HTML Accidental Mind [v3.5] [Myscra]

4.60 star(s) 42 Votes

PyoT

Sep 3, 2020
I disagree with the back arrow. That shouldn't be used as a text log - it's going back in passage history, and recalculating things - as it should. Yes, you can mitigate the random event effect (as an example), but if you go far enough back you'll recreate the issue. And it can be equally as valuable for other playes to use it to get a different outcome, or to circumvent a bug that might be in one random event and not in another.

If a log is desired that should be done through adding a text log, not through mucking with the passage history. But that sounds like way too much.

Also, on the navigation stuff; that I agree with generally (at least that you definitely should not end up in a loop), but it's also a pain in the arse to handle, so it's easier said than done.

Details, yeah, ideally everything would be perfect but it's also so easy to get bogged down in those trivial details instead of making proper progress ...

The Cerebralite text in the beginning I'm fairly sure is not supposed to be actually read ^^;

As for the "empty" town and the jobs ... yeah, kinda agree with those, but not a big priority in my opinion.

eptz

Jan 9, 2020
I disagree with the back arrow. That shouldn't be used as a text log - it's going back in passage history, and recalculating things - as it should. Yes, you can mitigate the random event effect (as an example), but if you go far enough back you'll recreate the issue. And it can be equally as valuable for other playes to use it to get a different outcome, or to circumvent a bug that might be in one random event and not in another.

If a log is desired that should be done through adding a text log, not through mucking with the passage history. But that sounds like way too much.
Let's say you are on the Main Street and press Wait and Observe. You get an event you don't like or a bug so you press the left arrow. I think that from there the right arrow should take you back to the event you came back from, and retracing your steps; in this case pressing Wait and Observe again should reroll the event. This way you can both avoid the bug like you said, and use the arrows as a log if you do not touch anything else.
Also, on the navigation stuff; that I agree with generally (at least that you definitely should not end up in a loop), but it's also a pain in the arse to handle, so it's easier said than done.
Like I said I have little experience with html and twine, so I might be wrong, but on contrary to what you are saying it seems to me that fix there is simple - connect the back buttons in the menus on the left to the aforementioned left arrow. Except the variables menu, of course.
Never mind I see the problem.
Details, yeah, ideally everything would be perfect but it's also so easy to get bogged down in those trivial details instead of making proper progress ...

The Cerebralite text in the beginning I'm fairly sure is not supposed to be actually read ^^;

As for the "empty" town and the jobs ... yeah, kinda agree with those, but not a big priority in my opinion.
I didn't want it to seem like I'm saying that the things I am talking about should have a big priority or that they make the game unplayable. It's just that, at least for me, I like to work on smaller things or fixing less meaningful bugs. It makes me feel like I'm still making progress, while giving me time to rest from the main work. I have huge respect for the artist and don't want to influence the creation too much. I'm merely giving suggestions.

Last edited:

Myscra

Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
Myscra

Thanks as always for update and continued development. Eagerly awaiting next update. :D
Thanks!

I've been wondering: is this The Incredibles or The Venture Brothers?
That's a good question. I'm a big fan of both so probably a mixture. Some of the bad guys definitely fall into the more venture brothers side of things.

trying to do blaire's lvl 5 dream, i got the key from the men's locker but i cant seem to find how to get to the coach's office, any help?

NVM i found it by going through the girl's locker room? from the description when you first enter the field house it makes it sound like you go to the weights room to go upstairs to the team administration offices, not the gym room -> girl's locker -> coach office

does going dedicated with blaire put and end to the others, or can it progress to a more harem-like mindset for her? or do i go FWB for her to be accepting of MC sleeping arround? i want to keep her but dont want her sleeping around unless MC is involved
The next update gives a bit more insight into this for Blaire (I'm adding dialogue options for her).

Myscra: Any intent to allow any kind of branching in the MC's behavior? So far, it seems like he's more or less a good guy and he's upset at the corruption of the 'superheroes' society. Are you planning to have a route where he basically just abandons morality and becomes a full on "break their wills no matter what they want" supervillain, or will he remain largely an anti-hero?
Pretty much as is. Maybe a bit more cynical as he grows in power but he is a fundamentally nice guy.

I'll take these point by point.
I enjoyed the game very much so I decided to share the things I didn't like, in hope that the game can become even better:

I.
When I read I often tend to go back a few pages. Sometimes it's because of the reincorporation of some details, other times its because I just skip the text I thought I read and then I go back when I realize that I was wrong. When that happens and I use the arrows on the top left to go back, random events tend to get re-rolled and so I can't read what I wanted to read ("Wait and Observe" and work events) I don't know HTML too well, but it seems easy enough to fix by changing how you pick the random numbers.
I played around a lot with this and there are no perfect solutions, unfortunately. Take the wait and observe events for example, if I set the randomness to when you enter the area, you would have to leave and reenter to get a different event.

