and mine on a comparison site. It informed me that your card is approximately 495% better than mine.
I think mine is so old that it doesnt recognize that this game is something that it shouldnt be able to run so it just does it.
This game is a beast and a half though.

professorx10

Game Developer
Jul 22, 2018
Hey, anoldscrewup It looks Like I owe you an apology. I glanced too quickly over your machine specs. (and, btw, I'd never ask a guy to spend money for just one game...ooh, hey, wait, I've done that...oops sorry)

ANYWAY, I apologize. Your machine almost duplicates the one I was recommending AND that I happen to be running myself!! <facepalm> So, what's the deal I wondered? I think I ran the game on my Win-7 os before upgrading and I KNOW I've run the game since...on the same machine. And, I'm running Milky Ways now with no hiccups. So the only difference is OS (and your / my OS set up and "cleanliness") SO since I don't know if you've run a system cleaner lately and/or if your Device Manager has any 'alerts' in it, I'm thinking your only problem is somewhere in your system setup. I'll wager that since you "do more than gaming" on your machine that that is where the problem lies. I've had problems once I've had too many pgms on the system...the registry gets really messed up.
So two suggestions, if you've already cleaned the system (and registry) and have lots of space left on your HD (and no background hogs) --thats one--then maybe upgrading the OS or re-installing it again will cure the issue (and any others). (and PS, I love Win-7 )

Bottom line, The only difference between your hardware and mine is their makers (Lenovo vs Dell) and that don't count so it has to be in the OS. Check it out because I'm running both programs just fine and so you should be able also.
Best of luck! and BTW, I think you'll really like ATOFL and MW...they're great alternate world type games.

anoldscrewup

Nov 13, 2019
anoldscrewup
I wasnt really bashing or prodding you. I was kind of giggling to myself. I looked up your card and mine on a comparison site. It informed me that your card is approximately 495% better than mine.
I think mine is so old that it doesnt recognize that this game is something that it shouldnt be able to run so it just does it.
This game is a beast and a half though.
Rest assured, I wasn't offended. Kind of knew where you where coming from.

Reactions: caju

anoldscrewup

Nov 13, 2019
Hey, anoldscrewup It looks Like I owe you an apology. I glanced too quickly over your machine specs. (and, btw, I'd never ask a guy to spend money for just one game...ooh, hey, wait, I've done that...oops sorry)

ANYWAY, I apologize. Your machine almost duplicates the one I was recommending AND that I happen to be running myself!! <facepalm> So, what's the deal I wondered? I think I ran the game on my Win-7 os before upgrading and I KNOW I've run the game since...on the same machine. And, I'm running Milky Ways now with no hiccups. So the only difference is OS (and your / my OS set up and "cleanliness") SO since I don't know if you've run a system cleaner lately and/or if your Device Manager has any 'alerts' in it, I'm thinking your only problem is somewhere in your system setup. I'll wager that since you "do more than gaming" on your machine that that is where the problem lies. I've had problems once I've had too many pgms on the system...the registry gets really messed up.
So two suggestions, if you've already cleaned the system (and registry) and have lots of space left on your HD (and no background hogs) --thats one--then maybe upgrading the OS or re-installing it again will cure the issue (and any others). (and PS, I love Win-7 )

Bottom line, The only difference between your hardware and mine is their makers (Lenovo vs Dell) and that don't count so it has to be in the OS. Check it out because I'm running both programs just fine and so you should be able also.
Best of luck! and BTW, I think you'll really like ATOFL and MW...they're great alternate world type games.
Apology unnecessary. (Although I've noted many posts where members first answer is "Buy, ya cheapskate!")

To clarify. MY machine is a 15 yr. old Win XP pc, subbing for my Win 98 pc needing work. (I still use DOS programs - don't laugh - some do things better than anything newer.)

My WIFES machine is Win 7. Bookkeeping, word processing & e-mail. Only other things going on are background malware protection, and whatever crap M$ decided was "necessary". I do periodic maintenance, perhaps I've missed something. Appreciate the thought, and will check it out, but the game, much as I would love to explore it, is not that important to me. Still, I stand by my opinion on forewarning prospective players on possible playability issues up-front.

lordlundar

Sep 30, 2017
Please define what a "dedicated Graphics card" is, and why mention of its necessity is not prominently mentioned in the OP. The assumption that anyone interested in the game already has specialized hardware necessary just to start the game seems based on the idea that if you don't have such, you're not a true "gamer", and therefore don't matter.
Allow me to answer this:

There are two general types of graphic chipsets: Dedicated and Integrated. Dedicated chipsets are the video cards you see online with either Nvidia (eg Geforce 2070 RTX) or AMD (eg RADEON 5700) chipsets in them. They utilize their own resources for data processing (technically, with the right jury-rigging they could be their own, albiet extremely low spec computers) and connect to the system through the expansion cards. The downsides are that they're an additional purchase, usually expensive for a decent card, and more often than not need additional power connections to the card.

Integrated chipsets are ones built into the motherboard itself. If you have video ports coming from the input/output area (where all your USB , ethernet, etc are plugged into on the back) then you have an integrated chipset. Laptops and smaller devices have these by default. They don't cost anything extra as they're part of the motherboard itself, but the major drawback is that they utilize your system resources instead of having their own. To maintain system stability, the manufacturer heavily restricts what can be used by the chipset, limiting it's performance. As such, integrated chipsets tend to be insufficient for high end gaming or with games with poor to negligible optimization like this one.

Now as for the "true gamer" remark, it's not that case, but if you're going to do any gaming where graphical quality is a factor, integrated chipsets just do not hold a candle to a dedicated video card.

To clarify. MY machine is a 15 yr. old Win XP pc, subbing for my Win 98 pc needing work. (I still use DOS programs - don't laugh - some do things better than anything newer.)
Not gonna laugh, I know it all to well, though that might be part of the issue. Windows XP 32-bit data processing while most stuff out these days require 64-bit processing (Win7 has reliable 64-bit and Win8 and Win10 have it as default)

anoldscrewup

Nov 13, 2019
Allow me to answer this:

There are two general types of graphic chipsets: Dedicated and Integrated...

Now as for the "true gamer" remark, it's not that case, but if you're going to do any gaming where graphical quality is a factor, integrated chipsets just do not hold a candle to a dedicated video card.

Not gonna laugh, I know it all to well, though that might be part of the issue. Windows XP 32-bit data processing while most stuff out these days require 64-bit processing (Win7 has reliable 64-bit and Win8 and Win10 have it as default)
Thank you for the exposition. I know the distinction. A dedicated graphics card is specialized, add-on equipment marketed to "true" gamers, who demand bleedin', screamin' cutting edge performance, or "serious" graphic artists who want their works to be the eye-poppinest.

The question was rhetorical to Kerni, as to what he considers a sufficiently powerful enough card to run his game, and why that shouldn't be a consideration to mention to prospective players who might be interested in the game. "integrated chipsets just do not hold a candle to a dedicated video card" may very well be true in a general sense, but in this specific case, I find it hard to believe that every single one of those players who have succesfully run the game have "dedicated" graphics cards. There may, in fact, be integrated chipsets on some pcs that are at least a match for a low-end gaming card.

Apparently, now, it is insufficient to simply say that a game (or app, or any software) requires XX-bits, or OS-Y. Now, one needs to know if one's graphics card meets industry standard Z. That may be the wave of the future, or its birth in the present, but devs shoud recognize that fact, recognize not everyone is on the cutting edge, and be considerate enough to start forewarning prospective players.

I accept that in an independantly developed game I may encounter the odd crash here and there. It comes with the territory. If you can't even start the game... well....

BTW, if you read my post, you would know I was trying to run this on Win 7, 64-bit. The XP comment was an aside. I still would like a definitive answer as to what is deficient about my card, in that, Kerni found it "an absolute wonder" that the game started at all, before crashing.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
Oh my :)

To clarify for caju, this is what reallly bugs me -

From the OP:
Installation:

1- Extract to desired location.
2- Click on AATOFL.exe to start playing.

Pheww.. Good thing i did not wrote that (I have a excuse xD)
(it was the one who started this thread and this was not me ^_^)

This is what i wrote in the readme file as well as the OFFICIAL download on my patreon page :

Some technical details :

- About 14500 VN frames.
- 5 GB unpacked
- Using DX 11

- Needs about 5! GB of RAM (heavy texture load , please consider to use the half texture resolution load!)