II.
Some random events should happen only once; the main character shouldn't be surprised multiple times that the old man can see him, or scenes like Kiara dancing while invisible at Mel's: at least have her acknowledge that she is not doing this for the first time.
It actually bothers me too so I'll admit that this is pure laziness. I would have to go through and make two versions of each event.

III.
I must have missed hanging out with Blaire at the earlier connection level so when the text mentions that Mary and Inami are "not as outwardly hostile as before" it is wrong because it is my first time meeting them. I know it would be hard to cover every edge case like that and I do not expect you to but it would greatly add to the immersion.
This is similar to number 2, just laziness on my part. One day I'll go back and clean these up.

IV.
Since there is no back button in the main "Events" menu going into any of the sub-menus and then pressing back only adds to the stack related to Top-Left arrows. I can think of a few easy ways to fix that and I am pretty sure you do too. I know it's a small issue and that menu is supposed to be for developer mode so it's even smaller but I am a perfectionist.
Ah yeah, I get that one. I'll add in a back button for the man events. Your right that I've generally ignored it since it's a dev thing

V.
If you go into the variables menu, then press the "Spacetime portal" button and the keep pressing "back" you get stuck in a loop. This is again a not a big problem, but I know from experience that it can lead to some. Try to reuse code, it will help with bugs.
Similar to above. I'll add in a button to bring you out. The return was just the easiest option at the time.

VI.
I find Prisms text hard to read. It's partly my fault - I changed the passage color to black, but I would appreciate the option to change her color or to simply turn off those fonts with borders.
I'll look into it and see what I can do.

VII.
At the beginning when Cerebralite's text is very small I tried a combination of Ctrl and scrolling to actually read that, and the screen falls apart for me at 250% zoom. This is again something small enough that I am not actually expecting you to fix that, especially that there are other way to read what he says.
That's on purpose.

VIII.
The city feels empty. It feels nice when I "bump" into someone when I am just walking through, but I feel it happens too rarely. I guess this will change as you add more Npc's, but this is the main reason I felt like "shelfing" this game to check on it in two years or so, btw I really hope you will hold on making this game until then. Also the gym could use some utility, outside meeting with Blaire.
I agree and it is on my list of things to do. I'm setting up a template for NPC's and will be adding a few each update. I plan on sticking with this as long as I can. It's good stress relief.

IX.
Paycheck differences. I am getting payed 6 times more at the library than at La lune. It might be that faster money gain I checked on is applied inconsistently (then you can treat that as a bug), but even if not, it discourages working at La Lune and by this makes you miss many events even though it takes equally no effort to get both jobs.
I have rebalancing money on my list. I will also add in events and NPC's tied with each job.

X.
When starting the game I checked "Include debug menus" even though I was not planning to use them, cause why not, and because of that I encountered the bug like #V. You could separate or label the debug menus to make it more obvious which ones are they. Saves, setting and restart are already in their own little box so you could create a box like that for debug menus.
That's not a bad idea. I might add in another box under the phone to put them in. I'll see what looks best.

XI.
You could add a warning in the settings that the text will be invisible when the user tries to make it the same color as the background.

I rarely speak or write so I am sorry if this reads a little strange. I am still working on sounding like a real human being.

Writing this many problems I realize that it may sound like I didn't like your work and I want to make it clear this is not the case. I deeply enjoy your writing and because of that I want to end this post with a Thank You.
For what it's worth, I didn't notice anything strange about your writing. Also, thanks for the ideas. I can't make the game better if people don't share with me what they like and dislike. I'm glad you enjoyed it enough to even care for it improving.

A lot of the issues stem from A) me being lazy, B) me having limited time to write so I have to prioritize, C) hold over's from when I had even less coding knowledge than I do now.

Malleee

Mar 13, 2018
I played around a lot with this and there are no perfect solutions, unfortunately. Take the wait and observe events for example, if I set the randomness to when you enter the area, you would have to leave and reenter to get a different event.
A fix would be a "Return to Event start" button that knows which event you are in currently and resets it.

Not saying it should be there but it could if you like.

herbz

Apr 30, 2018
I honestly don't understand how this game doesn't have more recognition, there is a serious amount of content, a good story and likeable characters. What's not to love?

smkey21

Nov 15, 2017
I honestly don't understand how this game doesn't have more recognition, there is a serious amount of content, a good story and likeable characters. What's not to love?
The number one reason is that it is a text only game. People like pictures. It's to the point that people will pass on games if the images aren't high enough resolution, or they don't have animations. Text only games aren't even on the radar for many people. The mental manipulation theme that's core to the game is also something that is going to be too tame for some, and too extreme for others. I agree with you that the story is really good, and I think that the characters are some of the most well written I have seen, but there are certainly hurdles that make it unlikely to appeal to a wider audience.

Myscra

Game Developer
Jul 14, 2017
I also don't really promote the game particularly, so that's an issue. F95zone is really the only place I have it up. I had a hypnopics collective thread awhile go but never updated it past the first.