Not the best still but.. something.

I adde dthe sentence ion my read me to :

- Using DX 11 (built in grpahics card may not work ?)

Please define what a "dedicated Graphics card" is, and why mention of its necessity is not prominently mentioned in the OP. The assumption that anyone interested in the game already has specialized hardware necessary just to start the game seems based on the idea that if you don't have such, you're not a true "gamer", and therefore don't matter.

(BTW, what's wrong with my graphics card?)
What is a dedicated graphcis card

lordlundar
Made a way better explenation then i ever could >_<

@(BTW, what's wrong with my graphics card?)

I guess (a wild guess) is that the built in graphic card from your INTEL CPU is not realyl capable of storing all the textures needed since it has no dedicated graphics RAM and uses also the normal CPU ram.

@ The question was rhetorical to@ Kerni, as to what he considers a sufficiently powerful enough card to run his game
Mhnn... no idea xD
And since you get the game for free here you can just download and try out without need to buy anything =)

Apparently, now, it is insufficient to simply say that a game (or app, or any software) requires XX-bits, or OS-Y. Now, one needs to know if one's graphics card meets industry standard Z. That may be the wave of the future, or its birth in the present, but devs shoud recognize that fact, recognize not everyone is on the cutting edge, and be considerate enough to start forewarning prospective players.
It was like that when i was a child... so.. 25 years ago... o_O

Anyway , no money was lost and no one got hurt :D

Reactions: F1_V10

anoldscrewup

Nov 13, 2019
Oh my :)

Pheww.. Good thing i did not wrote that (I have a excuse xD)
(it was the one who started this thread and this was not me ^_^)

This is what i wrote in the readme file as well as the OFFICIAL download on my patreon page :

Some technical details :

- About 14500 VN frames.
- 5 GB unpacked
- Using DX 11

- Needs about 5! GB of RAM (heavy texture load , please consider to use the half texture resolution load!)

Not the best still but.. something.

I adde dthe sentence ion my read me to :

- Using DX 11 (built in grpahics card may not work ?)

What is a dedicated graphcis card

lordlundar
Made a way better explenation then i ever could >_<

@(BTW, what's wrong with my graphics card?)

I guess (a wild guess) is that the built in graphic card from your INTEL CPU is not realyl capable of storing all the textures needed since it has no dedicated graphics RAM and uses also the normal CPU ram.

@ The question was rhetorical to@ Kerni, as to what he considers a sufficiently powerful enough card to run his game
Mhnn... no idea xD
And since you get the game for free here you can just download and try out without need to buy anything =)

It was like that when i was a child... so.. 25 years ago... o_O

Kerni, once again, let me say, I am not trying to be derogatory towards you. I would love to be discussing the game content, instead. From everything I have read in this thread, you have done a superb job, and seemed to have earned a reputation of being a decent guy (or girl, - the anonymity of the internet now demands one be open-minded).
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE: While writing this post, I felt compelled to break away and research my graphics chipset. First result was the Intel Driver Support site. It showed driver updates from August, this year for my set. Moving to wife's Win7 machine, checking Device Manager shows version 9.something, 9/2013, 2GB graphics RAM. Using Win7 "Search Online to Update Driver" got "Best driver already installed" msg. Didn't buy it, 'cause I know machines are dumb, almost as dumb as M$ thinks WE are. Back to Intel site, shows v15.46, 08/2020, Win7 (?). DL'd & installed their Support Assistant, shows (1) update available. Installed updated driver, now have version 10.something, 8/2020, 1GB (*?*) graphics RAM, some additional settings options in Control Panel (left them alone), and both games now run just fine in the highest settings, though I found the text too slow, and lowered them to "Beautiful"/"High".

Currently am trapped behind guardrail in hanger, trying to install fusion device, because I can't jump over it, so will restart a new game, but at least now I have a chance to see what all the fuss is about for myself.

Still, am going to continue with this post, because I think this is an issue worth highlighting.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

But the fact that you have pushed this game to the cutting edge has brought the issue of graphics chipset specs, and the expectation of prospective players to be advised upfront of that consideration, to the forefront, so let me take your response piece by piece.

Kerni: "This is what i wrote in the readme file as well as the OFFICIAL download..."

Up until a month or so back, broadband internet was unavailable to me, and I had to learn patience with DSL. At that time, a 10MB download took 1 minute. 1.85GB would take over 3 hours to download, additional time to unpack, before ever getting to the "readme" file. Thankfully, that is behind me now. It only took about 8 minutes for the download. From other threads I've read, there is an assumption on the part of many posters that broadband is universal. It is not. (You mentioned childhood 25 years back... I'm old enough to have endured 300 baud modems. That's 2.25KB a minute, or roughly 613 days to download your game.)

Kerni: "- Needs about 5! GB of RAM (heavy texture load , please consider to use the half texture resolution load!)"

Doesn't specify graphics RAM, just RAM. (Given the "Update" above, 8GB cpu RAM, 1GB graphics RAM, a dedicated card doesn't seem necessary, though the texture load still needs the RAM, regardless of its location. (I suspect that's where optimization would help the most. Must all textures be loaded before being needed?) As I recall, when graphics cards were first being introduced, the card was to assist by offloading graphics functions the cpu was capable of performing, in order not to bog down the cpu. At least theoretically, present-day cards should not perform operations the main cpu is incapable of.)

Kerni: "I added the sentence ion my read me to :
- Using DX 11 (built in graphics card may not work ?)"

I appreciate you are open-minded about this, but consider adding a "Developer's Note" to the OP.

Kerni: "I guess (a wild guess) is that the built in graphic card from your INTEL CPU is not realyl capable of storing all the textures needed since it has no dedicated graphics RAM and uses also the normal CPU ram."
anoldscrewup: "... what he considers..."
Kerni: "Mhnn... no idea xD"

See, this is part of the problem. While the availability of ready-made game engines opens up a world of possibilities for devs and players, it is probably a very rare dev who will delve into the intricacies of the engines themselves. Easier to just trust the engine-maker's docs. I have no doubt you know far more about the Unity engine than I do (to be honest, practically nothing), but beyond knowing what it is capable of doing, do you know what it can't? Do you know whether a bug is yours or its? Although there are always going to be players whose knowledge of the engine is more extensive than yours, most players will unfairly assume you are an expert. I know the fun and satisfaction is in producing the content, but it is always helpful to understand your tools.

anoldscrewup: (Comment about needing to know graphic standards in advance.)

Kerni: "It was like that when i was a child... so.. 25 years ago... "

Yes, and no. Twenty-five years ago, I'd already been dealing with computers for 15-20 years. Sure you knew Super VGA wouldn't run on a CGA only machine, but you didn't really have to know whether version 7.4.1367a of some driver was substantially different than version 7.4.1367d. Most independently developed software was being written in ASM or C (or even BASIC), from the ground up, not wrapped around a pre-existing engine. (That has a lot to do with why I still prefer some very old DOS programs.)

Kerni: "And since you get the game for free here you can just download and try out without need to buy anything =)
"
I've heard that before. Sure, no money changed hands, but at least some posters and players pay you back by being alpha/beta testors, providing bug reports, reporting playability issues, reviewing the game, spreading word-of-mouth, and providing YOU, the artist, with, if you are honest with yourself, the very human sense that your efforts at creating your work is appreciated by others. They have given their time (an extremely valuable commodity) to you, as a reward for being good at what is essentially a hobby, 'cause I doubt you're in it for the money.

Anyway, enough ranting by me. Just wanted to get some things off my chest. I'm off to play a game.

Josephkink_2H

Aug 15, 2020
I need help-I downloaded the .96 version for Mac, which opened ok. Then I downloaded the Patch and The Readme tells me to "just copy the folder -Managed- and insert it into your -AATOFL_Data- folder." The problem is that my AATOFL doesn't have a Data folder but the Contents folder once I right-click the app does. Do I put that Managed folder there?