The number one reason is that it is a text only game. People like pictures. It's to the point that people will pass on games if the images aren't high enough resolution, or they don't have animations. Text only games aren't even on the radar for many people. The mental manipulation theme that's core to the game is also something that is going to be too tame for some, and too extreme for others. I agree with you that the story is really good, and I think that the characters are some of the most well written I have seen, but there are certainly hurdles that make it unlikely to appeal to a wider audience.
I agree, these are big issues as well and pretty much baked into the game. I'd like to get pictures eventually (havent even thought about animations!) but since I can't do them myself, I have to rely on commission work. Even that may be problematic unless I can find someone who a) has a style I like, and b) wants in on the game long term.

ERkjrk

Sep 15, 2021
I'm getting frustrated at this part. I am trying to do the part with Prism in Downtown, but no matter what I do, I don't get any event with her. I've done all conversation options about
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Is this just an extremely low chance, or am I missing something?

Edit: I guess it was just an extremely low chance, because it finally happened about 5 minutes after I made this post.

Last edited:

Malleee

Mar 13, 2018
Edit: I guess it was just an extremely low chance, because it finally happened about 5 minutes after I made this post.
Excuse me if this is a double post, first one seems to have not appeared.
The story line quests all seem to be conditionally triggered, either you meet the conditions or you don't. There's a section called "Downtownrandomevents" in the code, but everything is set based off your prism.rap, stroryline.prisimquest and prism.enj levels.

What was the event? (I'm interested to see if it is random.)

May 10, 2017
I started a new game using the skip options and such. Tried talking to Blaire's dreamform.

All of the options give this error message:

Error: <<if>>: assignment operator found within <<elseif>> clause (#1) (perhaps you meant to use an equality operator: ==, ===, eq, is), invalid: $convoSelect to 2

Feb 22, 2018
Looks like my old saves give some errors in the new version. <<SpotCheck>>: error within widget contents (Error: <<set>>: bad evaluation: Cannot set properties of undefined (setting 'locat'))
I can still play, but maybe some of the buttons are broken.

chipsiup

Aug 12, 2016
Uh, I somehow hit a "Cliffhanger Ending" and couldn't keep playing after day 125. Was there a time limit in the game? That wasn't at all obvious, or did I do something wrong? I don't think I've maxed out Prism's suspicions since I keep picking "on second thought" unless somehow the variables aren't being reset properly when I click that.

chipsiup

Aug 12, 2016
Also, any reason why the debug menu can only get Kiara's level up from 1 to 3? I was messing around trying to see the other variations on scenes and couldn't get it to reset back to 5.

May 10, 2017
Little odds and ends bugs:
Training with prisms in the fields advances time twice, once when you start the action and once when you hit continue. (so you go from morning to evening) You can actually escape out of the second time jump by using the taxi from the menu. Which is both a convenient work around and potentially a sequence breaker in other situations.

If you arrange a hangout with Prism, and then do anything other than just continue in the morning menu. (looking at list of constructs for instance) the hangout will be skipped.

>>> Crystal is just as close to you as normal.
The purple text indicates an increase, but it appears that this message actually means no change. ("normal" is also kind of a vague and undefined term in this case.)

chipsiup

Aug 12, 2016
Completely stuck on Prism's dreamscape, can't get past the Giga Cannon. I know I should get the security drone to follow me, but it always gets shot by the miniguns before I can lead it back to the Cannon.

Reactions: cantwakeup111

revealer

Mar 28, 2017
Thank you for the addition of Adelaine. I started playing after stumbling onto your game on a recommendation thread, and while I am not interested in the ever-expanding genre of superheroes, the corruption and mallability drew me in and your take on the mind control angle of encouraging traits in women made it even better. And now we have the original trophy wife in and even more extensive than imagined - at least for me, as it is not clear if Blaire will follow her mother's footsteps afterall.

In general your game is continously great, even replaying the Blaire and Kiara content every quarter is a treat, as there are regular additions to the them, besides continuing your main story.

That was actually a thought for Blaire at one point because I had her mother as one of the planet women, I may still include her getting a boob job in a later iteration (especially for the non-housewife endstate). As for Kiara, most of her issues stem less from her weight and more from her rejection of her sexuality, i.e shes not hiding her body because shes overweight, its becuase she dosent like having her huge rack stared at (Also, I like chunky cute). You absolutely hit the nail on the head for Liane, that's precisely where I am going with it. Lets just say, she has the opposite issue than her daughter, deep down she likes being looked at a bit too much...

Thanks!

Last edited:

AM97

Oct 9, 2017
I'm getting this at the poker table and Sam's hints for Prism are stuck at the first time I dreamwalk with her. Anyone know what I have to do ?

chipsiup

Aug 12, 2016
Bug:

I haven't played any of the poker yet, but the option to talk to Prism about the Tychai already came up. After that I got the scene where I meet them in the club and get access to the VIP. I'm pretty sure this wasn't the right order the events were supposed to trigger. I'm also not sure if I can get to play poker at all now.

Reactions: slappy slap slap
4.60 star(s) 42 Votes