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
I need help-I downloaded the .96 version for Mac, which opened ok. Then I downloaded the Patch and The Readme tells me to "just copy the folder -Managed- and insert it into your -AATOFL_Data- folder." The problem is that my AATOFL doesn't have a Data folder but the Contents folder once I right-click the app does. Do I put that Managed folder there?
Hello there ,
Unfortunately , the patch does only work for the windows version of the game since the MAC and LINUX versions are unsupported ones.
You should be able to make a playthrough since the patch does not fix anything critical.
And btw , in the game settings you may have to use the "savegame walkaround" so you can actually save your game on MC and LINUX based systems.

Hope this helps a bit ^_^

anoldscrewup

Nov 13, 2019
@Kerni
I've been accused in the past of writing "walls of words". I'm going to try to avoid that, so if I unintentionally offend you, it is just that, unintentional.

At the moment, Victor is preparing to shower in anticipation of "the blowjob process". I stopped and saved there, so don't know what happens next.

I have read through this thread twice, once for tech solutions, once for story notes. There have been numerous comments regards spelling, grammar, etc. I am running OOB, without any of the spellcheck mods.

You have self-denigrated your English language mastery. ("grpahics ", ""graphics"), but I suspect in your own native language, whatever that may be, you are an eloquent speaker. I was struck by the way you managed to articulate Aemi's explanation of her acceptance of Victor's "ownership". Despite such errors as "archive" instead of "achieve", the sense of what was meant, the concept, came through loud and clear. Applause! (I don't use emojis.)

I hold the conceit that I am an accomplished reader, and though I might have to re-read something twice or thrice to grasp what is being said (not just your game, stuff written by people fluent in English), I understand that is not true of many people. Some are so distracted by spelling or grammar, they can't digest what is being said.

You must admit that the dialogue is central to the game. Despite the brilliant graphics, Aemi would not have been capable of expressing this simply through graphics, or even actions shown via graphics.

The ability to tell a story without dialogue is rare genius. To illustrate, there is a website, , devoted to MMD (MikuMikuDance software) creations. The vast majority of creators on the site tend to concentrate on the sexuality of music and choreography with one-off videos. A rare few try to tell a story wrapped around that music & choreography, and even they will occasionally use dialogues and sub-titles to flesh it out. Even fewer try to carry the story across two or three videos. To my knowledge, only one artist has has done so over a span of 80 or so videos. The link to his video galleries is . He has created more videos than that, but I am speaking particularly of the series Google translates as "Tetra's Melancholy", though I suspect it would be more accurate as "Tetra's Corruption". (Tetra is the young straight-haired brunette in the video thumbnails.) There may in fact be audio dialogue in Japanese, or the song lyrics may be central to the story, but I mute all that. Facial expressions, and character actions say everything that needs to be said.

To my point: I appreciate you don't want to revisit AAOTFL to retro-fit the dialogue. I appreciate you are probably midway through Milky Way, and don't want to retro-fit dialogue. (I haven't played any of it yet, but assume your English mastery has broadened since the early days of AAOTFL.)

This is intended as advice, before you begin your next game. (You love what you do, that is apparent, and I doubt you'll give it up.) Find someone early in the process to collaborate with on the dialogue. (I know, easier said than done.) Not only will it be more beneficial to the art, the back-and-forth with such a collaborator will enhance your own mastery of the language.

BTW, judging by your posts, your English is not half-bad. I have no "ear" for any language but English. If I were dropped in a foreign country, I suspect I would be beaten to death within a few days for unintentionally insulting the wrong person.

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
@Kerni

You have self-denigrated your English language mastery. ("grpahics ", ""graphics"), but I suspect in your own native language, whatever that may be, you are an eloquent speaker. I was struck by the way you managed to articulate Aemi's explanation of her acceptance of Victor's "ownership". Despite such errors as "archive" instead of "achieve", the sense of what was meant, the concept, came through loud and clear. Applause! (I don't use emojis.)
Y..yes... me bad english >_<

The ability to tell a story without dialogue is rare genius. To illustrate, there is a website, , devoted to MMD (MikuMikuDance software) creations. The vast majority of creators on the site tend to concentrate on the sexuality of music and choreography with one-off videos. A rare few try to tell a story wrapped around that music & choreography, and even they will occasionally use dialogues and sub-titles to flesh it out. Even fewer try to carry the story across two or three videos. To my knowledge, only one artist has has done so over a span of 80 or so videos. The link to his video galleries is . He has created more videos than that, but I am speaking particularly of the series Google translates as "Tetra's Melancholy", though I suspect it would be more accurate as "Tetra's Corruption". (Tetra is the young straight-haired brunette in the video thumbnails.) There may in fact be audio dialogue in Japanese, or the song lyrics may be central to the story, but I mute all that. Facial expressions, and character actions say everything that needs to be said.
Wow.. he even made a video with the 6th destroyer devision and the brunette you were talking about.
(i like Kantai collection xD)
(and i love to create vrchat avatars with chibis and a somewhat kantai collection relation :D)
UnitedKancolleChibiArm_karlThor.gif
Might i introduce :D
United Kancolle Chibi Army
First super heavy artillery division
Nickname *schnitzel*

To my point: I appreciate you don't want to revisit AAOTFL to retro-fit the dialogue. I appreciate you are probably midway through Milky Way, and don't want to retro-fit dialogue. (I haven't played any of it yet, but assume your English mastery has broadened since the early days of AAOTFL.)
I think at one point i will , i already created a C# executeable which can inject a spelling fix into my native story script.
Maybe imake a steam version at one point but.. we will see ^_^

anoldscrewup

Nov 13, 2019
Y..yes... me bad english >_<
STOP THAT!!! Your English is NOT bad, just unpolished. Keep THAT up and you'll start believing it.

Alright, you may mean it as a self-denigrating joke, but it is a bad habit, and you should think about eliminating it. Stop apologizing to posters for not being a native English speaker.

Last edited:

Josephkink_2H

Aug 15, 2020
Oh my... >_<

So. i never made a walkthrough for this game since it is very straightforward and you will never encounter a bad end.

If you want to know what you should be doing now after you are in the base here is a little insturction
1. after your spaceship landed go into it and use the big blöack devices on the left (your helmet should disappear)
2. then go to upstairs in the hangar and walk to the elevator and use it "button e" and go to the laboratory section
3. use the airlock/passage/scanner to the left and from there on out it is an easy walk (just walk straight forward to the little storage area)

If you encounter a minigame you can either
1 skip it..
2. do it..
3.. win with ctrl+w (works also for the tower defense minigame but not for the chastity trail minigame)

Before you start the game you will see a prompt which lets you set the graphics quality. Try it first with "fastest" and then work your way up until it crashed (I guess the textures are just too much for your RAM)

Hope this helps ^_^
I don't care so much about finding out how to complete games, but I do like to know how much of a game there is to complete, for example this is my VN games folder
Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 1.11.48 PM.png
So, I'd just like to know when I get to the end (preferrably before I do, if possible)

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
I don't care so much about finding out how to complete games, but I do like to know how much of a game there is to complete, for example this is my VN games folder
View attachment 836391
So, I'd just like to know when I get to the end (preferrably before I do, if possible)
Very obvious , the moment you can leave the stattion again with Aemi and Vivian.
This is the end (the credits will roll once you do this)

Reactions: professorx10

Kerni

Game Developer
Oct 9, 2017
I downloaded it yesterday but i don’t what to do
Or how to play
Can someone help?
Hello there ,
Even though i have no idea why people get stuck but i will try my best to solve the situation.

First of all please have a look into the main directory ofthe game , there should be the keyboard layout as a PNG file.

Second , i assume you are stuck in the little spaceship right at the beginning.

Please walk to the back of the ship and to your right there should be a helmet , take it (walk close to it and then press "E" when you see a icon)
Then walk to the panel (also on the backside ofthe ship left of the main door ) and use it (press e)
Then you are in space , glide with WASD towards the right little door beneath th big door (the door with the blinking red light) (once you are close enough a event will start automatically and you are in the main station)
Then look around , there should be a machine with a red light right next to some cargo boxes (a big machine)
Go near and active it (your spaceship should be flying into the station)
After that gop into your spaceship and use the machine on the left and then follow the things Aemi tells you to do .
From there on out it should be a walk in the park :)

Hope this helps a bit

Reactions: F1_V10
4.40 star(s) 55 Votes